PDA

View Full Version : Covers you'd like to see

ElfLad
2007-02-24, 12:47 AM
Ever heard a song and thought how perfect it would be for another artist? Whether they're possible or can only exist in a fantasy realm, post them here.

A Man I'll Never Be performed by Bob Dylan
Original Artist: Boston
Twisted Reasoning: Tom Scholz of Boston is notorious for his elaborately produced arena rock songs, and A Man I'll Never Be is great, but it just begs to be sung as a soft, laid-back ballad. And there's really none that can do it better than Dylan. Ideally, it'd be Desire-era Dylan, but I'll take what I can get.

Gallows Pole performed by Jimi Hendrix
Original Artist: Led Zeppelin
Twisted Reasoning: Well, for obvious reasons, this could never happen, but the song is really suited to a lot of stuff Jimi's done, and the already-good guitar could become something magnificent in Hendrix's hands.

Free Bird performed by Jimi Hendrix
Original Artist: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Twisted Reasoning: You know you want it, too. :smalltongue:

Amotis
2007-02-24, 12:50 AM
Gah, no! There's a reason why Homer Simpson called Jimmy Page "one of the greatest theives of black american music."

Gallows Pole is a blues tune made famous by Leadbelly (or Ledbetter if you're old skool) and originally a traditional tune.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-24, 01:12 AM
Minor Swing by Django Reinhardt covered by Stevie Ray Vaughn. I know this couldn't happen, but I would like to hear what a song written by a guitar genius would sound like reinterpreted by one of the best electric guitarists ever, and one of the best blues guitarists ever.

Amotis
2007-02-24, 01:16 AM
They're pretty different styles though. Reinhardt was gypsy jazz. SRV was blues. I'm not sure how that would work. Not doubting their skills, both awesome musicians, but I'm not sure how it would translate.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-24, 01:19 AM
That is the point- I want to hear SRV's personal interpretation of the song- how he would make it blues. I like quirky covers that are a different genre than the original song.

Amotis
2007-02-24, 01:21 AM
Yeah, that point was floating in my head and I take back what I said. Though SRV's style isn't the most creative or signature style out there. I would much rather have someone like Frank Zappa or Wilco (with their new guitarist) do something like that.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-24, 01:23 AM
I just like blues, although a Zappa cover would be crazy.

Khantalas
2007-02-24, 08:42 PM
Lethe originally by Dark Tranquility, to be performed by Blessid Union of Souls.

Twisted Reasoning: Aren't you the least bit curious?

The Extinguisher
2007-02-25, 01:12 AM
Behind Blue Eyes preformed by Say Anything
Original Artist: The Who
Reasoning: An awesome song and an awesome band. My head would combust from the awesomeness. That and my brain works in mysterious ways

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-25, 01:19 AM
Lethe originally by Dark Tranquility, to be performed by Blessid Union of Souls.

Twisted Reasoning: Aren't you the least bit curious?

I'd like to hear why. Never heard BUoS, but Dark Tranquility is amazing, and I rather like Lethe.

ElfLad
2007-02-25, 01:30 AM
I am the Walrus performed by They Might Be Giants
Original Artist: The Beatles
Twisted Reasoning: TMBG excel at the quirky little songs. This, however, would be a total hit or miss. They could go a whole new direction with it and make it just as awesome, but in a different way, or they could stick too close to the original and it wouldn't be anything special.

Amotis
2007-02-25, 02:02 AM
God's Gonna Cut You Down (http://youtube.com/watch?v=1e0EQlQXoEo) (Also know as Run On, a traditional tune) done by Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Oringinally done by Johnny Cash (Under that title, under Run On it's been done by a lot of people and has no definate songwritter)
Twisted Reasoing: Despite these two amazing artists/groups being gone (hopefully not long for GY!BE) but I can see this song going awesome. Add GY!BE's drones, minor, draw out, down tempo silent fuming touch, throw in a few freakishly appropriate samples, keep the dark percussion, add a distant operetic tenor voice singing with an even more distant choir backing on certain lines (Like the John line). Loop it. Filter it. Add strings. Awesome. I hear it now.

edito - plus the irony of the artists playing it is awesome too. Cash? The guy who wrote cocaine blues, doing a song against sin? Hehehe.