PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help with a character build [3.5/Pathfinder/stuff]

DragonKnight
2014-06-20, 08:38 AM
Looking at an upcoming desert themed game, and had my initial character class idea shot down pretty quickly.

I'm looking to play an adventurer type character that I've dabbled with in a few one shots. The initial idea was Bard, but I don't think the Bard skills would really benefit this group. The typical buffed Inspire build, but the other two people, one of them is a purely support Wizard, and the other will be combat, so if I aim for pure inspire, it would go slightly wasted I think.

Anyway, to change things up, I was looking at Factotum. Always looked neat, sounds like it could be fun, and I barely got past asking my DM if we had a copy of Dungeonscape before she said "You can't play a Factotum." Says they don't exactly work with how magic/stuff works in her setting. Cool. I can totally understand that.

Anyway, I'm at a loss. I'm kind of thinking a Bard/Exemplar/Uncanny Trickster build and do something similar to a real-gaming-world Dashing Swordsman type, despite my combat functionality probably revolving around throwing knives while not acting like a bard in character.

TL;DR:

I want to play an adventurer type, storytelling dungeon delver. Can't play my initial choice of Factotum, and I feel like a pure Bard-inspire Courage build would be wasted. Any tips/ideas?

DragonkingUs20
2014-06-20, 09:09 AM
I'd say Rogue with a slightly higher Charisma would be a good way to go. A rogue would allow you to be a dexterous knife throwing adventurer, supplemented by a higher Charisma playing into the storytelling aspect of the character's personality. Considering that you only listed a wizard and a combat oriented character as your other party members, a rogue should compliment the characteristics of the party.

Xerlith
2014-06-20, 09:47 AM
You're playing 3.5 or PF with 3.5 materials?

Go with the bard. Really. You can out-rogue any rogue, and this archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/dawnflower-dervish) makes you a formidable frontline combatant since you don't have to buff anyone else but yourself. Bard spells give lots of versatility the Rogue lacks.

But if you're a party of three... And two thirds of your party are melee combatants that would benefit from Inspire Courage - how is it wasted in any way? A DFI build would be awesome.

Bard can fill any role in a group. If you want to play a bard, play a bard. Really.

Also, wrong subforum. Poke a mod to move the thread to 3.5/d20

nedz
2014-06-20, 11:00 AM
Rogue 1 / Swashbuckler 3 / Beguiler 1 / Unseen Seer X

Or
Rogue 4 / Beguiler 1 / Unseen Seer X

Or
Spellthief 4 / Beguiler 1 / Unseen Seer X

Or if you want more spells
Rogue 1 / Beguiler 4 / Unseen Seer X

Swap out Rogue Trapfinding via some ACF, see here (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1151316), because Beguiler has this and having it twice would be a waste.

Also: ask this in the 3.5/PF sub-forum and you will get a lot more answers

ProTip:Hit the ! triangle to report the thead to the mods, and then ask them to move it.

DragonKnight
2014-06-20, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the ideas. And sorry for the wrong forum. I haven't been as active in a while and the new layout threw me off! Lol