PDA

View Full Version : scribe scroll + easy metamagic?

Pinkie Pyro
2014-06-20, 12:50 PM
I haven't been able to find anything on this, so;
If I try to make a magic item, but can prepare the spell in a lower level spell slot than normal (metamagic + easy metamagic, or use mind mage to prepare a spell a level lower) do I reduce the spell level in the cost calculations?

Curmudgeon
2014-06-20, 01:47 PM
Nope. Scrolls have fixed costs based on a standard formula (which doesn't vary with spellcasting characteristics), and the effort (time, gp, XP) required are based on those fixed costs. So Easy Metamagic means you can use a lower-level spell slot while crafting with Scribe Scroll, but nothing else changes.

Pinkie Pyro
2014-06-20, 02:19 PM
Nope. Scrolls have fixed costs based on a standard formula (which doesn't vary with spellcasting characteristics), and the effort (time, gp, XP) required are based on those fixed costs. So Easy Metamagic means you can use a lower-level spell slot while crafting with Scribe Scroll, but nothing else changes.

that's true, but also leads to a new disfunction,

A maximized spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

As in, does not actually increase the spell level. meaning you can get free meta magic on created items...

And it still works with mind-mage and sanctum spell, as it lowers the level of the spell, so that's something, at least.

jiriku
2014-06-20, 02:24 PM
The most logical and balanced thing to do is to cost out the casting based on the level of the spell slot you used to prepare the spell. Thus, if you prepared empowered fireball in a 4th level slot (rather than 5th as normal), then cost it as a 4th level spell rather than 5th when scribing it. This is a reasonable fringe benefit for a character who invested three or more feats in being able to scribe this way. However, as DM I'd restrict the availability of NPC casters with this feat combo; otherwise players will be tempted to hit them up for cheap spell scrolls all the time.

Ansem
2014-06-20, 03:38 PM
I haven't been able to find anything on this, so;
If I try to make a magic item, but can prepare the spell in a lower level spell slot than normal (metamagic + easy metamagic, or use mind mage to prepare a spell a level lower) do I reduce the spell level in the cost calculations?
Wouldn't be possible without abusing RAW without errata or obscure things like Sanctum spell..... otherwise MM reducers never reduce below the original level, which would be plain idiotic to begin with.

Pinkie Pyro
2014-06-20, 05:52 PM
The most logical and balanced thing to do is to cost out the casting based on the level of the spell slot you used to prepare the spell. Thus, if you prepared empowered fireball in a 4th level slot (rather than 5th as normal), then cost it as a 4th level spell rather than 5th when scribing it. This is a reasonable fringe benefit for a character who invested three or more feats in being able to scribe this way. However, as DM I'd restrict the availability of NPC casters with this feat combo; otherwise players will be tempted to hit them up for cheap spell scrolls all the time.

yeah, seems like the smart thing is. "you can enchant things for cheaper, but that random NPC wizard isn't going to have the exact feats you need for this."