PDA

View Full Version : festuring anger question

morkendi
2014-06-20, 12:51 PM
Wouldn't the anger affect that makes you attack things be considered an ill effect when used with cancer mage? So you would gain the strength bonus and boils, but nothing else?

Pinkie Pyro
2014-06-20, 01:15 PM
That always seemed like an ill effect to me, but let's face it, it's TO, if your DM allows you to use it, they'll prolly make you roll the save anyway, just to add some sort of penalty to your str:infinity

morkendi
2014-06-20, 02:24 PM
Our game has a cap of 30 in any stat houseruled

Larkas
2014-06-20, 03:33 PM
Our game has a cap of 30 in any stat houseruled

Considering that you can get 36 in a stat with no shenanigans (18 base + 2 racial + 5 due to level up + 5 due to Wish/Manual or Tome + 6 due to ability score enhancing item), that doesn't seem reasonable at all.

Kazudo
2014-06-20, 03:40 PM
My table does a permanent stat cap of 35, which doesn't count base race (to account for variance) or temporary bonuses such as from non-continuous spells. It never really becomes a problem, but it discourages template stacking or similar tricks to this one at least to a degree.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-20, 04:46 PM
Wouldn't the anger affect that makes you attack things be considered an ill effect when used with cancer mage? So you would gain the strength bonus and boils, but nothing else?
I'd consider the boils an ill effect as well. This is why Cancer Mage is overpowered.

Piggy Knowles
2014-06-20, 06:20 PM
I'd consider the boils an ill effect as well. This is why Cancer Mage is overpowered.

Cancer Mage specifically says that you keep any visual ill effects. So, you'd look gross and boil-y, but they wouldn't hinder you mechanically.

toapat
2014-06-20, 06:38 PM

by strictest reading, the anger is a negative effect. However its not Frenzied Berzerker level of no control, its more like Barbarian levels with no off switch.

Personally id force them to have to take it because its not a negative effect nor a possitive

otakumick
2014-06-20, 06:53 PM
a cancer mage suffers no ill effects of diseases, except for purely cosmetic ones such as boils, pockmarks, watery eyes, blackened skin, hair loss, foul smell, and so on. The cancer mage becomes a carrier of every disease he encounters, though he remains immune to most of their effects.

So, the anger would most likely qualify as an ill effect seeing as it has an actual mechanic and is not beneficial. The boils on the other hand are definitely going to be there.

golem1972
2014-06-20, 06:54 PM
I just house rule that the strength bonus caps at twice the penalty your character takes.

No penalty = no bonus.