PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help with a mini BBE in my current campaign

Wacky89
2014-06-20, 01:09 PM
hey so I am currently dm'ing a diablo 2 hack'n'slash campaign. I gave the pc's some hints about this BBE redcap in a cavern.
I gave them some information about him which they recieved from a old adventurer in town. They will know the following: he throws fire which hurts alot and he hits very hard.

The party consists of: Mystic Ranger/Wizard/Swordsage, Barbarian/Fighter, Barbarian/Fighter/Ranger and Bard/Healer

I plan on the encounter being in a dungeon level under the normal dungeon.
His tactic is casting Kelgore's Grave Mist to control the PC's. When the first one makes a attack roll against him he is going to abrupt jaunt into the side of a hollow cavern wall.
Where he starts to buff himself to prepare for the fight, it will probably take the pc's a few rounds to get to him. (I will allow a spot check to see him dissapear and reappear inside the wall.
If/When the first pc comes to attack him again, he will abrupt jaunt outside again. Cast the last few buffs and then go to town. He is a CR 6 for my level 4 party.

I'll add his stats on this spoiler:
Young Redcap Conjurer 5 (Fey)
Small Size
Hit Dice: 4d6+5d4+36 (68 hp)
Initiative:+17(+20)
Speed: 30 ft.
Armor Class: 14(25), touch 13(15), flat-footed 12(20)
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+11(+15)
Attack: +1 Keen Falchion (Crits on 15-20) +13(+17) (1d12+10(15))
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Familiar (Hummingbird), Abrupt Jaunt 5/day, DR 5/Cold Iron, Low-light Vision, Eldritch Stone, Powerful Build
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +10
Abilities: Str 24 (32), Dex 14(20), Con 16, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: +14 Knowledge Local, +13 Spot, +13 Listen, +16 Concentration, +14 Spellcraft
Feats: Quick Reconnitor, Knowledge Devotion, Improved Initiative (B), Spell Focus (Trans), Ability Enhancer, Empower Spell (B), Arcane Thesis (Scorching Ray), Flaw: Love of Nature
Spells: 4/4/3/2
1st: Fist of Stone, Mage Armor, Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Nerveskitter 2nd: Cat’s Grace, Ray of Stupidity, Kelgore's Grave Mist 3rd:2x Empowered Scorching Ray
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: NE

Wacky89
2014-06-21, 03:27 AM
Do you think the encounter is too hard, or is it ok?

Xerlith
2014-06-21, 04:46 AM
Your party consists of melees mostly. If they manage to get to him all at once, he's dead. If not, they're dead.

It's hard to say, since your party's optimization level is all over the place. What's the level split and feat choice of your PCs (Bard/Healer seems atrocious, really)?

With the Redcap's current melee damage, on a crit it can get ugly for the PCs. He's got some serious BFC and initiative that guarantees he acts first. It's a hard encounter for its CR, that's for sure. How it stands in comparison to your table's optimization level we don't know.

Wacky89
2014-06-21, 06:14 AM
ok so. Each player have 2 flaws and traits

The first player playing barb/fighter/ranger is low OP. The best he has is power attack with a 1hander. He has a +1 composite longbow +4 str, so he shoots pretty well.

The second player playing barb/fighter is low-mid OP. He has the mage slayer feat, power attack using a greataxe etc.

the Mystic Ranger/swordsage/wizard is quite optimized, altho he is not the most effective right now. He's TWF daggers adding dex to dmg

The Bard/healer is pretty effective he adds his charisma and his ranks in heal skill to his cure light wounds. Making it heal 1d8+14 or something like that. He also has the dragonfire song which gives the party 2d6 fire dmg to each attack, which the whole party benefits from.

Xerlith
2014-06-21, 07:05 AM
What are their typical tactics in a fight? Do they flank/position themselves in a smart way? Does the Bard or Mystic Ranger cast BFC before engaging?

Why does the Barbarian power attack with a 1hander? :smalleek:

I'd evaluate the BBEG's CR at around 7-8ish, by the way.

Wacky89
2014-06-21, 08:49 AM
I used the normal rules for improving monster:
+1 CR elite stats
+2 CR 4 non-associated class
+1 CR 1 class that exeeds its HD
Standard CR 2 (4HD fey)

total is 6

and yes they always flank