PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [3.5/Pathfinder] Enchantment - does the victem remember?

Sudain
2014-06-20, 02:22 PM
For charm person, the person is aware that they were charmed and who did it. Other spells like like confusion or command, and Geas would be pretty obvious they they were enchanted as well. But suggestion, Dominate(Guessing yes, but is it obvious who dominated them?). What about geas'ing someone who's sleeping?

Considering making an enchanter, but wanting to know if those spells will come back to bite me.

Thanks in advance,

Starmage21
2014-06-20, 03:41 PM
Enchantment would be freaking useless if it were not capable of subtle manipulation.

If the spell doesnt say, then its a GM call. I'd personally view Charm is subtle and unnoticeable without outside help, where Dominate is very overt mind control.

Sudain
2014-06-20, 04:20 PM
Enchantment would be freaking useless if it were not capable of subtle manipulation.

I agree, that's why I am wondering about the backlash of 'after' the spell ends.

As a DM I'd say overt/direct control would be used, then the victim would think 'the voices in my head told me to do it'. If they can associate the voices with a person(geas/obvious dominate) then they may be able to trace it back. If it's subtle like charm or suggestion then they would think it was simply a good idea at the time.

But... that's just my approach. As I want to do this inside a someone else's game that's not really helpful. :)

jedipotter
2014-06-20, 04:39 PM
There are no rules here. So it is the DM's call.

The spells say nothing about forgeting things, so by RAW, a person under an enchantment spell remembers everything. There is no reason they would not.

Though, as an enchanter, you could always alter their memories. Like Modify Memory. Or add back 2E's forget, or other memory spells.

Slipperychicken
2014-06-20, 06:34 PM
Observers can tell with a Sense Motive check.

Sense Motive (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/senseMotive.htm); Sense Enchantment
You can tell that someone’s behavior is being influenced by an enchantment effect (by definition, a mind-affecting effect), even if that person isn’t aware of it. The usual DC is 25, but if the target is dominated (see dominate person), the DC is only 15 because of the limited range of the target’s activities.

And a good Spellcraft (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/spellcraft.htm) can let the target know.

25 + spell level| After rolling a saving throw against a spell targeted on you, determine what that spell was. No action required. No retry.

Additionally, unless the spell in question calls out memory-wiping, it's reasonable to assume that memory-alteration isn't featured. Spells like programmed amnesia and Mindrape, tend to be quite powerful and high-level, so it's unlikely that they would be applied for free on low-level spells. Because of this, the subject of a Dominate Person spell still perceives every moment of the control, his mind helpless in a waking nightmare.

I would also consider it to be a common-sense thing to notice after the spell wears off, much like when one is intoxicated. It might become glaringly obvious after a charm spell wears off that your "new friend" isn't all that he seems, and that your judgement was impaired by drugs or magic. Similarly, a domination effect should be overwhelmingly obvious, since not having control of your body tends to be a pretty big deal.

Arbane
2014-06-20, 08:10 PM
How about Suggestion?