PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A The Devotion Skills

Gretto
2014-06-20, 03:37 PM
No matter how many times I skim through the (blank) Devotion feat set in Complete Champion, I still manage to be a bit confused as to how they work. Some hints seem to point to the idea that they would require you to give up the powers of the original Domain in question. However, unless I have just grossly missed this each time, it never says anything like that.

One particular example: For Knowledge Devotion, you gain permanent access to one Knowledge skill on your list of class skills. However, why would you need that, considering that having access to the Knowledge domain already grants you access to ALL of the Knowledge skills?

Thanks for the help!

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-20, 04:48 PM
You can take them as ordinary feats, or you can get them as bonus feats in exchange for a domain.

jiriku
2014-06-20, 04:55 PM
Review Clerics and Domain Feats, on page 53. This covers how a cleric might, for example, lose the Knowledge domain in order to gain the Knowledge Devotion feat. And of course, a character who is not a cleric at all might choose to take the Knowledge Devotion feat, and he won't necessarily have any levels in a class that grants Knowledge skills as class skills.

nedz
2014-06-20, 04:57 PM
No matter how many times I skim through the (blank) Devotion feat set in Complete Champion, I still manage to be a bit confused as to how they work. Some hints seem to point to the idea that they would require you to give up the powers of the original Domain in question. However, unless I have just grossly missed this each time, it never says anything like that.

One particular example: For Knowledge Devotion, you gain permanent access to one Knowledge skill on your list of class skills. However, why would you need that, considering that having access to the Knowledge domain already grants you access to ALL of the Knowledge skills?

If you have given up the Knowledge domain to acquire the Knowledge Devotion feat for free, then you do not have the skills any more. However if you have bought Knowledge Devotion as a regular feat then you may or may not have all of the knowledge skills.