PDA

View Full Version : Help me make some drugs!

WarKitty
2014-06-20, 04:50 PM
So I want to make some drugs that have various uses in religious rituals. Given that this is D&D, I also want them to be of some actual use. Some that enhance, say, divination power. Some that allow the imbiber to communicate with various spirits, perhaps tribal ancestors.

Here's one example I've been mulling over:
Ashwater:
Crafting this potion successfully a DC 10 craft(alchemy) check. If you have not prepared this potion before, and are not being assisted by someone who has, you must also make a DC 20 knowledge (religion) check. The result is a potent combination of mead, herbs, and ash. Upon imbibing make a DC 15 fort save. If you succeed the drug has no effect. If you fail you are dazed for 10 rounds and must make a DC 10 will save. If you succeed on this save you may contact one ancestor, tribal patron, or other dead figure with whom you are personally affiliated and ask them a single question. You must be able to uniquely identify this spirit. The spirit is free in whether and how it responds and cannot be compelled to answer.

Because of the magics involved in this, contact requires a DC 10 fort save, with failure resulting in being dazed for one round.

Kazudo
2014-06-20, 05:12 PM
Now, you know that BoVD actually HAS some drugs right? Granted, not all of them (read:none) have much in the way of positive side effects, but they're used as spell components in some circumstances.

WarKitty
2014-06-20, 05:20 PM
Now, you know that BoVD actually HAS some drugs right? Granted, not all of them (read:none) have much in the way of positive side effects, but they're used as spell components in some circumstances.

Yeah, despite being called drugs those don't do anything at all of what I want them to do. I want something that acts much more as a magical or alchemical item, that's blended in with religion or ritual magic. Closer to incense of consecration or a focusing candle in effect than the BoVD drugs.

Coidzor
2014-06-20, 07:20 PM
In deserts there sometimes take root a certain kind of magical plant that thrives more off of the ambient magic of the deep deserts than upon anything like water or photosynthesis. Their forms are thorny, bleached, and dry, resembling dusty, dry bones. However, at their heart is a small magical spring which attracts first insects to protect the plant, or at least distract potential predators by eating those offerings than by eating the plant itself. As they age and grow, these springs grow into small oases and attract larger creatures that can aid in the reproduction of the plant by roaming far and surviving the arduous journeys across the sands. As the plants grow, they eventually form a central sanctum around the spring and a hedge-maze-like wall, giving the mature plants to be more commonly known as "Bone Temples."

The waters of the plant have a calming effect on most creatures and cause a will save to harming or eating the plant that mindless creatures such as vermin and low-intelligence magical beasts and creatures of animal intelligence automatically fail. As the plant grows, the waters become more and more potent, especially around the flowers that bloom at the very heart of the oasis, the nectar they produce is a powerful hallucinogenic for humanoids and produces a slavish devotion to the plant in creatures of animal intelligence or lower, which is helpful to the plant as after a certain size the plant is no longer to sustain itself solely upon ambient magic and instead subsists upon blood from the creatures drawn to it by its waters and enthralled by its nectar.

Harvesting the nectar of the plant's flowers is a fairly hazardous task between the blood-drinking nodules, dominated animals, vermin, and magical beasts; and the small tribes of humanoids that can form around them out of lost travels driven to drinking the waters out of desperation. The trade is quite lucrative for those who have mastered it, and many religious organizations and thieves guilds have connections with the harvesters of the desert's bloody rose.

The fruit, flowers, nectar, and water of the plant may be processed into a variety of substances ranging from injury poisons that cause a Confusion-like effect to drugs that allow the imbiber to see into the ethereal plane with the purity directly correlating to the amount of background hallucinatory and illusion effects. Long term use of substances derived from the fruit and seeds of the plant have resulted in hybridization and vampirific blood cults reveling in the illusory visions and euphoria gained from ingesting the blood of the cult-leader/bone-temple-hybrid and from giving their blood in turn.

The Bone Temple's Sting poison causes Confusion for 1d4 rounds as the primary effect, though creatures immune to mind-affecting effects or illusions are both immune, the secondary effect is that the creature is nauseated for 1 minute. DC 20 to craft, DC 20 fortitude save, costs let's say 100 gp per dose.

The Eye of the Desert Rose drug causes the imbiber to make a DC 18 Fort save or be nauseated with horror for 30 minutes as they are overloaded with a combination of visions, hallucinations, and illusion effects, regardless of whether they succeed or fail they are surrounded by various illusory lights and ghostly sounds which are visible and audible to those around them. If they succeed on their fortitude save they are now able to see onto the Ethereal Plane instead of the Material Plane(or they see the Material Plane if they happen to be on the Ethereal or Shadow, the drug has no benefit outside of those three planes) for 30 minutes. Additionally, if they spend 15 minutes in the proper rituals, prayers, and other tasks they gain the ability to use Augury at-will(The DM secretly rolls 3d4+5 for the caster level of the drug to determine the accuracy of a particular dose or batch of doses) until the end of the 30 minutes of the drug's primary effect. The drug costs 1000 gp on the open market.

Feel free to alter as necessary, as the effects and costs are a total asspull on my part.

WarKitty
2014-06-21, 03:28 PM
Nice idea - I like the augury effect. I think I'm looking to use drugs alongside a sort of ritual magic system. So drugs are a way to have wider access to certain magical effects, though most of them have enough side effects that they don't see much in combat use.

Another one I had thought of:
Hellroot
These brightly colored roots contain a powerful mind-altering drug. Upon chewing a piece of this root, the user becomes enraged as a barbarian. However he must make a DC 10 will save; upon failure he becomes confused and attacks the nearest creature to him. Possession of the rage class feature reduces this DC by 2 per level in a rage-granting class. A single dose of this root 30gp. Properly preparing requires a DC 15 craft (alchemy) or knowledge (nature) check. If the check fails by 5 or less, the root functions but is rendered poisonous, requiring a DC 15 fortitude save dealing 1d4 dex damage on failure.