PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Maxing my Knights full potential

ReD_Exorcist
2014-06-20, 08:19 PM
I am playing a knight right now from the Players Handbook II
I was wondering how I can make the most use of my Knight, Right now I am playing as a Tank Controller for the party, We have a Ranger with a Hippogriff, a Bard and a barbarian. Here are my stats for my Knight

LVL: 5 Knight HP: 73 AC: 24 Str: 14 Dex: 12 Con: 18 Int: 10 Wis: 10 Cha: 14 Race: Dragonborn
Feats: Pious Soul and Stand Still and Power attack
My main weapon is a flail MW and a chained spiked MW, When using my flail I use my tower shield. When using my chained spike I strap on my buckler.
Armor is Full plate MW with a locked gauntlet.

I am planning to prestige into a Hellreaver, I don't know if its the best idea so I wanted advice in how to max my Knights potential? Any advice well be helpful, if you have any other questions about my Knight don't hesitate to ask.

Xerlith
2014-06-21, 04:32 AM
I'm going to begin with the standard suggestion you take a look at the Crusader class.

With that out of the way, well.
A pretty standard standstill build has Combat Reflexes, Stand Still and Improved Trip feats. Your Dex is a bit low for effectively using Combat Reflexes though.
Pious Templar nets you some spellcasting if you want it for some reason. Paladin accelerated progression.
The Hellreaver class is a fine one, but you get the most bang for your buck while dealing mostly with evil outsiders. Check with your DM if that's the case.

You could dip Dragonfire Adept and take Entangling Exhalation as your 6th level feat for some status debuffing. It's a bit too late for it to really shine though.

Gwendol
2014-06-21, 05:22 AM
You need combat reflexes and a DEX of 14, which you can get from an item. That way you can afford lighter armor while still maintaining you AC.

ReD_Exorcist
2014-06-23, 12:13 AM
I'm going to begin with the standard suggestion you take a look at the Crusader class.

With that out of the way, well.
A pretty standard standstill build has Combat Reflexes, Stand Still and Improved Trip feats. Your Dex is a bit low for effectively using Combat Reflexes though.
Pious Templar nets you some spellcasting if you want it for some reason. Paladin accelerated progression.
The Hellreaver class is a fine one, but you get the most bang for your buck while dealing mostly with evil outsiders. Check with your DM if that's the case.

You could dip Dragonfire Adept and take Entangling Exhalation as your 6th level feat for some status debuffing. It's a bit too late for it to really shine though.

Sorry shouldve mentioned that my DM isnt allowing any classes or feats from the BoNS, Pious Templar seemed intriguing the problem is that I would have to take two feats for it which means I couldn't play it until 9th level, Dragonfire Adept didn't seem that appealing since I would incure spell failure chanes with armor.

ReD_Exorcist
2014-06-23, 12:16 AM
You need combat reflexes and a DEX of 14, which you can get from an item. That way you can afford lighter armor while still maintaining you AC.

So here is what I am thinking of now since you mentioned a need of higher DEX. I should get mithral full plate armor and a ring of cats grace. That way my max DEX on my armor is +3 and with the ring I would get a DEX mod of +3.

Azraile
2014-06-23, 12:17 AM
I would sugest dipping into cleric or pally then taking a prestige class that gives you affective levels or spell levels in those classes

Andion Isurand
2014-06-23, 04:15 AM
Unfortunately, Improved Trip requires a 13 Intelligence.

prufock
2014-06-23, 06:48 AM
Unfortunately, Improved Trip requires a 13 Intelligence.

While it's nice (free attacks are always good), it's not necessary. The spiked chain has a 10' reach, so AOOs aren't an issue against anything your size or smaller. You're still able to lock down enemies, just not quite as good at keeping them down. A sweeping (MIC) living chain (Miniatures Handbook I think?) gives you some nice bonuses, as does a way to get large.