PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Alternatives to Power Attack

FabulousFizban
2014-06-20, 08:39 PM
I have questions about a specific build, but I am also interested in comments about alternatives to PA generally.

So I had played a melee Archaeologist in a 25 pt game and really liked it, so I wanted to build a more standard 20 pt version of the character, but am having trouble with my stat/feat arrangement.

The feats I used originally were

1st: Weapon Finesse
3rd: Dervish Dance
4th: Power Attack (combat trick rogue talent)
5th: Lingering Performance

The character is a half-elf
traits: Fate's Favored, Vagabond Child

My stats for the 20pt buy are

but the 10 strength means I can't take power attack, so what should I do to scale my dmg output? Arcane Strike seems like the obvious choice, but I have to reactivate my Arch luck every 3rd round and AS would mean I can't use Gallant Inspiration on the other 2. Should I use AS anyway?

I'm willing to change my stats, but not sure if/how I should.

Help me Giant-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

Damian1335
2014-06-20, 08:46 PM
Edit: Right I misread something, and forgot some rulings ignore this.

grarrrg
2014-06-20, 10:09 PM
Here are some options, most optimal/easy choices listed first.

Option 1: Rearrange your stats. Dropping your starting DEX from 16-base to 15-base will free up 3 points, bumping STR from 10 to 13 costs 3 points.

Option 2: Abandon Scimitar, drop Dervish Dance feat and get a _Light_ Agile (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/agile) Weapon. Take Piranha Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/piranha-strike-combat) feat.

Option 3: Dip Ranger for 2 levels, take the 'Two Handed' Combat Style and select Power Attack as your 'no-req' bonus feat.

Option 4: As a Half-Elf you count as Human and can take the Racial Heritage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/racial-heritage) feat. Choose 'Halfling' for your race. Take the Risky Striker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/risky-striker-combat-halfling) feat. Only fight things that are Huge (and/or always cast Reduce Person on yourself).

DarkSonic1337
2014-06-20, 11:52 PM
Option 5. Grab a +4 strength item (or +2 and use 1 of your level up ability bonuses on str) and grab power attack anyway.

FabulousFizban
2014-06-21, 04:00 AM
Dammit Grarrrg, you're right. Dropping dex to 17 is the answer... ****. I don't want to do that, but it does offer the best option for scaling. It seems like the best option.

I'm still interested in a discussion of power attack and it's functions and alternatives in general.

As always, playgrounders: I thank you. You are amazing.

Kurald Galain
2014-06-21, 06:05 AM
but the 10 strength means I can't take power attack, so what should I do to scale my dmg output? Arcane Strike seems like the obvious choice, but I have to reactivate my Arch luck every 3rd round and AS would mean I can't use Gallant Inspiration on the other 2. Should I use AS anyway?

I'm curious how you're doing that with Archaeologist's Luck? As far as I can tell, it lasts for up to six rounds per day, I don't see anything about having to reactivate it.

grarrrg
2014-06-21, 09:19 AM
I'm curious how you're doing that with Archaeologist's Luck? As far as I can tell, it lasts for up to six rounds per day, I don't see anything about having to reactivate it.

Lingering Performance (ab)use.
Trying to stretch those 6 rounds out into 18 rounds.

Eldaran
2014-06-21, 01:07 PM
Dammit Grarrrg, you're right. Dropping dex to 17 is the answer... ****. I don't want to do that, but it does offer the best option for scaling. It seems like the best option.

I'm still interested in a discussion of power attack and it's functions and alternatives in general.

As always, playgrounders: I thank you. You are amazing.

What's the point of taking Power Attack with Dervish Dance when Piranha Strike is equal in every way (since you have the prereq) but doesn't have a strength requirement. Oh dear, I just noticed Piranha Strike is light weapon only, I thought it was any finesseable weapon. I guess you could ask your DM.

FabulousFizban
2014-06-21, 01:58 PM
What's the point of taking Power Attack with Dervish Dance when Piranha Strike is equal in every way (since you have the prereq) but doesn't have a strength requirement. Oh dear, I just noticed Piranha Strike is light weapon only, I thought it was any finesseable weapon. I guess you could ask your DM.

you know, thinking about it, I could absolutely use a short sword instead of a scimitar, they both do 1d6, (I'm using ancestral arms to gain proficiency anyway) and just use piranha strike. The thing is, 1) scimitar has a crit range of 18-20, and more importantly, dervish dance gives me dex to damage. If I abandon dervish dance, i'm abandoning 4 damage per attack.

grarrrg
2014-06-21, 03:10 PM
The thing is, 1) scimitar has a crit range of 18-20, and more importantly, dervish dance gives me dex to damage. If I abandon dervish dance, i'm abandoning 4 damage per attack.

That's why option number two was "get a _Light_ Agile (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/agile) weapon".
Agile gives you DEX to damage on any Finessable weapon. And it's only a +1 equivalent, cheap!

As for the Crit Range, can't help you much their. You either use a Kukri and go down a die size (-1 damage avg), or you keep the base damage and drop to 19-20 range (various options)

Hmmmm...OOOH! Are you a Kobold? Can you grow a tail? The Razored Kobold Tail Attachment (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/kobold-tail-attachments) is 1d8 with 19-20! :smallbiggrin:

NightbringerGGZ
2014-06-21, 06:09 PM
Lingering Performance (ab)use.
Trying to stretch those 6 rounds out into 18 rounds.

I think one of the designers mentioned that Archeologists not getting extra rounds/day was an oversight. It hasn't been added to an eratta, but I believe they were supposed to get an extra round per level.

FabulousFizban
2014-06-21, 06:22 PM
I think one of the designers mentioned that Archeologists not getting extra rounds/day was an oversight. It hasn't been added to an eratta, but I believe they were supposed to get an extra round per level.

That was stated by the developer, and any DM would probably allow it in a home game, but I was hoping to make this a society character. So without an official errata, I have to find alternatives like the half-elf favored class bonus and lingering performance.

Also, Grarrrg, the agile/piranha strike angle is a great option. All your suggestions were very helpful. I think I'd get an agile AoMF so I only have to spend 4000gp instead of 8000 for a +2 weapon. That option pushes back my damage output until I can afford the AoMF, but it also frees up a feat since I don't have to take Dervish Dance. I will have to think on this.