PDA

View Full Version : Module Style Guidelines

Knaight
2014-06-20, 11:01 PM
To put things briefly - there's a pseudo-module that I've had for a while, used to introduce people to various systems. I thought I'd actually get around to typing this thing out and having some sort of notes involved, then decided to make an actual module out of it.

Which brings me to this - is there some sort of style guideline for these? How are they usually organized, formatted, etc.?

Roland St. Jude
2014-06-21, 01:51 PM
All the style guidelines for modules that I'm aware of are system and publisher specific. I'm not sure what to suggest for your circumstance.

Knaight
2014-06-21, 04:38 PM
All the style guidelines for modules that I'm aware of are system and publisher specific. I'm not sure what to suggest for your circumstance.

Even those would be pretty helpful - I wasn't actually aware of these existing.

LibraryOgre
2014-06-24, 11:03 AM
Start going to publisher websites. A lot will have their style guide, and how their preferred method of scouting freelancers.

For example, I've done work for Palladium; several Rifter articles, had a short story solicited (then lost), and written a book. I got started through their preferred method, which is Rifter articles. A few pages long, usually detailing one part of the world; I've done classes, variants on existing material, an article on slavery, and a couple expansions on various races. Doing those well and consistently got me in a position where I could pitch a book idea I had. They knew my name and my work (and my name partially from other ways I engaged with the company; mailing lists and message boards), and so were open to the book idea. (Note: For other reasons, I don't suggest looking at Palladium as a place to start).

Getting known through Palladium has put me with another publisher, 3rd Eye Games. Had a short story solicited and published through them, and was invited to work on a book that, unfortunately, fell through due to others (which annoys me, because my stuff was kinda awesome).

If I had more time? I'd be submitting things to Hackjournal and Knights of the Dinner Table to get an entry with Kenzerco.

Basically? Get to know the publishers you want to work with. Find out how they want stuff presented. This (http://www.rpg.net/columns/list-column.phtml?colname=free) is a very old (in Internet terms) column on rpg.net with some useful advice, though keep in mind the age.