PDA

View Full Version : Making Magical Items detect as non-magical

Yogibear41
2014-06-20, 11:18 PM
Is there anyway to make magical items be undetectable by detect magic, arcane sight, and other similar spells?

Jeraa
2014-06-20, 11:20 PM
Is there anyway to make magical items be undetectable by detect magic, arcane sight, and other similar spells?

Nystuls Magic Aura spell, in the Players Handbook.

Yogibear41
2014-06-21, 12:09 AM
Wow, I though that spell could only make it appear to be of a different school, not completely un-magical doh.

pothocboots
2014-06-21, 10:53 AM
You alter an item’s aura so that it registers to detect spells (and spells with similar capabilities) as though it were nonmagical, or a magic item of a kind you specify, or the subject of a spell you specify.

Bolded for your convenience. Cheers.

FidgetySquirrel
2014-06-21, 11:25 AM
Is there anyway to make magical items be undetectable by detect magic, arcane sight, and other similar spells?You wouldn't be thinking of SoHing a helm of opposite alignment onto an evil king or something, would you?

NMA aside, you could cast anti-magic field on yourself. The item will actually be non-magical, of course, but it's a fun way to combine explosive runes with a bunch of pamphlets. You can convince people that they're totally safe, get 10 feet away before they read it, then watch the fireworks!:smallcool:

ryu
2014-06-21, 11:30 AM

Also you could use Ravenloft rules to craft devices. They're non-magical things that can replicate spell effects. How does that work? I dunno.

Yogibear41
2014-06-22, 01:57 AM
You wouldn't be thinking of SoHing a helm of opposite alignment onto an evil king or something, would you?

NMA aside, you could cast anti-magic field on yourself. The item will actually be non-magical, of course, but it's a fun way to combine explosive runes with a bunch of pamphlets. You can convince people that they're totally safe, get 10 feet away before they read it, then watch the fireworks!:smallcool:

More along the lines of my shapechaging character looks different than that guy who was in here last week, but funny he had the same looking magical items as you do... curious...

As well as to prevent thieves who happen to know detect magic from making me have a bad time.