PDA

View Full Version : Haute Cuisine for Players (AKA: cooking a dragon)

janusmaxwell
2014-06-20, 11:46 PM
We're playing Red Hand of Doom campaign, and killed a Juvenile Green Dragon.

Discussion of the usual skinning of the corpse for dragon-hide armor, discussion came about for eating dragons...it MUST be a thing but I have no idea where to start with all the details.

Closest I found was on DNDwiki for Dragon Steaks which was just stupid as hell. DC:25 Cook check and success means you gain 10 hitpoints, immunity to whatever dragon 'provided' the steaks and immunity to fear for 10 minutes...

Obviously that's not what I'm looking for, but just a general outline brainstorming session for whoever wants to throw in 2 cents.

One thing that DID come up was if Green Dragons are immune to acid, if it means that you actually can't digest their meat...or other such nasty effects. We need to have a future reference for this people!

Gemini476
2014-06-21, 12:01 AM
There aren't really that many rules for food in general, to be honest. the Arms and Equipment Guide has a few, but I don't think it has anything for eating dragons. Making the food would probably be a craft(cooking) check or something, following the rules in the PHB for crafting non-magical items, although the time it takes to cook it (and the DC, perhaps) would depend upon the price of the meal in general.

Also, dragons are sapient. Consider that for a moment.

RedMage125
2014-06-21, 12:01 AM
If it's just as food, I don't know why you need mechanics for it. Do you want to make a skill check for Profession (chef)?

Also, immunity, as I understand it, stop at the skin (or scales). Otherwise you would also not be able to cook Red dragon meat.

Plenty of fantasy stories have "dragon steaks" as some kind of delicacy. I think it's fair to just say you can cook it and eat it like any other dead animal. Now, for a dragon that's poisonous like a Mercury Dragon, I'd advise against eating it.

But as far as rules, I would say the removal of edible meat from a corpse would be a Survival check.

As a Houserule, I also usually do Survival checks to skin animals, if the players are so inclined.

TLibben
2014-06-21, 12:24 AM
This is the kind of thing I love as a GM.

My initial thought goes to eating the heart raw and getting some kind of bonus. Saves or an elemental resistance, both determined by the size and age category of the dragon slain.

Throw in the possibility of characters being squemish based on cultural background and how they have roleplayed the character thus far. The tough and primitive barbarian munches happily away while the aristocratic swashbuckler fails a fortitude save and projectile vomits all over a comrade in arms or two.

The rest of the meat is meat. Dragon jerky as a supplement to those dull and dreary trail rations.

Go to town and have a little fun with it.

Jallis370
2014-06-21, 02:19 AM
As as DM I usually just wing with the players, making up the rules as they go along trying out stuff. They can skin a dragon (survival or craft), carve meat from her (survival or profession), look for reagents (profession or craft) to make acid flasks or alchemists fire. Generally the players get to argue for their skill and how they want to use it and they get a chance to make a roll, possibly with some penalties. Anything will be possible, but the DC reflects how exotic the task is. Carving dragon-meat might not be too hard (DC 24) but cooking it would take some skill (DC 30) and need some exotic tools to not get penalties. Prepared players get rewarded. Dumb players who wants to eat a Mercury Dragon, and don't try to make a knowledge check on edibleness, would only get the warning when they have to roll a save vs death :P

Eating a heart raw? Go on, make a fortitude save to not gag. The hardier the character, the easier it would be, naturally. I would probably let them have a morale bonus of some sort, based on what they believe they would get from the type of dragon.