PDA

View Full Version : Non PBP Online Play

SmileyX
2007-02-24, 02:22 AM
Lately it has become even more difficult than normal for my playing group to get together to play D&D. So my idea is that we could play over the computer, i've come up with a few ideas. The first one is that we use a combination of Ventrillo, MSN, a home-made diceroller, and online charector profilers, but the primary problem here is mapping. My first thought is to use a webcam, but i don't think thats ideal, considering most webcams suck, i see this as my last resort. My second idea was to get my friend to design a mega online D&D playing program, but considerign hes lazy and would have dificulties with the mapping and online connection that idea was scrapped. So now im wondering, are there any mapping programs that would work for what i need? Essentially a program that allows for atleast simple mapping of a pretty nice sized area, with a few different colors, and can easily be shared/saved? Or well anythign that would help would be cool. Any help with this problem would be appreciated, thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Abardam
2007-02-24, 02:30 AM
MapTool from RPTools.net?

tarbrush
2007-02-24, 04:42 AM
http://www.thetangledweb.net/home/

Open RPG is supposed to be pretty good.

kamikasei
2007-02-24, 09:14 AM
This (http://gametable.galactanet.com/) might be worth a look.

Zherog
2007-02-24, 10:33 AM
My group plays over AIM. Its chat rooms have a built in dice-roller.

OpenRPG isn't bad; my group couldn't use it because one of my players couldn't install it. I don't recall all the details, but OpenRPG uses another piece of software that required a certain version. My player had software that he used for work that required a lower version of that software to be on his PC. It wasn't Java, but I forget what it was.

LoopyZebra
2007-02-24, 10:37 AM
OpenRPG requires Python. It looked like it would be good, but the one time I used it, neither I nor the players were very good with the controls, so make sure you know how to use the program. (I suppose that applies to anything, but OpenRPG is deceptively hard to use.)

SmileyX
2007-02-24, 06:54 PM
wow thanks for the quick reply guys, im going to have ask my friends what program they want to use, but a first glance they all look great. Thank you again :smallbiggrin: .