PDA

View Full Version : Evil "paladin"

Spacehamster
2014-06-21, 09:14 AM
Been thinking about running an evil campaign after we are done with our current one. So I have been looking around for interesting classes. What I wanted to play is like a dark knight/paladin class, know about blackguard but that prc is not very good, anyone got any good ideas for classes for this? Also is there no base class that is like an evil knight? :)

Spacehamster over and out

Forrestfire
2014-06-21, 09:18 AM
Cleric and Crusader both fit the bill, depending on if you want to be more self-buffing and casty or more fighty.

Spacehamster
2014-06-21, 09:46 AM
Cleric and Crusader both fit the bill, depending on if you want to be more self-buffing and casty or more fighty.

Death and war/destruction domain cleric and level up to getting righteous might as cleric, then go crusader or some other full BAB class for more fightyness could be fun. :)

Sception
2014-06-21, 09:55 AM
A martially inclined divine metamagic persist evil or neutral cleric of an evil or neutral deity would probably be the most powerful options.

An evil or neutral crusader following an evil or neutral deity might be the simplest and most fun.

If wee jas is is evil enough for you, you could combine both of the above via the ruby knight vindicator class.

My personal preference, however would be a cleric/fighter (or cleric/warblade or cleric/crusader), going into the Bone Knight PrC from the Eberron book "Five Nations". It's a decent divine caster / warrior prc (and can even work reasonably well with paladins, though the casting is much stronger if you enter via cleric), with a nice undead focus (armor/weapons made from the enchanted bones of your enemies, undead steed, small bonus undead control pool). Not as strong as pure cleric or RKV builds, and not quite as coherent or easy to play as a straight crusader, but still a fun option, especially if you have a thing for necromancy like I do.

Anlashok
2014-06-21, 09:56 AM
Oddly enough this is also true if you wanted to play a good paladin as well.

Death and war/destruction domain cleric and level up to getting righteous might as cleric, then go crusader or some other full BAB class for more fightyness could be fun. :)

Cleric+Crusader+RKV with the wee jas fluff stripped out seems perfect here.

Sception
2014-06-21, 09:58 AM
Or with the wee jas fluff left in. She's not exactly the most friendly and chipper of deities, and certainly seems more of the 'blackguard' type than the 'paladin' type of patron.

toapat
2014-06-21, 09:58 AM
Been thinking about running an evil campaign after we are done with our current one. So I have been looking around for interesting classes. What I wanted to play is like a dark knight/paladin class, know about blackguard but that prc is not very good, anyone got any good ideas for classes for this? Also is there no base class that is like an evil knight? :)

Blackguard is actually very good, because technically it counts all of the Paladin Variants as legal parasite targets. Also the blackguard spell list gets the same deal with good buffs as paladin. It loses Glory of the Martyr but i think most everything else is there. you just need battle blessing to fix the casting

Spacehamster
2014-06-21, 10:12 AM
What do you guys think about the vengence knight PrC? :)

toapat
2014-06-21, 10:19 AM
What do you guys think about the vengence knight PrC? :)

arcane backlash is useful but the rest of the PrC is bad

Pluto!
2014-06-21, 10:20 AM
Like a Fighter, but worse.

Tanngrisnir
2014-06-21, 10:20 AM
Unearthed Arcana has the Paladin of Slaughter and the Paladin of Tyranny variant classes, which are evil variations on the base Paladin class. I'm not a fan of them myself but you may want to check them out.

Spacehamster
2014-06-21, 10:50 AM
Unearthed Arcana has the Paladin of Slaughter and the Paladin of Tyranny variant classes, which are evil variations on the base Paladin class. I'm not a fan of them myself but you may want to check them out.

Had a look at them and yeah they feel a bit meh, kinda lazily made just copy paladin switch out some good abilities to make them do evil thing instead. And also that they loose powers if they do good is silly. If you do a good deed for a reward of let's say gold, you can use said gold to further your own selfish evil goals.

Dunsparce
2014-06-21, 11:16 AM
Dragon Magazine #312 have evil Paladin variants for the three evil alignments that are different from the Paladins of Tyranny and Slaughter(Issue 310 made ones for the other non LG alignments)

Tanngrisnir
2014-06-21, 11:17 AM
Had a look at them and yeah they feel a bit meh, kinda lazily made just copy paladin switch out some good abilities to make them do evil thing instead. And also that they loose powers if they do good is silly. If you do a good deed for a reward of let's say gold, you can use said gold to further your own selfish evil goals.

My thoughts exactly.

sideswipe
2014-06-21, 02:01 PM
btw honestly are you spacehamster from youtube? if so great content. i'm a subscriber.

secondly if you are more interested of playing an evil paladin and not the most powerful equivalent then the book unearthed arcana has rules for a paladin of slaughter (chaotic evil) which is exactly an evil paladin for an evil god.

paladin of tyranny (lawful evil) is slightly less "kill everything in sight" and might suit what you want better. it is also in unearthed arcana.

Spacehamster
2014-06-21, 02:29 PM
Dragon Magazine #312 have evil Paladin variants for the three evil alignments that are different from the Paladins of Tyranny and Slaughter(Issue 310 made ones for the other non LG alignments)

Do you happen to have a link to the despot class from that dragon magazine, found the other two while googling but got nothing when googling "despot d&d 3.5". :(

Spacehamster
2014-06-21, 02:31 PM
btw honestly are you spacehamster from youtube? if so great content. i'm a subscriber.

secondly if you are more interested of playing an evil paladin and not the most powerful equivalent then the book unearthed arcana has rules for a paladin of slaughter (chaotic evil) which is exactly an evil paladin for an evil god.

paladin of tyranny (lawful evil) is slightly less "kill everything in sight" and might suit what you want better. it is also in unearthed arcana.

Nope I don't have a channel just a fan of minscs space hamster Boo. :p and yeah those two classes were already tipped about but they feel a bit lazy, like copy paste paladin and switch good abilities to evil ones. :) but thanks anyways. :3

FabulousFizban
2014-06-21, 03:00 PM
you could just lift the anti-paladin class from pathfinder

Telonius
2014-06-21, 07:53 PM

Maybe a little obvious, but the Knight class from PHB2 is open to any Lawful character, meaning Lawful Evil Knights are allowed.

What part of being a "dark knight" is most important to you? What is it you want him to be able to do? Mounted combat, bonuses from being evil/doing evil things, bonded follower of an evil cause/deity, wearing armor that's either fashionably black or made from the bones of your fallen enemies?

Spacehamster
2014-06-22, 02:52 AM
Maybe a little obvious, but the Knight class from PHB2 is open to any Lawful character, meaning Lawful Evil Knights are allowed.

What part of being a "dark knight" is most important to you? What is it you want him to be able to do? Mounted combat, bonuses from being evil/doing evil things, bonded follower of an evil cause/deity, wearing armor that's either fashionably black or made from the bones of your fallen enemies?

Mostly class that gets nasty evil abilities when leveling up and has at least medium or max BAB. :) and heavy armor since that's kinda dark knightly ofc. ^^ does not have to be the best class ever.