PDA

View Full Version : Dance in the Playground

Eldariel
2014-06-21, 10:08 AM
So, I've begun taking courses on partner dancing about half a year ago. Dancing is quite the important part of my life nowadays, but it occurs to me that I only really know of the Finnish dancing tradition. See, in Finland we have these things called "lava" (would roughly be translated as "stage" or perhaps "platform") with their own rich history and culture, but I know little of what kind of culture for partner dancing specifically exists anywhere else in the world; I'm not as interested in performance dancing, though ironically I find I know more of it than partner dancing on the international level.

My interest prompted me to create this thread: What kind of dance cultures particularly for partner dancing exist around the world? I know a bit of ballroom dancing after a chat with a partner, who lived in the UK for a couple of years, but even there little more account wouldn't hurt. And I know next to nothing about anything beyond the Finnish and the British tradition.

I suppose it's also a relevant and interesting question, if there are any other dancers around here. So, anyone else into dancing of any kind? How long have you been at it? When did you start? What does it mean to you?

A few words on the Finnish "lavatanssi" ("stagedance") tradition to start things off: These places tend to have live music and there's a huge number around the country. Dances start in the evening and usually last way into the night. Summer is more of the dancing season. Songs always come in pairs; two consecutive songs are of the same type. When you agree to dance with a partner, you always dance at least these two songs. In stages, you don't go dance just with your own partner, but before every two songs the dancers willing to participate in that round form two lines, and people from one line go pick the partner they'd want to dance with from the other line; refusal is rare and considered rude without a good reason.

In the older days, men were always the ones who would do the asking of the partner, but nowadays the leaders and the followers usually take turns; generally leaders start and in about one hour, it's the followers' turn. In the end of the session, the last hour or the last half an hour is usually mixed, where both sides are allowed to do the asking.

Traditionally the dances we dance are mostly old Finnish (jenkka, humppa, sottiisi, masurkka, polkka), traditional (ballroom waltz, fast waltz, fox), tango (while an import, it's almost considered a Finnish dance nowadays and it's hugely popular), and more recently swing dances (the Finnish "fusku" alongside bugg, lindy, BW, jive, etc.) & Latino dances (cha-cha, samba, salsa, rumba/bolero, etc.). Much depends on the band of course.

Age demographic also depends on the band but it seems like the population on the stages is mostly 30+, aside from the occasional band more popular with the younger audience. As a consequence I mostly go with our dance club, to guarantee there are some dance partners about my age present.

Cyrion
2014-06-23, 10:39 PM
I've been a ballroom dancer for about twenty years now, and that's been tremendously important to me. It's developed a lot of very fine muscle control, balance and coordination. It's also been socially great- multiple girlfriends and (now an ex-) wife and a lot of good friends.

Much like you mentioned, at most social dances the leaders are the most frequent askers, but it's not uncommon to have the followers ask as well. It's generally frowned upon to turn down a request unless you're going to sit the whole song out.

Eldariel
2014-06-24, 04:53 AM
Oh, interesting to hear! What kind of a pool of dance music do you have over there? I've understood there's a lot of the traditionals, and then some swing/rock-styles. Do you dance latino dances too? Anything in particular stands out as especially frequent or important? What's your own favorite?

FinnLassie
2014-06-24, 07:36 AM
I'd call the Finnish "lava" dancing halls. I mean, lava basically just means floor of a barn or similar, so, yeah.

To be honest I'm really tempted to go for lava-dances (... this is going to sound hilarious to all the others around here, since you're probably thinking about FIERY HOT LAVA AAAAAAA :smalltongue:) this summer when I get to Finland, but none of my friends have enough sense of humour to do so. :smallannoyed:

My dancing history is this: Finnish folk dances and ceilidh dances. I love both and they have some similarities, but I always felt like Finnish folk dancing is really regimental and a no nonsense thing. More like a hobby than an activity... It isn't popular amongst people my age, and kind of a dying art. Very little men seem to do it, and men have some of the most awesome parts in the dances.

Ceilidhs are such a fun and social thing, and I love that about them. It's considered extremely rude to refuse a dance if someone asks, and I've had my fair share of handsome young lads twirling me around the dancefloor in their kilts. :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: And bruises, of course. It's not a good ceilidh if you come back without a single bruise.

Cyrion
2014-06-24, 07:37 PM
Ballroom/Latin dance in the US draws from just about every type of music. A lot of classic big band music as well as neo-swing like Big Bad Voodoo Daddies is still popular for east east and Lindy styles of swing and foxtrot. The west coast style of swing draws a lot from blues and from popular R&B. A lot of popular music also makes good waltzes, cha chas, salsas, rumbas, and nightclub two-steps.

What is particularly important depends a lot on where you're dancing. Here in the Midwest, a lot of the dance crowds are older, and so music more in the big band style and classic ballroom music is prevalent. Where I was in California, our studios mere mostly college students and younger adults. We danced to a lot of popular music.

Personal favorites of mine are the cha cha, rumba and the quickstep. When I lived out in California, I used to be good enough to be on a competitive/performance team, and I flirted with going pro for a while. Then I moved to the Midwest and ended up in a vacuum for good ballroom and Latin, though my west coast swing did get a lot better.