PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Paladin Mount question

BlueBiscuit
2014-06-21, 10:10 AM
So I'm looking at the rules for the Paladin Mount, and I'm confused about how they progress.
I get that the extra HD give the mount access to feats, but I don't really understand how the other progressions tied to HD work.

For example, I'm looking at giving my level 12 Paladin a Griffon as a mount. According to the extra rules given in the DMG, that means that my Griffon gets +4 HD, + 6 to natural AC and +2 to Strenght, as well as a better Int score.

How do the stats of my griffon change respect to the one in the MM1? And in particular, do the extra HD mean that my mount is now Huge instead of Large?

cobaltstarfire
2014-06-21, 10:31 AM
I don't know much, but I do know that the extra hit die shouldn't make mounts/companions larger.

Coidzor
2014-06-21, 06:46 PM
So I'm looking at the rules for the Paladin Mount, and I'm confused about how they progress.
I get that the extra HD give the mount access to feats, but I don't really understand how the other progressions tied to HD work.

For example, I'm looking at giving my level 12 Paladin a Griffon as a mount. According to the extra rules given in the DMG, that means that my Griffon gets +4 HD, + 6 to natural AC and +2 to Strenght, as well as a better Int score.

How do the stats of my griffon change respect to the one in the MM1? And in particular, do the extra HD mean that my mount is now Huge instead of Large?

You get feats every 3 HD and an ability score increase every 4. The bonus to natural armor and the bonus to strength are unique features of the mount progression rather than a product of the HD.

So with +4 HD the Griffon should gain a feat and the ability to increase any ability score by 1 in addition to the +2 to its Strength score. Its base attack bonus will increase due to the 4 HD it has gained. Its base saves will increase due to the 4 HD it has gained.

They don't increase size because it's not the same as advancing monsters via RHD as a DM.

This handbook on monsters (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?207928-Urpriest-s-Monstrous-Monster-Handbook) and racial hit dice may help clear up some of the specifics.

Since it is a magical beast instead of an animal as the base, you'll need to check with the DM that the bonus HD are Magical Beast HD rather than Animal HD. I tend to hold with those who go with Magical Beast HD. So those 4 HD it gains will increase its BAB by 4 and its base saves should be +7 Fort, +7 Reflex, +3 Will before factoring in ability score bonuses and other factors. And it'll have 4 more d10 hit dice to roll for HP.

zingbobco000
2014-06-21, 07:13 PM

No, they do not, the chapter for that is advancing monsters, you aren't advancing it (changing it's size) you are merely adding HD. HD and size don't normally go hand in hand. Does my fighter become colossal for having 20 HD? No, of course not. As for your other questions, I'd agree with
Coidzor on those.

BlueBiscuit
2014-06-23, 06:51 AM
Thank you all, you've helped me a ton. I'll ask my GM about the type of HD.

Wacky89
2014-06-23, 07:48 AM
btw a really cool feat for mounted paladin is strength of the charger from oriental adventures. gives you the mounts con mod to your hp and fort saves while mounted

Angelalex242
2014-06-23, 08:06 AM
The problem with mounts has always been, "If you specialize in using it, what good are you when you're in confined quarters?"

I've always thought Paladins should get the entire Mounted Combat tree free when they're on their mount. Maybe even with with the weapon focus/spec/greater focus/greater spec/improved critical on the lance (and only the lance) attached too.

Now he's death on 4 hooves on those relatively rare occasions he DOES get to use his mount. And even most fighters don't want to joust with the guy.

I also like houseruling in that at level 16, your mount switches to a metallic dragon. Horses are Completely useless at high levels. The metallic dragon can at least hold its own in a world of 8th and 9th level spells, assuming it understands the first rule of draconic combat:Thy claws shall never touch the ground, ever. Kiting from above may take a while, but it's worth it.