PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Need help with Paladin Prestige

solkyoshiro
2014-06-21, 12:47 PM
So I'm fairly new to playing D&D 3.5 and I decided to choose Paladin as my first (not the best idea in hindsight, but I wanted something different, and I never choose the straight laced guy).

I've had a lot of issues with my Paladin, so much so that I really wanted to roll a new character. But long story short, my Pally just got killed in the last encounter. Our GM does not want me to roll a new character considering how the story has progressed. So instead he's given me the option of redoing my paladin, only rule is I have to still have a base paladin. Oh and I can't change my ability score and hp.

So I've been reading through old forum post for PrC options but still have some questions.

So here's my current setup.

I'm level 6 human paladin, my CHA is 19, WIS is 15, STR 16, and the rest are 13. Due to the story progression, my paladin is out to get revenge for a PC who was killed ( my pally worships St. Cuthbert so it works nicely), and all our baddies have been magic based, so he's grown to hate magic and mages.

Currently as part of my revamp my GM is letting me take the feats of Leadership and Dragon Cohort (tons of dragon stuff happening right now so that's pretty sweet). So that leaves me with two feats open. I'm replacing special mount with Charging Smite so I don't have the negative to my Leadership score.

My current plan is PLD 5 bare minimum. I was thinking of taking 5 levels of Occult Slayer as its pretty anti magic.

Now I've seen a lot of people talk about Ordained Champion, though I fail to see how that is useful for a base paladin. The description makes it seem like you lose out on a lot of things by not having cleric levels, and I'm not sold on dipping into cleric either.

My GM has also agreed to let me take Divine Champion if I want, even though my alignment doesn't line up with St Cuthbert exactly. I like some of the flavor and the spells are nice, though I question taking a full 10 levels of it.

Knights of the Chalice is interesting as well, my GM has sort of hinted that it'll be really nice for where the campaign will ultimately end up. Though some of the flavor isn't that interesting.

Fist of Raziel is always a fan favorite from what I've seen, and the ablity to progress smite further is also really nice.

My main issue is this: I want a prestige that doesn't make my PLD levels useless. But I also want to have tactical choices in my actions besides just choosing to smite or auto attack. So the thought of getting something that adds more spells and getting the feat of Battle Blessing has sounded intersting as well.

Anything from ToB is pretty much a no-go as the GM would require me to have to find/meet a Crusader or what not to dip in it.

Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out!

Xerlith
2014-06-21, 12:56 PM
I think you should meet the A-Game Paladin (http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3407376).
You don't have to use all the tricks presented there - but some of them are universally wonderful.

If you want to keep up later in the game, Divine Crusader dip before taking Fist of Raziel nets you 9th level spells, although from just one domain (or more, if strategic dips are used).
A Cleric dip before taking Fist of Raziel lets you progress (much better) Cleric casting instead of Paladin's a bit crippled one.

For a different approach, a Paladin4/Duskblade2/Suel Arcanamach4/Abjurant Champion5/Spellsword1/ lets some arcane magic into your build and makes you a quite good mage slayer. Maybe.
Bonus points for having Charisma focus. And you can grab Divine Might. Or Travel Devotion. Or... Well, anything powered by Turn Undead attempts.

Paladin4/Pious Templar gets faster spellcasting progression.

If you CAN find a Crusader (how strange classes are played in your game), Paladin4/Crusader1/Ruby Knight Vindicator is VERY worth it. Battle Blesing galore.\

At Pal5, if you don't need your mount, grab Charging Smite instead.

My main issue is this: I want a prestige that doesn't make my PLD levels useless. But I also want to have tactical choices in my actions besides just choosing to smite or auto attack. So the thought of getting something that adds more spells and getting the feat of Battle Blessing has sounded intersting as well.

Yeah, sounds like the Crusader would be the simplest way of helping you with that.

Faily
2014-06-22, 10:55 AM
I would personally go Paladin 5/Pious Templar 4/Cleric 1 or Divine Crusader 1/Fist of Raziel 10 for a quick and easy build.

Your Lay on Hands won't progress much, but apart from the 1 level of Cleric, you will get lots more Smiting to do.

On Paladin 5, replace Mount with Charging Smite (PHB2). It's better than normal smite AND if you miss on your Charging Smite, it doesn't expend a use of Smite!

For Feats, you need to pick up Weapon Focus, True Believer, Servant of the Heavens and Power Attack to qualify for the prestige classes, but as a Human, you'll have them done by level 6 so no worries. For other Feats, I'd recommend picking up Improved Smiting (Complete Divine) for even better Smites, and some Divine Feats that will let you spend those useless Turn Undeads, Complete Warrior got some good ones here.

If you don't want to pick up Cleric or Divine Crusader, you can progress your Paladin casting instead and pick up Battle Blessing (Complete Champion) to cast your Paladin spells as Swift Actions.

Currently playing a Paladin myself in 3.5, I will agree that it is a rather poor class, but requires a bit more tricksy-mixing to make it work. :)