PDA

View Full Version : Mind-Affecting Tag on Non-Mind-Affecting Spells

Rubik
2014-06-21, 07:44 PM
Is there a metamagic or other effect that would grant the [Mind-Affecting] tag to a magical effect that doesn't already have one, such as Explosive Runes, Apocalypse from the Sky, or Fimbulwinter?

With a box
2014-06-21, 07:49 PM
I don't understand why you want such thing.
Dosen't Mind-Affecting tag is considered bad thing because of it allows a lot of immunity?(mind-blank, undead, construct.....)

Rubik
2014-06-21, 07:52 PM
I don't understand why you want such thing.
Dosen't Mind-Affecting tag is considered bad thing because of it allows a lot of immunity?(mind-blank, undead, construct.....)Nah. There's a method to my madness.

World overrun with undead (take note, EagleJarl). Add the [Mind-Affecting] descriptor to, say, Apocalypse from the Sky or Fimbulwinter. Then add Threnodic Spell via metamagic rod or something to make it only affect the undead.

atemu1234
2014-06-21, 08:00 PM
Nah. There's a method to my madness.

World overrun with undead (take note, EagleJarl). Add the [Mind-Affecting] descriptor to, say, Apocalypse from the Sky or Fimbulwinter. Then add Threnodic Spell via metamagic rod or something to make it only affect the undead.

I'm going to go with no. Not a lot of Metamagic feats add descriptors, because the only way to do so would drastically alter their effects. Metamagics that add, say, the fire descriptor do so because they literally make the spell fire. Following this logic, the only way to make something mind-affecting is by making it effect the mind, by making it an illusion or something, which is hard to do with most evocations quite simply because they boil down to "throw ball of fire at the enemy".

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-06-21, 08:10 PM
The closest thing I can find is Fell Frighten, which only causes creatures damaged by the spell which are subject to mind-affecting and fear effects to become shaken. It doesn't actually add any descriptors to the spell.

Song of the Dead causes any mind-affecting spell to only affect (non-mindless) undead, and it turns any spell into a necromancy spell.

Purify Spell in BoED makes a modified spell deal no damage to good-aligned creatures, half damage to neutral-aligned creatures, and normal damage to evil creatures (more for evil outsiders). It requires a good alignment, and using an enormous area effect with this to wipe out undead will almost certainly have a few neutral-aligned humanoid casualties. Plus it only affects damage dealt by a spell, it won't do any good for a huge save-or-die or nondamaging effect.

Edit: Come to think of it, if you could somehow use an Illusion (Phantasm) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#phantasm) to duplicate a spell effect similar to what a Shadowcraft Mage does with Illusion (Figment) spells, it would be a mind-affecting spell and you can use Song of the Dead or whatever to make it not affect non-undead.

Edit2: Incantations (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm) are used to make highly specialized versions of spells, so you should be able to make a custom Incantation that duplicates a huge spell but only affects undead within the area.

peacenlove
2014-06-22, 12:46 AM
Dread Witch 3rd level explicitly adds the fear descriptor to any spell with a visual descriptor. 1/day
Dread witch 5 gives it 2/day
Fear effects are mind affecting effects IIRC.
If you go that route it is advisable to take the 4th level of that class, since it bypasses immunities to fear.