PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Creating a 1st-level ninja, pregenerated character

Jon_Dahl
2014-06-22, 04:38 AM
I'm going to run a vanilla one-shot 3.5 adventure with pregenerated characters. I decided to get fancy and create a half-elf ninja. The problem is that I’m having difficulties making him a worthwhile character.

Ninja’s main function in combat is his sudden strike ability. However, it’s a bit difficult to utilize it since the opponent has to lose its dex bonus for the sudden strike to work.

Can you give me tips how to make a 1st-level ninja a meaningful character in a combat-heavy one-shot? I already read the Ninja Handbook but got very little out of it.

Xerlith
2014-06-22, 04:54 AM
Half-Elf Ninja?
So, basically, Potato Potato. About as useful in combat as a ripe vegetable.

At higher levels, a good choice of items, skill tricks and feats could allow for getting the enemy flatfooted easily. At 1st level - you get your Sudden strike once per combat. Period.

The race choice is weak - as is the class. Rectifying it needs to change at least one of these things.

For class, your best bet is (wait for it...) Swordsage. Really. Does the hide-shadowy-supernatural schtick much better. Still can dress in pajamas and call themself a Ninja.

For a race, well. Whisper Gnome, Human, those two are probably the best bets for a ninja.

If you're hell-bent on the Ninja class... Make it human.
Pump Dexterity, grab two flaws, take Weapon Finesse, Martial Study: Clinging Shadow Strike, Martial Stance: Child of Shadows and Shadow Blade (dex to damage). Well, maybe grab a third flaw and get Two-Weapon Fighting. It would allow you to get two Sudden Strike attacks off. Mobile, agile combatant that should be hard to hit.

But at this point, you might as well play a Swordsage.

Jon_Dahl
2014-06-22, 05:35 AM
Thank you Xerlith! I just want to point out one critically important fact.
Most or some of the players in this one-shot are newbies or relatively new to the game. If the character sheet says "half-elf swordsage", it provokes little reaction from anyone who's not familiar with the ToB. Now "half-elf ninja" on the other hand... I think you already understood my point :)

singera
2014-06-22, 06:17 AM
if you really want to be a ninja id suggest the race of rat people known as the nezumi with your high wisdom you can interduce them to the mechanics of the scent feat as nezumi are allowed to take it and it fits the class giving a natural bonus to hide and move silently as well as a fast move speed and high con to counter the low d6 hit dice

Xerlith
2014-06-22, 06:33 AM
Thank you Xerlith! I just want to point out one critically important fact.
Most or some of the players in this one-shot are newbies or relatively new to the game. If the character sheet says "half-elf swordsage", it provokes little reaction from anyone who's not familiar with the ToB. Now "half-elf ninja" on the other hand... I think you already understood my point :)

Got it. Now, it's easy to subvert.
Build a Swordsage as normal.
Erase "Swordsage", write "Ninja" in all instances.
Done.

Why, you can also try a homebrew fix (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2871.0)...

With all due respect to your idea, the vanilla Ninja class can be - at first level - seen performing on par with the rest, but that would be not thanks to the class abilities, but despite them - basically, building a character in such a way that they'll work on whatever chassis we put them.
Least you can do is give them Sneak Attack instead of Sudden Strike.

sideswipe
2014-06-22, 06:17 PM
Half-Elf Ninja?
So, basically, Potato Potato. About as useful in combat as a ripe vegetable.

At higher levels, a good choice of items, skill tricks and feats could allow for getting the enemy flatfooted easily. At 1st level - you get your Sudden strike once per combat. Period.

The race choice is weak - as is the class. Rectifying it needs to change at least one of these things.

For class, your best bet is (wait for it...) Swordsage. Really. Does the hide-shadowy-supernatural schtick much better. Still can dress in pajamas and call themself a Ninja.

For a race, well. Whisper Gnome, Human, those two are probably the best bets for a ninja.

If you're hell-bent on the Ninja class... Make it human.
Pump Dexterity, grab two flaws, take Weapon Finesse, Martial Study: Clinging Shadow Strike, Martial Stance: Child of Shadows and Shadow Blade (dex to damage). Well, maybe grab a third flaw and get Two-Weapon Fighting. It would allow you to get two Sudden Strike attacks off. Mobile, agile combatant that should be hard to hit.

But at this point, you might as well play a Swordsage.

cant take weapon finesse as they do not have base attack 1 at level 1

Feint's End
2014-06-23, 03:05 AM

Yuk those bad thought through requirements in 3.5 are disturbing indeed.

Otherwise I second xerlith. Just use swordsage and write ninja on your sheet and you are done

Xerlith
2014-06-23, 04:45 AM

Ye gods, you're right. I always houserule that away, so I kind of forgot\. :smallbiggrin:

HammeredWharf
2014-06-23, 05:48 AM
Swordsage is a bit more complex than normal melee classes, but maneuver cards (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20061225a) help a lot and are generally fun to have around.

Don't punish a poor newbie by giving him/her a ninja PC. It's one of the worst classes in 3.5. Even monks are better, because at least they have useful ACFs.