PDA

View Full Version : Getting players into the thick of war

AntiTrust
2014-06-22, 05:29 AM
I've been dropping hits here and there about a new war brewing. Their levels are finally where I want them to start it (9), but they don't have any political or military connections? I sort of imagined them help advise troop movements or battle plans or give themselves a secret mission to accomplish, but since they have no ties I'm in sort of writers block as to how to make it happen.

Kol Korran
2014-06-22, 08:39 AM
We may need to know more about the players, the situation they are in, a brief on what they've done, and the war itself. A few ideas though:
- Put some goal of them in the warzone- someone they are trying to find (Maybe an enemy, maybe a friend) and let the players figure out how to get there, as it behind lines. They may need to approach a militery figure, which may ask a favor in exchange for their help
- Build up the war! Make it a very real and immediate thing. Lots of survivors, wounded coming home. Maybe a big recruiting in their location, maybe some enemy have sent troops behind the lines to hit a strategical spot, which happens to be where the party is in. Once the party learns more of the situation, they might seek more info themselves.
- They are level 9, right? SO they have done quite a few impressive things. Have someone ofthe militery seek them out, for that special mission.

dojango
2014-06-23, 10:14 PM
Mercenaries are a pretty important factor in most wars, and PCs tend to be pretty mercenary to begin with. Perhaps Side A offers them a ton of money to perform an important mission? And while they're doing that, Side B offers them more money to do something else. See how long they can work for both sides. Or perhaps the bellergents intend to screw the party over by not paying them? Very traditional as well.