PDA

View Full Version : Cleric vs Constructs

m149307
2014-06-22, 06:38 AM
Are there any good Cleric spells (I am level 8, so 4th level spells and below) that can help handle a construct?

hymer
2014-06-22, 07:55 AM
What sources do you have? And what domains?

Straightforward buffing of you and your allies will work as usual, of course. Air Walk in particular can keep you and your friends out of reach of melee-based constructs, nullifying most golems' ability to harm you. Most of constructs being mindless makes it less likely they get creative when they can't reach you.

m149307
2014-06-22, 08:27 AM
I have open sources, and my domains are Undeath and Planning

hymer
2014-06-22, 09:40 AM
I can't really think of much that is particularly effective against constructs per se. Most of your tactics are down to your basics, buff up and beat down.
If you're doing Clericzilla, you could add in Ebon Eyes and a Darkness effect to get some miss chance if you don't have it.
Guidance of the Avatar to UMD some figments or glamours can tie down or bypass a construct, who have pretty poor will saves. You still need to be trained at least in UMD for that, though.
Shatter isn't generally useful, but should you be dealing with a crystal construct (maybe an animated statue?), it can be quite decent for a second level spell.
Summon beatstick will generally be playing into construct strength. Summon Undead III could get you an ogre zombie, which could probably get through a construct's customary DR or Hardness, but the OZ couldn't stand up to a CR 8 golem much more than around or two. But it might do decently against smaller constructs without reach, if you can steer it so you pretty much always get AoO.
Construct stupidity tends to make them good targets for hit-and-run tactics. It shouldn't be impossible to work out a situation where you can avoid getting attacked with some BFC or movement superiority. Then it's up to the ranged attackers to take them down little by little.

Eldariel
2014-06-22, 10:06 AM
Usually, buffing yourself skyhigh and bringing down the smackdown most righteous is a very efficient means of breaking things. Divine Power, Divine Favor, Greater Magic Weapon & whatever non-Core sources you have access to would give you a great framework for that already and you're just as free to do it with a bow as with a sword, whichever is more convenient.