PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Multiclassing help

Suzuha
2014-06-22, 02:31 PM
tl;dr is at the bottom of my post.

Most of my tabletop gaming started some odd eight years ago, but I've only started playing Pathfinder (albeit truncated games - will detail that briefly) about three years ago. Before that, I didn't really have to worry about more than one class. Got to choose something, stuck with it, and I was generally happy for it. I've always been a roleplayer- playing non-stat-based storytelling type things all my life underneath it, so I'm very much a 'fluff' person.

A problem I've always had in games like Pathfinder and 3.5 (~since I'm so fluffy~) is that I have a hard time thinking of why my character might think of even multiclassing. I've really only done it once in my first pathfinder game I played in because it was part of the character's background (Long story short: slave broke free and was a rogue until he got some bardic training). Other than that, I did the ol' Barbarian/Horizon Walker combo (I can't remember specifics about the character's classes beyond that), but it felt kind of weird just jumping into the Horizon Walker because I had the prereqs (Prestige classes count, right?). Unless you want to count a gestalt campaign I was in- which I wouldn't since I stuck with two classes. This is more about branching out.

Now, I know it's probably pretty petty of me to purposely put myself in this preposterous position, but alliteration aside, I understand that I can choke myself down with a class on a wide range of personalities for a character. It also doesn't help that a lot of games I play don't go very far. A lot of them could be called an E6 campaign and you wouldn't know the difference because we've already moved on to a different game (this had burnt me out at one point, but I've recovered since, so not a huge deal). You'd think in games I know won't be spanning on many levels, I'd be more apt to experiment.

Before I get advice from you all, I'd like to say I know the obvious solution is to talk to my DM when I feel like multiclassing a class so that it can feel more organic. I could also have my character view an NPC or another player's class as being cool and wanting to learn how to be like them. I know there are solutions, I just don't think I have a good mindset for them. Something about distracting a DM from the story for me to look into a multiclass also seems... I don't know, selfish? I totally know that we play it to have fun, but if it ends up being something in every game, I can see how it could be bothersome (unless I start with levels multiclassed already, but that's another problem- we usually start off at level 1 in a lot of games). Alternatively, I should probably just 'feel weird' and go with it. I want to point out, I have fun without multiclassing in games all the time- I still love it. I just realize I'm stifled. It won't come to a surprise at all if the main advice is to "man up" over it.

--------------------

tl;dr - I choke myself with roleplaying and don't choose to multiclass because I feel it doesn't mesh with the story or character (mostly the latter). I'd also feel like a bother orchestrating something with the DM. Advice to help me out here?

Karnith
2014-06-22, 02:43 PM
A problem I've always had in games like Pathfinder and 3.5 (~since I'm so fluffy~) is that I have a hard time thinking of why my character might think of even multiclassing.
How would your character even know that he or she was multiclassing? Do you play games where characters are aware, in-universe, of their mechanical builds (i.e. "I am George the Fighter 2/Swashbuckler 3/Warblade 3" vs. "I am George the puissant duelist")? Do characters require specific training to take class levels?

Generally speaking, if a certain set of abilities from separate classes represents your character concept, there shouldn't really be any RP-side incongruity even if the mechanical side is Frankensteined together from different classes; for the character, those are simply the skills that he or she has acquired while adventuring.

John Longarrow
2014-06-22, 02:48 PM
Suzuha

From a "Fluff" perspective, think of what your character wants and what they are trying to do. Often you won't find a single class that matches your characters goals. THAT is the point where you start multiclassing.

For a classic, think Elric. Summoner or legendary ability. Demon blooded. Lethal with a blade. No single class does that, but if you mix sorcerer and fighter you get Elric.

Pluto!
2014-06-22, 02:58 PM
"I want to play a Fighter/Wizard" isn't really any more of an imposition on the DM than "I want to play a Duskblade."

If the awkward part is that characters' abilities pop up out of nowhere, and a Fighter 1/Wizard 1 suddenly gains magic powers out of nowhere, that's a flavor of awkwardness that's just a part of the system - Paladins and Rangers have it built-in - and which everybody, no matter how straightforward the build, usually has to turn a blind eye toward anyway.

Suzuha
2014-06-22, 04:53 PM
How would your character even know that he or she was multiclassing? Do you play games where characters are aware, in-universe, of their mechanical builds (i.e. "I am George the Fighter 2/Swashbuckler 3/Warblade 3" vs. "I am George the puissant duelist")? Do characters require specific training to take class levels?

Oh, no. That isn't quite my concern. My character never knows their 'class' and might generally refer to it based on what they are. Such as a fighter saying he's a soldier or a warrior.

From a "Fluff" perspective, think of what your character wants and what they are trying to do. Often you won't find a single class that matches your characters goals. THAT is the point where you start multiclassing.

While that normally would work for me, our games are normally super-short, so I can only get my multiclassing in if we start at a higher level. Which is rare with my group. But that's also the thing- I do find a single class matches my character's goals. I would like to develop out of that, however and become more versatile if I can.

"I want to play a Fighter/Wizard" isn't really any more of an imposition on the DM than "I want to play a Duskblade."

If the awkward part is that characters' abilities pop up out of nowhere, and a Fighter 1/Wizard 1 suddenly gains magic powers out of nowhere, that's a flavor of awkwardness that's just a part of the system - Paladins and Rangers have it built-in - and which everybody, no matter how straightforward the build, usually has to turn a blind eye toward anyway.

You hit it on the head. That 'awkwardness flavor' is something that makes me go 'but why would it happen?' I realize I'm too concerned over it and it'd solve a lot if there were momentary timeskips in our games to allow for an understood timeframe of where the character had the time to spontaneously get new and possibly (especially) radically different abilities. Or something even taught on the side of the questing that manifests upon a level-up (that's not such a bad idea for me).

eggynack
2014-06-22, 05:06 PM
You hit it on the head. That 'awkwardness flavor' is something that makes me go 'but why would it happen?' I realize I'm too concerned over it and it'd solve a lot if there were momentary timeskips in our games to allow for an understood timeframe of where the character had the time to spontaneously get new and possibly (especially) radically different abilities. Or something even taught on the side of the questing that manifests upon a level-up (that's not such a bad idea for me).
That problem exists even without multiclassing, as pluto noted. You're going along your merry way, and you kill an orc, and suddenly you can trip folks easier, or dimension door occasionally, or rule the world with the force of your sheer power in a way you never could before. You're necessarily ignoring this stuff anyway, so why not ignore a different type of stuff? I mean, most of the time it won't be as awkward as a fighter/wizard. You just say, "Look, now I can full attack on a charge," instead of saying, "Look, now I have a bonus to intimidate checks," (as a fighter using zhentarim soldier). The former is probably actually less incongruous than the former on a melee build.

Karnith
2014-06-22, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I'd say that the problem seems much more to be the nature of D&D's level-based system than it is multiclassing.

Suzuha
2014-06-22, 05:48 PM
That problem exists even without multiclassing, as pluto noted. You're going along your merry way, and you kill an orc, and suddenly you can trip folks easier, or dimension door occasionally, or rule the world with the force of your sheer power in a way you never could before. You're necessarily ignoring this stuff anyway, so why not ignore a different type of stuff? I mean, most of the time it won't be as awkward as a fighter/wizard. You just say, "Look, now I can full attack on a charge," instead of saying, "Look, now I have a bonus to intimidate checks," (as a fighter using zhentarim soldier). The former is probably actually less incongruous than the former on a melee build.

I think it's the big changes that throw me off. Something small like suddenly being able to trip people better (I would assume my character was already the type to trip in the first place- maybe not all the time, but that'd be enough for me) isn't quite a leap for me to give it a second thought. When experience feeds into the same class to open up new techniques or spells, it doesn't feel as jarring (barring some exceptions) to suddenly have something new.

Yeah, I'd say that the problem seems much more to be the nature of D&D's level-based system than it is multiclassing.

I'm glad it's not just me in that case. Don't get me wrong- I love the potential of versatility and I'm not searching for a system that conforms to how I constrict myself. I freely admit that I'm the biggest part of the problem with this and this is just for myself personally. If any other player multiclasses or if I'm DMing it, people can do as they please and I'm not bothered by it one bit.

I will say that this thread is making me consider potential ways to 'justify' future levels in other classes so that I could build more uniquely. So... Mission accomplished?

Coidzor
2014-06-22, 06:11 PM
tl;dr - I choke myself with roleplaying and don't choose to multiclass because I feel it doesn't mesh with the story or character (mostly the latter). I'd also feel like a bother orchestrating something with the DM. Advice to help me out here?

Multiclassing isn't a bother and if it is, then there's something off about that DM.

Suzuha
2014-06-22, 07:13 PM
Multiclassing isn't a bother and if it is, then there's something off about that DM.

My tl;dr should've been a little more specific. As a player, I would feel like a bother to a DM to go "hey, do this for me". I give feedback in general, but it's a more personal thing instead of giving feedback on how I like campaign direction and such. It's totally all on me for being an issue.