PDA

View Full Version : AMiH Sidequest: Grundy's Forge!

inexorabletruth
2014-06-22, 06:49 PM
Retracing your steps at a breakneck pace, the crowd parts before you. Those that can't get out of your way bounce off your metallic body as if they were made of rubber. In a matter of seconds, you've closed the gap to the forge to discover a disconcerting sight.

The door to the forge is open and there are sounds of a struggle going on inside. You hear Master Grundy roar and something heavy slams into a wall, followed by the sounds of tools falling off hooks and rebounding on the floor!

esorscher
2014-06-22, 07:53 PM
I knew I should have stayed here! Solomon yells inside its head. It unhooks its greatclub from its back and charges in, looking for Master Grundy's assailant. If possible, Solomon attacks the assailant with the greatclub: [roll0], [roll1]

inexorabletruth
2014-06-24, 10:37 AM
You storm in to a disaster. The store is a wreck; there are tools and broken furniture everywhere and Master Grundy and another, much slimmer man with thinning hair and padded armor are locked in a deadly grapple.

Master Grundy is marked with a few minor cuts on his arm and cheek, and the thin man has a broken nose. Grundy is struggling to gain control of the thinner man's knife. Master Grundy is unarmed, but his blacksmith's hammer is near his reach, as if he'd been using it as a weapon and it was recently knocked away.

Charging in with all the momentum of a battering ram, you blast into the intruder like an avalanche of metal and fury, sending the thinner man flying away from Master Grundy. The man crashes into the tool bench, sending him twisting and spinning through the air until he lands head, first into the quenching bucket behind the bench, shattering the bucket into splinters. The thin man's ankle is facing the wrong way and blood is trickling from his ear.

Master Grundy rests his hands on his knees, gasping for breath. He's strong, but not as young as he used to be and the fight clearly took a lot out of him. "Good... huff... good work, Solomon." He groans as he straightens up and picks up his hammer, then limps over to the sprawled form on the floor, nudging him with his foot.

The person doesn't respond, but he looks like the beggar from the street earlier.

"Theives..." he explains. "Two of 'em. Only one I saw was a kid, so I brought him inside to give 'im a chance to give the money back, then this one came at me from behind." He coughs some as he catches his breath. "I think ya' killed 'im, Solomon."

He kneels down to check the thief's neck for a pulse.

Turns out I didn't need a battle grid. Good first round! I just got called in to work, so I've got to go. Please remind me to assign some XP.

esorscher
2014-06-24, 10:45 AM
Now that the two are alone, Solomon can finally speak freely, unburdened by whatever emotion keeps it from voicing its opinion in the company of others. "Good work? Good work would have been staying here. I am sorry, Master. I should never have left your side. It was hubris, it was folly, it was my fault," Solomon says as it helps Master Grundy to his feet. "If I had been here, they would never have tried to steal from you, and this one would not be dead." Solomon began processing its thoughts and emotions regarding the thief's death. Solomon was built to protect, and the thief meant harm to Grundy, and so Solomon was fulfilling its duty. The thief had violated laws, and so Solomon was bringing justice, of a fashion. Yet, Solomon was also taking life, and Master Grundy had talked often about the chance for rehabilitation. There was no such chance in death. Now, the lifeless corpse had no value, and did not belong in the forge. "Where is the other? The child?"

Solomon will put the forge back in order, strip the thief naked, and wrap the body in a canvas sheet to take down to the river for disposal. Before it leaves, however, it will ask Master Grundy a few more questions, about Aria.

That. was. awesome! Thank you! Don't forget about the XP--I apply the Tier bonus myself, correct?

inexorabletruth
2014-06-25, 08:54 AM
Master Grundy crinkles his brow into a look of sympathy and sadness as he accepts Solomon’s help to stand. “Son,” he says and it’s unclear if it’s the delirium of exhaustion or if he actually meant to call you son, but he continues on without correcting himself. “Ya’ ain’t got no hubris in ya. I never once in my life seen ya do anythin’ outta pride ‘er vanity. Hrm. Hrm… Ya’ ain’t never done a selfish thing in yer life.”

He takes a moment to stare at the body of the thief in disbelief. Then he awakens from his reflections at your inquiry. “The boy? Hrm. He ran away durin’ the fight, but I managed ta keep hold of the money. It’s over there, hangin’ on that hook. He was just a lad; I’m glad he weren’ here ta see this. Hrm…”

Master Grundy sees you begin to take care of the corpse and starts working on the shop, putting right what furniture isn’t broken.

As you strip the thief down, you find the mark of Stiletto on him. The coloration denotes that he’s a low-level thief, but still one of theirs. You recognize him now as a common haunt in the poor district. He’s known amongst the locals as “The Beggar” because of his act, where he begs for coin from unsuspecting travelers and newcomers to town, while a second thief sneaks up from behind, cutting purses from belts. Master Grundy must’ve seen the ruse and tried to stop the second thief from stealing from one of the new workers at his forge.

This means trouble. Foiling a thief of the guild is one thing. That’s just part of what Stiletto views as the game. But killing one of theirs, even a low level one, means Stiletto will have to make an example out of the killer.

Master Grundy doesn’t seem to notice your work or your sudden revelations. He looks a little light-headed from blood loss and over exertion as he clumsily puts the shop to order. “Aria? Hrm… I don’ know, Solomon. Them Illumians got it bad from this plague. There ain’t a lot a hope fer magical kin around here. Hrm… I’m surprised no one’s already just killed ‘er fer the bounty. She’s a good kid and deserves a chance at a normal life. Besides… I ain’t gettin’ any younger. And Haftan…” he sways a bit on his feet then decides to sit down for a minute.

He finally notices Solomon taking the wrapped corpse toward the door. “Ya know what path we’re choosin’ if we don’t report this to tha’ guards, right? Hrm. Put ‘im down, son. We need to report this. Ya’ ain’t done nothin’ wrong that we need to hide.”

Take 150 Combat XP for the battle.
And 75 RPXP for your sweet RP game so far.
Remember, don't add your bonus to the RPXP, but do add your bonus to your CXP.

esorscher
2014-06-25, 09:22 AM
"Aria mentioned the Paragnostic Assembly when she was talking to you. What is that?" Solomon asks at an appropriate conversation point, adding Master Grundy's definition to what he already knows (nothing) about the term.

"About Haftan. I did not know you had a nephew, Master Grundy. He is a Grundy?" Solomon says, in the process of wrapping up the corpse. But at Grundy's command, he stops, and, takes his hand off the door.

Solomon puts the corpse down, still wrapped in canvas, on an empty table. It had begun to dispose of the body automatically, without consideration, not to cover its tracks, but out of instinct. What did that say about it? It filed that question to consider later, when it was alone. "What will the Stiletto do to you if they discover I am the one who killed him? What will the guards do? What will the boy thief do?"

inexorabletruth
2014-06-25, 12:05 PM
Grundy scratches his head for a moment. “I’m not sure what the Paragnostic Assembly is, but Aria says they’re researchin’ a cure to the magical plague. Any group who is workin’ to end this madness’s got my support.”

“Well,” he sighs in response to the question about Haftan, “The note my sister left with ‘im is in’er handwritin’. He don’t look much like my sister, but he’s about th’ right age. I haven’t seen Elena (Master Grundy’s younger sister) or Haftan in years. But if they’re in trouble, then perhaps I should get her to move back inta th’ forge. We’re doing pretty well here, and if she’s struggling to feed her family, then I c’n help with that. I could use some help gettin’ this minin’ gear to Ranador, an’ some extra hands’d mean I ain’t gotta shut the forge down to do it.”

Grundy listens to Solomon’s questions about the body with growing concern. “Stiletto? That’s a Stiletto man?!”

Grundy’s face darkens with concern and he pounds the arm rest of his chair. He pulls himself to a stand, grunting with the effort. “Are you certain?” He shuts the door and bolts it, then lights a candle and bends down to inspect the body.

Stiletto owns most of the guards in Poor District. The panic on Grundy’s face is evident… When his eyes fall on the tattoo, the mark of a guild thief, he slumps back against the wall. "Oh Solomon..." you recognize the expression he's now making. It's the one he makes when he refuses to lie but cares too much to tell the truth. Rather than explain what will happen to you if Stiletto finds out about this, he simply says, "Ya can't be seen with this body, Solomon. Fire up the furnace..."

esorscher
2014-06-25, 12:37 PM
Solomon does as instructed, having the furnace blazing in a matter of moments. Its mind is racing with questions about the Elena Grundy and the Haftan Grundy, who it never knew existed. It created entries in its mental lexicon to organize understanding of these people, these Grundys. The Elena Grundy and The Haftan Grundy. Solomon developed a process to catalog new information under these entries, beginning with all it had already observed. As it fans the flames, it says, "I would like to meet the Elena Grundy. Who are the Stiletto?"

inexorabletruth
2014-06-25, 03:04 PM
"The Stiletto are the thieves guild... and'ey pretty much run the Poor District. Ya can't just kill one'a their own an' get away with it. Help me with this body." He drags the corpse toward the furnace and, with your help, tosses it in the fire. "I think I can arrange fer ya t'meet my sister, Solomon. I need ya to do something fer me."

He heads upstairs to his bedroom for a few moments, then comes down with a small treasure chest. "Take Haftan back to my sister an' give'r this. It's a bit'a my savings. It'll help take care of tha' boy. Stay with em until I send word. Shouldn't be more'n a week. If ya' don't hear from me by then..." he pauses a moment, then claps Solomon on the shoulder. "Then be free, son. Go live a life somewhere an' do what ya' want. I'd set ya free right now, but I need ya to do this to protect yerself and th' family." He's no hugger... and that's the closest to affection he's ever shown anyone that you've seen. His face is serious, and his actions seem desperate.

esorscher
2014-06-25, 03:41 PM
Solomon looks down at Master Grundy's hand, confused and touched by the show of emotion. Part of it wants to ask Master Grundy what is going on. It files away what Master Grundy says for future consideration. Then it takes the sack of coin from Master Grundy's hand and places it in a compartment on its right hip. It stands still thinking. After much consideration, it finally says, "Master Grundy, I will always protect self and I will always protect Grundy. But above all else you built me to protect the Master Grundy. With what I have done, with what you have told me of duty and priority, I must stay at your side.

The Haftan Grundy has expressed that he will return here tomorrow morning. The Haftan Grundy was not with the group at the Ale House and I do not know where he went. If I left your side to find him I would be unsuccessful.

Others have also expressed continued interest in their employment with you and will return sometime. Perhaps before the Haftan Grundy--Aria your assistant smith, for example, will be here tomorrow for your meeting with the stranger from Harkill's Ironhearts. My observations over this past week and tonight indicate her to be capable and considerate. I would have more reason to adjust priorities regarding protecting the Haftan Grundy and the Elena Grundy, if you had another capable person at your side.

I will stay at your side. With the threat the Stiletto pose, I can do nothing else. I also think it would be smart to keep people you trust at hand as well as myself. Would you like me to send for Grandson Grundy?" After hearing the response, Solomon suggests, "You should get some rest. I will guard you until Haftan returns."

inexorabletruth
2014-06-25, 05:47 PM
“Ya can’t protect yerself against this, and ya can’t protect me. If Stiletto figures out what happened, they’re gonna come after ya’ and they’re gonna sell ya fer parts. And there ain’t nothing I’m gonna be able ta do about it. They’ve had their eye on ya all yer life. Why do ya think I never let ya go out on social visits before? I figured with such a big group, mosta’ them armed, ya’d be safe. They’re gonna take ya, an’ they’re gonna tear ya apart, Solomon.”

esorscher
2014-06-25, 07:26 PM
Nothing Master Grundy was saying was wrong. None of it made Solomon feel good--in fact, quite the opposite. So much trouble was about to befall the Grundy household, and it was the cause, its decision to leave. "Master Grundy, I simply can not let harm come to you. It is very likely that Stiletto will take retribution against you if I am not around. I would rather they sell me for scrap than risk harm to you. You know I must stay."

Solomon considers for a moment. "The men and women who worked here this past week would work for you again. Not as smiths, but as investigators. They--and I--can take on this Stiletto gang and make them reconsider the cost of acquiring me." It pauses. "If not... let them come."

Solomon is intractable on this decision. Even a direct order would not supersede his first priority, Protect Grundy.

inexorabletruth
2014-06-26, 10:48 PM
Master Grundy is too weak from the fight to argue any more with Solomon, and seeing his resolve, he decides it wouldn’t do much good anyway.

After a long pause an a wheezing cough, he nods as if finally agreeing. “Very well. Solomon, I will tend the forge fire. Ya’ don’t need ta see this. Barricade the doors and windows and put bells at all entrances fer anything bigger’n a mouse. We hole’ up fer the night an’ we’ll figure this out in the mornin’ after I’ve had some rest.” He moves over to the furnace and pokes what you can only assume is a stray limb of the corpse. He sighs and shakes his head as he eases onto a stool.

esorscher
2014-06-27, 07:55 AM
Solomon has nothing more to say at this point, too burdened by its shame at the trouble it has brought to Master Grundy's Shoppe. It does as instructed, all the while thinking about its actions and what it could have done differently. Didn't have to go for the kill, it thinks. Could have just knocked him out. In the heat of the moment, with the direct threat to Master Grundy, it acted thoughtlessly and without considering the consequences.

inexorabletruth
2014-06-27, 10:04 PM
A few minutes pass and you hear Master Grundy begin to snore. Looking over, you can see that he has fallen asleep sitting on his stool. The poker he’s using to feed the corpse into the flame slips from his calloused fingers and onto the stone floor with a thud. It has been a long day, and that was a lot of excitement for an old man…

In the dark, the only light is from the flame of the furnace and the only sounds are Grundy’s rhythmic snoring and the crackling of the flame. Several moments of stillness pass before you hear a muffled commotion coming from the streets. It’s different from the usual bustle and sounds distressed.

esorscher
2014-06-27, 10:18 PM
Once Master Grundy begins snoring, Solomon gingerly lifts the old blacksmith into its arms and carries it as a babe to Master Grundy's bed. After tucking in its creator, Solomon returns to watch the burning corpse, stoking the fire occasionally to ensure a constant high heat. At the sound of commotion in the streets, Solomon peeks between the barricade at the darkness out the window, looking for the source of the noise.

inexorabletruth
2014-06-28, 11:27 PM
You see someone stumbling through the streets. At first, it just looks like a drunk vagrant, but when the person gets close to any others passing by, he lunges out at them. There seems to be no particular target for his rage… just a general interest in clawing and biting at anyone who comes near.

esorscher
2014-06-30, 11:59 AM
Grundyman does not react. The threat to Master Grundy is too great to do otherwise. He does, however, continue to watch the events outside.

inexorabletruth
2014-06-30, 01:11 PM
The beggar continues to flail about for several more seconds. A peasant challenges the beggar.

"'Ey! Ey you. Go home, or I'll knock yer teeth in! Yer scarin' me wife!"

The beggar snags the peasant by the shirt and pauses only for a moment, then yanks him in close, flinging the peasant to the ground. The beggar climbs onto him and begins tearing away at the peasants chest, punching, ripping, biting... anything it can do to harm the man! The peasant fights back in terror, but it obviously not a mach for the beggar.

The beggar's wife can only watch on in horror and scream for guards.

esorscher
2014-06-30, 10:10 PM
Solomon continues to watch. He looks up and down the street to see if any guard patrols are in sight. It's possible this beggar is part of the Stiletto guild as well, a distraction to lure Solomon out to protect the assumedly innocent. That is a self-assigned duty, and does not have the priority to supersede his duties from Master Grundy.

inexorabletruth
2014-06-30, 10:57 PM
A guard does arrive after several seconds. “Hey! Hey you! Get off him!” He shouts as he runs up to the commotion, pulling out a sap as he charges.

He slams the sap against the back of the beggar’s neck, but the beggar doesn’t stop tearing at the peasant.

The guard blows his whistle to summon more guards, drops his sap and prepares to draw his short sword.

You don't have to interact with this event, I'm just letting you know what's going on in the world around you. Inside the house, all is quiet, which would make for some very boring RP. :smallwink:

esorscher
2014-06-30, 11:16 PM
For sure, I'm enjoying it.

A sap, Solomon thinks, watching the guard work. It's nice to see the system function properly, a rarity in this place. Without moving, he looks about the room for the necessary materials to make a sap of his own. Such a weapon would have saved the life of the man now smoldering in the forge. Solomon glances to make sure the fire is doing its job, then looks back outside to see what is happening. Once that situation resolves, Solomon will make himself a sap while he keeps his ears on the street outside.

Craft by the day (take 10): 17
DC: 15
Cost of item (in copper): 100
Craft Check: 255

Solomon will complete the item in 40% of one day.

inexorabletruth
2014-07-02, 08:50 AM
The guard lines his attack, then lunges in at the beggar’s back, aiming apparently, for the pancreas, a painful, but not lethal, wound and a common first strike point for guards in the city.

The beggar doesn’t seem to respond to the pain of the attack, but continues to wail at the peasant, who is now feebly clinging to consciousness. “What in blazes?!” the guard yells. He retracts his blade. This time, he’s no longer hesitant. There is fear in his voice and deadly intent in his stance. Another guard rushes in. “Kill it!” the first guard shouts. Not even waiting for an explanation, the other guard swings hard at the beggars neck. The head flies off, spinning like a top in the air and lands with a wet thud in the filthy ground. The beggar continues to tear at the peasant a few more times before finally falling to the ground.

The headless beggars body twitches and writhes horrifically as the guards begin to hack at what remains of the beggar as the woman rushes to her husband’s side, cradling his bloodied head in her lap.

esorscher
2014-07-03, 02:41 PM
Solomon continues to watch, alternating its attention between the fire, the sap it is working on (until its finished) and the world outside the smith.

inexorabletruth
2014-07-06, 09:23 PM
As you work, you hear gossip from the streets. The beggar was no beggar at all, but some kind of nightmare creature. Some said the thing did not die even after it was beheaded, and the severed head continued to bite and loll its tongue even as the guards were dragging the pieces of the corpse away.

As night grew long, the murmurings died out. Stiletto could be seen, flitting about, looking for drunken fools to mug. Crime plagues this neighborhood and the guards were clearly being run ragged. You witness, however, that even the guards cannot be completely counted on as one guard receives a small purse from a Stiletto representative for failing to notice a housebreak.

esorscher
2014-07-07, 09:54 AM
Solomon puts the completed sap in an empty space on its hip next to its dagger, checks on the smoldering corpse, shifting it a bit in the fire to ensure that it burns completely, and then checks in on its sleeping master before resuming its post by the window, peeking through the crack in the shutters.

inexorabletruth
2014-07-09, 03:45 PM
You hear a rustling at the door. Looking outside, you see Haftan come back from his night of frivolity.

esorscher
2014-07-09, 05:46 PM
Grundyman checks the body in the fire before standing at attention at the door. It moves to obscure Haftan's sight of the forge if the body is not sufficiently burned. (What time is it? EDIT: To be clear, I am waiting for Haftan to knock.)

inexorabletruth
2014-07-09, 06:15 PM
It's still late into the night. The sun is not close to being on its way up. The group originally left about a half hour before sunset, so if I had to assign a time to it, it's probably around 1 am.

Vixsor Lumin
2014-07-09, 11:19 PM
Haftan knocks on the door, knowing that Grundyman would be awake as he always was.

esorscher
2014-07-10, 08:17 AM
Grundyman removes the wood barricading the door and opens it for Haftan. Every movement the metal man makes keeps it between Haftan and the forge, blocking Haftan's line of sight. Once Haftan is inside, Grundyman locks the door again and replaces the wood board. "Help me, please," it says to Haftan, and the two of them quickly put the barricade back up. Then, it leads Haftan upstairs to his bed. "It is good you have returned. I have questions for you," Grundyman says as they walk. "Was your evening pleasant? I did not see you with the other workers, where did you go? Also, who is your father?" If its conversation style seems disjointed, it is by design--not Grundyman's, but the design of its creator. Grundyman speaks only as much as is necessary.

Vixsor Lumin
2014-07-10, 04:14 PM
Aarco cursed himself silently, wondering what he had done to arouse suspicion. He decided to answer the most bizarre, and dangerous, question first. "Well my Father is my Mother's husband of course." he says with a confused smile. "My night was nice enough, I went to go spend some time with that pretty girl who came into the shop today with her father. She seemed nice enough, and I had asked her if I could buy her a drink tonight." He carefully set his pack down next to his bed, keeping an eye on Grundyman. "Why are you asking about my Father?"

esorscher
2014-07-10, 08:10 PM
"I am curious." Grundyman answers. "I have never heard Master Grundy talk about you before I met you, though he says you are a Grundy now through his sister. I wish to know more about Grundy, so I can protect Grundy. I wonder why I have never met you before, when I have met other Grundy's." It processes what Haftan Grundy has said, trying to remember if it'd witnessed any such interactions or persons in the forge that day. (Sense Motive: [roll0])

Vixsor Lumin
2014-07-10, 09:24 PM
"Well to be fair he hadn't known of me before we met. It's hard to get word back and forth from here to the farm, unless we specifically task a messenger." Haftan said. The remoteness of Grundy's sister was something he had made sure of before assuming the identity of his nephew. "If you have any questions about Master Grundy, I will do my best to answer them. However, you should know that I've only met him when I moved here. I knew who he was and had heard his name before, but I never knew him as a person." Haftan says, as he sits on the bed.

Opposed bluff roll using a point. this is for the previous post. [roll0]
this post, is all technically true ( the safest kind of lie :smalltongue:) so i dont think that any more sense motives would do much here.
EDIT: holy crap at that roll :smalleek: makes me wish I hadn't wasted my one use of a point on bluff for the day.

esorscher
2014-07-10, 10:03 PM
Grundyman shrugs. "Do you have a letter from your mother introducing you? How did you find Master Grundy?" Grundyman asks. "What is your purpose here?"

Vixsor Lumin
2014-07-10, 10:21 PM
Grundyman shrugs. "Do you have a letter from your mother introducing you? How did you find Master Grundy?" Grundyman asks. "What is your purpose here?"

"I did, but i gave it to Uncle Grundy. My mother sent me so that I could learn a trade and someday provide for a family of my own." He looks down somewhat sadly. "There also wasn't enough food to go around, and as the oldest still living at home it was me that had to go."

inexorabletruth
2014-07-10, 10:27 PM
Grundy's rhythmic snoring breaks for a few moments. Then you hear the bed creak and the snoring continues. The fires of the forge below crackle peacefully. The night is calm now. You can hear a harlot giggling in the street as she negotiates a price with an old lech, but other than that nothing but the ambient squeak of rats or witless prattle of drunken revelers and vagrants.

esorscher
2014-07-11, 07:40 AM
Grundyman shrugs, certain to inquire about the letter later on. For now, Haftan Grundy has sufficiently proven his Grundy-dom to proceed. "Haftan Grundy, be advised, tonight Master Grundy was attacked in this workshop. Two beggars assaulted him in an attempt to burglarize. I arrived just in time to stop his assailant. I did so with force. The assailant did not survive. The assailant... was killed in the process." Grundyman touches the spot on its hip where it now keeps a sap. "That was my doing, and I do not intend it to happen again. The threat to Master Grundy and to you, by association, has increased. I am Grundyman, it is my duty to protect Grundy."

"Also, during the night the watch beheaded a wild man who was assaulting passers-by. Even then, it continued to assault. Curious."

After it finishes reporting (incompletely) the deeds of the night, it waits for response from Haftan Grundy.

Vixsor Lumin
2014-07-12, 05:10 AM
Haftan swings his gaze back up. "He was attacked? Is Uncle Grundy okay? Are you okay? Do you know who the beggars were? Did they have anything on them that would explain why they were here?" Haftan blurted out in a rush. As quick as he could, Aarco went over all the people he knew that might have made the connection between Haftan and Crulmin.

esorscher
2014-07-12, 08:12 AM
"Yes. Yes. Yes. No. Yes. Master Grundy is sleeping downstairs. One of the beggars escaped. The other, the dead one, wore the mark of the Stiletto Gang on his shoulder. The Stiletto Gang has been trying to acquire the Grundyman for some time now. They likely saw my absence from the forge as an opportunity to attack Master Grundy."

Vixsor Lumin
2014-07-13, 02:22 AM
"If they were trying to steal you, why would they attack the forge because they knew you were not here? I'm not sure that's the reason, although it very well could be." Haftan said sitting there thinking. Gorram Stiletto. I need to find a way to keep them away from here, Aarco chided himself. "I'm glad to see that you are both alright, and I'm sorry that I wasn't here."

esorscher
2014-07-13, 08:18 AM
Grundyman keeps what it knows about its own creation to itself. "Now that you are here," Grundyman continues, "Can you help me with what is to come? Master Grundy says Stiletto will not take kindly to the death of one of their own. There is a witness who escaped. I do not know how to apologize to them. I do not know if an apology will have an effect. I know it is not safe for me to be apart from Master Grundy, if Master Grundy is unprotected." It pauses, and behind its metal eyes you can see genuine concern. "I know there is a storm coming, and I do not know what to do."

Vixsor Lumin
2014-07-13, 01:54 PM
Haftan looks up at Grundyman and says, "Of course. I would never want anything to happen to either of you." he smiles at the hulking figure. If Stiletto ruin what I have going here, there will be hell to pay. He momentarily considered setting up and ambush us ing the informatino he had gotten from Stanley. Pushing the thought away, he continues speaking to Grundyman. "I believe we are safe for the night. If you did kill one of them, then they wouldn't be eager to rush headlong back into your reach. It will take them time to come up with a new plan."

esorscher
2014-07-13, 02:07 PM
Grundyman nods. "Agreed. You rest, I will mind the shop."

Vixsor Lumin
2014-07-13, 08:05 PM
"Thank you." Haftan says with a nod.

esorscher
2014-07-13, 08:08 PM
Grundyman goes back downstairs and continues to watch outside. When Master Grundy wakes up in the morning, Grundyman will ask him about the note from Haftan proving his legitimacy.

Vixsor Lumin
2014-07-13, 09:35 PM
Once he is alone, Haftan reaches under his bed and pulls out his balled up travelers cloak. Diggin through the folds, he pulls out his military grade kukri from his time as a mercenary. Then he pulls his pack to himself amd busy's himself securing his spoils.

inexorabletruth
2015-09-28, 08:42 PM
After examining your injuries, he determines that the damage left is largely cosmetic, he settles down a bit. He nods to himself then replies, "We can go to my chambers. I believe I have some spare parts there for you that we can swap out while you tell me everything."

He pats you on the shoulder and gestures toward the stairs, grabbing some tools before heading up with you.

esorscher
2015-09-29, 08:18 AM
Once they are alone, Solomon says, "Something very strange happened with Haftan when he fell unconscious--he changed, his body became all gray and featureless."

inexorabletruth
2015-09-29, 09:06 AM
Unprepared for this news, Master Grundy sets down his tools and stops to consider what you said. "Gray an' featureless? What do you mean?" His brow furrows deeply, like he is trying to imagine what you are describing.

esorscher
2015-09-29, 08:06 PM
Solomon does its best to describe what happened. "It was like, one moment he was Haftan, looked like Haftan, then once he fell unconscious, he didn't. He looked like a gray person, but with weird ripples in his skin, and his face could have been drawn on a piece of parchment, it was, there was nothing distinguishable about it. His nose was just a nose, his eyes were just eyes, his mouth was just a mouth. Not like yours, or even mine, or even Haftan's before the change happened."

inexorabletruth
2015-10-02, 09:09 AM
Mr Grundy takes several seconds to think on this. "I think I'll talk to Matron Engong about this. I wonder if it has something to do with that dagger he gave her." He scratches his beard.

"Could ya' draw what he looked like for me if I gave you some chalk and paper?" He rummages up some supplies and puts them down in front of you. "Gimme' as much detail as ya can."

Please send me an updated link to your character sheet. The one on post 1 is a bad link. Also, please roll an INT or DEX check to draw Haftan, whichever stat is higher.

esorscher
2015-10-02, 09:56 PM
Solomon does its best to draw a picture of Haftan.

Int and Dex are equal: [roll0]

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=155508

inexorabletruth
2015-10-03, 11:07 AM
Mr. Grundy looks at the drawing with a confused expression on his face. After confirming with you that this is accurate, he rolls up the paper and puts it in a pouch.

"I'll organize the workers and then head out. Please let me know the second Haftan gets here. I'll be at the Temple of the Sun and Moon and will send word if I go from there."

esorscher
2015-10-03, 01:43 PM
"Yes, Master Grundy." Solomon nods, then heads to the Forge to oversee the workers and contribute his own efforts to filling the militia order.

inexorabletruth
2015-10-06, 09:42 AM
Master Grundy sets a few people up in roles of assistant leaders to help you carry out your orders, then makes a few corrections to some of the work and heads off.

You can now post in the main thread.

inexorabletruth
2017-07-16, 10:07 PM
Solomon and Natalie are back at Grundy's Forge...

You arrive to discover that the place is virtually throbbing with activity. The forge has nearly doubled in size with temporary, make-shift stands and huts for apprentices to craft weapons and armor and other bizarre parts of metal and machinery. Sentries stand guard at key locations with sheathed swords and holstered crossbows. Frantic apprentices scurry from station to station with materials at different stages of readiness.

You recognize Master Grundy's voice bellowing in the back like a signal horn giving instruction and praise as needed.

You squeeze your way through the buzzing hive of activity to find a man who almost seems unrecognizable to you. It's Grundy... of that there can be no doubt. But his gray mane of hair is pulled back in a tight braid. His beard is clean, brushed and trimmed, and his face, though still burnt and ruddied from years over the flame, is washed free of the grey and black ash to reveal a comparatively youthful pinkishness. And his filthy old blacksmiths clothes are gone. Instead of a soot-blackened and stained pullover sackcloth tunic, he is wearing a button down shirt of soft, yet practical linens. Instead of his oily old leather pants, he is wearing well-fitted drawstring trousers with no patches, but plenty of pockets and tool loops. His new leather shoes are clean and polished as if they rarely ever see real work. And everything is cinched in nicely with a large black belt with a shiny steel buckle. His formerly slumped back is tall and straight now, showcasing his broad shoulders and bull chest. If not for his still-uneducated manner of speech, he would almost seem dapper.

An assistant runs up and hands him a note. He nods and reads it, then steps further away from you to call out more orders to a team of smiths, who nod vigorously, then drop their current projects to begin a new one.

He doesn't seem to have noticed your arrival, because he is still directing the traffic of his employees with wildly waving hands, as if conducting a symphony. Hammers smack down on metal and anvil in response.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-16, 10:44 PM
"Hi Mr. Grundy!" Natalie stands on her toes and waves to him over the crowd. Once she has his attention, she rushes through the crowd to give him a hug.

"Hahaha! Wow! Y'all've been really busy since the mercenary thing, huh? Aria was worried you'd be lost without her!"

esorscher
2017-07-17, 09:30 AM
Overcome with relief but still not free from the burden of guilt for having abandoned his master--yes, things are going well for Grundy, but his fears might just has easily have been confirmed--Solomon resumes his silent position behind Master Grundy's shoulder, awaiting instruction.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-17, 06:42 PM
"Haha! And Solomon missed you, too!"

inexorabletruth
2017-07-18, 09:00 AM
Master Grundy is taken aback with shock at the sight of your arrival. He wraps Solomon up in a giant hairy hug, an unprecedented public display of emotion. "I thought you were dead! I tried to send mercenaries to find you, but no one would take the job. I'm so glad you're alive and..." he steps back to evaluate your chewed up, but essentially repaired mechanics and raises a critical eyebrow. He clears his throat and straightens his shirt. "Your tie rods'r warped, and it appears that your differential in your neck has taken some damage. You havin' any troubles lookin' left?" He holds Solomon's jaw in his hands like a doctor giving a physical. "And yer in terrible need of lubricant and polish." He nods his head as if making an important decision, then claps his hands together to punctuate his follow up announcement. "Stay the night and I'll get ya' fixed up!"

He turns to Natalie and smiles warmly. He appears to want a hug, but respectfully extends a hand to shake as well. "We missed ya' at the forge, girl. Not a one here works half as hard as you did. But it appears ya been up to yer own kind of hard work. I'm glad your back safe..."

esorscher
2017-07-18, 09:08 AM
Solomon's metal jaw cracks open in a wide smile. "I apologize for my absence, Master Grundy. Now that I am here, I am ready to resume my duties." Of course, any repairs the smith wishes to make will be most welcome. He looks around the busy forge. "Much has changed in my absence, Master. Are you sure you can trust these people?"

inexorabletruth
2017-07-19, 09:08 AM
Master Grundy guides Natalie and Solomon to an office, another new addition to the once humble establishment. It's sparsely decorated, due to the hasty assembly, but it fits Master Grundy's personality. Simple and sturdy, yet stylish in a folksy way.

"The city guard's been good to me, Solomon. After we finished the mercenary order in record time, word got to the Royal District about the quality of our craftsmanship. They commissioned the forge to become a supplier fer the war effort. And since it's a government contract, they sent guards ta' oversee production and protect us 'n the merchandise. We been workin' around the clock. We've even received blueprints fer' weapons I never see before in my life."

He pulls out an ornate wooden case and runs his hands along it reverently, then pulls out a key and unlocks it to reveal a strange looking device which resembles a rod with a crossbow handle on it. "They're callin' it a matchlock musket. I made one fer myself, 'n this was the first of it's kind here in Ibra Down. It's kinda like a wand, but no magic. Shoots thunder, fire, an' iron."

He holds it out for you to see the new device. "The thing is damn loud, and kicks up so much smoke ya' can hardly see. We're building a hunnerd of 'em. An engineer from Eberron's gonna teach a select force to use 'em. But there ain't much to it. Powder goes here an' here," he points at a reservoir near the trigger and one at the end of the hollow tube, "then a ball goes in the end. Stuff it down with this," he points to a rod resting below the barrel, "Light yer' wick, set it there," he slides a wick into a receptacle also near the trigger, "then point at whatever you want dead and pull the trigger."

"Not as fast as a wand, 'er even a crossbow, but we been workin' on improvements."

He cleans the gun and sets it down. He looks at it strangely, but his expression is hard to read.

esorscher
2017-07-19, 09:31 AM
Solomon asks the question: "Why?" What purpose does it serve to throw death from afar, when a crossbow already accomplishes the goal, and apparently more efficiently and with easier use.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-19, 07:25 PM
"Whoooa... Cool!" Natalie runs her hand over the fancy invention and lifts it just a few inches off the table to look at it. She doesn't seem too interested in the inefficiency of the whole thing. "So it's like a doom spell, but without magic... Kind of like Aria's not-magic magic!"

She looks up at Mr. Grundy and projects her own worries onto his expression. "...it's dangerous, isn't it?"

inexorabletruth
2017-07-20, 05:44 PM
Grundy nods at Solomon's unspoken assessment, and offers Natalie a stoic expression. "Yes. I've never made anything so dangerous. I've seen it punch holes in armor almost as strong as Solomon's here faster than any arrow can fly. They say Matron Engong is so fast she can catch arrows with her hands as if they were standing still. But this ammo... it's fast, heavy, and accurate up to a hunnerd fifty feet. Even if she had the reflexes to catch it, I'm sure as I am breathin' it'd blast her hand clean off. To be honest, I don't know how I feel about these new weapons. Wizards and clerics train their whole lives to learn how to be responsible with power like this, and even they turn bad from time to time. With this... anybody's got the power of life and death in their hands."

He puts it back in the case and locks it up. "But this is a new kind of war. No wizards... no sorcerers or bards. This used ta' be the kinda' place where everyone just sorta' got along under the protection of the three towers. But now, them towers're a target. They're comin' to tear 'em down. We gotta' stop 'em, an' still have the strength to fight whatever comes out of the Tower of Secrets if the invaders figure out how to open them doors."

He looks the two of you up and down and suddenly remembers something. "I made somethin' for ya!" He says, punctuating the new tone with the snap of a finger. "I think yer gonna like it!"

He reaches inside a tall oak closet and pulls out two items wrapped in blue silk and tied with gray sashes. Both are quite long, but one is significantly thicker than the other. "I'd hoped everyone would come visit... I made one fer each of ya! Since yer all adventurers, I figured you outta..." He chides himself. "I don' wanna' spoil the surprise. Open it!"

When you untie and unwrap the gifts you find a greatclub and quaterstaff. The massive greatclub is banded with a strange kind of steel that shines like silver. It's much heavier than the greatclub Solomon usually carries, but it is exactly the same size. The craftsmanship is exquisite however. The same Grundy family crest on Solomon's chest is branded onto the wood with the words,

Wherever you wander, home will be with you. Whenever you return, the hearth will be lit.

Natalie reveals a thick and solid quarterstaff capped with tips made of the same kind of metal on Solomon's greatclub. Carved on the length of the shaft is the crest of the Goatherd family.

"They call it Solanian Truesteel. Legend has it," Grundy says reverently, "The metal comes from the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia. It never goes dull, and it shined even as I forged it. I got a small supply in from some traders. It was too expensive to mass produce fer the war, but I already had it, so I figured this would be a nice use. It ain't magic, but when you strike true, it hits hard. I took a practice swing with it against a rock. The rock cracked like it was clay. I reinforced the wood with a steel core. It may weigh ya down a bit, but its damn near impossible to sunder now."

You each now possess Masterwork weapons made from Solanian Truesteel.

Mined on the fourth layer of the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia, this fine iron needs no allow and shines with a silvery gleam. When forged into a weapon, it gives the wielder a +1 bonus on the confirmation roll for a critical hit. The market price mondifier for such a weapons +1000 GP. Solanian truesteel has a hardness of 11 and 25 hit points per inch of thickness.* - See AEG, pg. 14 for reference

*Because of the steel core, it has increased hardness. All of my books are in storage right now, so I can't look that up, but if you wish to do the math, you will find that accidentally breaking your weapons are now basically impossible, and I'd like to see a fool try to sunder them. Because it is masterwork, it can also be enchanted.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-21, 01:58 AM
"Wow, Celestia? How did someone get it from there?" Natalie taps her new staff on the ground and flips it around a bit to test it. She knocks over a chair. "Whoop! Sorry!"

She moves in to give Mr. Grundy another little hug. "This is great! Thank you! I just hope everything y'all are doing here helps fight the, uhh..."

Up to this point, Natalie hadn't even thought to question all the war talk, figuring that it was just another obvious thing that everyone else took for granted... but somehow, the obvious answers don't seem to be presenting themselves this time.

"Wait, who are we fighting? ...wait, since when are we at war??"

esorscher
2017-07-21, 08:34 AM
Solomon struggles to process all that Master Grundy is saying, and all that he is implying. It is clear from his tone and inclusion of Solomon in with the rest of the 'adventurers' that the weapon is not meant to improve Solomon's ability to protect Master Grundy, but rather carries some emotional significance to the master smith. "Thank you, Master," Solomon says, holding the magnificent weapon and experiencing its weight. He gives it a practice swing to test the heft before asking, "What would you have me do?" Having labored under the apparent delusion that his absence was affecting Master Grundy's ability to function, and now finding that is not the case, Solomon finds himself unsure of his purpose.

inexorabletruth
2017-07-22, 10:33 AM
"Wow, Celestia? How did someone get it from there?" Natalie taps her new staff on the ground and flips it around a bit to test it. She knocks over a chair. "Whoop! Sorry!"

Grundy grins warmly watching Natalie enjoy her new weapon, but winces slightly when his brand new office chair topples over. While uprighting his furniture he grunts out an update on interplanar trade. "Turns out we knew less'n we thought we new about the planes and travel. Engineers from a land called Eberron showed us that, even without magic, we can travel from one plane to the next. Turns out, there's hunnerds... maybe even thousands of planes, an' you can get to 'em through these gateways called portals. I don't understand it all, but I know we been gettin' new materials an' tech from Ebberon and Abeir-Toril since the D'Canniths arrived and showed us a new way. They helped us with guidelines on what's safe to import an' what isn't. Celestial Plane is supposed to be where gods an' angels come from. Generally, we can trust anything they can bring us. Comes at a high cost, but it's worth it. The metal is hard to work with, but with patience, they make some of the finest weapons I ever made."

She moves in to give Mr. Grundy another little hug. "This is great! Thank you! I just hope everything y'all are doing here helps fight the, uhh..."

Up to this point, Natalie hadn't even thought to question all the war talk, figuring that it was just another obvious thing that everyone else took for granted... but somehow, the obvious answers don't seem to be presenting themselves this time.

"Wait, who are we fighting? ...wait, since when are we at war??"

Grundy's face gets more grim as he tries to sum up a veritable lifetime of problems into a short explanation. "I know it ain't always obvious, but Hepmonaland's always been more tolerant of magic than most places... even after the madness. Technically, the nation itself has no laws against learnin' an' usin' it. Since Ibra Down has the three towers an' knows first hand what happens when wizards go mad, we run things a little stricter'n what they do in the rest of the nation, but we still don't generally hunt 'em down an' kill 'em. Which is why we protect the three towers... especially the Tower of Secrets. If that seal ever cracked open, it could be the end of Ibra Down... maybe even the end of Hepmonaland. But some people don't see it that way. A usurper's taken over the thrown of the Tharquish Empire, after decades of darkness and tyranny under the rule of Emperor Adelbrand, a powerful wizard who was crazy long before the madness started. The new emperor... uhmm..." he snaps his fingers to attempt to remember the name, "I forgot what he's called, but he's a differnt' kind of crazy. He's sworn to wipe out all magic: divine'r otherwise. He's been marching west, gatherin' allies to his cause, and slaughtering those who won't get in line. The Republic of Ishtar and the barbarians south of Rhop were the first to join sides. They crushed Rhop in a month, then just kept headin' west. Breaghun's Wall kept the new empire back fer three long years before it fell. Then they swept over Erypt like a flood. The queen was allowed to live and remain in power as a divine figurehead if they're troops agreed to fight for the cause and they opened up the Khemit Peninsula to sale ships around the Geitsakaru Dominion. A massive fleet is headin' our way, carrying the largest army of warriors any nation has ever mustered to take out the greatest stronghold of magic on Oerth... us. But they got another thing comin' if they think they can step to our lands an' tell us what we can'n cannot do. With the allies comin' our way, and the bulk of some of the strongest and meanest adventurers 'n mercenaries alive, not to mention the new tech comin' in from planes I didn't even know existed, I'm pretty sure the fight's never even gonna' make it past the shorelines."

He pauses a beat-- long enough for Solomon to speak up.

Solomon struggles to process all that Master Grundy is saying, and all that he is implying. It is clear from his tone and inclusion of Solomon in with the rest of the 'adventurers' that the weapon is not meant to improve Solomon's ability to protect Master Grundy, but rather carries some emotional significance to the master smith. "Thank you, Master," Solomon says, holding the magnificent weapon and experiencing its weight. He gives it a practice swing to test the heft before asking, "What would you have me do?" Having labored under the apparent delusion that his absence was affecting Master Grundy's ability to function, and now finding that is not the case, Solomon finds himself unsure of his purpose.

Grundy looks warmly to his creation. "What would I have you do? Solomon, you've surpassed all my hopes and expectations since the day you were born! An' after ya' did that, you kept doin' more. Ya' made friends, saved lives, an' Pelor only knows what else. Solomon, ya' ain't my servant. Ya' ain't my bodyguard. Yer my son. An' I want from you what any parent would want fer their son: the best. But the best ain't here. Not fer you. You can be so much more'n a blacksmith. You get out there, an' you do right by yerself. Figure out what you would have Solomon do. I'll be right here, braggin' about ya' the whole time, an' waiting fer ya to come visit. Just be sure to bring back some good stories."

He wraps Solomon in a hairy hug, patting him on the back, creating that metallic 'gong' sound with each slap. "I'm proud of ya' son. The world's all the better fer you bein' in it."

esorscher
2017-07-22, 10:38 AM
Solomon smiles, and returns the hug--awkwardly, as it is his first. "I will do my best, Mas--Father Grundy," he corrects.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-22, 04:53 PM
"Uwah, that's a lot of the world to take over in four weeks... and I had no idea our pot had so many marbles in it! But at least the other marbles are friendly enough to help."

It's all pretty overwhelming news, but Mr. Grundy has always been good about explaining things in a way that Natalie can parse. She doesn't mention her suspicion that he has his East and West mixed up; she does that, like, all the time.

Watching the Grundies is enough to return her to a cheerful steady state; she always seen their relationship as more familial than anything, and watching Solomon realize that is really endearing. She beams quietly until they disengage hug mode.

"Hahaha! See, Solomon? Since you're family, you can Protect Grundy wherever you go!" She pauses blankly, knowing she's forgetting something. "...oh! Right! Uhh, have you seen Horsie? How is she?"

inexorabletruth
2017-07-22, 08:06 PM
After Mr. Grundy breaks away from his hug with Solomon, he looks to Natalie. "Huh? Oh! Horsie! Yeah, of course! We got a stable hand now. He's been takin' real good care of your friend. Yer family came by a week ago to check on ya. They almost took Horsie back that day, but thought it'd be best to leave her behind fer when ya come back."

esorscher
2017-07-22, 09:31 PM
Solomon looks at Natalie with appreciation, her insight and specific vocabulary useful in rationalizing whatever he might choose to do, and wherever he might choose to go. Of course, this is still his home. "Thank you. Excuse me." he says, and then begins improvising an inventory replacement routine, something he has never been instructed to do. He removes his old greatclub from its place on his back, and stores it in his corner of the workshop, preserved in the expansion by Father Grundy's sentimentality. The Grundyman never had need of a bed, but when he waited, he had a preferred spot, and that is where Solomon stores his personal item now--although he has no need of it, and should dispose of it or place it for sale, he is compelled to keep it, though he is not sure why.

He then returns to Natalie and Father Grundy, and picks up the matchlock musket Father Grundy had made for himself, studying it to determine if he could improve upon its design. (Craft Weaponsmithing [roll0]) "I would be interested in testing this weapon myself, Father Grundy." He looks at the space on his forearm where a crossbow can be affixed. "I wonder if it could be incorporated into my own construction."

inexorabletruth
2017-07-23, 10:40 AM
Master Grundy considers the question. "It's too big to fit on yer forearm, Solomon." As is usual when he starts thinking, he begins fussing with his pipe--tamping down the tobacco and striking a match. "Maybe if we made a shorter barrel! It wouldn't be as accurate, but over short distances it could do some serious damage. Loadin's a two-handed job though. Keepin' the powder 'n wick in place is another problem. Hm..." he grunts. "We're talkin' about inventin' a whole new kinda weapon, son. It's gonna' take some time to work it out, but I got a few ideas." He puffs a few billows of smoke from the side of his mouth as if his own brain were a forge, crafting never-before-seen forms of ballistic tech.

Just then, an apprentice knocks on the door and invites himself in. "S-sir?" he stammers as he looks at the two well armed adventurers filling the office room. "You wanted me to tell you when the captain arrived for product inspection?" He's a young boy with newly developing muscles from the heavy labor commiserate with his chosen profession. He seems bright-eyed, with kinetic exuberance practically bursting from his scalp into a bonfire of tangled and twisted red hair. Judging by his looks, he's not native to this land, and possibly one of the many allies or refugees who have come for the war effort.

Grundy's eyes pop open. "OH! I almost forgot!" He scrambles to get some papers and notes together. "You two, make yerselves at home. Business..." he says with a feigned grimace, followed by a half smirk. "I'll be back soon. Tonight we'll get you a tune up, Solomon! Don't let me forget!" He shouts the last sentence as he hurries out the door, with the boy scurrying to keep up.

esorscher
2017-07-23, 12:03 PM
Solomon hands Aria's platinum over to Natalie. "I will be spending the night here. I will return to the Paragnostic Assembly to rejoin the group at dawn. It appears that no harm was done by our absence, and so please see to it that Aria's share of the reward is returned to her. Now, I am going to follow Father Grundy. I will return when he does. Will you be here?" He will wait a few moments for Natalie's response, expecting that she will return to her family home in order to extend the Assembly's offer of protection to them, but then run out the door after Father Grundy, and quickly catch up to him. Once he does, he explains, "What I would do is accompany you to this business meeting, unless you order otherwise." These new weapons fascinate him, but mostly he is motivated by his desire to ensure the Master Grundy's safety. Father Grundy is still the Master Grundy. While Solomon is reasonably assured of Father Grundy's safety inside his smithy, the world outside offers no such protections.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-23, 01:59 PM
"Staying the night? Are you sure that's okay? Aria said..." Natalie pauses. Just look at the place. Grundy's forge-house is so crowded and well-armed that the mysterious smugglers probably couldn't even get to them. And besides, knowing Solomon, he probably missed his home more than anyone - even herself. "Well, okay, sure! I'll go see Horsie and see y'all when you're done with your meeting, okay?"

inexorabletruth
2017-07-25, 04:27 PM
*** SOLOMON ***

It seems Master Grundy couldn't hear Solomon's offer through the throng of noisy workers, because he keeps charging off to the meeting. When you manage to close the gap, you find him encircled by a group of high ranking soldiers and what appears to be some kind of noble, based on his manner of dress. A couple of guards block your way from getting any closer as they enter a private room. One guard shakes his head, "no" as if to answer an unspoken question about whether or not you may pass, and you see that, waiting at attention, Grundy's assistant is standing by quietly. He sees you, and gestures to another clear spot next to him to wait. "You must be Solomon, the youngest son. I've heard a lot about you. Master Grundy says you're a great warrior and used to work the forge better than any he'd ever seen," he says with a polite bow.

*** NATALIE ***

Natalie squeezes her way through the crowd to get to the stables. In an odd juxtaposition of events, the stables are resoundingly still. The stableboy is having an early midday nap in a shady corner of the stables. Over a dozen horses have filled the modified stables, and the new construction to extend the size of the once humble hideaway for horses seems impressively immaculate for a hasty design. One of the horses blows calmly when you enter the stable, but most of the guests seem content to munch on their feed.

You make your way to Horsie, who acts a little skittish when you arrive but quickly remembers your smell and touch. She allows you to inspect her mane, teeth, and hooves, which seem to be in perfect order. Upon inspecting your saddle and tack, you discover a note from your mother.

Dear Natalie,

I hope everything is going well. We haven't heard from you in a while, and you should really check in from time to time. Naoki wanted to tell you he had a wonderful time with the druids, and was invited to join as an acolyte of the faith. Your father didn't want him to go, but the boy's got a knack. He picked up herbalism faster than I did when I was his age. And Liam finally broke down and made him his first little shillelagh. He looks so cute, swinging his little stick! Your father says he's picking up hunting and survival training very well, and in a few years, may even be able to go on hunting trips this fall.

We didn't win the prize at the fair, but we gave a good showing, and thanks to your help recovering all these goats, it's going to be a good winter for us. Orders for my herbs and for our goat milk have been hard to keep up with, and the merchant traders have been coming by almost daily for new supplies.

I made you a package of some of the hot sellers to take with you. I don't know what's spiking demand so much, but I expect the merchants are gouging prices in the cities. Don't let them fool you. You know what they're worth, and where to get them if you're in town.

We love you. Don't make me worry too long. At least send a letter when you get this, or something.

Love,
Mom

Inside a leather pouch, carefully wrapped and padded you find the following:

First Aid vs Injury:

Willow Bark (for aches and pains, grants +2 to Heal Checks vs. Disease)
Aloe Gel (anti-bacterial gel, grants +2 to Heal Checks to treat wounds)
Tobacco (topical treatment for stings and minor abrasions, grants +1 to Heal Checks to treat wounds, or +1 to First Aid Checks

General Medicine: (Must be taken at the start of your day to take full effect)

Raspberry Leaves x4 (for women's health. Grants +1 morale bonus for one day per dosage: for women only)
Echinacea x4 (boosts immune system. Grants +1 morale bonus in Saves vs. Disease for one day per dosage.)
Ginger x4 (boosts immune system and energy. Grants +1 morale bonus in Reflex Saves and Initiative checks for one day.)
Horseradish x4 (for sinus and allergies) Grants +1 morale bonus on spot, search, and listen checks for one day per dosage.)

esorscher
2017-07-25, 11:06 PM
Solomon returns the bow, exactly mimicking the man's actions, to the degree of incline. "What is your name? What is going on, here?" Solomon asks.

inexorabletruth
2017-07-26, 09:14 AM
*** SOLOMON ***

"Haven't earned a name yet." He whispers to you. "But ya' can call me Buachaill, fer now."

He offers you an apple, but then surmises you probably don't eat. The he shrugs and takes a bight of one himself. Still with a full mouth, he points at the sealed door. "In 'ere's Maffter O'Toole an' Capt'n Cronus. Vey don' cowme offin', but when they do, 's always a secret meetin'." He swallows his morsel and wipes his face. "Don't know much abou' them. But I hear they're like... way high up. Super important people. Yer fadder must be a great man. Me da' sent me to the right place." He punctuates his conclusion with an appraising nod.

His accent vaguely reminds you of Siegfried's, but is subtly different, as if perhaps he comes from a neighboring region.

esorscher
2017-07-26, 09:19 AM
"Where are you from?" Solomon asks Buachaill. "What do you mean, you haven't earned a name?"

inexorabletruth
2017-07-26, 12:09 PM
*** SOLOMON ***

Buachaill looks at you like you just asked why the sun shines. "I haven't earned it." He states, matter-of-factly. "Didn' you earn yar' name, when ya became an official apprentice?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-07-26, 06:15 PM
Natalie continues to pet Horsie as she reads the letter aloud. She'd laugh at how much her mother worries if it didn't turn out to be so justified.

"Aww... I love you too, mom." Natalie talks to the letter as though it could hear her. Part of her wants to hug it, but she settles for folding it gently before stuffing it in her pocket. "Wow... y'all hear that, Horsie? I guess Naoki is doing fine after all. That's great!"

In this quiet place, Natalie's high-amplitude voice is liable to wake the stable hand.

"I guess we should probably write back, huh? But, if the bad guys are following us, they might see it and go find them... but if Mom and Dad get too worried, they might come looking for me and, uhh..." Her imagination gets stuck. She sighs. "Man, what the heck, Horsie? Since when am I the kind of person who over-thinks things?"

After combining her mom's medicine package with her dad's first aid kit, she roots through the saddlebags for the rest of her stuff and winds up combining all of her coin pouches together. She has a ton of money now. "Wow, where did I even get all of this?" She jams the one newly-fattened pouch into her left pocket and keeps Aria's in the right one with Mom's letter. All of the medicine just barely fits in the shoulder-bag medicine kit, as does the shiny compass.

"Okay! So I'll leave a note with Mr. Grundy to let Mom know we're okay, and then you can come to Aria's library with me, okay?" She leaves Horsie with one more pet before turning to head back to the office and find a pen and parchment.

esorscher
2017-07-26, 07:16 PM
"I did nothing to earn my name, it was given to me by Master Grundy. I had already worked for him for many years before that day." Solomon responds. "Is it custom where you are from, not to be named by your parents? What are you called in childhood? How do your peers distinguish you when calling out at a group?"

inexorabletruth
2017-07-26, 10:25 PM
*** NATALIE ***
The stable boy stirs from the noise of Natalie's one sided conversation. He rolls over and stumbles out the door, clearly unhappy about being disturbed. You make it back to Grundy's office with little trouble, and help yourself to some pen and parchment. After scribbling out your note, you are able to gather up Horsie and head back to the Tower of Knowledge.

You can check in with the OOC, or keep posting here for now if you like. The other threads are wrapping up..

*** SOLOMON ***
The boy starts to answer but then Master Grundy comes back out nodding his head and shaking hands with whom you understand to be Captain Cronus. He's surprisingly young for a captain, with an innocent face, lacking the sternness and wariness of a seasoned warrior. He doesn't resemble at all the kind of man who could lead soldiers into battle, though he does seem like he would make a fine warrior. His stature is stall, slender, and strong, with a triangular torso that cuts a wedge into narrow hips. Even though he isn't in armor at the moment, he still wears battle ready clothes, thick leathers with the symbol of Pelor emblazoned... everywhere. A glorious mace hangs from his belt, and his practiced hand rarely strays far from it. Mister O'Toole exits right after the good captain, and the hand shakes seem more strained and less fervent. Master Grundy wishes them fortune and health equally however, and sees them to their entourage. Afterwards, he makes an about face to inspect his crew and notices you standing there.

"Solomon!" He says a bit surprised. "Yes, of course, I agreed to give you a tune up! Let's get to it!" He guides you upstairs to his old quarters, now a private workshop. It's smaller, and not as fancy as his new office, but it still shows signs of regular use and attention. He holds you by the jaw and swivels your head to the left, then to the right, staring at you as a doctor would during a physical. "Uh-huh," he grunts confidently. "Just as I thought. Yer differential. What have you been getting yerself into, son? You could go head to head with a bull 'n not crack the diff!"

He shuffles on over to some spare parts he always kept for you, just in case, and begins assembling a new differential and lubricating it with fresh oil.

esorscher
2017-07-27, 08:13 AM
"When we went underground, I ended up fighting a powerful undead. That must be what caused it," Solomon says, thinking about all the other foes he'd faced and swiftly vanquished. "I don't really know what it was, but it was attacking the others, so I know it was evil."

inexorabletruth
2017-07-28, 07:13 AM
Your conversation carries on for hours into the day as Solomon tinkers away at the various signs of wear and tear on your body. After making sure you're properly calibrated and polished, he runs you through a few tests. If anything, you seem to be running better than ever.

You gain a +2 Morale bonus to Initiative and Attack rolls, as well as Reflex Saves until you receive any amount of damage.

The rest of the day, he seems to dedicate almost entirely to you. You examine the gun together, and draw up blueprints on how to shorten the barrel and stabilize the catalyst... essentially inventing a flintlock pistol. You tell stories of your adventures, and Grundy tells the tale of how he went from being a bedraggled shop in the poor district to become one of the most prolific forges in town. He tells you how they wanted to move him to the Royal District and into a brand new forge, but he refused to budge, because this was home, and this was where you and Natalie knew to find him. He tells you about the increased security was due to the sensitive and expensive nature of the war effort, and how all this money flowing into the Poor District has been helping a lot of people. Work is coming in, jobs are opening up, and purses are getting filled, then quickly lightened by Stiletto.

Grundy has to break away a few times to make decisions about the direction of mass production, and to meet with Tinker's Guild representatives to discuss parts for siege defense weapons, air ship parts, and a variety of other highly sensitive subjects he can't even discuss with you. But for the most part, the day is just about the two of you.

Most of the group has returned to the main thread, so at some point, this thread will fast forward or come to a close. Just a fair warning.

esorscher
2017-07-28, 07:30 AM
Solomon feels a sense of enjoyment, and nostalgia, as they spend the day tinkering together. It is almost like old times, but for the constant movement and bustle around them, and the cloud of uncertainty that hangs over the proceedings, unsure of what tomorrow will bring. War, Solomon supposes, has that effect, but it could also be the unfinished business from the Paragnostic Assembly. As their time together draws to a close, Solomon gives his father a hug goodbye, saying, "If we go below ground again, we could be subject to the same time distorting effect as before. I do not know when I will see you. Do not die." Then he returns to the group.

Ready to return to the main thread. One day Solomon will want to kill/ imprison Stiletto, FYI.