PDA

View Full Version : *Lore* 4e Players Handbook vs Forgotten Realms

rjthom5
2014-06-22, 09:08 PM
So I recently got my hands on the 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, and was struck by how wildly different some of the plot elements were from the original Players Handbook (fox example: deities). Should they be treated as alternate realities, or does the Forgotten Realms material overwrite the original?

GPuzzle
2014-06-22, 09:19 PM
The setting for 4e is called "Points of Light", it's pretty vague but awesome.

Forgotten Realms is a completely different setting.

huttj509
2014-06-23, 05:27 AM
So I recently got my hands on the 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, and was struck by how wildly different some of the plot elements were from the original Players Handbook (fox example: deities). Should they be treated as alternate realities, or does the Forgotten Realms material overwrite the original?

They are different campaign settings. Different realities (or at minimum, different planets/planes of existence, depending on how you want to set up the cosmology of campaign settings).

BWR
2014-06-23, 05:54 AM
cf. Mystara and Alphatia sinking.
And the Shadow Elves conquering Alfehim, leaving it a burned-out husk. :smallfurious:

rjthom5
2014-06-23, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies. I guess I should have known that, but was super tired when I posted:smallwink:

holywhippet
2014-06-23, 05:44 PM
cf. Forgotten Realms and the "time of troubles" (2e -3e change)

I believe that is another example of the Forgotten Realms and the rest of the D&D universe having different reasons for things changing. From what I've heard it was the module Die Vecna Die which explains the shift from 2nd edition to 3rd edition as Vecna was trying to alter reality to suit his own preferences.