PDA

View Full Version : im having trouble creating an army.

blelliot
2014-06-22, 10:42 PM
The army in question is for a PF game. They are the minions of a great wyrm green dragon intent on taking over the kingdom I've created. So far, it consists of bugbears, cloud giants, goblins, hill giants, hobgoblins, ogres, orcs, and a cult of green dragon blooded sorcerers. The question I have is, how many of each creature should I allot for? If you were to use this list of creatures, how many of each would you use? The idea is to use the goblins as foot soldiers, the orcs as shocktroopers, the bugbears as field commanders, the hobgoblins as field generals, the giants and ogres as siege engines, and the sorcerers as artillery. I'm planning on running this game from 1-20. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Pinkie Pyro
2014-06-23, 03:43 AM
I tend to have PCs VS armies quite alot, so my suggestion:
one for each thing you need done. super simple. need an enemy scouting party? level 1 scout/level 1 rouge. done.

don't forget war hulk + hulking hurler for your "siege engines"

Also something you need to ask yourself: how many enemies will the PCs face off at once?

Yahzi
2014-06-23, 07:10 AM
The army in question
The size of an army is determined by logistics. So without knowing the resources of your dragon, it is simply impossible to answer your question with any sense of realism or internal cohesion.

If you want a simpler answer, then the size of the army is as big as it needs to be. When the players are low level, they fight goblins and run away when they see giants. When they are mid-level, they are tasked with strike missions to take out the giants to stop sieges while bypassing the goblins which would only slow them down. At high levels they attack the sorcerers and ultimately the dragon himself. If the players do well in their battles, then the enemy are on the back foot, only a few villages get burned, etc. If they screw up and retreat too much, then talk about all the refugees crowding the castle and the number of villages put to the torch.

Some things I would mention, though. A single plot line seems unlikely to stretch for 20 levels. Fighting the same foes for that long will probably become boring. Also, D&D is not really good with the running away thing. Losing a battle typically means at least one character permanently dead and often means a TPK. The whole value of dungeons is that they are static battles that the players can easily retreat from, which increases survivability.