PDA

View Full Version : pathfinder spells vs 3.5 spells.

blelliot
2014-06-23, 06:38 AM
Are there any spells that pathfinder changed that anyone uses the 3.5 version instead? To me, some of the spells didn't need a change. Divine Power is an example that I would much rather use the 3.5 version. Any input?

TurtlesAWD
2014-06-23, 07:42 AM
Orisons like Cure Minor Wounds that were changed/removed were probably necessary... otherwise anyone with infinite orisons per day would be able to heal far too much.

Things like all the polymorph stuff they changed I'm also very much in favor of, I'm unfamiliar with the full list of changes though.

ericgrau
2014-06-23, 10:42 AM
I think glitterdust needed a better rules understanding of blindness does not equal helpless rather than a nerf. Even then it has a small area and many immune foes; it's more popular than good. Letting the foe save again every round makes it pretty weak.

I think ray of enfeeblement OTOH needed a small nerf, but making it fort half is going too far. I know first hand from (ab)using it. It went from one of my top choices to something I wouldn't usually take. Keeping it a reliable no save but cutting a couple points off of the penalty would have been more reasonable.

I think with polymorph they dealt with the power well enough, but completely obliterated any coolness the spell once had. I think it would have been better to simply limit it to core forms so the power stays capped. Also better clarification on its rules to avoid powerful slip ups. And to provide full premade polymorph stat templates for all of the core forms to avoid bogging down the game with number crunching & rules questions. Limiting it to a handful of mechanical options like PF did is way too restrictive and they may as well have banned the spell and then have made a couple minor buffs. Changing forms is big in cool fantasy, and it's more than just fluff. It's to do something neat.