PDA

View Full Version : Suggest some house rules for a new campaign

Coidzor
2014-06-23, 07:12 AM
So I'm gearing up for finally running a campaign in my still-yet-to-be-rebooted-and-completed setting, and, wouldn't you know it, my house rules specifically for that purpose have bit the dust between moving both in meat space and across computers.

Currently I'm working on trying to recollect them while also getting together enough of what I want to get across fluff-wise in the first adventure. The thought occurred to me, though, that getting a look at some sets of house rules may help jog my memory. As well as potentially introducing me to a nifty houserule I hadn't met before.

So, please, hit me with your best shot. Or a bunch of them, even, please.

For reference, here's the baseline of what I've got so far.

LA Buyoff is in play. 3.P, all 3.5 sources, Pathfinder by request, homebrew by request.

Ability Score rules:

Every 4 HD one ability score increases by 1. Every 5 HD all ability scores increase by 1.

Feat rules:

All characters gain 2 feats at 1st level instead of 1.

Feats are gained at every odd level after 1st level, and at levels 6, 12, 18, and 20.

Pathfinder feats upon approval.

Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, and Two-Weapon Defense are rolled into one feat.

Combat Expertise is no longer a prerequisite for Improved Trip/Disarm & similar feats.

Precise Shot has Point Blank Shot rolled into it and counts as Point Blank Shot for the purpose of prerequisites.

Skill rules:

Adjusted skill points per level*
2+int > 4+int
4+int > 5+int
6+int > 7+int
8+int > 9+int
*Fighter gets 5+int skillpoints per level, Thug Fighter gets 6+int

At first level 2 Craft, Profession, Perform, or Knowledge Skills receive half-ranks without spending points.

Cross-class skills cost 1 skill point per rank, skill rank cap on cross-class skills is still half-ranks.

Urban Tracking is automatically rolled into Gather Information, Track is automatically rolled into Survival, Trapfinding is automatically rolled into Search.

Class rules:

No Multticlass XP penalty.

Monks, Paladins, and similar classes may multiclass freely.

John Longarrow
2014-06-23, 08:31 AM
Coidzor
Something like the following?

Weapon Focus grants +1 per 4 points of BAB (round up), max +5 at BAB +17
Weapon Specialization grants +2 damage per 4 points of BAB (round down), max +10 at BAB +20

_felagund
2014-06-23, 08:47 AM
Coidzor

Weapon Specialization grants +2 damage per 4 points of BAB (round down), max +10 at BAB +20

as a dm i approve this rule, nice buff to tier 3 & 4 classes.

some of my house rules are:
death treshold= -10 - (Con Modifier)
identify magical items (+1, +2, +3) Knowledge Arcana DC25, DC30, DC35
and i just ignore massive damage treshold and multi class penalties

Shining Wrath
2014-06-23, 09:03 AM
The key ability for Spellcraft is whatever ability determines your ability to cast spells or use invocations. If you can't learn / cast a spell until your [INT/WIS/CHA/CON] hits 10+level, then you use [INT/WIS/CHA/CON] for Spellcraft. This means Favored Souls use Wisdom, not Charisma, and so on. If the way you understand magic is via an ability, then the way you understand other people's magic is through that same ability.

As in 4th edition, a shield helps your Reflex save. If you're trying to avoid having something hit you, putting something else in the way helps. The DM can rule obvious exceptions, such as using a metal shield against an electrical attack.

You can raise your Gather Information score with a little (literally) money. Nothing gets a bartender talking like a few silver as a tip.

No multiclassing penalty.

EDIT

If you really want to help the low-tier classes (at least at lower levels), double the AC benefit for armor; that is, full plate gives you AC 28.

Trasilor
2014-06-23, 10:03 AM
Suggest:
Removing spells which completely circumvent encounters: Knock, comprehend languages, wind wall, etc. Or adjust them to +20/10 to -20/10 to skills/attacks etc as the case may be. I.e. Wind Wall imposes a -20 to ranged attack not simply negates. Knock gives your character a +10 to open door or suppresses arcane lock etc.

Remove Natural Spell feat - this feat is just not right.

Some more thoughts on homebrew rules:

Your homebrew rules should be designed to help implement the type of game you want to play.

As such, you rules are basically saying you want:

Characters who do more than just combat - extra skill points = more options out of combat.
Characters who are versatile and powerful - extra feats means extra options.
Multitude of cultures or theme-less world - all books = lots of race/class combinations.

While this is not bad - it just tells me the type of game you are looking to play - otherwise why do the homebrew rules at all?

With that in mind, none of these rules reins in your T1 classes - which is fine but could be a problem with party dynamics later depending your your gaming group.

I only bring this up because without knowing what type of game you want to play, suggesting homebrew rules are difficult.

JeminiZero
2014-06-23, 10:07 AM
I like how Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills) and M&M3e (http://www.d20herosrd.com/4-skills) collapses skills together (e.g. Stealth instead of Hide + Move Silently, Perception instead of Spot + Listen). For the skill-focused classes, it means they need to spend less skill points in order to do their job well. You might want to consider this in place of boosting skill points all around (or change the skill bonus to a flat +1, so those which normally get 2 skill points, now get 3 instead of 4).

Asrrin
2014-06-23, 10:10 AM
ignore massive damage rules and mutliclass rules are two almost defacto rules that get houseruled in. I'm also personally a fan of waiving alignment restrictions on classes, treating mindless undead as neutral, and slapping on some fixes to fighter and monk if people don't want to use ToB. I'll sometimes due a triple nat 20 auto kill rule as well, because Rule of Cool.

Also, I'm personally fairly lenient about cheese, so one houserule I typically has is that most anything RAW goes, but if you do anything that potentially leads to infinite loops, Pun Pun retroactively erases your character from the timeline.

ericgrau
2014-06-23, 10:16 AM
Rather than collapsing some core feat chains, I'd give a 2 for 1 deal on all core feats in case there are some neat ones you missed. I mean, what if someone wants to go into mounted combat or grappling? Even power attack is pretty mediocre without shocktrooper. Heck I might suggest making a rare handful of power gamer feats cost double; remembering only to look at the feat itself when deciding. If there's a problem with something else then deal with it independently rather than falling into the horrible trap of feat tax. Likewise you might want to give 2 for 1 on some non-core feats, on a case by case basis. As in "Hey DM, this feat seems really cool but too weak to use. Can I have a 2 for 1 deal on it?" And you agree or disagree. On skill feats I'd give an extra +2 on top of this (up to +4/+4 or +5), and even then I'd suggest that players not take them. But if they have a special idea in mind for a skill then they might like it.

Boosting everyone's skills is only a stealth nerf to the already hurting rogue and all the other skillful classes since you get less need for them. Even if the rogue gets more too, it matters less for him. Instead I'd keep skill DCs low and be open to allowing untrained checks. Allow taking a 10 nearly always outside of combat. And never ever ever do anything like fumbling. That way the rogue can reliably pass all his checks without risking rapid doom on his near-unbuffed-wizard defenses. Having him auto pass most checks is a good thing not a bad thing. And meanwhile everyone else has at least a shot at making the low DC even if they're poor in skill ranks. Technically all those extra feats are a stealth fighter nerf too, but feats are loads of fun and people don't take much fighter in higher optimization anyway. You seem to be going for something high op or semi-high op.

Coidzor
2014-06-23, 03:44 PM
Thank you all for posting, I'm about to head out of town for a few days, so I'll reply to the rest of what needs replying muc later, sorry.

as a dm i approve this rule, nice buff to tier 3 & 4 classes.

some of my house rules are:
death treshold= -10 - (Con Modifier)
identify magical items (+1, +2, +3) Knowledge Arcana DC25, DC30, DC35
and i just ignore massive damage treshold and multi class penalties

Ah, yeah, I had forgotten to re-implement the death threshold change (I can't remember if it was -Constitution Score or what now though. XD) and we did something similar to that for IDing potions, so I can definitely see extending it, so thank you.

I've ignored massive damage and multiclass penalties for so long that I forget they're rules sometimes. XD

Coidzor

Yeah, a bit, some of it was also patches such as a variant drowning rule, due to the nautical travel involved, though that's more homebrew I suppose...

Actually, now that you've posted this example, I think it actually worked to jog my memory. I'm pretty sure that I was cribbing... Fax Celestis's system or something based off of the one Frank and K semi-popularized in the homebrew world for martial type feats that auto-progressed with BAB. So, thank you for reminding me to doublecheck Fax's wiki again. :smallbiggrin:

Jeff the Green
2014-06-23, 04:03 PM
Have a Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WS-45uC4IYfGo01FJHq2V1XWyAfF7sBUQ3H7OCi4Oh8/pub).

The ones I think are best are the feats (basically breaking some feat chains and rolling others into one), classes (simple fixes on the order of "monks have full BAB and flurry on a standard"), and using my resurrection incantations (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?254498-3-5-PEACH-Dungeoneer-s-Book-of-Incantations).

Oddman80
2014-06-23, 06:37 PM
Have a Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WS-45uC4IYfGo01FJHq2V1XWyAfF7sBUQ3H7OCi4Oh8/pub).

The ones I think are best are the feats (basically breaking some feat chains and rolling others into one), classes (simple fixes on the order of "monks have full BAB and flurry on a standard"), and using my resurrection incantations (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?254498-3-5-PEACH-Dungeoneer-s-Book-of-Incantations).

Ummm.... Thank you... Like, times 1,000.
This is a terrific collection. It really just cuts out all the things that bug me in d&d, and allows everyone to focus on enjoying themselves and busting heads. Ummm.... Thank you... Like, times 1,000.
This is a terrific collection. It really just cuts out all the things that bug me in d&d, and allows everyone to focus on enjoying themselves and busting heads.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-23, 06:45 PM
Here's one of my favorites: "Linked Skills." Basically, whenever you put ranks into one skill, you get free ranks in one or two companion skills. It's sort of like merging them, but without having to deal with the rest of the system still assuming that they're separate. I Link:

Autohypnosis and Concentrate
Balance and Tumble
Bluff and Disguise
Climb, Jump, and Swim
Disable Device and Open Lock
Handle Animal and Ride
Hide and Move Silently
Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft
Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Geography), and Survival.
Listen, Search, and Spot

You might also hand out skill tricks for free whenever you meet the prerequisite. (And grant Darkstalker as a bonus feat when you hit, oh, 9 ranks of Hide and Move Silently)

I also like removing the AoO from combat maneuvers, even if you don't have the feat. You still need to invest to make them work well, but the option is at least plausible without taking a bunch of feats. (The various Improved ____ feats should grant a scaling bonus if you do this)

Pex
2014-06-23, 08:04 PM
If your game emphasizes limited resource use and acquisition, this house rule might not be for you. My group has a house that all magical healing outside of combat is maximized. Potion of Cure Light Wounds heals 9 hit points. 5th level cleric casts Cure Moderate Wounds heals 21 hit points. Healing resources are still used up but at a lower pace. It helps the warriors most since they have a lot of hit points they need to recover. It helps the party to continue adventuring without needing to rest.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-23, 08:15 PM
Ummm.... Thank you... Like, times 1,000.
This is a terrific collection. It really just cuts out all the things that bug me in d&d, and allows everyone to focus on enjoying themselves and busting heads. Ummm.... Thank you... Like, times 1,000.
This is a terrific collection. It really just cuts out all the things that bug me in d&d, and allows everyone to focus on enjoying themselves and busting heads.

This is like in Chinese where reduplication is for emphasis, right? :smalltongue: Thanks.

Here's one of my favorites: "Linked Skills." Basically, whenever you put ranks into one skill, you get free ranks in one or two companion skills. It's sort of like merging them, but without having to deal with the rest of the system still assuming that they're separate. I Link:

Autohypnosis and Concentrate
Balance and Tumble
Bluff and Disguise
Climb, Jump, and Swim
Disable Device and Open Lock
Handle Animal and Ride
Hide and Move Silently
Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft
Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Geography), and Survival.
Listen, Search, and Spot

You might also hand out skill tricks for free whenever you meet the prerequisite. (And grant Darkstalker as a bonus feat when you hit, oh, 9 ranks of Hide and Move Silently)

I also like removing the AoO from combat maneuvers, even if you don't have the feat. You still need to invest to make them work well, but the option is at least plausible without taking a bunch of feats. (The various Improved ____ feats should grant a scaling bonus if you do this)

That's a good rule; mine is similar, but with half ranks (i.e. a rank each in Spot and Listen costs 1/2 a skill point) and a more restrictive list. I'd personally drop Knowledge (arcana) and Spellcraft, Autohypnosis and Concentrate, and Bluff and Disguise. The classes that are best at those don't need the help and they're good skills on their own.

jjcrpntr
2014-06-23, 08:16 PM

I really like the gold/magic item houserule there. Unfortunately one of my players is a treasure hunter type who flips out if he doesn't getting hundreds of gold every single encounter from level 1 on ward.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-23, 08:42 PM
I really like the gold/magic item houserule there. Unfortunately one of my players is a treasure hunter type who flips out if he doesn't getting hundreds of gold every single encounter from level 1 on ward.

Unfortunately I realized later that it doesn't actually work if you assume economics are the same as in the real world. Of course, if you don't care or if you want to have "ki points" or "personal improvement points" instead of favors you can run it just fine.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-23, 10:46 PM
That's a good rule; mine is similar, but with half ranks (i.e. a rank each in Spot and Listen costs 1/2 a skill point) and a more restrictive list. I'd personally drop Knowledge (arcana) and Spellcraft, Autohypnosis and Concentrate, and Bluff and Disguise. The classes that are best at those don't need the help and they're good skills on their own.
Eh, it's more about "these should really be the same skill" than balance. (Seriously, explain to me why "knowing about spells" and "knowing about magic" are different skills). Although the only classes that see a noticeable boost in power are the ones that needed it most.

Coidzor
2014-07-04, 09:39 PM
So, I finally got back from the trip I ran out on almost immediately after starting this thread. Thank you for your contributions, everyone. :smallsmile:

I'm still open to further suggestions, but I had an idea that I wanted to run by GITP. It initially started as a way to have characters have a greater safety net when dropped.

PC classed characters have a Level 0 which grants them their Constitution score in HP. This amount of HP only increases with permanent increases to the character’s Constitution score and enhancement bonuses from semi-permanent equipment. PC classed characters die at -10+Constitution HP.

NPC classed characters have a Level 0 which grants them half of their Constitution score in HP, but is otherwise identical to the Level 0 of PC classed characters. NPC classed characters die at -10+Constitution/2 HP.

Creatures with only RHD receive double their Con bonus for their first HD, and die at -10+Con HP.

A non-PC-classed creature that takes a level in a Prestige Class gets a Level 0 as a PC classed character in place of their earlier benefits.

I'm thinking that this would boost Diehard a bit, so I may tweak the feat so that they can go X amount into negatives before they start bleeding out/lose consciousness. I may have -9 to -1 be auto-stable as well.

Ahh, Google Docs. Thank you greatly, and Grod as well. The associated skills that make it cheaper to buy other skills idea is one I don't believe I've run into before, but I like it a lot. :smallbiggrin:

Darrin
2014-07-04, 10:58 PM
This one we keep using even when we switch campaigns:

Ref save = Init modifier.

So yes, you do get better at initiative.

Phelix-Mu
2014-07-04, 11:26 PM
A couple ones that help with building unusual characters:

- The +2/+2 to two skills feats and Skill Focus both make the related skills into class skills for all classes.

- Any race that has a racial bonus to a skill gains that skills as a class skill for all classes. A halfling wizard is as good as at jumping as a halfling thief, provided s/he's invested as many skill points; after all, that's what racial proclivity means.

Others:
- Use optics for Spot distances. Any and all tables and modifiers relate only to Spot checks to see things that are hidden or concealed.

- Toughness is eliminated. All instances of Toughness are replaced by Improved Toughness.

- Dodge and Mobility are rolled into one feat.

- Point-Blank Shot and Precise Shot are rolled into one feat.

- No mundane class has less than 4 + Int Mod. skill points.

- A fix for slings and crossbows (and ranged combat generally) that makes them less than terrible and feat-intensive.

Coidzor
2014-07-05, 12:19 AM
A couple ones that help with building unusual characters:

- The +2/+2 to two skills feats and Skill Focus both make the related skills into class skills for all classes.

- Any race that has a racial bonus to a skill gains that skills as a class skill for all classes. A halfling wizard is as good as at jumping as a halfling thief, provided s/he's invested as many skill points; after all, that's what racial proclivity means.

- Use optics for Spot distances. Any and all tables and modifiers relate only to Spot checks to see things that are hidden or concealed.

I'd forgotten that one, definitely re-adding that. :smallsmile:

And this one is interesting and I think new to me as well. Thank you. :smallbiggrin:

I think I grok you on all of what you said (other than the specifics of fixing ranged combat other than allowing crossbows and slings to have full iteratives and allowing Dex to damage and a power attack equivalent or even just power attack to apply to ranged attacks), but I'm not quite sure what you mean by optics here, unless you're indicating that distance modifiers to spot should just be eyeballed rather than using the chart? :smallconfused:

Phelix-Mu
2014-07-05, 12:44 AM
I think I grok you on all of what you said (other than the specifics of fixing ranged combat other than allowing crossbows and slings to have full iteratives and allowing Dex to damage and a power attack equivalent or even just power attack to apply to ranged attacks), but I'm not quite sure what you mean by optics here, unless you're indicating that distance modifiers to spot should just be eyeballed rather than using the chart? :smallconfused:

Spot as a skill is only used to see things that are actually hidden in some manner (the relevant skills, spells, special architecture perhaps). Visible things are visible at range until they are not. In short, Spot doesn't measure visual acuity. It measures the ability to notice things that are trying to evade notice.

I use the irl science of optics to determine the range at which things are visible. All modifiers are external to the character; the only thing the character is relevant for is if their eyes are open or not. Atmospherics, lighting, size of object visible...all of that is down to my determination as DM that something is or is not visible at range; I don't actually do math, I just stick with common sense (which is loosely based off of our irl experience of optics as a physical laws).

So, unless that orc is hiding, everyone can see him from a pretty long way off (though it might not be possible to tell if he's an orc, or to be certain he's alone), regardless of Spot modifiers.

I conditionally allow scout characters and those doing similar activity to see things a bit further away, but that's all pretty much narrative, fluff rather than crunch. Unless the enemy is within charging distance, then the difference between 6 rounds until contact and 5 rounds until contact is hard to determine by just eyeballing it. Precise distances rarely matter quite so much, and I generally allow casters and archers to have an idea of who is within range/what range penalty if they are shooting considerable distances.

Anyway, my basic assertion is that the way the game handles visibility is largely terrible and terribly executed. So I largely ignore that part and have things that aren't hiding spotted at the speed of narration. Bonuses for hiding creatures aren't assessed based on distance, just cover and visibility. Things are equally noticeable up until the limits of vision, if not equally discernible.

Not perfect, to be sure, but a simplification to be sure. If I ever have a character go heavy into stealth, I will likely have to take a hammer to this house rule (again).

EDIT: Oh, and to pass on one of my favorite quick and dirty fixes for PrCs, Telonius' Arcane Archer Fix using refluffed warlock. Always thought that was a bit of genius.

Nibbens
2014-07-05, 07:52 AM
Here's one that I use for speeding up the time it takes to run encounters. You can literally cut combat time in 1/2 or 1/4 so the players aren't sitting around being bored:

Roll initiative - the player/npc who gets the highest have their team go first. This cuts down on initiative order finagling and trying to remember who went when etc etc. Also, all the PC's decide when they go - so they can be extremely tactical in their playmaking. It keeps everyone involved and stops the fighter from waiting for his turn by looking at reddit on his phone.

As a DM i use average damage instead of rolling. Players love to roll their dice, and I would never take that away from them, but when I've got to roll 7 different attack rolls and determine who hits when and then roll damage... it takes forever. Move all the enemies into positions. roll 1 dice for each, spit damage number at PC's who are hit, and done.

When these two rules are combined, it makes enemies turns and reduces them to less than 30 seconds a pop.

For even more speed:

I sometimes print an excel spreadsheet with the function Randbetween 1,20 to create a random number generator of 1-20's filled in every slot. Mark the d20 rolls as you use them. This shaves even more time off OMGHOWLONGISTHEDMGOINGTOTAKE, and turns it into HITHITMISSMIS****MIS****HIT, 15+15+15 for you +15+15 for you. Your turn.

My players got to spend so little time waiting for me they constantly felt effective and never felt like they were waiting for their turns.

Edit - I just realized that my "hit miss"string was censored... oh well, I'll keep it. haha.

Piggy Knowles
2014-07-05, 08:07 AM
Here are the houserules I'm using for the campaign I'm currently running:

Multiclassing
No multiclassing/favored class penalties.

Magical Items and Make Whole
The make whole spell DOES work on magical items, but requires a caster level check versus a DC of 11 + caster level of the item to succeed. Failure means the item itself is still reconstructed, but the magical properties are not restored. This does not work on constructs.

Mindsight
Mind Blank, immunity to telepathy, and immunity to divinations all block mindsight. Mindsight does not work on the undead.

Wild Talent
The Wild Talent feat does not exist. Instead, it is replaced with Hidden Talent.

Astral Construct
There is no limit to the number of astral constructs a character can summon at one time.

Spontaneous Casters and Metamagic
Sorcerers, favored souls and other spontaneous casters (but not those with fixed lists such as beguilers or warmagi) can innately alter the nature of spells. When choosing a spell known, a sorcerer can instead choose a metamagic-adjusted version of a spell. The spell known slot is equal to the adjusted spell level, and metamagic reducers do not apply. The sorcerer does not need to know the non-metamagic’d version of a spell for this, nor does she need to know the metamagic feat in question. This spell is cast normally, and is not considered “adjusted” by metamagic, nor does it require a full-round casting time. Heighten Spell cannot be used in this way.

For example, as a fourth-level sorcerer, I gain a 2nd-level spell known. I can choose Extended Charm Person as my second level spell, even if I do not have the Charm Person spell or the Extend Spell feat. It is considered a second-level spell, and DCs and other effects dependent upon spell level are handled accordingly.

NEW SORCERER SPELL: Arcane Reformation

Arcane Reformation
Enchantment (Mind-Affecting)
Level: Sorcerer 4
Components: V, S, XP
Casting Time: 10 Minutes
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous

When this spell is cast, the caster can choose to spend its most recently gained skill points differently (picking new skills and abandoning old ones if it chooses) and to choose a different feat from the one it selected when advancing from its previous level to its current level. The caster can also choose to forget spells known it acquired when advancing to its current level, replacing them with new ones.

The caster can undo decisions of these sorts that were made at lower levels, if the caster agrees to pay the necessary XP before this spell is cast (see below). The caster must abide by the standard rules for selecting skills and feats, and so it cannot take feats for which it doesn’t qualify or take crossclass skills as class skills.

XP Cost
This spell costs 50 XP to cast to reformat choices made when the character reached her current level. For each additional previous level into which the revision reaches, the spell costs an additional 50 XP.

Fighters
The fighter class has experienced some significant re-writes, available here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273600

Creation Spells and Poison
Creation spells CAN be used to create poison or other costly items (as long as they meet the requirements of the spell, such as only plant matter for minor creation, etc.). However, minor creation can only create one dose of poison at a time. Major creation can create up to five doses at a time. True creation has no limitation on quantity beyond the volume limitations present in the spell itself. (This applies to psionic versions and SLAs as well.)

Metamorphic Transfer and Assume Supernatural Ability
These will only work on some abilities - most are probably fine, but be sure to check with me before you use them. (Sorry to leave this one so open-ended - I wanted to leave them in because there ARE non-broken uses. However, using them to, say, nab CL 20 astral projection at ECL 5 would not be allowed. Therefore, let me know what your plans are with them.)

Circle Magic, Incantatrix, Tainted Scholars
The Tainted Scholar and Tainted Sorcerer classes are banned. Circle Magic exists, but is replaced with the version found in the Ghostwalk supplement. (This includes the circle magic granted by Red Wizards, Hathrans, et al.) Incantatrix exists, but Cooperative Metamagic and Metamagic Effect are only usable 2/day.

Nightsticks
Nightsticks exist but do not stack.

Planar Shepherd
No.