PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Fire Healing, Metal Armor, and High temperatures. Synergy?

Drrakerr
2014-06-23, 08:45 AM
I was flipping through MM3 when I saw an interesting ability on the Phoelarch (page 121, right next to Petals).

Healing Fire- Any fire affect targeted on the Phoelarch heals it for 1 point for every 3 points of damage it would otherwise deal.

The rules for extreme heat state that metal in temperatures of 140 degrees or higher are treated as if being effected by a Heat Metal spell.

RAW, this effect isn't targeting the Phoelarch, but RAI, would I be reasonable to treat this as Fast Healing 2d4/3?

Might be using this guy as a new villain in my game.

Nettlekid
2014-06-23, 08:51 AM
Yeah, that's definitely usable. I don't think the "targeting" thing would even come under question, or at least no one would raise an eyebrow at it. But um, consider what you've just said. Fast Healing 2d4/3? That's either Fast Healing 1 or 2 if you're lucky. That's not much at all. Unless you're playing like level 4, it's not going to make a great difference. The "stuff an Undead with Black Sand for Fast Healing 1d4" is even more effective than that. Plus, I promise you're going to get bored of rolling 2d4 over and over.

Drrakerr
2014-06-23, 09:07 AM
I know it isn't much, but the idea was to give him a few cleric levels and focus on summons and healing. The Fire healing was just icing really.