PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder A question about Werewolf Shape discovery

13ones
2014-06-23, 10:21 AM
So there is this discovery listed on the Wizard pageWerewolf Shape (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/arcane-discoveries/werewolf-shape). It seems like it is a pretty solid ability to cast for a quick buff to your physical abilities in combat. However I'm not able to find any information if you're able to cast or not while in hybrid shape. I assume you wouldn't be able to in wolf shape as you wouldn't have access to verbal or somatic but hybrid shape seems to be able to do this, since they have hands and have common listed as a language.

So...does this work or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Trundlebug
2014-06-23, 11:38 AM
"You act in all respects as a natural lycanthrope for the duration of the spell, including the ability to inflict the curse of lycanthropy using the spell's save DC. "

Well the Hybrid form statblock has language common, and it specifies you keep your equipment in hybrid form. Traditionally hybrids were forms have hands with talons.

I would say yes but that is a largely ignorant of PF opinion.

13ones
2014-06-23, 01:17 PM
See that was my thought. The idea of being a spell casting werewolf is just AMAZING! So much so that I've statted several for a game I'll be running soon. I'm just not sure if it'd work on a PC.

Khantin
2014-06-23, 01:36 PM
Unless I am missing something, it would be difficult to be a spell casting werewolf as you take on the base animals attributes in hybrid form ie almost no intellect and low wisdom/charisma.

13ones
2014-06-23, 02:05 PM
See I'd normally agree but looking at the differences between a Lycanthrope (Human form) and Lycanthrope (Hybrid) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/lycanthrope/werewolf) shows that there is no change in any of the casting stats, it retains its language, and it continues to use manufactured weapons....so... I'd personally rule it able to cast spells if it had the sufficient int.

But I came to you smart folks to help me sort this.

stack
2014-06-23, 02:15 PM
I don't see the appeal. By the time you cast it, +3 weapons to bypass the dr will be common, you get a physical stat bump and some natural attacks, but you could be using beast shape 4 or shape change instead, without wasting a discovery. I guess if you really want to turn people into werewolves it...does that. +2 wisdom is okay, I guess.

Beast shape 4 gets you flight, blind sense, a pile of special abilities, etc. I don't see taking the discovery unless you do it for RP reasons.

13ones
2014-06-23, 02:58 PM
I do it for rule of cool reasons.

What is more bad ass than a guy casting serious dark magics, slinging curses and enervation's like they are nothing? A werewolf doing that. Awww yeah.

Dr. Cliché
2014-06-23, 03:08 PM
I do it for rule of cool reasons.

What is more bad ass than a guy casting serious dark magics, slinging curses and enervation's like they are nothing? A werewolf doing that. Awww yeah.

Werewolves make everything better.

(With the possible exception of nurseries...)