PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed I can't decide what to play

lytokk
2014-06-23, 10:44 AM
So, one of the players in my game wants to run a game in his own homebrew world in addition to the normal game we all play together. (two of our group members have been getting worse and worse about being able to make time for the game and rather than not meet to do anything for months at a time he wants to run a game in those off weeks) His world is a "magipunk" world ala Final Fantasy 6, but a little more techy. And I can't for the life of me decide what to play.

My first thought was to play a dragoon type character (the final fantasy spear jumper, not an actual mounted dragoon), and I made a little build with warblade as the main chassis, using maneuvers to jump around the field and leap/power attack.

But after hearing more about the setting, I brought up the Warforged as a potential race, and he felt they fit his setting perfectly. That brought in the multitude of warforged character concepts I had.

There's the warforged Soulknife (he said he trusted my judgement and is allowing me to use the pathfinder version instead of 3.5) who would eventually go soulbow, though I would have to do some skill translations, with more than likely just using the 3.5 skill list and weapon enchantment list.

After the soulknife, there's the Wildshape Ranger Primeval warforged build I've talked about wanting to play ad-nauseum, but the whole dragonborn part of it really doesn't fit with the campaign setting, and while it can be refluffed, it just seems better to hold this back as a replacement character, mostly due to the fact the build really doesn't come online til level 9, and we're starting at 1.

After all of that, there's the Unarmed Swordsage I had wanted to play. Again warforged, focusing on throwing people around the battlefield.

Another thing to consider is my wife will be playing in the game, and has decided on playing a Duskblade. One of the things missing in my game is someone for her to play off of, since everyone in the game is in sets of couples, and while they don't exclude her in RP situations, they don't interact with her as much as with thier SOs, so I want to be sure to build something that can interact with her well, which keeps me from wanting to use a warforged, as they don't exactly RP out romance well, if we even decide to do that, but I wouldn't want to close off that option right away. Though it would be an interesting concept. Warforged Crusader who's the re-incarnation of her husband akin to Robocop. Danget, another concept.

We rolled out stats together, and I got good enough rolls to really pull off anything. 18, 17, 16, 16, 14 and 12. I'm not normally a big fan of playing full casters, they seem boring to me and since I spend a lot more time on forums such as this I know my optimization potential is a lot higher than theirs, and I want to stay on par with the rest of the group.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-06-23, 10:49 AM
Totemist!

Just Refluff your natural weapons as multiple spear strikes and this is the perfect class for you.

You even get abilities that boost damage when you jump... Landshark boots I think.

Plus if you get bored, you can switch it up a bit.

Trundlebug
2014-06-23, 11:05 AM
A Duskblade + Martial Adept could be very potent on the field. Especially if she went multiclass with something that had accelerated casting/better spell list and you went white Raven lockdown to keep her safe and give her more actions. Enlarge/Reach weapon to give her a safe zone while she 5's up and CHANNEL'S POWA!

SS throwing ppl around could work. Toss them at your SO's feet and watch the full attack commence. Alternatively you could go with a caster that moves her around so can concentrate on full attacking. I made an Ardent/SS once that had brutal defenses but little O and would get in things faces, let them exhaust SLA's, rages, etc then swap places with the frenzied bezerker. Charging is better but hey, some plp just want to full attack :). Just use fractional bab or you'll be worse of than a wiz.

Some suggestions staying away from full caster stuff. Are there other casters in the group? Or party I should say, cuz if you have casters in your group I want to meet 'em! :smallbiggrin:

lytokk
2014-06-23, 11:46 AM
We've really only got 1 other person in the group for now, and she's going about as nuts as I am trying to decide on what to play. She always played halflings, and I mean always. Now, she chose to play something else, and is being as overwhelmed with options as I am. So I have no clue what she's going to play.

Its been too long since I've played and I'm just overwhelmed with all the options, and I keep thinking up more of them.

WeaselGuy
2014-06-23, 11:59 AM
We've really only got 1 other person in the group for now, and she's going about as nuts as I am trying to decide on what to play. She always played halflings, and I mean always. Now, she chose to play something else, and is being as overwhelmed with options as I am. So I have no clue what she's going to play.

Its been too long since I've played and I'm just overwhelmed with all the options, and I keep thinking up more of them.

Yeah, that last bit? About so many options? We have a high mortality rate in our game, so when I'm at work, I spend a little time making backup characters. The downside is that I have half a notebook full of characters now, and don't know which one to play when my current character dies. I ended up leaving said notebook at work over the weekend, and my halfling outrider got nuked by a fire elemental while playing frogger, so I literally had to come up with something on the quick, and ended up going with a Lesser Tiefling Ranger/Assassin/Dragon Disciple using a double scimitar. My buddy actually doesn't get to play the same character more than 2 sessions in a row, so I think he's on his 4th now, who is also a Ranger, but went the route of Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian/Ranger/Swordsage. In all actuality though, the only person that actually matters is the Evoker with his Cleric Cohort >.>

lytokk
2014-06-23, 12:56 PM
The DM has been playing since at least 2ed, so I'm sure there's going to be death here and there, and as to that I'm not worried about never being able to use some of these concepts, I'm just not sure which one to start with.

Bloodgruve
2014-06-23, 01:31 PM
which keeps me from wanting to use a warforged, as they don't exactly RP out romance well, if we even decide to do that, but I wouldn't want to close off that option right away. Though it would be an interesting concept. Warforged Crusader who's the re-incarnation of her husband akin to Robocop. Danget, another concept.

She could play an Artificer and you could be her 'Love Machine' and you could have your own theme song. They don't really tell you how Warforged are brought to life but in my campaign Creation Forges pull in departed souls to give the Warforged sentience and consciousness. You could play the departed husband, but name your self Love Machine, and you don't work for nobody but her ;)

An Artificer always likes to have a big warforged in front of them.

Blood~

lytokk
2014-06-23, 02:45 PM
I'm not 100% on how he plans to do warforged creation. More than likely, as just a sort of artificial intelligence. The DM and me have been going back and forth regarding the setting, me just asking questions to flush the whole thing out. Already clerics are gone, since they don't make a ton of sense. They've been refluffed into Nano-mancers, nanobot spell casters basically. Same idea and function of clerics, but no religion anymore. All that may mean that the only race capable of being raised from the dead are the warforged.

Another update n the setting, Elfs aren't the standard D&D elves. They are ELF's, engineered life forms, created by the humans to serve them. After the ELFen revolt, they made the warforged, since humans are apparently lazy.

Bloodgruve
2014-06-23, 03:11 PM
I'm not 100% on how he plans to do warforged creation. More than likely, as just a sort of artificial intelligence. The DM and me have been going back and forth regarding the setting, me just asking questions to flush the whole thing out. Already clerics are gone, since they don't make a ton of sense. They've been refluffed into Nano-mancers, nanobot spell casters basically. Same idea and function of clerics, but no religion anymore. All that may mean that the only race capable of being raised from the dead are the warforged.

Another update n the setting, Elfs aren't the standard D&D elves. They are ELF's, engineered life forms, created by the humans to serve them. After the ELFen revolt, they made the warforged, since humans are apparently lazy.

Wow, he's going pretty far with this. If a Lich deposits its soul in a phylactery maybe a version of this could be more common in a future DnD if magic still functions..

GL
Blood~

lytokk
2014-06-23, 04:10 PM
He's fluffed undead as nanobots gone wrong. Arcane spell casting is supposed to be unaffected. Druids work regardless since their magic comes from nature. He has gone to se serious lengths fr this. A lot of the work required is because he built it on 2nd ed but we no felt it wasn't the right time to teach my wife a second system. So he's doing the world building and I'm going to handle the mechanical rulings. But it falls to him on final decision.