PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Drow Noctumancer

WeaselGuy
2014-06-23, 11:31 AM
So, I'm making a Drow (DM gave us a free LA +2) Noctumancer for an upcoming campaign. Got stats (after racials) of Str 12, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 18. I have the basic class progression mapped out, as follows...

Wizard 2/Drow Paragon 1/Shadowcaster 3/Noctumancer 10/Mystic Theurge 4

I was thinking of Knowledge Devotion at level 3, because "hey, skill points, knowledge (anything), dur", but beyond that, I don't really know what other feats to look at...

Suggestions for gear would also be appreciated, starting at level 7 with WBL, end game gear to plan for/bribe DM for would be appreciated as well.

So, here goes...

"Help me, Giants in the Playground, you're my only hope!"

I should note, in case anyone brings it up, that Drow Paragon 1 increases my Wizard caster level, and it says in ToM that Shadowcaster spells can count for either arcane or divine with regards to Mystic Theurge, allowing MT to bounce off Noctumancer for dual 9s at 20.

gorfnab
2014-06-23, 06:15 PM
Take a look at the Compiled Shadowcaster Handbook that is linked in my signature.

For Drow specific feats you could look into Magic in the Blood (PGtF), Master of Shadow (DoTU), and Gift of the Spider Queen (DoTU). Add these feats to the Drow Paragon level and a Ring of Drow Blood (DoTU) and you'll be seriously set in terms of useful spell-like-ability options.

atemu1234
2014-06-23, 06:37 PM
Also, get the At Home in the Deep feat, if you aren't planning on it already. Concealment rules, they're a hoot.

peacenlove
2014-06-23, 11:16 PM
Having played a Nocturmancer myself in a low OP game (without early entry tricks, like Precocious apprentice), I would suggest that you discuss with your DM if that feat allows you to save 2 levels of wizard.
Standard Theurge feats are Practiced Spellcaster (wizard) and Practiced spellcaster (shadowcaster) so your caster level remains relevant. Shadowcaster might not be needed if you focus on defensive mysteries since they become supernatural at some point.
Depending on the abundance of enemy melee combatants and their counter mage methods, Shadow Cast allows you to avoid AoO due to casting and defeats Mage Slayer in most cases.
You can't go wrong with standard wizard feats. Uncanny forethought and trading your familiar for an alternate class ability then getting it back with Shadow Familiar which uses the sum of all your spellcasting classes for it's abilities.
For gear, depends on the route you want to take. Do you focus more on the shadowcaster (charisma) side or the wizard (intelligence) side?
At level 7 and having multiple ability dependence, I would work to expand my limited spell/mystery casting per day with eternal wands and orbs of shadow. Although most of your money would be eaten by a +2 charisma and intelligence item. Probably a +2 constitution and a twilight mithril chain shirt (with an armor crystal from Magic Item Compendium) too to increase my defenses without using spell slots.