PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Dwarven Spit

heavyfuel
2014-06-23, 01:23 PM
This is kinda silly, but my friend wants the ability to spit at people. It's something his Dwarf has been doing for a while now when out of combat, but he wants to do it in combat! I don't think something like that is worth a whole Feat, so I was thinking that he could get this as a "Skill" trick, even though there's no "Spitting" skill.

So, the "Dwarven Spit":

You can spit in your foes face with great precision, blinding them briefly

Prerequisite:
Dwarf

Benefit:
As a swift action that doesn't provoke AoO, you may try to hit a foe with your spit. You must succeed on Ranged Touch Attack, and if you hit, the creature is Blinded for 1 round and then dazzled for another round afterwards. If it spends a move action that provokes AoO to clean the spit, the effects end immediately. The spit has a Range Increment of 5ft.

Alternatively, I thought about actually creating a Spitting skill. Keyed off of Dexterity.

Spitting (DEX)

Description
Use this skill to spit. Not to spread saliva, but actually create a single ball of it.

Check
The Spitting skill is primarily used for spitting long distances, but sometimes to distract foes in combat.

Long Spitting: You can spit up to 10ft away with a DC 15 spit check, and an additional 5ft for each 5 points by which your check result is greater than the DC.

Spitting in Combat: You can also use your spit to blind foes temporarily. To do that, you make a Spitting check and your foe must make a Reflex save with a DC equal to your spitting check. If you win, the creature is Blinded for 1 round and then dazzled for another round afterwards. If it spends a move action that provokes AoO to clean the spit, these effects end immediately. You must choose the foe before making the check, and the foe gets a +2 bonus to check the Reflex save for each 5ft of distance between you two. The maximum distance is determined by the Long Spitting rules and your previous check result.

(Example: Lidda, wants to distract her foe, so she makes her Spitting check and gets a total of 21: 3 for her ranks, 4 for her Dexterity and 14 on the d20. With this result Lidda can hit a target up to 15ft away, if the target she chose is farther than that, the spitting attempt automatically fails. If the target is within range, he must make a Reflex save DC 21, gaining the appropriate distance bonuses.)

Action

Swift action for either usage of the skill.

Try Again

Yes. As long as you wait 2d4 rounds between each Spitting attempt, you can try again as many times as you want.

Special

Spitting is always a Class Skill for any Dwarf.

So... Any tips?

Xaotiq1
2014-06-25, 12:27 AM
How about the Shape Soulmeld feat from Magic of Incarnum? Dissolving Spittle, anyone?

Debihuman
2014-06-25, 08:36 AM
Spitting as a Dwarf's skill should just blind targets for one round. Dazzling them is just too much.

Debby

heavyfuel
2014-06-26, 03:16 PM
How about the Shape Soulmeld feat from Magic of Incarnum? Dissolving Spittle, anyone?

It would work, unfortunately, te player doesn't want to spend a precious feat to do that. Especially considering he want this more for a comedic effect than anything else.

Doesn't Pathfinder have a dirty tricks combat maneuver?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Dirty-Trick

It does? I never played PF, so I wouldn't know haha. Anyway, I took a look at it and blinding for one round seems fair, though the standard action cost seems rather high for something like this. Also, is there a simple way to backport CMB and CMD?

Thunderfist12
2014-06-26, 04:21 PM
Also, is there a simple way to backport CMB and CMD?

Yes. Yes there is.

Rather than using CMB vs CMD, just do an opposed grapple check. Mechanically, it should be relatively similar. It worked for my group, anyways.