PDA

View Full Version : Does the Grim revenge hand wight create new wights?

PapaEmeritusII
2014-06-23, 02:01 PM
Grim revenge has quickly become one of my favorite spells (book of vile darkness). Its not the most powerful damage wise, but if used on something that needs its hands to attack or cast spells can be very powerful. What has me confused is that once the hand is ripped off can the new "hand wight" create new wights if it kills something?

So for example we face a random humanoid and I successfully cast grim revenge to rip of its hand. The party then brings the random humanoid to "down" status (-9 to 0 hit points) and I tell no one to attack and slap it to death with the newly created hand. Does that humanoid then become a wight in 1d4 rounds that I could command (assuming it fails a will save because it is intelligent)? Most wights gain the ability "create spawn" and I assume the hand wight also gets this.

What confuses me further is that create spawn says that the spawned wight is commanded by the wight that killed it. A hand can not communicate (unless you count sign language...) so does that mean the hand does not have the ability to create spawn, since it does not meet the requirements of being able to command it?

Fouredged Sword
2014-06-23, 06:02 PM
Yes, it creates wights

Grim Revenge

The hand attacks as if it were a wight (see the Monster Manual) in terms of its statistics, special attacks, and special qualities,

Wight

Special Attacks: Create spawn,

Even if your Dm nixes that, you still get a wight from anything killed with negative levels, just 24 hours later.

Incedently the hand controls all the created wights, but you don't control the hand in any way. Better hope you can rebuke it when you are done, as the spell isn't dismissal.