PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Damage Types

2014-06-24, 12:44 AM
Hello, playgrounders! I'm looking for a way to either change the base damage type of a weapon, or a way to make it count as a different damage type. Specifically, I'm looking for a way to make a slashing weapon count as a bludgeoning weapon for the purposes of the feat Crushing Strike (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-handbook-ii--80/crushing-strike--490/).

Flickerdart
2014-06-24, 12:57 AM
Is there a reason you can't just use a weapon that's both slashing and bludgeoning? A bite attack, for instance, counts as both.

Crimson Wolf
2014-06-24, 01:07 AM
Why cant you just wield a Bludgeoning weapon? Why does it have to be some kind of modification? I mean I love customizing stuff to be different but this one seems a bit odd to me.

2014-06-24, 01:16 AM
It's for a crit-fisher build. Bludgeoning weapons are less than ideal across the board.

Crimson Wolf
2014-06-24, 01:17 AM
Hmm I know pathfinder has a feat allowing monks to be piercing or bludgeoning when fighting unarmed. Maybe there is a feat somewhere for making slashing into bludgeoning?

Raezeman
2014-06-24, 05:07 AM
how about the minotaur greathammer (monster manual 4, page 100)? exotic weapon with crit range 19-20/x4. Not actually what you are asking, but you might like it instead. Ofcourse it depends on your DM if you ever find one of those things.

Vaz
2014-06-24, 05:32 AM
If going for Disciple of Dispater, Versatile Unarmed Strike won't work, unless you're a warforged with an iron or steel body.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-24, 05:35 AM
I think taking Versatile Unarmed Strike and putting Aptitude on your weapon should do it. Though really you could just put Aptitude on it and it'll work with Crushing Strike by its self.

Vaz
2014-06-24, 05:46 AM
Down to DM's decision that one. It's not necessarily cut and dry in that respect. I'm not getting into a RAW/RAI argument with it here, just making the note regarding Aptitude that DM's may not rule so favourably in circumstances of poor wording - especially where Crit Fishing might come in - especially with Lightning Maces being an option.

PraxisVetli
2014-06-24, 09:39 AM
So, the good news is, there's a spell that does it.
The bad news is, I can't remember what it's called...
Hopefully my post reminds someone who does remember so I don't look like a complete useless a**

2014-06-24, 10:02 AM
I think taking Versatile Unarmed Strike and putting Aptitude on your weapon should do it. Though really you could just put Aptitude on it and it'll work with Crushing Strike by its self.

The Warblade Aptitude ability applies to feats that specify a weapon, not a damage type, so it won't work for my purposes. The Aptitude weapon enchantment applies to feats the PC took where they had to choose the weapon in applied to, so it won't work either...or at least, it's pretty questionable RAI.

If someone could find that spell, that'd be great.

Regissoma
2014-06-24, 01:11 PM
I know that their is something called the reinforced sheath from dragon mag 324, but I don't remember what it does exactly. I believe it might do what you need it to though with some negatives.

Edit: Ok I was right. For a -2 to hit a reinforced sheath allows you to treat the sheath as a bludgeoning weapon of the weapon inside.

Kantolin
2014-06-24, 01:14 PM
Would being a pathfinder soulknife help? They have the ability to do this to their mind blades. I have no idea if this is of relevance to you, but it's an option.

Kimras
2014-06-24, 01:16 PM
you could just grind the sharp edge till it is dull so it can no longer cut then would technically be a bludgeoning weapon

Trasilor
2014-06-24, 01:44 PM
It would probably be easier to just ask the DM to allow a custom feat in which you replace the word Bludgeon with Slashing.

Given how weak the ability is (+1 to Attack per successful hit) at level 14 is not that impressive given the spell casters have access to Level 7 spells.

2014-06-24, 02:35 PM
The basic idea is dual-wielding kaorti resin scimitars. It uses the Warblade Weapon Aptitude class ability to count a series of light mace feats (Weapon Focus, Lightning Mace, etc.) as scimitar feats. A level of pounce-barian combined with the standard PA/Shock Trooper/Leap attack combo, as well as the high crit range, Lightning Mace, and Crushing Blow, and it gets ridiculous.

Charging in with just Imp. Crit (light mace) or the keen property, and the three TWF feats, I get 9 attacks (BAB gives 4, TWF gives 3, Whirling Frenzy gives 1, haste gives 1), every time i threaten a critical threat, i get another attack at that attack bonus (Lightning Mace) and every attack that hits gives a +1 attack bonus to every following attack per previous attack that hits (Crushing Strike) with no upper limit to how big that bonus can get.

Assuming the DM doesn't take one look at this book and call cheese, it'll make for a killer combo the first time I actually pull this off. And after that, the character will get killed by a ridiculous amount of fiat damage, but the fact that I need calculus to figure out my average theoretical damage makes it totally worth it.

heavyfuel
2014-06-24, 03:10 PM
It uses the Warblade Weapon Aptitude class ability to count a series of light mace feats (Weapon Focus, Lightning Mace, etc.) as scimitar feats.

This doesn't work. What you want is an Aptitude Weapon Scimitar (+1 bonus, also from ToB). While the enhancement and the class ability have similar effects, the enhancement changes the weapon to match the feats, not the feats to match the weapon. Your build's gonna be a bit more expensive, but it's gonna work.

2014-06-24, 03:27 PM
This doesn't work. What you want is an Aptitude Weapon Scimitar (+1 bonus, also from ToB). While the enhancement and the class ability have similar effects, the enhancement changes the weapon to match the feats, not the feats to match the weapon. Your build's gonna be a bit more expensive, but it's gonna work.

Both the Warblade Weapon Aptitude ability and the Aptitude weapon enchantment allow a PC to count their weapon-specific feats as if they applied to the weapon you trained with/enchanted, respectively. However, the warblade doesn't have to buy it on two separate weapons; his ability applies to any weapon he trains with. Furthermore, Warblade 3 gives Int mod to crit confirm attacks, which helps my build. And there's no reason to buy an enchantment that mimics an ability I already have.

And while the aptitude ability can definitely count a scimitar as a light mace, it does not make a scimitar count as a bludgeoning weapon, which is what my current build needs.

Vaz
2014-06-24, 04:25 PM
Warblade

Each morning, you can spend 1 hour in weapon practice to change the designated weapon for any feat you have that applies only to a single weapon (such as Weapon Focus).

Aptitude WSA

A wielder who has feats that affect the use of a particular type of weapon, such as Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, or the like, can apply the benefi ts of those feats to any weapon that has the aptitude quality.

Note the difference - and there is one. However, Light Maces applies to TWO Light Maces, NOT a single weapon as per what Warblade Aptitude requires.

georgie_leech
2014-06-24, 04:37 PM
Both the Warblade Weapon Aptitude ability and the Aptitude weapon enchantment allow a PC to count their weapon-specific feats as if they applied to the weapon you trained with/enchanted, respectively. However, the warblade doesn't have to buy it on two separate weapons; his ability applies to any weapon he trains with. Furthermore, Warblade 3 gives Int mod to crit confirm attacks, which helps my build. And there's no reason to buy an enchantment that mimics an ability I already have.

And while the aptitude ability can definitely count a scimitar as a light mace, it does not make a scimitar count as a bludgeoning weapon, which is what my current build needs.

Not quite. The weapon enchantment lets it count as something else for the purposes of weapon specific feats; in this case, a Scimitar could be counted as a Mace. The Warblade class feature lets you change which weapons the feats can apply to. Without a particularly loose reading of RAW, it changes feats that applied to a specific kind of weapon that you choose. If your DM has already ok'ed it, great, but it's more of a stretch to say that you can use it to change which weapon Lightning Mace applies to when it has no other weapons that it could be switched to (contrast with changing Weapon Focus (Mace) to Weapon Focus (Scimitar)), then it is to apply Lightning Maces to a weapon that is treated as being a Mace for the purposes of weapon-specific feats.

Vaz
2014-06-24, 05:34 PM
The Warblade class feature lets you change which weapons the feats can apply to

Not as far as I can see.

2014-06-24, 06:04 PM
My DM has ok'd applying it to Lightning Mace, his reasoning being "eh, it's not a spellcaster being optimized; how bad could it be?" Regarding the difference...

The class ability makes any weapon specific feats count for the weapon you trained with: it changes the feats to match the weapon.

The feat makes your weapon count as a different weapon for the purposes of gaining benefits from your feats: it changes the weapon to match the feats.

The difference that exists between these two is virtually irrelevant for my purposes, as far as I can tell...with one exception. That being that the Warblade class ability only applies to a single weapon. Thanks for pointing that out, Vaz. I may need to find the ideal double-weapon for my build...

I still don't think that makes a slashing weapon count as a bludgeoning, which is my actual issue. Any further ideas in that area?

Necroticplague
2014-06-24, 09:34 PM
Well, if you're already with the ruling that anything specifying a weapon can be changed wihh the warblade class feature, Versatile Unarmed Strike would let you change between any of the three.

2014-06-24, 09:38 PM
Well, if you're already with the ruling that anything specifying a weapon can be changed wihh the warblade class feature, Versatile Unarmed Strike would let you change between any of the three.

That's perfect, thanks.

Sayt
2014-06-24, 09:47 PM
Pathfinder has the Martial Versatiity feat in the Undead Slayer's handbook. It lets you make a swift action to shift the damage type of your weapon to B, S or P, so long as you have weapon focus in that weapon. ONly req's +1 BAB and WF.

Riston
2014-06-25, 04:56 PM
So, the good news is, there's a spell that does it.
The bad news is, I can't remember what it's called...
Hopefully my post reminds someone who does remember so I don't look like a complete useless a**

The spell you're looking for is Earth Hammer (http://dndtools.eu/spells/races-of-stone--82/earth-hammer--3070/).

Oddman80
2014-06-25, 05:33 PM
The +1 weapon enhancement "morphing" from MIC does exactly what you want

2014-06-25, 05:47 PM
The +1 weapon enhancement "morphing" from MIC does exactly what you want

No, it doesn't. I need a way to wield a scimitar while either...

1) it deals bludgeoning damage

or

2) it counts as a bludgeoning weapon.

Morphing changes my scimitar into another weapon, which loses me the advantages of wielding a scimitar. Anyway, this thread has already given me a solution: Versatile Unarmed Strike, combined with the Aptitude weapon enchantment (ToB), accomplishes one of the above goals.