PDA

View Full Version : Bands You Hate But Can't Help Listening To

Khantalas
2007-02-24, 09:07 PM
Another listing bands thread, this one is about bands that you don't like, whether it's about the lyrics, the music, the obvious plagiarism or whatever, but still listen to most of the time inexplicably.

Although I say bands, you may name solo singers and stuff like that. That's cool, man. That's cool.

I'll start.

My two favorite hated bands are Nickelback and Blessid Union of Souls. I don't like Nickelback because I could do much better by listening to actual bands, such as Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Blessid Union of Souls stands against things I stand for, such as romantic love and stuff like being happy no matter what and liking someone for them (She Likes "Him" For "Him", you know).

Yet I listen to these bands. Worse yet, I listen to them quite often. It's like smoking: you know it's bad for you, but it's hard to give up.

What's wrong with me, anyway?

Rama_Lei
2007-02-24, 11:11 PM
I grew up as a mutt of music. My dad listens to Dixie Chicks, Sheryll Crow, Shania Twain, Allannis Morrisete, Barenaked Ladies, and others. My sister developed a love of indie bands, The Decemberists, Of Montreal, and soem hard core Swedish techno. My brother likes synth music off the internet, and my mom likes motown and simon and garfunkel. I'll listen to practically anything thats not rap, except the occasional Jay-Z. I listen to great indie and classic bands, but a lot of mainstream crap, like Fallout Boy, P!ATD and others. In fact, I'm listening to the new avril song on Youtube.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-24, 11:20 PM
I don't like most country, most rap, most current popular music, or Slipknot. Either my friends or my family like one or more of those. So...I listen a lot, even though I don't want to. Does that count?

ElfLad
2007-02-24, 11:26 PM
I don't like Coldplay, but I have a weakness for Speed of Sound.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-25, 12:16 AM
Aqua, their songs are bad... but oddly good at the same time. (Barbie Girl, Roses Are Red, Happy Boys and Happy Girls, etc)

And I dont get why people hate Nickelback so much...

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-25, 12:18 AM
Zergling, I believe it has to do with the belief that post-grunge is trying to be grunge and doesn't even come close. Nickelback is pretty much post-grunge's posterband.

Beleriphon
2007-02-25, 05:35 AM
Zergling, I believe it has to do with the belief that post-grunge is trying to be grunge and doesn't even come close. Nickelback is pretty much post-grunge's posterband.

That and they suck.

As for me, its ABBA. I don't really like then, but dammit I keep being drawn back to those wacky Swedes.

Ceska
2007-02-25, 05:51 AM
Black Metal bands that go on and use Satan or Satanism in every text, or simply can't sing. I can't help but like the style, but why can't they just shut up? For example Dimmu Borgir, nice to listen to in the background, but once he sings I have to turn it off. Ah well, search for good texts in music and you'll find only stubs, I've yet to find a text I really can like and don't find ridiculous.

Silkenfist
2007-02-25, 05:52 AM
My sin will always be the clichee power metal bands around Manowar, Rhapsody, Hammerfall, etc...
I know that there are bands that do the same kind of music better in about any aspect, I can think of, without being utterly pretentious/ridiculous. But if this is the case, how did the entrie "Power of the Dragonflame" album just sneak into my playlist. And by just writing Manowar, I am already tempted to add one of their albums just as well.

Thelion
2007-02-25, 12:38 PM
It's NEVER wrong to listen to Manowar! ;)

Btw, if you think that's a sin, you should try Virgin Steele, the thinking man's Manowar.

As for myself, I must admit Black Sabbath with Ozzy Osbourne on vocals. There's nothing wrong with them with Dio or Martin on vocals, but I can't stand Ozzy's vocals and attitude, although songs like Children Of The Grave are pretty good.

Khantalas
2007-02-26, 08:11 AM
As for myself, I must admit Black Sabbath with Ozzy Osbourne on vocals. There's nothing wrong with them with Dio or Martin on vocals, but I can't stand Ozzy's vocals and attitude, although songs like Children Of The Grave are pretty good.

And there are some people who don't like the second and third generation vocals. Example: me.

Though Heaven and Hell is pure awesome.

Hunter_Rose
2007-02-26, 08:59 AM
I'm usually a real sucker for bubblegum pop. If it's got a good backbeat and a catchy hook I will fall for it (ie: Berlinda Carlyle's "Heaven is a place on Earth", most of the Go-Go's repitorie, Kim Wilde's "Kids in America", and probably my biggest sin anything, and I mean anything, done by Men Without Hats). I could probably listen to "Safety Dance" on continous loop just like they did in "Biodome" (one of the movies I'm really ashamed to say I really enjoy).

Thelion
2007-02-26, 05:51 PM
And there are some people who don't like the second and third generation vocals. Example: me.

Though Heaven and Hell is pure awesome.

Awww man, your loss :smallwink:

Sometimes I hate myself for listening to Michael Jackson, but I still think Billy Jean and Beat It are excellent songs. It's just... Michael Jackson

Amotis
2007-02-26, 05:53 PM
Michael Jackson is a star, there won't be another Michael for a long long time. Maybe never. The man was a great artist, a great dancer, a great revolutionizer. His music is immortal and something that should really never be forgotten. He inspired so many other artists as well as many other things in pop culture.

Khantalas
2007-02-26, 05:59 PM
Michael Jackson is a star, there won't be another Michael for a long long time. Maybe never. The man was a great artist, a great dancer, a great revolutionizer. His music is immortal and something that should really never be forgotten. He inspired so many other artists as well as many other things in pop culture.

Oh, yes. The fact that he made himself something to be mocked through public scandals and such stuff shouldn't taint the joy you should have listening to him.

Thelion
2007-02-26, 06:17 PM

Oh, so true and I do like a certain amount of his songs.

It's just... well... his appearance, the dancing, the outfits. It strikes me as 'wrong' :smalltongue:

Amotis
2007-02-26, 08:54 PM
Well the early look and all of his dancing screams James Brown.

Catch
2007-02-27, 11:00 AM
Most anime music is far too poppy and japanese for my tastes, but I always end up really liking the themes and simultaneously loathing myself for doing so.

Maybe it's because I find engrish to be downright hilarious.