PDA

View Full Version : Building a Symbiote in mutants and masterminds 2.0

Karberus
2014-06-24, 06:41 AM
Several buddies and I are playing a mutants and masterminds campaign where we have to play something out of the ordinary. I decided to play as a symbiote(similar to Venom). Now I know plenty of ways to build a character that uses a symbiote, but I am determined to play as the symbiote, using NPC's as hosts. Any suggestions for building it? I have guessed maybe using possession but I don't know how to make it work like a symbiote.

EdroGrimshell
2014-06-25, 01:59 PM
Several buddies and I are playing a mutants and masterminds campaign where we have to play something out of the ordinary. I decided to play as a symbiote(similar to Venom). Now I know plenty of ways to build a character that uses a symbiote, but I am determined to play as the symbiote, using NPC's as hosts. Any suggestions for building it? I have guessed maybe using possession but I don't know how to make it work like a symbiote.

Possession linked to Empowerment (from the Ultimate Power sourcebook). It lets you enhance the host body while you're using it. Add in Mutation and limit it so you can make the host dependent on the symbiote (if you want to go that route, since you are basing the character on Venom) and weaken them in some areas to improve their power in other areas to make them even more useful hosts (such as weakening their will to boost their strength). Um, obvious weaknesses include having few powers when not possessing a host, a weakness to ultrasonic sounds and fire (like the Marvel Symbiotes), and maybe a bit of Emotion Control to subtly manipulate a host before you fully possess them.

Other ideas include actually making the symbiote have powers of its own, like a form of power control (cosmic, radiation, etc.), absorption, telekinesis, or some magic. That's a bit out of the ordinary for a symbiote.