PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Flurry warlock 3.5 D&D to pathfinder (aka Natsu)

Malreave
2014-06-24, 08:00 AM
Good day one and all I am here asking for assistance in creating (or rather transferring) my abomination of .... darn cant find the original but here is the close approximation:

using 3.5 D&D
classes: Warlock 3, binder 1 (for Naberius), monk 1 (or 2), Hellfire warlock, Enlightened fist.
Feats: Combat Casting, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Eldrich claws, Improved Initiative, and some other stuff to help synergy.

DM allowed for eldrich blast to be used in conjunction with Enlightened fists Arcane Fist (Su) and Hold Ray (Ex), the idea of this guy was to be a good melee damage dealer and have a good selection of skills to be useful outside of combat, he did well and was able to keep up with the druid in survival and damage and gained the nickname Godslayer in the end :smallamused:

this was created before i started reading Fairy tail after which I started to dislike the nickname :smallmad:

Now I wish to recreate this guy in a pathfinder setting but I am unsure of how to go about it, I can use 3.5 D&D prestige classes but NOT base classes or most feats, I have also been given the option to use the Class Creation Engine by Khepri but I would like to avoid that if possible. I have a rough Idea of how to go about it e.g. Pathfinders warlock and monk then taking the aforementioned prestige class but he wont be any good till very late on, I cant find a School Ability that gives a useful touch attack.

So any Ideas oh denizens of the Playground.

Thank-you in advance

Bloodgruve
2014-06-24, 08:36 AM
I don't think I can directly help with the question but if you have a level of Monk and you can get Flee the Scene invocation grab theSun School feat. Gives an attack after a Dimension Door ;) Beast Claws feat from Dragon Mag allow you to add your claw damage to Unarmed Strike which works with Flurry and iterative attacks.

GL
Blood~

Malreave
2014-06-24, 09:19 AM
Sorry Blood its a good idea but can't as not able to use any D&D stuff unless its a prestige class and then there are restrictions on a case by case basis, that said I may be able to use the Beast Claws feat.

have found old build and it does use the beast claws in combination with eldrich claws for mass damage craziness but I cant use this in pathfinder as its a relatively low tire campaign, and not being able to pull it over due to difference with D&D warlock and pathfinders.

Feint's End
2014-06-24, 10:19 AM
So what exactly do you want to do? Melee damage + utility out of combat? What kind of utility is that? Sneaking, face, being god?

Melee damage from unarmed attacks or natural attacks?

Generally the best natural (and probably unarmed fighters) in pf are psionic with the exception of summoners and potentially alchemists (though neither of those are as strong as an optimised psywar).

Red Fel
2014-06-24, 10:45 AM
If you're describing Natsu, a dragon-themed fire-wizard with melee elements isn't that hard to pull off.

A simple option, if not the most optimized, is the Draconic Bloodline on a Sorcerer. Grants you claws, DR, energy resistance/immunity, wings, and a breath weapon. Obviously, you'll choose fire.

You could take it a step further, go with an Ifrit, and take the Scorching Weapons/Inner Flame/Blazing Aura combo.

The problem is, as Feint mentioned, what you want isn't abundantly clear. Do you simply want to recreate your stated build verbatim? It sounds like you want to do melee damage output, and keep up with the Druid (which is adorable). Is that all?

Malreave
2014-06-24, 10:48 AM
good question it's not so much those aspects but rather the recreation of that character concept in general, though he would be melee focusing on the combination of rays being used as part of unarmed strikes and having the option to use ranged touch if he can't close the gap, outside of combat being a half face with reasonable stealth ability.

the key point of the concept was holding the eldrich blast and punching people in the face with it but not being a one trick pony.

Apologies if this does not clear it up but its the only way I can explain it, and I understand if it is in no way optimized as they was never the intent, only that he be at least as good as the rest of the un-optimized party. :smallfrown:

Bloodgruve
2014-06-24, 10:54 AM
Yea, without Eldritch Claws and Beast Claws you may need use the creation engine. I'm currently playing a scouty 3.5 Clawlock in a game and its very fun. Prolly create a class or archetype for the 3rd party Warlock, or maybe just a new school with Eldritch Claws type ability.

Red Fel
2014-06-24, 11:06 AM
good question it's not so much those aspects but rather the recreation of that character concept in general, though he would be melee focusing on the combination of rays being used as part of unarmed strikes and having the option to use ranged touch if he can't close the gap, outside of combat being a half face with reasonable stealth ability.

the key point of the concept was holding the eldrich blast and punching people in the face with it but not being a one trick pony.

Apologies if this does not clear it up but its the only way I can explain it, and I understand if it is in no way optimized as they was never the intent, only that he be at least as good as the rest of the un-optimized party. :smallfrown:

Well, one option is to use the Elemental Fist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/elemental-fist-combat) or Domain Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/domain-strike-combat) feats. IUS is a prereq for both. Don't be put off by the prereqs for Elemental Fist; a Monk of the Four Winds archetype gets it for free at level 1.

In fact, a Cleric of the Fire Domain (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/paizo---domains/fire-domain) is in a pretty good place here. In addition to getting a slew of Fire spells, you get a standard action ranged Fire Bolt that deals 1d6+ Cleric level/2 damage, which you can use 3+Wis times per day. With Domain Strike, you can use one of those to discharge the blast on your melee attack - exploding fist, as it were. (You can also choose one of the other elemental Domains if you like; they work more or less the same.)

You're not going to have the scaling damage of your Eldritch Blast, but you'll have Cleric spellcasting and melee chassis, plus the domain blasting ability (it also grants resistance), and with Domain Strike you can channel it into a melee attack.

Feint's End
2014-06-24, 12:25 PM
Are you allowed/ would you be OK with psionics? There are few ways to do what you want using different classes there. Energy claws to get the damage on melee + energy ray to fall back on if you need ranged.
You can also get a halfface quite easily.

Malreave
2014-06-24, 12:47 PM
the cleric option could work though the party have the grand idea that "clerics are healers" and refuse to budge on it I am not sure if thats for trolling reasons or what, as for psionics they are allowed and I dont mind using them.

and just to clear up another of my failiers to communicate the aim is not to make Natsu exactly he just happens to resemble what the original character could do though to be exact Zancro (tenrojima arc) is more accurate.

Eldaran
2014-06-24, 01:01 PM
Check out the Cryptic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/cryptic), it's a great class and the Disrupt Pattern ability is very similar to Eldritch Blast. The Brutal Disruptor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/cryptic/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/brutal-disruptor) archetype allows you to use Disrupt Pattern on your melee attacks.

Red Fel
2014-06-24, 01:02 PM
the cleric option could work though the party have the grand idea that "clerics are healers" and refuse to budge on it I am not sure if thats for trolling reasons or what, as for psionics they are allowed and I dont mind using them.

and just to clear up another of my failiers to communicate the aim is not to make Natsu exactly he just happens to resemble what the original character could do though to be exact Zancro (tenrojima arc) is more accurate.

I hate that impression of Clerics. Show them how bad you are at healing by taking only Fire spells and buffs. See the suckers stop laughing when you reveal that yes, with sufficient quantities of fire, everything burns.

Again, an option is to take Monk. Be aware that Monk, even in Pathfinder, is a hideously sub-optimal class, and won't do a lot for your blasting abilities. That said, it will give you Stunning Fist, a ki pool, and your flurry of blows, among other abilities. Again, there is the Monk of the Four Winds (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/monk-of-the-four-winds) archetype, which replaces your Stunning Fist with Elemental Fist, which you can use a number of times per day equal to your Monk level. (You can still take Stunning Fist as a feat, once you satisfy the prereqs, later on.)

If you want something a bit more flavorful, the Oread race has access to the Student of the Stone (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-oread/student-of-the-stone-monk-oread) archetype, which is less mobile but more tank-y. It grants you various protections against crits and damage, and later on access to the Shaitan Style (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shaitan-style-combat-style)/Skin (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shaitan-skin-combat)/Earthblast (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shaitan-earthblast-combat) chain of feats. Note, however, that this archetype is incompatible with Monk of the Four Winds, and that it is possible to take Shaitan Style/Skin/Earthblast without being a Student of the Stone. Again, it's a flavor-over-mechanics thing. However, the Oread's ability to increase his crit range is a bit awesome.

Yet another option is to build a Magus with an Unarmed Strike focus. (Perhaps a modification of the Kensai (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/kensai) archetype?) Basically, you'd be a blaster with unarmed strikes. Messy but possible.

Bloodgruve
2014-06-24, 02:12 PM
Are you allowed/ would you be OK with psionics? There are few ways to do what you want using different classes there. Energy claws to get the damage on melee + energy ray to fall back on if you need ranged.
You can also get a halfface quite easily.

This^

-or-

Psychic Warrior with Feral Warrior path. Claws of the Beast can be augmented for more and more damage and last for hrs/lvl. Throw on size increases and Improved Natural Attack for more damage.

They also have a pretty good powers list, just try to kick up your daily power points if you can.

Blood~

Feint's End
2014-06-24, 02:28 PM
Ok so here a few psionic ways to do it.

Cryptic with Brutal Disrupter Archetype. You can use your disrupt pattern on range and through your melee attacks for devastating results. You have decent defense but very good out of combat utility (intimidate especially but there are other good socialskills too) while being strong in combat. You can even get Claws of the Beast and Bite of the Wolf via UT or EK to be a Natural Weapons Fighter. Featwise you basically need nothing important but if you go natural weapon you will need to pick up some stuff through feats.
Brutal Disrupter have very high damage potential and get only beaten by very few classes.

Psywar. Straight forward. Use Meditant if you want to fight unarmed / with natural weapons / with monk weapons or regular Psywar if you want to go armed. Grab Diplomacy through a trait and have some decent charisma to be the partyface too. Use Energy Claws / Weapon to get some bonusdamage and Energy Rays for ranged combat.
I personally love Psywars because they are a wonderfully designed class with a very smooth powercurve and great flexibility (hey ... nothing stops you from using your bonusfeats on EK and pick anything you like from the Psions list with the same ML a Psion of equal level would have).

Wilder. Well with Wild Surge you have an at will attack though I don't recommend using it a lot (exception is blasting Wilder). Use Energy Ray for Ranged Combat and get other stuff you need from UT or EK (being human helps here). You have Charisma synergy, good blasting and good meleeing though you will be featstarved for the powers you need to pick up via EK (educated wilder helps here).
Definetely a good way to do it.

Psion. Psions actually make pretty decent natural weapon fighters if you grab Claws of the Beast and Bite of the Wolf via UT. Be a Egoist and you start off with 4 natural weapons (2 from claws, 1 from bite, 1 from metamorphosis). You can solve the problem of your low HP with the usual share pain/vigor combo on your psicrystal. The problem on your to hit can be solved by using buff powers such as combat transmutation.
Definitely one of the most powerful options since while your feats are pretty much locked for the first few levels you have the regular Psion progression. Nothing stops you from getting utility and out of combat powers.

Soulknife. Soulknifes (including Deadly Fist) work great but for real feral feal you have to pick the Feral Heart Archetype. You lack the ranged capability but you get a very very strong close combat fighter with a nice Mind/Feral Feel. Might be too far off your idea though.

Aegi, Dread can also work decently but require a little more work depending on what you want to have (Aegis could work without too much work).

Hope that helped.

edit: I should note that Cryptics, Psywars, Psions and Wilder can all reach absurd levels of damage (at least in PF) all by themselves (as in double as much as Barbarians can do) so you don't even need to optimise that much to get a decent return.

The way to get the most attacks is btw Claws of the Beast, Bite of the Wolf, Metamorphosis (As high as you can get for 3 extra attacks), Form of Doom
The great thing is you can get those 4 on all of above mentioned classes so it mainly depends on which chassis you want and what you want to be able to do without them.

Malreave
2014-06-24, 02:39 PM
I did a quick google into the soulknife as I wanted to be sure you were not joking as the D&D 3.5 version is just so sadly bad much like other WotC stuff, and found this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?203014-3-P-Sharpening-the-Mind-A-Guide-to-the-Pathfinder-Soulknife) and it seems to look like it may lead to close to what I am aiming for, I will also play about with some builds for the others so thanks for the help so far much appreciated :D

Feint's End
2014-06-24, 02:49 PM
I did a quick google into the soulknife as I wanted to be sure you were not joking as the D&D 3.5 version is just so sadly bad much like other WotC stuff, and found this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?203014-3-P-Sharpening-the-Mind-A-Guide-to-the-Pathfinder-Soulknife) and it seems to look like it may lead to close to what I am aiming for, I will also play about with some builds for the others so thanks for the help so far much appreciated :D

Oh I can fully recommend the PF Soulknife. It also has very nice powercurve from 1-20 and if you add Gifted Blade you even become a mini manifester. With a trait you even have ML 20 so you can get all the good stuff with EK.

If you are looking into it and you like it consider opening a new threat because Psyrens handbook is sadly quite outdated especially since Ultimate Psionics added new archetypes and great options like the Dark Tempest Prestige Class which lets you multiclass with a fullmanifester without loosing any mindbladeprogression (or lets say it's delayed by 1).