PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Balance point for passive and expended effects?

Qwertystop
2014-06-24, 10:33 AM
That's about it, really. I'm working on a homebrew class that will have abilities that are mostly passive boosts for the day, but some would have extra effects when expended (like... whasname, that divine spell that gives a really big skill boost once and a smaller boost until you use the big one). So basically spells, except it's all buffs that either last all day or have a short duration decided by the target (not immediately on casting). Some of the short-duration ones would have a smaller buff that's all-day until you use the big one.

The problem is in balancing availability. The powers in question would be budgeted a bit like psionics - that is, a resource pool instead of level-based spell slots. The main difference would be that the pool is time: you can spend up to eight hours (while sleeping) working out the next day's abilties, and when you wake up, they begin to take effect. At higher levels, you can prepare things faster, so you can have more or better things going. To compare to psionics, it's like if you had a set pool (480 minutes), and as you leveled, that stayed the same but all your point costs scaled down. I've more or less worked out the method (measure costs in generic "time units", one column of the class table says how long a time unit is for a given level). Unfortunately, I can't figure out what sort of things I should give for this or how to balance the time-costs or how the length of a unit should scale. Any tips? If it'd work better, I can just post the class over in the Homebrew forum, but I'd hoped not to do that until it was reasonably close to done.