PDA

View Full Version : Mutants & Masterminds question (3e)

weckar
2014-06-24, 10:49 AM
I was just leafing through the core rulebook, having a global skim to see whether I'd ever want to play it.... And suddenly near the end I realize I haven't seen any movement, adjacency, distance or positioning rules anywhere? Being a d20 game that was a bit... odd? Especially since a lot of effects have defined ranges. Is there just a chapter I am missing somewhere, orrrrr...?

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-24, 01:07 PM
I was just leafing through the core rulebook, having a global skim to see whether I'd ever want to play it.... And suddenly near the end I realize I haven't seen any movement, adjacency, distance or positioning rules anywhere? Being a d20 game that was a bit... odd? Especially since a lot of effects have defined ranges. Is there just a chapter I am missing somewhere, orrrrr...?

Range rules are found at the start of Chapter 6 (page 95, to be precise).
Movement is in Chapter 8, pp 196, when actions are being described.

There's nothing like AoO's or flanking in the game, so exact positions are a lot less important. Especially when you have characters moving at a thousand miles an hour.

weckar
2014-06-24, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I suppose you're right. It does boil down rather well to just a few tables...

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-24, 02:17 PM
It's pretty cinematic combat, yeah. I've found the game works best when the GM has characters getting hurled through walls and scenery exploding everywhere. You've never felt badass until you've been punched halfway across the city, had a building collapse on your head, burst out of the wreckage and continued the fight without a moment's pause.

sideswipe
2014-06-24, 06:31 PM
if you use models and a squared board in M&M then your doing it wrong. i personally love the system. and its all about imagining the combat. and not "i move to this exact tactically advantageous square to get max combat control".
its easy enough to control combat without that :smallwink: