PDA

View Full Version : Ravenloft Awaits (IC, Group C)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

miinstrel
2014-06-24, 05:27 PM
http://www.miscellaneoushi.com/thumbnails/detail/20121024/night%20forest%202560x1600%20wallpaper_www.miscell aneoushi.com_37.jpg

Barovia. The valley between realms. For many centuries the demiplane had been used as a shortcut between distant lands to speed trade along the time-worn roads. To enter this land you must pass along one of several roads during the full moon. There are no portals or signs to Barovia. You're told eventually a mist will blanket the path and just when you feel you've lost your way, you will break through the other side into a forested vale that looks much like one you might find near your home.

... But use of the Barovian shortcut has fallen out of fashion of late. The last hundred years have seen decreasing traffic, tales of wolves, bandits, and foul beasts weeping from survivors' tongues to mingle with the blood of friends and family staining their tunics.

You have approached one of these roads a few nights ahead of the full moon for your own reasons. Looking around, you see the area expectedly devoid of life save four other travelers (the other PCs) also waiting for their opportunity to pass through the forested tunnel. An ominous breeze sets the leaves rustling as you join the others and wait for the silvery light to beckon you forth.

Feel free to introduce yourselves. You arrive in the order of posting. Once everyone has at least one IC post up and there's a bit of a lull in the conversation I'll move things forward.

Venger
2014-06-26, 12:09 PM
Monty stalks along the lonely path. He steps lightly, balancing on slim ankles, setting one foot before the other in a fresh set of tracks.

"WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING?" an ever-present voice in his mind chides. The millstone round his neck.

"Locate Maurgens," Monty says. "Then decide what comes after."

"WON'T GET FAR FOLLOWING YOUR OWN FOOTPRINTS!" screams the necklace beating against his chest with every footfall.

Monty curses as he looks to the outline of the footprints, indeed his own before he changed the shape of his bones to tread more lightly.

"Could've told me earlier," Monty murmurs.

Up ahead, he sees a group and tucks his necklace beneath the folds of his shirt.

"We've got company. You know the drill: I'm ignoring you, so shut your filthy mouth."

The shard of crystal says nothing worth repeating and Monty approaches the group.

Evening," he says with a tip of his Panama hat. What brings you to these parts?"

pife
2014-06-26, 01:21 PM
Stevor felt as though he had been plodding along this gods-forsaken trail for too long, but.. that's what the legends told him would happen. He is not a tall man, standing several inches shy of six feet, and was portly, with a healthy layer of padding, especially 'round the middle. His dark brown robes show sweatstains, and his breathing comes heavily. A large sword hilt rises over his right shoulder, and a silver chain disappears from his neck down the front of his robe. Come along, now Pips, he grumbles at the young mule whose lead rope he tugged on. All will be well. The beast was laden with several bulging saddlebags. Hanging from the saddlebags is a shining black shield, emblazoned with the skeletal arm and scales of Kelemvor, a small metal hook mounted on the front of the shield holding a shiny silver lantern.

Ahead, just off the dark path, Stevor notices a strapping young man. Glad tidings to you, fellow traveler. If you intend to make camp, might I join you? he asked hopefully. I'd be happy to share some ale and cheese with you.

Venger
2014-06-26, 01:38 PM
Certainly, fellow.

Monty makes room by the fire.

He unfastens a clasp on his necklace and set the jagged crystal on the ground.

A gewgaw to keep watch for us, should your beast need to rest. Name's Monty. What's yours, pilgrim?

pife
2014-06-26, 01:55 PM
Stevor, Doomguide of Kelemvor, at your service and pleased to make your acquaintance, the rotund priest says affably, holding a hand out to shake. After introductions, he ties Pips to a nearby tree, pulling some grain from a saddlebag and giving it to the mule via a nosebag. Removing the saddlebags from the mule, he begins to set up his blanket and bags near the fire, laying the shield and lantern next to it. If it is not too personal, where are you bound, friend?. Stevor busies himself removing and unwrapping a wheel of cheese, and a large flask and pair of wooden cups. He pours for the both of them, and offers Monty a cup, then sets to slicing the cheese with a small knife he produces from his bags, though he has a fine jeweled dagger at his side.

Venger
2014-06-26, 02:11 PM
Monty shakes his hand.

I am itinerant for the time being. Someone has lost her husband. I am to find him.

Monty accepts the cup and glances at Stevor's knife as it catches the firelight.

A mark of authority around Kelemvor, I gather? Are you with a constabulory or some sort? Perhaps you've heard of my quarry, Mr. Maurgens. My prior lead has come to an end

pife
2014-06-26, 04:34 PM
Stevor catches Monty's glance, and follows it to his dagger. This? No, definitely not, he chuckles. His laugh is deep and infectious. This was to be a wedding gift for my bride. His mirth subsides before he continues. She died before our wedding though. I've carried it ever since.

I suppose you could call us a constabulary, of sorts, Stevor agrees. Kelemvor finds the undead to be abominations. We Doomguides are tasked, in addition to our normal duties, with eradicating them wherever they may be found. His voice softens and deepens, and his hand unconsciously grips the hilt of the glittering dagger, his eyes falling out of focus as he gazes across the fire into the woods. Slim and dainty, it is definitely a woman's blade. Beyond that, we heal the sick, help the helpless, comfort the dying, and generally make everyone know that death is a natural part of life, and is not to be feared. Everything dies in it's appointed time. Embarrassed by his own proselytizing, Stevor also notes the deathgrip he has on the dagger and releases it.

Mr. Maurgens? He says the name again several times while pondering. I can't say that I have, I'm afraid. What has he done, if I may ask?

Venger
2014-06-26, 06:09 PM
Monty picks the crystal up and squeezes it hard enough for his knuckles to turn white. A worry stone.

I'm sorry to hear that

Monty nods politely as Stevor recites his pedigree.

Sounds like a noble profession. Maurgens has, to my knowledge, done nothing aside from disappear from the watchful eye of his wife. It is yet to be revealed if he did so of his own accord. Should he be alive and well with a new family, I should think it best to leave him be. If he lies in the belly of some beast, I will need to bring his ring back to Mrs. Maurgens.

He cuts a slice of cheese off the hunk with an edge of the crystal Stevor couldn't say for sure was there a moment ago.

I can't say I've had cause to cross one. They make poor trophies. Tell me, was she claimed by the thinkers or the doers?

ereinion
2014-06-26, 06:42 PM
A loud clanking becomes audible, and then a while later tall figure becomes visible on the path. He's dressed head to toe in metal, with two sword hilts protruding over his shoulder, and a morningstar hanging at his belt. A big red chesspiece is depicted on his tabard. He's leading a mule, but aside from it carrying a bedroll, and a couple of saddlebags which looks to be empty, he's not getting much use out of it.

As he notices the campsite, and the fellows sitting next to it, he removes the blank mask that's been covering his face before greeting them.

"A good evening to you, fellow travellers, I am Ludo Gainesford, holy strategist of Red Knight. Is it reasonable to assume that you too are headed for Barovia, from the road you have chosen to travel?

The Viscount
2014-06-26, 06:47 PM
Through the darkness a slim figure approaches the fire. Though he is by no means small, his limbs are long and slight, though he seems unaffected by the winds. He strides with a long walking stick in hand, and appears to have a large cloak of something cast about his shoulders. As he gets close enough to the fire he speaks, in a voice carrying a surprising amount of weight and years for one who stands unbent by time.

Fellow travelers, eh? It seems you are the wiser ones here, to travel in a group for safety.

As he comes into the light one sees a hatchet hanging loosely at his side. He is leaning gently on a spear, though he seems to be clutching it as a tool more than a weapon. He drives it head first into the ground with a quick thrust as he sits down before the fire, crossing his legs in a smooth motion, and the cloak about his shoulders drifts downwards until one sees that it is in fact a pair of off-white wings, speckled with brown. He reaches into a large bag made of thick, warty hide and pulls out two rabbits that seem almost too large to have fit in it. He begins skinning them with practiced motions with a small knife as he listens to the others, quickly cocking his head to turn his large eyes to each speaker.

Venger
2014-06-26, 07:02 PM
Monty looks to Kestrel, raising an eyebrow.

Evening, sir. He moves aside and makes room for him by the fire.

pife
2014-06-26, 09:25 PM
You can't have one without the other, Stevor remarked quietly. It was actually a cleric, who killed her and several other girls for sport, and infused them with his vile magic to make them zombies. The fire crackles loudly, but Stevor is looking through it. And you're right, they make awful trophies. Very smelly, he adds with a wry chuckle. For myself, I seek a book, reputed to be in Barovia. With it, wicked things may be done, and lives cut short. I aim to destroy it.

Stevor listens to Monty's mission, and laughs. Well, then.. It's hard to say which poor Mistress Maurgens hopes for more. That her husband was a lecher, but alive, or an honorable man, and dead. I pray that you find him. As long as our feet follow the same path, I hope you'll allow me to assist you in any small way that I may. But lo! Stevor stands, wedge of cheese in one hand, laughably small knife in the other.

They heard him long before they saw him. Stevor still stood near to the fire, cheese and knife in hand. As the sound was joined by the sight of the man in the dying light. Tymora smiles upon us, truly, he shares quietly with Monty. He waits for Ludo to introduce himself before bows his head in greeting, stringy brown beard brushing his robes. You are well met, Strategist. I am Stevor the Wolf, Doomguide of Kelemvor. Relax your burdens and join us, if it pleases you. Avail yourself of my cheese and ale, I am certain that walking under that weight must give one a powerful thirst. It is true, I seek the town of Barovia, and my new friend Monty.. Well, I shan't speak for him. Sit, please, and be welcome.

Stevor belches loudly, murmuring an apology. He had just finished sharing a story about a nest of ghouls that had risen in a family cemetery. And then the little boy said, "Truth, mother, great-uncle Ferridas never looked better, twas a shame he wanted to eat us... Stevor laughs loudly at his own story, and notes yet another traveler. Ah! I had never thought to find so much traffic on this desolate road in one night. Be welcome at this fire, sir. Please, help your self to my.. Are those.. are those coneys? Stevor licks his lips hopefully, and looks wistfully up at the sky. Truly the blessings of the gods are manifold and ever-present. You are more welcome to our camp than I can say! He fumbles in his bag for yet another cup, and fills it from his half-empty skin of ale. He holds it out gladly. I am Stevor. Make yourself quite at home, I beg you! I don't know that we are wise, but it does appear that we are lucky, especially if you intend to share those fine creatures. I happen to have some fine spices, should it please you to do so.

The Viscount
2014-06-26, 09:41 PM
Kestrel misinterprets the look on Monty's face, distracted by the task at hand.

Don't worry, I fully intend to share. Though if I knew there would be this many I would have tried to bring more.

He lays the skins out on a flat rock by the fire with a few moments of quiet murmurs before turning to separate meat from bone with the ease of familiarity. He then gives his attention back to the rest of the group.

I'm sorry, the long night has made me slow. You may call me Kestrel.

He skewers a large hunk and sets it before the fire.

I welcome your spices, Stevor. Please help yourselves.

Is there something special going on in Barovia to draw so many on a night like this?

Venger
2014-06-26, 11:38 PM
It seems we all come for our own purposes, Kestrel. What precisely brings you here? Monty says.

The Viscount
2014-06-26, 11:44 PM
The spirits are restless, and they are causing great trouble. The last I heard was of a few of the Lightbringers sending out a call for reinforcements, because they could not put things to rest themselves.

Venger
2014-06-26, 11:51 PM
"I see,"Monty says. He sets the crystal he's been turning round in his hand onto the ground.

"And which stripe, pray, are you hunting, sir?"He rests a hand over his heart.

"Thinkers, those who pull the strings"

and makes a clicking noise with his tongue. The crystal grows legs, skitters towards the fire, and throws another handful of twigs onto it before climbing back into Monty's hand and curling its legs back up around itself until they disappear.

He points at the inert crystal with two fingers.

"or doers? Those who do the work."

The Viscount
2014-06-27, 12:12 AM
I hunt nothing in Barovia. I hunted these rabbits so that I might live on their meat. The spirits have nothing that I want to take. I have come to try to find what has angered the spirits so that they bring up the bodies of the dead to harm the living. I wish to talk with the spirits to know what we can do to appease them. As for the others, if you are asking about the puppet masters, who would use the bodies of the dead for their own selfish gains, then we are talking of a very different matter. They are at best too stupid and at worst too cruel to pay the dead their proper respects. They anger the spirits with their carelessness. The puppet masters I fight.

For a brief moment anger flashes in Kestrel's eyes before he takes a deep breath.

But I do not know who it is at fault in Barovia. Either way we shall see when we get there.

pife
2014-06-27, 12:43 AM
Stevor chokes on a swallow of ale. The mention of spirits causing trouble is news to him. He opens his mouth to say so, when Monty's shiny rock grows legs and does chores. Using a fist to pound on his own chest, he coughs as he tries to start two sentences at once, while yelling in alarm at the same time. By the time he has settled the ale in the correct orifice, Kestral has once again astounded him. By Malar's moldy molars, what's this?!?! Suddenly he sits up straighter, his eyes lose the jovial languor that they had adopted, and once again, his fist is clenched around the jeweled dagger. Fair Master Kestrel, where do the spirits claim the source of their anger lies? It can fairly be said that he is positively bristling. Is Barovia the source of this travesty as well? It's that damnable BOOK, I tell you. Someone must have found it, and is using it's fell power to achieve some nefarious end. Kestral, I implore you, let us work together to settle the restless dead, both those in the flesh, those in the beyond.. Stevor pauses grimly. And those.. puppet masters, as you call them, who are soon to join them.

Venger
2014-06-27, 12:52 AM
"Yes. Some of these undead creatures are like that. Kill and eat. They pass on their curse to those they kill and procreate. Others leave their host intact the way that matters: mentally.

I suppose what I truly spoke of was agency. Some, like the necropolitan, are their own masters and can live their unlives for good or ill, while some are damned to be tools for whoever pulls most fervently on their strings.

They may be dangerous, and should they threaten one's life, there's little choice but to defend oneself. Still, I can bring myself to bear them no ill will. That I must reserve for those who still have the ability to make their own choices."

He turns to Stevor, drinking in his reactions with a stony expression.

"A toy. Nothing more or less." Monty winces as though hearing a sudden, high-pitched noise. He presses at a spot in the center of his forehead with the heel of his hand for a moment and lowers his hand just as quickly, hoping for it to pass unnoticed.

"It appears we have more in common than we thought, gentlemen," he says. His jaw is tight as though he's biting the inside of his cheek. "Down indeed with those puppet masters. There are few worse things to take away than one's will.

ereinion
2014-06-27, 12:58 PM
Upon hearing Stevor's invitation for him to sit and join the others around the fire, Ludo thanks him gratefully, and immedieately takes him up on his offer of a drink. Having gotten the worst of his thirst quenced, he excuses himself while he secures the mule to a nearby tree and provides some fodder and water for it.

Once this is done, and he returns to the fire, the mood seems a bit less jolly than when he first approached and another person has joined. When Ludo hears that the new arrival, Kestrel, also has been brought in by the Lightbringers call for help, he immediately sees the benefit to the two of them joining forces for taking down the undead threat he's been hired to take down.

Hmm, with some luck, there may be a chance the other two would join him too. At least Stevor seems to bear a strong grudge against the undead, and if I know my Kelemvorites, his faith will only have reinforced that inital hatred.

Ludo rather liked the doomguides - even if their task was a grim one, they were a dependable lot to have as allies. On the few occassions when he'd worked with them, he had enjoyed it.

The final person sitting there seemed a bit... different though, but hopefully he was coherent enough in mind not to be dangerous, even if his mannerisms and speech seemed a bit odd. Not to mention that strange magical item he'd got. Ludo squinted at it, trying to recall if he'd ever heard of anything similar. No matter, it would probably pay to keep an eye on this one.

Anyway, if he could make the lot of them become his allies, his task once he reached the village would be that much easier.

"That is some coincidence, I too was hired by the Lightbringers to bring aid to a paladin of theirs who is beset by zombies, and probably even worse in Barovia. Assuming your task is the same, it would make sense for us to join forces. Maybe you would join us too,"

Ludo nods at Stevor and Monty.

"While I don't expect you to take part in the mission we've been hired to do, I think it would be smart of us to travel together until our goals takes us in different directions. Especially considering that there are enough undead in the area we're entering to make even a cleric of the Lightbringers call for help!"

I don't expect you to partake in it, but who knows what happens when we come across the undead preying on the local populace, maybe then you will feel obliged to join in the purging the Lightbringers are attempting of the area.

He smiles to himself, certain that the Red Knight herself would be pleased with his attempt at garnering up more resources for his mission.

Venger
2014-06-27, 01:06 PM
Monty nods to Ludo.

"Yes, I think it prudent to accompany you. Truthfully, there is no real concern as far as time goes for my mission. By now, Maurgens is either alive, or he isn't. Having no active leads to pursue, one direction for me is as good as any other. Consider my resources at your disposal, sir."

To Stevor

[color="green"]"I had given the matter much thought myself over these last few weeks. I believe the fairest compromise is to split the difference: should I find him to be a mere philanderer, I will request his ring back from him and tell his wife he has been lost to the sands of time.There would be no happiness for either should she wish to seek him out once he'd already taken a new life for himself.

Should he have perished, I can leave his ring where it lies and tell his unknowing widow that he lives, albeit in another woman's arms. Let her think she has lost nothing rather than curse herself for not being able to send help to her husband more swiftly.

ereinion
2014-06-27, 02:12 PM
"From what I've heard, it is a perilous region we're entering, so I am glad to have your help, Monty. I have to warn you though, the messenger who arrived at our church asking for help told us that this village in which Ashlyn is holed up is currently under some kind of curse, everyone who dies in it later rises as a zombie. So unless he is quite extraordinary it is likely that he's fallen to the shambling mases if that's where he went. I only pray the same won't be true for the paladin I've been sent to assist."

Ludo makes a gesture to ward of evil.

"If he is among those already belonging to the walking dead, I think you'll have your task cut out for you, it will also mean our missions overlap that much more."

Ludo grins.

This is going great!

Venger
2014-06-27, 02:44 PM
Monty smirks.

I admire your good cheer. I hope to see it still once our mission is begun

ereinion
2014-06-27, 03:08 PM
"Getting down about the prospect of your mission is a great way to fail, even before starting, The Lady of Strategy teaches us to do our utmost to keep up both our own and our allies' morale. It didn't look like you were too worried about the difficulty of your task when I first arrived here anyway?"

Venger
2014-06-27, 03:18 PM
"It appears the scope of my task has expanded. Fighting with the undead is somewhat more demanding than finding a lost man.

ereinion
2014-06-27, 03:37 PM
"That is true. However you must have had some suspicion that things aren't as they should be in this region, otherwise why wouldn't the woman just search for her man herself?"

Venger
2014-06-27, 03:43 PM
Monty draws himself up with pride.

"I have something of a reputation in the area as an adept big game hunter. If you've ever been to the tavern, "Troll's Bridge," then you've seen my handiwork. A colleague of mine, Saul and I, showed him what for and brought him back to town. He looks much better stuffed.

Consequently, the possible widow Maurgens likely believed my own chances of finding her husband safely were better than her own.

Suffice it to say, should we run into trouble, you'll find I'm stronger than I look

ereinion
2014-06-27, 04:22 PM
"Ah, so what you mean to say is that you're almost looking forward to testing your mettle! I only worried because you seemed to be very concerned about our chances."

Ludo smiles happily at the news, it seems he's come across a solid group of travel companions.

"Tell me more about this troll you say you've fougt - I thought they regenerated, how did you manage to overcome that, and still keep it intact enough to be put on display afterwards."

Venger
2014-06-27, 04:52 PM
"Ah, so what you mean to say is that you're almost looking forward to testing your mettle! I only worried because you seemed to be very concerned about our chances."

Ludo smiles happily at the news, it seems he's come across a solid group of travel companions.

"Tell me more about this troll you say you've fougt - I thought they regenerated, how did you manage to overcome that, and still keep it intact enough to be put on display afterwards."

Yes. That's precisely what I'm saying. I feel comfortable saying it will be different from what you've seen in battlefields past.

Indeed. Consequently, my companion and I had to pursue more unorthodox methods of execution for the beast. I was able to reach into his thick skull and engage him in a duel of the minds. It didn't last long. A few choice words and he was down.

Saul stood guard and gave him the occasional jab with a sharp stick when he showed signs of life. Like mighty Herakles of old and the Nemean lion, I knew I couldn't penetrate his hide, so strangled him to death as a snake does. Saul and I were able to get him back to the tavern before sunrise, in case he was the kind who turned to stone come daybreak

ereinion
2014-06-27, 05:41 PM
"That is truly an amazing story, I wish I could have been there to see it!"

"It is going to be interesting to see how well you fare on the battlefield!"

Venger
2014-06-27, 05:54 PM
If you and I are ever in the town, you'll dine there as my guest. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

ereinion
2014-06-27, 06:02 PM
"Oh, I am very impressed already. You show a great ability to improvise, and make use of the resources you have available. And the attack on its mind show some forethought too."

Surreptiously Ludo slips a hand into his backpack.

"You wouldn't by any chance be a chess player"?

Beaming with anticipation Ludo presents the playingboard to Monty.

Venger
2014-06-27, 06:09 PM
In the circles one in my sphere runs in, you pick a few things up, Monty humbly brags.

He crushes his fist around his crystal and the tip grows a hook, like a croupier's tool.

Your move, friend

ereinion
2014-06-27, 06:18 PM
Thrilled to have found someone to play with, quickly sets up the board, and opens with a Ruy Lopes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruy_Lopez)"

Expectantly looking across the board, he awaits Monty's next move.

"That is a peculiar item you've come across, my friend"

He indicates the crystal.

"I'd be very interested in hearing what it is..."

Venger
2014-06-27, 06:28 PM
I'm sure. Something a terrible woman I used to work for took out of my brain. A crystallized little piece of filth built up there like a kidney stone. It was everything I hated and feared about myself. Everything holding me back. That's why I carry it around. To remind myself how far I've come. That the only thing ever holding a man back is himself.

Monty pushes his pieces around with the crystal, opening up with the Nimzovich-Larsen attack, since he seems to be playing black.

After a few more salvos from both sides, the game ends in a stalemate.

Zugzwang, Monty says. A valiant effort He extends a hand to shake.

ereinion
2014-06-27, 06:54 PM
"Hmm, that sounds rather odd, I don't think I've ever heard of an item like that before, if you'll excuse me saying so. So in a way it is a part of yourself?"

"Overcoming one's weaknesses is something I approve of, no matter how one chooses to approach it. You may not believe this, but if it hadn't been for a very special man helping me overcome my own weaknesses, I would probably have been dead or worse today."

Ludo shakes Monty's hand happily, after the game,

"It was a pleasure to play with you, it is all too seldom that I come across a worthy opponent on the road! I knew I saw something special in you when I first laid eyes on you."

"We have to do this again some time!"

Venger
2014-06-27, 06:57 PM
It isn't something you can purchase in a store. It once was a part of me, but no longer, like a tumor.

I believe it.

Monty shakes his hand.

Indeed we must,

WhamBamSam
2014-06-27, 07:52 PM
A raven flies over the clearing, perching itself on a tree branch just at the outskirts. In short order, a man appears on the road, walking toward the campfire. He grins at Monty with blackened teeth and says "Monty! It is you! How've you been? Still hunting monsters for fun and profit?"

He then looks around at the others sitting round the campfire. His smile doesn't falter, but his teeth turn back from black to white. "And who are all of these lovely people?"

Venger
2014-06-27, 07:55 PM
Monty turns around at the squawk of the raven.

"I'd know that sound anywhere. Where the turnfeather lurks, Saul isn't far behind.

How are you, old friend?"

He shrugs.

Unfortunately, too much of one, not enough of the other. I'll leave you to work out the specifics.

Fellow travelers all. It seems that we're heading in the same direction. I wouldn't be surprised if you are as well. Tell me, what brings you here?

WhamBamSam
2014-06-27, 08:32 PM
"Oh, you know, the usual. I heard the locals were having some trouble with undead and other dark powers, and figured I could help make those problems go away."

Venger
2014-06-27, 08:35 PM
Ha! Glad to hear it. No man I'd rather have at my side to help disappear a few dark powers

pife
2014-06-27, 10:12 PM
May Tymora provide us with a chance to rescue the paladin, who does such a noble and worthy deed. I agree. I offer my services to you, such as they are, until such time that fate or the will of Kelemvor shall strive to part us. I would count it an honor to perform works such as these.

After eating his fill and chatting with the three who arrived first, Stevor had excused himself, and gone to his blankets. Once there, he reached into his pack, and retrieved a small book. He fetches his lantern, lighting it with smooth, practiced motions, and sets it on the ground beside him. Opening the book to near the middle, he clears his throat, and softly begins to read aloud. Every so often, his hand brushes the handle of the lantern but never for long. And it was only then that the burglar realized that he was hearing footsteps that were not his own as he crept through the darkened halls of the Duke's manor. With each step he took, a second soft rasp, of leather upon wood could be heard. His breath caught, and he turned his head ever so slowly... He continues to read, quietly but with great animation.

He pauses for a moment when the chess match begins, a thick finger holding his place in the story. When the game ends, he resumes his quiet recitation. Stevor looks up as the rest of the group notices the new arrival. He places a small ribbon in the book, sets it back inside his pack, and stands to greet him. Meeting a friend on the road is a rare blessing, Monty. It is my pleasure to greet you.. Saul, is it? The chubby priest fetches the last clean cup he owns, and opens a second flask of ale, as the first lay limp and empty near his gear. Quench your thirst, my good man. Drink, and be welcome. I believe there is a smidgen of cheese remaining, but I don't know if any of the fine rabbit Master Kestral provided remains.

Venger
2014-06-28, 12:02 AM
"Have you met this paladin? He sounds like quite the character.

ereinion
2014-06-28, 09:18 AM
Greeting the new arrival, Ludo smiles and raises his hand for a handshake.

"It is nice to meet you Saul, the more the merrier, I say, and as I just told your friend Monty here, from what I hear it is dangerous country we travel into."

As he is asked about the paladin, he turns his head back to Monty, before letting him know what he knows about her.

"I don't know much, all I've heard is from the messenger who arrived at our church. He told us that the paladin, Ashlyn, had been sent to Barovia to investigate an undead disturbance. Unfortunately the threat was more dire than she anticipated, and her group was being overrun. A plague had befallen the village, causing any killed by it to rise again as a zombie. Thus they have sent out messages requesting aid, and one of those has brought me here today."

miinstrel
2014-06-28, 12:18 PM
You carry on with your conversations until your eyes grow heavy and dry from the campfire smoke. The clouds break overhead and the forest floor is filled with twisting shadows painted by the entwined branches overhead. Looking up you see the moon is a softly glowing sphere, slightly yellowed as though made of ancient paper. The way the clouds play across its surface you could swear it’s looking at you with a sadistic grin. Brushing the thought from your mind, you pack your gear and stretch your joints before venturing forth along the path. The full moon has come; it's time.

As promised, a few hundred feet in you find yourself surrounded by a cold, cloying fog that seems to drip down the back of your tunic. You can barely see the man in front of you. Above all, you get the eerie sense of being watched as though the mist were alive, beckoning you forward for its own ends. Relief sets in as you step out of the fog twenty very long minutes later. Ahead stands a rickety building in need of several repairs - you note a broken step, dangling shutter on the second floor, and several bare sections of roof, the shingles lying haphazardly around the base of the building - but still serviceable. Lights flicker inside and you can see the shadows of people moving about. The sign out front reads “The Weary Horse Inn” in carved letters whose paint has all but faded.

Venger
2014-06-28, 12:25 PM
I wonder what kind of stuffed beast will greet us inside. Shall we, gentlemen?

WhamBamSam
2014-06-28, 01:22 PM
"Thank you." Saul says, accepting the ale from Stevor. He resists the urge to sniff at the ale before drinking, it, reminding himself that he has little to fear from poisoning anyway.

He lowers the flask from his lips, and extends his free right hand to shake Ludo's. "Likewise. It's always good to have a bit of extra backup. No sense in dying all alone."

Saul sits down by the fire to eat a bit of what remains of the meal. As he does so, his raven takes wing from the tree it had been perched in to circle around the clearing and survey the surrounding area.

EDIT: When we reach the inn:

Saul looks at the dubious building with suspicion. He sends his raven to peer into some of the windows and generally look around the place.

Venger
2014-06-28, 01:23 PM
What does that beast of yours see, old friend? Nothing dangerous, I hope.

pife
2014-06-28, 03:02 PM
As the clouds part to reveal the moon, Stevor takes the time to don his armor, requesting a hand with straps and buckles. He repacks his gear carefully, makes sure Pips has a small drink of water from his waterskin, dumping it into his helmet and holding it for the mule to drink. Once all of his equipment is prepared, he wipes out the inside of the helmet, and puts it on. Stevor hangs the now darkened lantern from the small metal hook on the front of his shield, and prepares to leave with everyone else.

He labors quietly through the fog, trying to keep his mind from descending to dark thoughts. He maintains a firm grip on the lead rope of his mule and stays close to the others as they lumber through the disorienting curtain of haze whose chill seeps into his bones, stiffening his joints.

Once they emerge, the last tendrils of mist swirling around their feet, Stevor breaths a deep sigh, and raises his eyes to the heavens, murmuring thanks to Kelemvor for allowing them to arrive without incident. He peers at the run down wayhouse, and looks for tracks on the ground near the entrance, to determine roughly the type and number of recent passers-by.

[roll0]

ereinion
2014-06-28, 03:13 PM
I wonder what kind of stuffed beast will greet us inside. Shall we, gentlemen?
Ludo grins back at Monty.

"Let us!"

miinstrel
2014-06-28, 04:48 PM
You count at least 4 different footprints in the dirt outside the dilapidated building going both in and out. All humanoid from the look of it. A couple tracks go around the back of the building and there are old footprints that go further down the road.

Your raven flies up and perches on the sagging rail around the front porch and peers in the window. It sees a large female human serving drinks to three men sitting at a table near the stairs. There are four other tables in the building, all empty, and a swinging door that you presume leads into the kitchen.

The Viscount
2014-06-28, 08:47 PM
I did not mean to alarm you Stevor. The message I received said nothing about why, only that they were causing trouble. I cannot pretend to know what has the spirits so up in arms. I have been a spirit-talker for 50 years, and I still cannot predict their behaviors. Rest assured I mean to find out. I have faith we can all work together to get to the root of the matter.

Kestrel quickly rises as the path clears, gently placing the hides inside his bag. As he rises, one notices that the few things he carries on his person are all he brought. He takes slow care as he dumps earth over the remains of the fire, murmuring quietly as he goes through the motions. He looks up to the group, aware of his own slowness.

Sorry. It reassures the trees to know for certain that the fire is out.

As they approach the inn Kestrel takes in the scene with quick jerks of his head, at some points appearing to stare past the building itself to something beyond it. He looks back to the group and starts at the alacrity with which Saul's raven follows his commands.

Your bird is amazingly responsive. Are you one who speaks to the animals?

Anything come up through detect spirits?

pife
2014-06-28, 09:29 PM
Stevor stands from his investigation of the tracks around the front of the inn. Just a handful here, it would seem, and nothing alarming, at least to first glance. Shall we enter?

Venger
2014-06-28, 09:31 PM
Yes, I think we shall.

WhamBamSam
2014-06-28, 10:06 PM
"It's safe enough as far as I can tell. Nothing appears to be too out of the ordinary."

Saul turns to Kestrel. "Not exactly. Let's just say I'm a spirit-talker of sorts myself."

miinstrel
2014-06-29, 12:41 PM
No pings on Detect Spirits either out here or when you venture inside.

You tie up your mules to the posts outside before ascending the few treacherous steps. Under the silvery light of the moon, a fog creeps across the land clutching everything in its clammy grasp. Inside the Weary Horse Inn, however, the fire is warm enough.You open the door with a creak and find several sullen faces staring at you a little boldly, obviously assessing you newcomers. One woman is just setting down fresh ales for a trio of gents at one table. Another pair comes down from upstairs and sits in the corner talking quietly. Eventually they all turn back to their soft conversations after your entrance.

For an inn’s common room, it’s quiet. It holds no more than a handful of customers. They keep their voices low, and even the clink of their mugs seems subdued by the fog rolling in outside. A table against the front window is open and would provide you a view of your mules outside. As you sit the portly woman approaches and in a rumbling alto asks, "Evenin' gents. Not many visitors on the road these days. What can I getcha? Bread's fresh from this morning and the ale ain't nothin' fancy but it'll wet ya well enough. Rooms for the night?" She looks curiously at Kestrel but doesn't comment on his avian appearance.

pife
2014-06-29, 01:45 PM
I believe that would be well, at least for me. Shall we, gents? Stevor doesn't fancy traveling this trail at night, if he can help it. He sets his lantern on the table, and his shield he props up on the table leg next to his seat. I am certain that your ale will be quite adequate. Please, one for each of us, as Stevor fudge several silver pieces from his belt pouch. How much do you let your rooms for?

ereinion
2014-06-29, 02:40 PM
"Yeah, I'd like a room for the night as well as some of your best stout. I think I'll skip the bread for now, as I had a bite to eat not too long ago."

Ludo plonks a piece of gold onto the table, before he nods at the rest of the tavern.

"It's a morose crowd you've got here, are you having any troubles in these parts?`"

miinstrel
2014-06-29, 03:00 PM
"Two gold ones for each of ya; that'll cover yer meals too." She collects your coinage as she answers the other question. "Eh, none too much here. Wolves come 'round now an' again but nothin' serious-like. Il'l be back with yer ales an' some food."

No sooner is the woman gone than you hear the tromp of hooves outside. When the door swings open again, every head turns to see who has arrived…
This new fellow loudly stamps the mud off his boots in the doorway as he looks around the room. He strides confidently over, throwing a letter down on the table in front of you. “Village of Barovia is needing rescue,” he says in a thick Vistani accent (OOC: think Russian speaking broken English). ”I guess you do as good as any.” Without another word, he turns to leave. You may still catch him before he gets outside if you like.

For the state of the inn, 2 gold per head is pretty steep. You would expect accommodations of this level to run more in the 5 silver range, maybe a gold piece including meals.
... Although supply and demand play a key role in the pricing of services. With how far out this is from any major city she can gouge travelers a bit. With the mists you would bet most would prefer to pay a little more than sleep in the woods.
The Vistani are a traveling people that live in the vale. Elsewhere in the world they would be called gypsies.
They have a camp down by the Tser Pool off the river of the same name toward the center of the Barovian valley. It's said they can get in and out of the valley with ease where others have great difficulty.
They are known for their… discretion. When trade flowed through Barovia, the Vistani assisted travelers with quietly moving merchandise from one end to the other.

ereinion
2014-06-29, 03:17 PM
"Please wait, my good man," Ludo tells the messenger, hoping to stop him before he leaves."What does it need rescuing from, and who sent you to fetch help?"

WhamBamSam
2014-06-29, 03:39 PM
Saul looks over toward Monty, eyebrows raised. "Well, what d'ya think. Warm shelter, ale, and the first real bed in who knows how long, or follow some random stranger out into the night to rush unprepared into some horrific danger?"

He laughs, and steps toward the door. "Nah, I'm kidding. This is what we're here for after all. Still, I'd rather not walk in blind if I can avoid it." He rushes after the mysterious man and catches him just as he's about to exit the inn.

"Excuse me sir, before we head out, would you mind telling us what exactly is happening in Barovia?"

Diplomacy: [roll0]

The Viscount
2014-06-29, 04:12 PM
Kestrel meets the barmaid's gaze as if in challenge, but breaks the stare, eyes widening when she mentions the price. It seems like city life gets more expensive every time I encounter it.

[roll0]

He stares at the note thrown on the table briefly, then snatches it as he follows the others to the door.

miinstrel
2014-06-29, 05:59 PM
"Letter is from burgomaster. That is all I know. Many moanings coming from town. My journeys take me through Barovia, but I do not live there. Village's troubles are not my troubles. They pay me to find them heroes. This I have done." He pulls the hood of his cloak up over his head and places a hand on the doorknob. "Village is full day's walk west. You would do well to leave at first light. They say the Svalich woods are not safe at night." He looks at you intently for a moment as you obviously wonder why he is planning to ride off tonight then. He emotes nothing, looking at you with a cold, hard face before disappearing out the door, mounting his horse, and riding back the way he came.

pife
2014-06-29, 06:21 PM
Stevor's mouth hangs open in surprise from the moment the man dropped the letter, to the moment he walked out the door. He huffs.

Well, it's poor community spirit like this that lets an area go to the dogs, I say! Stevor is less than impressed with the man's sense of civic duty. Tyr's teeth, I suppose that we don't look like wool merchants, but how would he know that we are heroes, or even heroic? That's just laziness. I certainly hope they didn't pay him very much. His skills as a messenger are sorely lacking!

A full day's walk, eh? Would that we had horses. But, as soon wish for wings, I suppose. Well, all, I'm willing to traipse off into the night if we must, but, given the distance, a night's sleep and daylight to travel in sounds more likely to produce good results upon our arrival, what say you?

ereinion
2014-06-29, 06:26 PM
"We'll achieve more if we are somewhat rested when we arrive, there is little point in stumbling off into the night, exhausting ourself, before what may be a very tough battle. Even more so if we'll get delayed by whatever creatures it is that makes the woods dangerous."

"I agree with you Stevor, we should stay the night here, and rather try to set out early tomorrow morning."

"But I am quite interested in hearing what that letter has to say," Ludo finishes, indicating the letter Kestrel snatched up.

The Viscount
2014-06-29, 06:34 PM
I consider it fortunate that we were here to receive the letter, even if he did not seem concerned who received it.

At Stevor's comments, Kestrel tosses his head back in deep, raspy laughter.

You are better off wishing for a horse, Stevor. Though the joy of flight is without parallel, wings are not nearly as convenient as you would think.

I agree that we should set out for Barovia in the morning. In the meantime, let us see what this letter says.

Venger
2014-06-29, 07:12 PM
Monty nods at the group's assessment of the situation.

Yes, we would likely be better served should we set out in the morning. You may find the company you seek elsewhere, Saul," he says with a knowing wink.

miinstrel
2014-06-29, 07:13 PM
The letter is sealed with fresh red wax, a stark contrast to the unusually aged paper. The parchment is deeply yellowed though not yet brittle - it looks and feels like it was written 30 years ago. The text, a sharp, flowing script, reads as follows:

Hail to thee of might and valor:
I, a lowly servant of the township of Barovia, send honor to thee. We plead for they who so desperately need assistance within our community.
The legions of Hell itself are at our gates! The dead rise up from their graves and seek to drag us down with them! Not content to slaughter us in our homes, they spread the taint of their horrible curse, so that those they kill join their numbers!
There is much wealth in this community. I offer all that might be had to thee and thy fellows if thou shalt but answer my desperate plea.
Come quickly, for our time is at hand! All that I have shall be thine!

Kolyan Indirovich,
Burgomaster of Barovia

It looks as though the signature and the body of the letter, while close to the same script, were written by different people.

Venger
2014-06-29, 07:18 PM
Monty indicates the signature.

We should likely tread carefully. It may be a trap

pife
2014-06-29, 07:42 PM
And look how old this paper is, Stevor adds, fingering the edge of the parchment. It could mean something, or it could mean nothing, but it does make one wonder. That being said, there is nothing for it but to head to Barovia in the morning with all haste, and hope that there are still some poor souls to save. I shall pray for them.

As well as food and ale, plus the room for the night, Stevor asks that his two ale-flasks be refilled as well. For the road, he chuckles unashamedly. By the way, good woman, he asks the serving woman. You wouldn't happen to have several horses for sale or rent, or know where such could be procured with any haste, would you?

ereinion
2014-06-29, 07:48 PM
"Well, it does coincide with our current mission anyway, and I have never been one to turn down additional rewards for the risks I take. Apart from that the contents of the letter does not differ much from what we already knew."

Ludo squints at the signature, as Monty points it out, comparing it to the script in the rest of the letter.

"Hmm, it does look to be written by different people. The age of the paper is rather curious too. But who knows, if the city is as wealthy as the burgermeister claims it too be, maybe he has an assistant?"

"It would be a strange way to draw someone into a trap anyway, to say their town is overrun by the undead, that'll just make the ambushees arrive armed to the teeth, looking for potential attackers every step of the way."

"This plague he speaks of concerns me, though, I have not heard of the dead rising in this way before."

He turns to Stevor.

"You, as a cleric of Kelemvor probably know a lot more about the undead than I do. Have you heard of the dead rising in such a way before?"

miinstrel
2014-06-29, 08:36 PM
"Sure thing, dearie. The road ale's on the house. Most business I seen in a while." She leans into your table and speaks quietly, "And ta be honest, some fresh company's a treat."
"I heard that ya old bag!" pipes up one of the three at the other table.
"Ahh, Strahd take ya! You can shovel the stable in the mornin!"
The man grumbles and returns to his conversation with the other two who quirk their eyebrows in a "what did you expect" expression.

"We just got the one horse 'ere, an' he's more of a worker than a rider anyway. Reckon you'd be needin' five of 'em. Sorry lads. Best I can do is have yer breakfast ready first thing so's you can be on yer way early."

There are plenty of unnatural beasts that spawn their own vile progeny. Shadows and wraiths are the most common, both incorporeal, the former hailing from the Plane of Shadow and the other born of evil and darkness. There are others too: wights, vampires... Another that comes to mind is the vargouille: a bodyless head with wings from the outer planes that paralyzes its victims before kissing them to begin an agonizing process by which they slowly transform into another vargouille.

Venger
2014-06-29, 08:45 PM
Strahd? Do any of you know of this figure? It might not be wise to ask a local. Out ourselves as fools in case he's some local big wig.

pife
2014-06-29, 08:58 PM
Well, stout Ludo, there are several abominations that can do just what you suggest. Though there is normally some mortal agency that empowers such a transformation, it is rare, though not unheard of for these sort of infestations to begin without any noticeable catalyst. It's one of the reasons that the Doomguides exist, to be frank. It is our duty to find, and then put down these abhorrent facsimiles of life wherever they can be found. Stevor pauses, brow furrowed with worry. Of course, this causes an even larger problem, one exacerbated by the time it will take us to get there. If this event is able to perpetuate itself, recruiting the unlucky victims, the situation can quickly get out of hand.

Stevor is gracious when the innkeeper makes her generous offer, laying a third gold piece atop the two that he had already set out. Your generosity is most appreciated, my lady. Pray, does the town of Barovia hold within it's borders a church, to your knowledge? One with a priest that wields the power of the gods to defend his flock, perchance? Turning to his friends, by way of explanation, Stevor expounds; If such a person exists there, the church might be the most likely place to find survivors. The ground will usually be consecrated, and if the priest there has adequate skill, a church can often be held as a bastion against those that draw their power from the darker planes.

Venger
2014-06-29, 09:03 PM
That seems an appropriate place to start, Stevor

miinstrel
2014-06-29, 09:07 PM
"Thank ye kindly m'lord," she utters taking the coin graciously.
"Aye they got a chapel there." Putting her hand to her chin she continues, "Worships... Ehlonna? 'At's the one with the unicorn horse right?"

ereinion
2014-06-29, 09:16 PM
"Hmm, I guess we'll see tomorrow, Stevor. Though from the reports we've had so far, both from the messenger to my church and this letter they describe it more as a curse or a plague than any actual creature. Might just be a way of putting words on something the witnesses don't understand of course."

Ludo hands the hostess two more gold coins.

"For my lodgings. Mind you, for that price I expect them to be clean and pleasant, and the breakfast tomorrow to be excellent."

He samples the mug he's gotten, then takes a deep swallow.

"Though from the taste of your ale, I have little to worry about. It is one of the better ones I've tasted. Do you brew it yourself?"

To Monty's question he replies:

"Can't say I've heard of the fellow, no. Though from the way she mentioned him, he can't be a pleasant bloke."

pife
2014-06-29, 09:35 PM
Stevor almost corrects the lady, with the "M" for "Mielikki" upon his tongue. Then he recalls that he is far from home, and this "Ehlonna" might be a local deity. He wracks his brain trying to recall ever hearing of her.

Have I ever heard of Ehlonna? (Stevor is from Faerun)
[roll0]

You could be right, of course, about it being a plague. But fear not, Kelemvor provides! I have the ability to heal those infected with diseases, if the effects do not move too quickly. I almost pray that it is such an affliction. More quietly, so as not to disturb the locals And I've not heard of this Strahd either. But if they use his name as an invective, he can't be all that benevolent, I wager.

WhamBamSam
2014-06-29, 09:47 PM
Monty nods at the group's assessment of the situation.

Yes, we would likely be better served should we set out in the morning. You may find the company you seek elsewhere, Saul," he says with a knowing wink."I'm not about to walk into something this fishy without backup. I'll stick around with you lot a while longer at least. I will send the bird out to have a look along the road though. See if we can't learn something about why the road is so dangerous at night or what's really going on in Barovia."

The raven takes wing from its perch on a nearby windowsill with a caw and flies off along the trail towards Barovia. (OOC: The bind's 24 hours will expire in the morning, but I'll see whatever it sees until then so long as I'm awake, and I'll schedule a brief wake up every few hours somehow. Maybe Monty could loan me his psicrystal to play alarm clock?)

"Speaking of... I can get a horse from the same... er... place... that I got the raven, but it won't last the whole day. It doesn't look like the rest of you will have rides anyway, though, so it'd mostly just be for laughs."

He directs his attention toward the hostess and draws a pair of gold coins out of his pocket. "In the meantime, I intend to enjoy a night not spent on the cold ground. Here you are ma'am."

Venger
2014-06-29, 09:59 PM
Monty pays for his room as well.

My friend, among his other vices, has impeccable foresight. One for me, if you please.

(OOC: yeah sure, you can use my li'l buddy as an alarm. it's what he's for.)

miinstrel
2014-06-30, 12:04 PM
You've heard of her. Goddess of the woodlands, symbol is a unicorn, often associates with sylvan creatures, but you don't recall too much else.
Your bird flies through the night down the trail chasing after the messenger. The trail disappears into the trees a mile down the road. The mist thickens the farther he goes. On one of the occasions when you awaken you feel your raven's heart fluttering quickly and get the feeling it's being watched but by what you're unsure. No riders pass by and no wolves show themselves. Only the ever-present fog.

Strahd's name is commonly used as an expletive in these parts. He is the ruling lord of the land.
Most people in the valley of Barovia fear Strahd. He can be a cruel master and occasionally has taken people from the village who are never seen again.
It's rumored he can control the very land itself. That the mists are his doing and people are only allowed to enter and leave as he pleases.
Strahd is a member of the Zarovich family. They commanded an army and settled in the vale long ago.
Strahd was supposedly alive when the vale was settled... several centuries ago. It's rumored he has found the secret to eternal life.

"Afraid I can't claim that one. We get deliveries every so often. Just had one a week ago hence the fresh food."
"We're gettin' a bit dry over here. Why doncha pay attention to yer other customers?"
"Customers, please. You lot haven't paid for a drink in months!"
"I work for 'em! Reckon I'll be earnin' plenty more doing that god-awful stable of yours tomorrow."
"'Scuse me, dearies. The 'bread-winner' needs some attention." She leans in and whispers again, "I make the bread..."
"I heard that!"

Venger
2014-06-30, 12:24 PM
Even if the turnfeather doesn't haunt our footsteps come daybreak, we should keep a watchful eye in these parts.

miinstrel
2014-07-01, 11:04 AM
You sleep soundly through the night. The accommodations are nothing exceptional, a stiff bed with two of you to a room, but they are clean and quiet. You wake with the sun, devour your breakfast, make any necessary preparations, and head outside.

The morning sun seems to have forgotten its light, muted behind the dull, cloudy sky. You continue up the road in the direction of Barovia. Black pools of water stand like dark mirrors about the muddy roadway. A pall of thick, cold mist spreads over the ground. Giant tree trunks stand guard on both sides of the road, their branches clawing at the mists. In every direction the fog grows thicker and the forest seems more oppressive the further your travel.

After nearly 8 hours of travel, you come across the first object besides trees and the occasional forest critter of your journey. Gray in the fog, high stone pillars loom up from the impenetrable woods on both sides of the road about fifty feet ahead. Huge iron gates hang from the stonework, dew clinging to their rusting bars. Standing before the pillars are two stone statues of armed guardians with wicked polearms. Their carved heads lie among the weeds at their feet, neatly broken from the stone shoulders.

Venger
2014-07-01, 11:10 AM
Monty examines the incision made at the neck from a safe distance. He extends an arm and his crystal skitters down his hand and gets a closer look, returning afterwards to hang at his neck.

Whatever cleft these statues' heads from their shoulders must have done so recently. The stumps on neither end show signs of weathering. We'd best be on the lookout. The thing that did this must be quite large and have something sharp in its possession.

miinstrel
2014-07-01, 11:22 AM
As your crystal skitters up to the statues it sees the stone faces on the ground are human: one female and one male, both attractive. There is some slight weathering indicating this was done relatively recently, but you're not sure when exactly.

pife
2014-07-01, 12:08 PM
Stevor shivers in the mid-afternoon gloom. Though he had decided to wear no armor on this first leg of the journey, the abandoned and decrepit gateway gives him the creeps for some reason. While Monty investigates, Stevor dons his armor, requesting a hand with strap and buckle before picking his shield back up, making certain that the lantern hangs solidly from it's hook, and prepares to proceed. He fetches a handful of feed from one of the saddlebags, and feeds it to Pips by hand while he waits.

Venger
2014-07-01, 12:43 PM
Monty offers Stevor a hand as he dons his armor.

A prudent decision, he says and stands a little straighter once Stevor's armor is on.

miinstrel
2014-07-01, 01:07 PM
As you hesitantly approach the gates they creak open of their own accord with the gut-wrenching squeal of metal on metal. You pass through them, turning to face the statues as you come within reach should they decide to come to life. Their petrified bodies remain motionless, their weapons facing outward. Once everyone is through, the gates screech shut with the same sickening sound, barring the way back.

Ludo: [roll0]
Monty: [roll1]
Kestrel: [roll2]
Saul: [roll3]
Stevor: [roll4]

If you got less than 12, you take [roll5] nonlethal damage and are fatigued upon arrival at the outskirts of town as described below.
Fatigued: Cannot run or charge. -2 penalty to STR and DEX.

EDIT: Not a single person in any of the three games got fatigued!

You trudge onward for another two hours through the dank woods. As you come to the edge of the forest, tall shapes loom in the near distance from the dense fog, and the muddy ground underfoot gives way to slick, wet cobblestones. A dilapidated, wooden sign reads “Welcome to the Village of Barovia.” As you grow closer, the shapes resolve into tenements whose windows are boarded, broken, and lightless. Nothing moves nearby, though the fog limits visibility. Faint sounds, as of something groaning, echo hollowly from somewhere in the settlement.

To the northwest, above all of this, a dark mountain of earth and stone topped with the pointed towers of an ancient castle dominates the skyline. It is nearly dusk, the sun glowing through the fog just above the hills defining the western edge of the valley.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2jdmlnc.png

pife
2014-07-01, 01:50 PM
Retrieving his Holy Symbol from the front of his shirt, Kelemvor reaches into a pouch, and carefully sprinkles silvery dust in a circle around his feet, then raises his hands up to the sky. Kelemvor, Lord of the Grave, Judge of the Damned, I call upon your power to shelter we holy few as we go forward to do your works. I pray that we will be judged worthy of your protection, that we may act in your stead, to protect those who cannot protect themselves.

Magic Circle against Evil- +2 Deflection bonus to AC, +2 to saves, immunity from possession or mental control, cannot be touched by summoned creatures.

Friends, for the next hour, your defenses will be more stalwart, should you stay near me, and you needn't worry about possession of the mind or spirit as long as you stay close to me. Let us go forward, shielded by my Lord's grace, and come to the aid of any who still need us.

Venger
2014-07-01, 01:53 PM
Much appreciated, my friend. Monty cleaves to him, staying within his radius.

ereinion
2014-07-01, 06:06 PM
"Yes, we had better be prepared."

"If you'll let me cast these spells on you, you'll also be invisible to most undead until you make a move against them. Or until an hour has passed. I'll also make your wounds regenerate and bolster both your body and spirit against attacks."

Ludo draws closer to Stevor as he speaks, drawing one of his swords as he does so. He then buckles his shield, before touching his holy symbol and intoning a prayer to Red Knight. He visibly glows as he intones the first two spells, making holy energy spread out to envelop the rest of the party.

He then lightly touches each willing members of the group lightly, channeling the energy necessary to make them invisible to undead.

Persist Mass Less Vigor (gives Fast Healing: 1) and Mass Conviction (+3 morale bonus on all saving throws)

Cast Hide From Undead, invisible to all undead until attempting to attack them in some way for 60 minutes. Intelligent undead gets a will-save, DC17.

From now on I'll cast the persisted spells first thing after getting new spells every day, and persist them, if that is ok.

Venger
2014-07-01, 06:13 PM
They are certainly appreciated.

The Viscount
2014-07-01, 06:53 PM
All this protection is much appreciated. I only wish I could return the favor.

ereinion
2014-07-01, 07:01 PM
"I am sure you both have other talents, which will be of great help if we run into trouble as we enter the village."

pife
2014-07-02, 09:48 AM
Shield at the ready, and sword drawn, Stevor makes sure that the others are prepared to follow, then begins to walk slowly into the town, pausing at the outskirts to decipher what he can from the tracks on the ground. He also attempts to locate and identify any sounds.

Track [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

WhamBamSam
2014-07-02, 11:10 AM
Saul draws his longspear and follows just behind Stevor.

miinstrel
2014-07-02, 11:19 AM
Yeah that's fine.
You notice several tracks on the road: humanoid, canine, cart... much what you'd expect from the main road coming into a town of this size. It's difficult to discern much more than that.
As you are looking at the ground you pick up moans coming from the center and south sides of town. You can't say exactly how many voices there are in total, but you estimate at least 3 from each source.

While the streets are wide enough for you to march four abreast as you enter the city, they are choked with mist, limiting vision to only a few dozen feet. The buildings here at the edge of town look abandoned, burned out, or barricaded. Garbage litters the ground, and a carrion stench assaults your nose. Ahead, an overturned hay cart blocks part of the street. As you move forward you notice a pair of zombies behind the cart, a third to the north of the intersection, and two gore-streaked, four foot long animals that look like a cross between a large rat and a wolf. Their eyes glitter with rabid fury as they tear into something against the wall.
OOC: Knowledge Nature to know more.

Here's an overview of the village. The X is you. The M's are the apx. locations of the moans you heard.

http://i60.tinypic.com/20h2b5w.png

And here's the tactical map of the intersection you're at.
I placed you in what seemed a decent marching order. If you'd like to adjust it just let me know.
Mu = Your mules.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2u9sdhg.png

pife
2014-07-02, 12:13 PM
Stevor plants his feet, glaring at the unholy creatures that bar his path into this town. Though they might have been beloved citizens, stalwart and true, there is nothing left of that happy time for these unfortunates. Stabbing his sword into the ground firmly, Stevor clasps his hand around the shining silver talisman that is Kelemvor's holy symbol, crying out Your time to walk this earth has passed. The Lord of the Grave commands you to seek the loving embrace of whatever god you followed, and trouble these lands no more.. BEGONE!

ereinion
2014-07-02, 02:50 PM
Crap, this went balls up a bit quicker than expected. Though the zombies weren't that surprising, he had hoped they could have gotten a better grasp of the situation before having to resort to violence. But its too late to worry about that now.

He fervently hopes the mules won't have time to panic before he has time to secure them.

As Stevor begins incanting a prayer against the undead, Ludo turns around and desperately attempts to get hold of the reins of the two mules, as soon as he's got them in his hands he'll attempt to secure them to the nearest sturdy looking beam or pole.

Venger
2014-07-02, 03:12 PM
Monty yanks the crystal off his necklace and tosses it onto the ground.

Stand aside, friends.

He hunkers down on all fours and his shirt sinks into his skin, rippling with gray-green armored plates. His spine lengthens until it terminates in a blunt, club-shaped maul. His hands melt into column-like feet and his hair sinks away into a bony skullcap. Monty gives a mighty squall and throws his head to the heavens.

His crystal sprouts two spindly legs and arms and thickens itself like a piece of rock candy until it stands twenty feet tall, an enormous bipedal tree. His arms branch out and the outer layer of his shell takes on a mossy hue. He stamps his foot in anger and sets chunks of bark skittering down his chest onto Monty's armor-plated back.

Ain't makin' no trophies outta these, college boy

The Viscount
2014-07-02, 06:57 PM
Eyeing the animals in the distance, Kestrel is startled when he sees the radical change Monty and the crystal undergo their radical changes. Seeing Stevor rebuff the zombies, his face grows determined.

So it is to be the path of blood. I shall do my best to handle the beasts.

With that and a few murmured words he stabs the ground beneath him with the tip of his spear. Near the carcass eaters the ground suddenly becomes covered with fungus, the air becoming thick with fuzzy spores.

Targeting the corner of G11, G12, H11, and H12, 10 ft radius spread, difficult terrain and Fort DC 13 vs sickened if you enter the square.

pife
2014-07-02, 07:38 PM
Whoaaaaaaah! Stevor is noticeably surprised by his companions transformations, but manages (barely) not to stagger back in shock!

WhamBamSam
2014-07-02, 08:56 PM
Saul swings himself up to sit on the back of the newly transformed Monty.

"Sorry pal. I'll summon my own horse as soon as this fight's over."

Saul lowers his lance, preparing to halt any attack that comes his way.

Ready the Longspear to attack any enemy that moves in reach with a Smite. Power Attack for 4.

Attack: [roll0] (+3 if the target is Good or Evil)
Damage: [roll1] (+6 if the target is Good or Evil, double damage against a charging enemy)

Venger
2014-07-02, 09:01 PM
Monty, being a dinosaur, gives an unintelligible grunt.

The treant turns to Saul and gives a craggy smirk.

He says he likes it

Monty shakes his shovel-shaped head, but stops as Saul readies himself for combat.

miinstrel
2014-07-03, 09:43 AM
As Stevor finishes channeling the power of his lord, a flash of light emanates from his holy symbol. Over the top of the hay cart you see the two zombies (Z2 & Z3) turn tail and begin to flee down the street. The mules startle as Monty and his companion drastically change shape, but Ludo is able to wrangle them and tie them off to a pole outside the nearest building before they bolt. Kestrel fills the street with spores alerting the carcass eaters and setting them hacking and coughing as Saul mounts the hammertailed Monty.

I will indicate with "<<" who is currently up. PCs may act in any order as long as they don't pass a bad guy's turn. So Kestrel and Monty can act at the same time.

Kestrel 23 <<
Monty 17 <<
Zombies [roll1]
Saul 11
Ludo [roll0]
Stevor 9
Carcass Eaters [roll2]

http://i61.tinypic.com/291jr42.png

The Viscount
2014-07-03, 11:44 AM
Kestrel opens his wings with a slow motion like stretching after a long sleep. With a leap he takes to the air, heading directly for the remaining zombie. With a quick appeal to the spirits of the ocean he raises his hand, and thick, ropy vegetation springs out, reaching for the remaining zombie and one of the carcass eaters.

Fly to J8, attacking Z1 with kelpstrand, range touch attack [roll0]

grapple check [roll1]

The Viscount
2014-07-03, 11:51 AM
Forgot to include the attack vs C1
touch attack [roll0]
grapple [roll1]

Venger
2014-07-03, 08:00 PM
Monty bellows and charges forward towards the two carcass eaters, crushing them beneath his mighty, column-like feet.

monty's trample damage
[roll0]
trample DC 18
AC: 31

come to rest in H11,I12

The treant follows closely behind, stomping what little remains.

li'l buddy's trample (if needed)
[roll1]

trample DC 22
AC: 20

slows his roll in H13,J15

miinstrel
2014-07-07, 02:33 PM
Kestrel's strand ensnares the zombie and the carcass eater holding them fast in its sinewy grasp as the other two flee before Stevor's devotion. The rat-like beast is helpless as the mammoth creatures stomp it into the dust with its friend. The tremors running through the ground shake the buildings around you and stir the dead hiding within. They open the doors and swarm lazily forward, reaching for you with their fetid claws.
Z1 attempts to free itself in vain.

Z2
Move to I8
Attack Kestrel: [roll0], damage [roll1], crit conf [roll2] (fled from Stevor's first turn)

Z3
Move to G12
Attack LB: [roll3], damage [roll4], crit conf [roll5] (fled from Stevor's first turn)

Z4 (starts in D7)
Move to I7
Attack Kestrel: [roll6], damage [roll7], crit conf [roll8]

Z5 (starts in E12)
Move to G11 (provokes AoO from LB & Monty)
Attack Monty: [roll9], damage [roll10], crit conf [roll11]

Z6 (starts in D12)
Move to G8

Z7 (starts in M6)
Move to N9
Attack Stevor: [roll12], damage [roll13], crit conf [roll14]

Z8 (starts in N13)
Move to N10
Attack Stevor: [roll15], damage [roll16], crit conf [roll17]

Z9 (starts in M14)
Move to O10
Attack Stevor: [roll18], damage [roll19], crit conf [roll20]

Hit = Fort save DC 13. Failure = Sickened (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#shaken).

I will indicate with "<<" who is currently up. PCs may act in any order as long as they don't pass a bad guy's turn.

Kestrel 23
Monty 17
Zombies 13
Saul 11 <<
Ludo 11 <<
Stevor 9 <<
(Hold after these 3 go please)

http://i58.tinypic.com/2i0eqmr.png

pife
2014-07-07, 02:49 PM
Stevor grunts after the first blow strikes, and yelps in pain as the second strikes home. His armor deflects the third, thankfully. With a furious glint in his eye, he thrusts his holy symbol once again at these new abominations, shouting, The Lord of the Grave does not suffer your existence, Go, and trouble our path no more!

He can turn an undead of up to 10 HD, and he has turned/destroyed 17HD worth of undead. (They are destroyed if they are 3HD or less)

Venger
2014-07-07, 04:42 PM
Monty thrashes his maul of a tail at the nearest zombie as it enters his kill zone

atk:[roll0]
dmg: [roll1]

The treant lashes out with a jagged spur on his heel, stabbing the nearest zombie in the cheek.

atk: [roll2]
dmg: [roll3]

ereinion
2014-07-07, 05:00 PM
Ludo lets out a roar and sprints towards the nearest zombie, attempting to bury his sword in it.

Ludo attacks zombie Z7, am I allowed to charge it, or will that be an illegal action, since the closest square to it from Ludo, (strictly speaking) is the one Stevor stands in?

Will charge if allowed, otherwise just attack.

I assume I'll have to use these rolls :smallwink:

Once it's his turn, Ludo will charge one of the enemies, attacking with his longsword at

Attack (Adamantine Longsword): [roll0], [roll1]
Crit confirm (19-20/x2): [roll2], [roll3]

His AC will be 20 without charging and 18 if he charges. Fort save is +9 with the bonus from conviction, for other details, see his sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=923499).

WhamBamSam
2014-07-07, 05:07 PM
Monty, being a dinosaur, gives an unintelligible grunt.

The treant turns to Saul and gives a craggy smirk.

He says he likes it

Monty shakes his shovel-shaped head, but stops as Saul readies himself for combat.Saul is midway through coming up with a witty remark, when Monty rushes forward to crush the rodent creatures beneath his transformed feet. Saul is jostled around in the saddle and misses wildly when attempting to stop a zombie from approaching. He attempts to steady himself and makes a second stab, hoping that the Ankylosaurus and Treant attacks and its single minded (though strangely not mindless) agression might distract it enough to let him get a good blow in.

Attack of Opportunity:
Still Power Attacking for 4 from the readied action.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit Confirm: [roll2]

On his turn:

With a snarl, Saul stabs the lance down at the zombie once more.

Power Attack for 3.

Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]
Crit Confirm: [roll5]

EDIT: 4 turns left on my Smite Evil cooldown.

miinstrel
2014-07-08, 02:33 PM
When charging you need a clear path to the nearest available square, in this case O8. Charge ho!

Two of the zombies ripping into Stevor suddenly turn and flee at top speed from the cleric as the power of his faith washes over them. Ludo charges the third, but Stevor steps to dodge a blow and forces him to correct his course, hampering his attack.

Meanwhile, Monty and his newly uprooted tree thrash about at their own foes. Monty's tail connects solidly with the zombie as it saunters up, but the blow sends him reeling back out of the way of the dagger-like root being thrust toward it. Saul, on the other hand, pulls his arm back and thrusts his spear clean through the monster's chest leaving a sizable hole. And yet the zombie presses forward. Saul removes his lance and thrusts again, but the corpse has moved too close and the point cannot gain a hold.

From out of the shadows of the alley come a pair of eyes sizzling with cursed power. The attached corpse is skeletally thin, and arcane power dances on its fingertips. It raises a hand, pointing at Ludo and you feel fell magic attempt to seize your muscles.
Know Religion to know more.
Move to N6 (started in N4)
Cast spell. Ludo, make a Will save DC 14. Failure = paralyzed for 3 rounds.
Hold Person SLA

Kestrel 23 <<
Monty 17 <<
Zombies 13
Saul 11
Ludo 11
Stevor 9
Deathlock 5

Z1 is entangled.
Z8 & Z9 are turned (will flee on zombie initiative).

http://i57.tinypic.com/2mnoyg5.png
As a reminder, you may not move across corners. So for example, Ludo cannot 5 foot step to N7, he'll have to move to N8 first and then to N7 (provoking an AoO). The broken cart doesn't have solid corners like that so you may move diagonally across its edges.

Venger
2014-07-08, 04:10 PM
Monty bellows and charges forward, jabbing at zombies in his path with the spikes jutting from his sides. He doesn't slow down as he comes to the alley, lunging forward with one leg and kicking the deathlock wherever looks painful.

monty's trample damage against Z7, Z8, and D1
[roll0]

stop in N7-N8

The treant follows closely behind, crushing what is unfortunate enough to be in his path and staying within arm's reach of his master.

li'l buddy's trample damage against Z5, Z7, and Z8
[roll1]

stop in K9-M11

The Viscount
2014-07-08, 11:30 PM
Kestrel reels back as the creature lands a solid hit.
1d20+11

With a strong, quick burst of power from his wings he hops backwards and upwards, drawing his bow as he does. Spirits of the serpent, bless us with your haste!

The group feels a sudden rush of energy fill them as their reactions sharpen for a moment and they spot openings in the shambling corpses' defenses. Kestrel's eyes burn with anger at the thing that struck him, and he fires off a quick shot.

5-foot stepping to K8 or to the square in the air above it, if that is allowed. Mass snake's swiftness centered on L8/M9 so we each get one free attack against something in our reach. I'm using mine to attack Z4.

Attack [roll0] (+1 for higher ground if being above is allowed)
Damage [roll1] Crit Confirmation [roll2] (as above)

Venger
2014-07-08, 11:41 PM
Monty lunges forward and butts the deathlock in the midsection with his armor plated head.

atk vs deathlock
[roll0]
dmg
[roll1]

The treant peers over the top of Monty's armored shell at the deathlock and sneers, half-reaching out for him.

Ahhh, too long. Thanks for the juice, flyboy he shouts to Kestrel. His arm undulates with serpentine grace and comes down at the zombie nearest him.

atk vs z7
[roll2]
dmg
[roll3]

ereinion
2014-07-09, 05:41 AM
Bolstered by the avian's spell, Ludo quickly lunges at the nearest zombie.

WhamBamSam
2014-07-09, 08:08 AM
Saul drives his spear down at the deathlock from his place on Monty's back.

Still Power Attacking for 3 from my turn.

Crit Confirm:[roll2] (+4 from Andras which I've been forgetting)

miinstrel
2014-07-09, 01:45 PM
Yes, you can be 5 feet up in K8. You can't stay there next round though unless you have the Hover feat.
The zombies crumble as Monty's and the tree's powerful forms rush over them. The treant plants one of its roots solidly on top of Z5 which crushes with a delightfully sickening squish. Its remains stick to the bark as it walks across the road. The deathlock is similarly crushed in the narrow alley by Monty's girth.
Z7 isn't too bright, so he'll take an AoO against you as you come by and fail his save.
[roll0], damage [roll1], crit conf [roll2]

Z8 save: [roll3]
Deathlock save: [roll4]

Z5 AoO vs LB: [roll5], damage [roll6], crit conf [roll7]
Z7 save: [roll8]
Z8 save: [roll9]

As Kestrel's prayer washes over the unprepared party, they quickly strike at their perceived openings, but too quickly. The strikes are fruitless.
Wow, EVERYONE missed? That seems unusual haha. Tough luck :/
The zombies continue their mindless assault, save the two that flee to the east out of town.
Z1 struggles to free itself in vain... again

Z4
Move to J8
Attack Kestrel: [roll10], damage [roll11], crit conf [roll12]

Z5
Move to J11 (provokes AoO from LB)
Attack LB: [roll13], damage [roll14], crit conf [roll15] (slain by tramples)

Z6
Move to J9 (provokes AoO from LB)
Attack LB: [roll16], damage [roll17], crit conf [roll18]

Z7
Attack Ludo: [roll19], damage [roll20], crit conf [roll21]

Z8
Flees east (provokes AoO from LB, Monty, Saul, Stevor) (Stevor if you attack it breaks the turn)

Z9
Flees east (provokes AoO from LB, Monty, Saul, Stevor) (Stevor if you attack it breaks the turn)

Hit = Fort save DC 13. Failure = sickened.

Kestrel 23
Monty 17
Zombies 13
Saul 11 <<
Ludo 11 <<
Stevor 9 <<
Deathlock 5

Z1 is entangled.
Saul, I'm just going to list Mo for you/Monty and know that you both occupy the same spaces.

http://i60.tinypic.com/20tnzuu.png

Venger
2014-07-09, 02:03 PM
The treant reaches for the zombie flitting around him, grasping for his head to crush it between his root fingers.

atk:
[roll0]
dmg
[roll1]

pife
2014-07-09, 02:10 PM
Stevor lets his holy symbol fall back onto his chest, the heavy neckchain it is attached to easily able to support it's weight. He reaches out and grips the hilt of his sword, and lays into the abhorrent creature directly in front of him with a cry of rage!

[roll0]
Damage [roll]1d10+3[/roll
Potential Crit Confirm: [roll1]

WhamBamSam
2014-07-09, 02:28 PM
With quick reflexes born of a lifetime of fidgety paranoia, Saul thrusts out with his spear at both zombies as they pass by.

AoO against Z8. Still Power Attacking for 3 from my turn.

Crit Confirm: [roll2]

Still have 2 AoOs left for the turn thanks to combat reflexes. AoO Z9 as well.

Crit Confirm: [roll5]

He then focuses on the remaining zombie in his vicinity and tries to stick it as well.

Don't want to Power Attack too hard with how crappy I've been rolling, but I've got to get through that DR somehow, so I'll just take a -2 to the attack roll.

Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
Crit Confirm: [roll8]

ereinion
2014-07-09, 02:58 PM
Ludo staggers from the zombie's blow, but collects himself and promises himself to repay it twofold, as he brings his sword to bear.

HP: 34/39?, AC: 22

Zombies have damage reduction?

miinstrel
2014-07-09, 06:01 PM
Yep! Slashing overcomes zombie DR.
And your HP is correct at 34/39. The deflection bonus from the MCaE saved you from the crit.

The treant pierces the shoulder of the zombie and you hear its collar bone snap. One of its arms hangs limply. Stevor and Ludo's blows go wide, but Saul makes up for it by striking true, taking down one of the fleeing zombies and punishing the third with his lance, sending it to its final rest as well.
OOC: No crits on undead.

Kestrel 23 <<
Monty 17 <<
Zombies 13
Saul 11
Ludo 11
Stevor 9
Deathlock 5

Z1 is entangled.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2hnq747.png

The Viscount
2014-07-09, 06:28 PM
Kestrel braces himself for the zombie's blow, then with another flap jumps backwards and upwards out of its reach. He takes a deep breath and stretches out his hand. Once more long ropy tendrils spring forward to wrap about the creatures before him

5 foot step to L8, 10 feet above the ground.

Fort save: [roll0]

Against Z4: Touch Attack [roll1] Grapple [roll2]

Against Z6: Touch Attack [roll3] Grapple [roll4]

Venger
2014-07-09, 06:43 PM
Monty extricates himself from the alley, a shower of brick dust cascading between the spikes on his sides. he lowers his head and batters through the two zombies in front of him, coming to rest in front of the cart, a cloud of dust trailing his columnar feet.

monty's trample vs Z4/Z6
[roll0]
squeeze to rest in I8

The treant takes strides across the battlefield, squeezing through the crevice between the cart and the building and setting a foot down on the seaweed-wrapped zombie, coming to rest a pace away.

LB's trample vz Z4/Z6/ Z1

[roll1]

rest in H5-J7

miinstrel
2014-07-10, 11:45 AM
Will you guys please post the save DC of any spells/abilities you use? Saves me having to look it up. Thanks!

The sinewy strands strike true, ensnaring the two remaining assailants as Monty and his treant rush underneath Kestrel's feet to stomp them to dust. One of them is crushed outright and the other seriously maimed.
Grapples
Z4: [roll0]
Z6: [roll1]

LB trample (saves noted in case they fail their grapple and can't AoO)
Z4 AoO: [roll2], damage [roll3]
Z6 AoO: [roll4], damage [roll5]
Z1 save: [roll6]
Z4 save: [roll7]
Z6 save: [roll8]

Monty trample
Z4 save: [roll9]
Z6 save: [roll10]
One of the zombies is slain outright as the other struggles against his bonds. With them tied up in kelp, you easily dispatch the remaining two undead on the street leaving you with several plagued bodies and a few wounds of your own.If beats grapple check vs Kestrel
Z4 attack LB: [roll11], damage [roll12]
Z6 attack Monty: [roll13], damage [roll14], crit conf [roll15]

If failed grapple check vs Kestrel
Z4 grapple: [roll16]
Z6 grapple: [roll17]

Kestrel 23
Monty 17
Zombies 13
Saul 11 <<
Ludo 11 <<
Stevor 9 <<
Deathlock 5

Z1 is entangled and grappled.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2hnq747.png
540xp to each of you! Welcome to Barovia.

Venger
2014-07-10, 12:55 PM
The treant scrapes the worst of the muck off his feet, leaving deep ruts in the ground.

What're we waiting for? Let's go find my next victim.

He leans on top of Monty's armored shell, his roots falling next to Saul.

ereinion
2014-07-10, 01:01 PM
"Yes, we should hurry. I have no idea what those mysterious sounds we heard earlier could be, but just in case they are survivors of the city battling against the undead, we should make as much haste towards them as possible."

Ludo listens intently, trying to decide where the sounds are coming from.
Listen: [roll0]
He points in the direction he thinks the closest sounds are coming from.

"I say we head in this direction, as quickly as we can, while still maintaining formation."

Venger
2014-07-10, 01:03 PM
The treant grunts.

Don't gotta tell me about formation. Lead the way, shorty

pife
2014-07-10, 01:27 PM
Stevor bows his head in prayer over the souls of the unfortunate people whose bodies had been so cruelly co-opted. Still gripping his sword, he removes the lantern from his belt and re-attaches it to his belt, hanging the handle over the hilt of the dagger.

Agreed, friends, lets move quickly. And, he adds, looking at his companions, it's wondrous indeed what marvels magic makes possible! A treant! Silvanus would be so proud! Murmuring a few words of mystic power over himself, Stevors hands begin to glow a light blue, and he grasps the worse of his wounds. Ahhh, he sighs. that's much better. Is anyone else badly hurt?

Stevor gives up a Protection From Evil spell to spontaneously cast CLW . [roll0]

Venger
2014-07-10, 01:34 PM
The treant scratches his head, or rough approximation of one.

Who's that?

He looks to Monty, whose thick hide has protected him from the worst of it.

We're good.

ereinion
2014-07-10, 01:39 PM
"I am good as well"

miinstrel
2014-07-10, 04:02 PM
The moans continue from two different sections from the city, though they seem louder from the ones to the west as opposed to southwest. You make your way down the otherwise silent streets. The ever-present mists clear slightly revealing a human body lying face down in the street amid the garbage on the far side of a three way intersection (the road continues west and north from you. One of the buildings on the south side of the street has its door smashed in.

DM: Listen checks please

http://i62.tinypic.com/sltzzo.png

pife
2014-07-10, 04:08 PM
Rushing to the side of the fallen townsperson, Stevor kneels and checks for signs of life.

Heal Check [roll0]
Listen Check [roll1]

Woohoo, with that Heal check, I should be able to drag someone back from the little white light they were walking towards.

Miracle Max: "Mostly dead is partly alive. There's a big difference between mostly dead, and all dead. With all dead, well, with all dead, there's usually only one thing you can do. Go through their pockets and look for loose change ".

Venger
2014-07-10, 04:08 PM
Monty tilts his head, moving his ear pits around as much as his stout neck will allow.

monty's listen
[roll0]

The treant cups a handful of branches around the side of his head, or the top of his trunk, anyway.

li'l buddy's listen
[roll1]

The Viscount
2014-07-10, 04:29 PM
Kestrel glides slowly to the ground, looking rather winded from the heavy hits he took. He puts away his spear, taking a moment to switch a small crystal over to his bow.

Let us press on.

---

Kestrel listens for the sounds of any more of the restless dead.
[roll0]

ereinion
2014-07-10, 06:03 PM
After having travelled for a while, Ludo again attempts to listen for any unusual going-ons

Listen: [roll0]

WhamBamSam
2014-07-11, 08:12 PM
Saul slides off of Monty's back. "Good game," he says jokingly, giving the dinosaur flank a pat.

"Now then, I think I can provide my own ride going forward. Plus, an extra set of eyes and ears never hurt."

Summon Andras' Warhorse and mount it, stowing my longspear and wielding the lance I also get from summoning it.

Saul's listen: [roll0]
Warhorse's listen: [roll1]

miinstrel
2014-07-14, 12:53 PM
Saul's warhorse, the epitome of a knightly steed, flicks its head vertically and dances on its feet for a moment as you approach the intersection. Kestrel's finely tuned senses also pick up a soft noise, likely the same thing setting the horse on edge. A shriek, high-pitched and tinny, emanating from the house on the northeast corner of the intersection similar to that of a scared child but... something's off. The timbre of the sound isn't quite right to Kestrel's keen ears. Stevor hears it as well as he rushes forward toward the hopefully still living man in the street.

As you kneel on the ground you can tell immediately that this man is deceased, even just looking at his back side. Lacerations and teeth marks cover his legs and arms and a thick, coagulated wound on his neck indicates a likely cause of death, probably about a day ago. Through the blood and hair you see a thin silver chain wrapped around the back of his neck. The way he's lying also gives you the impression that he's propped up by something beneath his belly.

DM: Spot check from Stevor.

pife
2014-07-14, 01:12 PM
Oh no, thinks Stevor. For these people's sake, I hope this wasn't the village priest! He's dead, Stevor reports sadly. Gingerly, respectfully, Stevor would like to roll the corpse onto it's back, so that he can administer last rites to the deceased, as well as see what it may have been that the man was clutching when he fell.

miinstrel
2014-07-14, 01:29 PM
As you wedge your arms beneath his to roll him over, you notice he's significantly lighter than expected. Your eye wants to follow the chain around his neck, but for some reason you turn to his midsection, or rather lack thereof. His stomach has been ripped open and much of his internal organs have been removed, digested by the two large, white, segmented worms resting within. You see them just in time and step back as they lunge out of their cozy new home. Turning your head over your shoulder to call for your companions you see them: Two zombies lurching down the street toward you. You must have missed them in the fog as you rushed to reach the body.

SURPRISE ROUND FOR ZOMBIES, MAGGOTS, and STEVOR BEFORE INITIATIVE STARTS.

Kestrel: [roll0]
Zombies: [roll6] <<
Monty: [roll1]
Saul: [roll2]
Ludo: [roll3]
Maggots: [roll5] <<
Stevor: [roll4] <<

It's been about one minute (10 rounds) since the previous combat ended.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2ebhai9.png

miinstrel
2014-07-14, 01:35 PM
The maggots squeal as they writhe out, a stinking ichor dripping from their mandibles as they bite at the intruder. The zombies shamble, their arms stretched out to Stevor. One of them notices the large batch of potential prey down the other direction and moves toward Monty.
M1
Attack Stevor: [roll0], damage [roll1], crit conf [roll2]

M2
Attack Stevor: [roll3], damage [roll4], crit conf [roll5]

Hit = Fort save DC 14 or paralyzed. You may make an additional saving throw at the beginning of each of your turns to shrug it off (so make sure to roll two saves this time around for each hit).
Z1 (starts in M5)
Move to J9

Z2 (starts in M7)
Move to P9

SURPRISE ROUND FOR ZOMBIES, MAGGOTS, and STEVOR BEFORE INITIATIVE STARTS. Remember, that means a standard OR a move action, not both.

Kestrel you may post your turn as well. You're the official start of Round 1 and will get both actions.

Kestrel: 17 <<
Zombies: 17
Monty: 16
Saul: 14
Ludo: 11
Maggots: 7
Stevor: 2 <<

It's been about one minute (10 rounds) since the previous combat ended.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2d8otxk.png

pife
2014-07-14, 02:00 PM
Stevor recoils from the gigantic maggots in disgust, and notices the shambling zombie over his shoulder. Knowing that his friends won't be able to reach him immediately, and also knowing his offensive limitations, Stevor opts to stall for time. Crouching low, he positions his shield before him as he scoots away from all three of his assailants. He begins a wholly defensive pattern with his blade, the only purpose for which is to deter and deflect attacks.

He takes a 5' step (free if there is no other movement) into J11, and employs the Total Defense action (standard action), (making his AC 24 for the moment)

The Viscount
2014-07-14, 04:59 PM
Watch yourselves! There is something in the house in front and to the right of us. I will help Stevor.

He takes a quick leap into the air and then flies toward the melee and stretches out his hand as once again ropy plants extend to wrap around the two maggots.

Fly over to M9, 10 feet above the ground. Kelpstrand against M1 and M2, no save.
Vs M1: Touch Attack: [roll0] Grapple [roll1]
Vs M2: Touch Attack: [roll2] Grapple [roll3]

miinstrel
2014-07-15, 01:01 PM
As Stevor brings his shield to bear against the slimy invertebrates, green filaments rocket down from above ensnaring the beasts and leaving only the zombies. The two in the street moan as they begin to wail on their targets alerting the others nearby that dinner has arrived.
Z1
Move to J10

Z2
Attack Monty: [roll3], damage [roll4], crit conf [roll5]

Z3 (starts in E8)
Move to H9

Z4 (starts in I8)
Move to I10
Attack Stevor: [roll6], damage [roll7], crit conf [roll8]

Z5 (starts in J13)
Move to K11
Attack Stevor: [roll9], damage [roll10], crit conf [roll11]

Z6 (starts in P15)
Move to P12 (provokes AoO from Saul, zombie gets +4 AC for cover from wall)
Attack Saul: [roll12], damage [roll13], crit conf [roll14]

Hit = Fort save DC 13. Failure = Sickened.

Kestrel: 17
Monty: 16 <<
Saul: 14 <<
Ludo: 11 <<
Stevor: 2

M1 & M2 are entangled and grappled.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2m454rq.png

ereinion
2014-07-15, 01:20 PM
Grumbling at the host of enemies that has been awaiting them, and worrying a bit about how the paladin he's supposed to assist is faring, Ludo moves forward to engage the zombies.

Seeing that the most immediate concern is to bring some aid to Stevor, but also realizing that he can't hope to get there before the rest of the party makes their move, he decides that the best he can do for now is to attempt to seperate the closest zombie's head from its body, and then maybe try to push past it to provide some aid to Stevor later.

Move to Q8 and attack Z2.

Would it be knowledge (nature) to learn more about the maggots?

Venger
2014-07-15, 01:27 PM
Monty plows through the zombie that just struck him, knocking him to the ground and crushing the zombies behind him and striking at the bound maggots.

monty's trample damage vs z2, z3, z1, z4, m1, and m2.
ref dc 18
[roll0]
rebound to rest in J8-K9

The treant growls as he looks over towards the zombies swarming around Stevor.
Make sure you mouth ain't open, shorty!
He charges forward, crushing himself down into a ball as he rolls past Stevor, his bark cracking as it blows a breeze against Stevor's skin. This is going to get messy

LB's trample damage vs z2, z6.
[roll1]
ref dc 22
squeeze once he hits N10, remain squeezing so he doesn't trample kestrel, and come to rest in L10-M11.

pife
2014-07-15, 01:28 PM
Stevor shouts to his companions, Slow and steady, boys, take them out smart, I can hold them off for a bit. Take care of what's in front of you, these will be here, Kelemvor shall provide! I'll even the odds in a moment!

(Sorry, was in the middle of writing this before the tree-dozer came through, lol.. Disregard plz)

Venger
2014-07-15, 01:32 PM
The treant laughs as he wipes congealed blood from his root beard.

You must know something I don't!

WhamBamSam
2014-07-15, 04:21 PM
Saul strikes at the incoming undead with his lance.

Attack of Opportunity against z6

The zombie surges forward undeterred and swings at Saul, missing him only narrowly. The treant runs over the creature leaving

Saul's warhorse rears up to batter the creature with its hooves and bites at the undead flesh, while Saul attempts to drive his lance down into it.

I pass the DC10 ride check to "fight with warhorse" on a 1.

Warhorse full attack against z6.

Hoof1 (I assume bludgeoning, SRD doesn't say)
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Hoof2 (bludgeoning)
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Bite (piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning)

Saul's lance attack against z6 (piercing). Power Attack for 2.
Attack: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]

miinstrel
2014-07-17, 12:52 AM
Yep! Knowledge Nature for the maggots.

Also, sorry for the delay. I'm training my replacement over the next couple days since I'm starting a new job monday. posting may be sketchy until the weekend.
z1 vs monty: [roll0]
z2 vs monty: [roll1]
z2 vs LB: [roll2]
z6 vs LB: [roll3]
Ludo steps up in the wake of the trampling giants and brings his blade down against the zombie. Saul, startled by the sudden appearance misses his first rushed strike, but steadies himself and strikes true as he brings his horse and his lance to bear again.

As if the zombies and the maggots weren't enough, two figures come screeching down from the rooftop of the building on the NE corner of the intersection. They are hideous, distorted human heads suspended from leathery wings. In place of hair, they are crowned with writhing tendrils, and their eyes burn with a menacing green flame. They open their foul jaws and emit a piercing screech that sends shivers down each of your spines.
Know Planes to learn more.

V1 (starts in N8, 20 feet up)
Move to P10, 10 feet up
Standard: Shriek.

V2 (starts in O8, 20 feet up)
Move to R9, 10 feet up)
Standard: Shriek.

Fortitude saves from everyone, DC 12. You only need to make a single save even though both are shrieking.
Failure = Paralyzed until further notice.
They struggle in vain against their bonds.

Flyers (V): 8

http://i60.tinypic.com/14wdpxg.png

Venger
2014-07-17, 01:05 AM
The treant turns his massive neck towards the flying monstrosities as they loose their terrible screeches.

What fresh hell is this?

pife
2014-07-17, 07:48 AM
Stevor growls as he hears the screeching attack, but his resolve holds firm. Scanning the skirmish, he sees his stalwart companion Monty and his.. friend storming toward him. Stevor gets small (5' step into I-11 and maintains his Total Defense posture), knowing that the best thing he can do for the moment is get out of the way.

The Viscount
2014-07-17, 04:25 PM
Startling at the arrival of the flying beasts and recoiling from their piercing shrieks, Kestrel nocks an arrow to his bow.

Spirits protect me, they never stop coming.

Fort Save [roll0]
Attack vs V2 [roll1]
Damage [roll2] (+1 acid) Crit X3 [roll3]

ereinion
2014-07-18, 04:42 AM
Shouting over the din of battle, Ludo addresses Monty.

"HEY, MONTY, YOU SEEMED LIKE A KNOWLEDGEABLE SORT! DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE CRITTERS WE ARE FIGHTING!? PRIORITISING TARGETS WOULD BE EASIER WITH KNOWING A BIT ABOUT THE CAPABILITIES OF OUR OPPONENTS! I HAVE TO SAY, THESE FLYING SKULLS LOOK MIGHTY SUSPICIOUS, AND I DO NOT LIKE THE COLORATION ON THOSE MAGGOTS EITHER!"

If you allow that for a shouted conversation while we're battling. One of these are already done, but I am including it for completeness.

Knowledge (nature): [roll0]
Knowledge (the planes): [roll1]

Venger
2014-07-18, 10:05 AM
The treant shouts over the din of battle.

Leatherheads are vargouilles! They're screamers. Weather it once and you're good. If you get paralyzed, they'll do stuff to your body and turn you into one of them. One of you holy boys oughta be able to fix it though.

Those nasty-looking sushi rolls are dire maggots. They bite you and you're paralyzed. One-two punch with the leatherheads.

miinstrel
2014-07-18, 01:29 PM
Stevor holds his ground, shifting forward and parrying the incoming blows while Kestrel sinks an arrow through the jaw of the flying beast. It sticks, bobbing up and down as it gnashes its teeth.

Z1
Attack Monty: [roll0], damage [roll1], crit conf [roll2]

Z2
Step to Q9
Attack Ludo: [roll3], damage [roll4], crit conf [roll5]

Z3
Step to I9
Attack Monty: [roll6], damage [roll7], crit conf [roll8]

Z4
Attack Stevor: [roll9], damage [roll10], crit conf [roll11]

Z5
Attack LB: [roll12], damage [roll13], crit conf [roll14]

Z6
Attack Saul: [roll15], damage [roll16], crit conf [roll17]

Hit = Fort save DC 13. Failure = Sickened

Vargouilles: 8

V1 & V2 are 10 feet off the ground.

http://i62.tinypic.com/qq6feo.png

Venger
2014-07-18, 02:05 PM
Monty snorts as the zombies' attacks struggle to find purchase on his thick hide. He lowers his head and tramples through them, bringing his tail to bear behind him as he charges through, a breeze blowing through Stevor's hair.

monty trample vs. z5, z1, z4, m1, m2
[roll0]
ref DC: 18
rest in C10-D11

Ha! You heard him, folks, he cried havoc! Watch out, shorty!

The treant stands up to his full height and plows through the zombies and magots alike, stepping with surprising deftness around Stevor.

LB trample vs. z5, z1, z4, z3, m1, m2
[roll1]
ref dc 22
unsqueeze once Monty moves, trample left, avoiding stevor/kestrel. come to rest next to Monty in E9-G11

ereinion
2014-07-18, 02:19 PM
Ludo attempts to slide his sword under the zombie's chin, deciding to ignore the flying heads for now, as it seems their most dangerous ability has already been expended.
5-foot step to R7. Attack Z2.

Is it possible to enter the building by taking another 5-foot step to R6 next round, or does the dotted line indicate that it's blocked?

WhamBamSam
2014-07-18, 07:00 PM
The zombie's swing connects, and Saul feels bile rise in his throat in revulsion. Attempting to steady himself he once again urges his mount to attack and draws upon the power of the Grey Knight in an attempt to bring the creature down once and for all.

My Ride mod is still +10 with the saddle, even with the -2 from being sickened, so I make the check to fight with my warhorse on a 1.

Warhorse Full Attack:
Hoof 1

Hoof 2

Bite (overcomes zombie's DR)

Saul's Lance Attack: Smite Evil, Power Attack for 3

EDIT: I also fast heal one point of damage from Mass Lesser Vigor.

miinstrel
2014-07-22, 10:26 AM
Z1 save vs monty: [roll0]
Z4 save vs monty: [roll1]
Z5 save vs monty: [roll2]
M1 save vs monty: [roll3]
M2 save vs monty: [roll4]

Z1 AoO vs LB: [roll5] (-4 for trample included), damage [roll6]
Z3 AoO vs LB: [roll7] (-4 for trample included), damage [roll8]
Z4 AoO vs LB: [roll9] (-4 for trample included), damage [roll10]
Z5 AoO vs LB: [roll11] (-4 for trample included), damage [roll12]
M1 save vs LB: [roll13]
M2 save vs LB: [roll14]

As Monty tramples the creatures to the west, getting a rather satisfying squish from the maggots, Ludo brings his sword up straight into the head of the vargouille, impaling it and turning its burning green eyes to empty sockets as it perishes. Saul's horse sends the zombie reeling and off balance opening up the perfect opportunity for Saul to punch his lance through its throat. It gurgles as it falls to the ground, though as the blood isn't flowing through its veins it doesn't spray as you might expect.

The remaining vargouille flees into the night, flying up and over the buildings and disappearing into the dusky surroundings.

Bloodied: Z2

Oops... ignore V1 on the map. He fled.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2mzgmf9.png

pife
2014-07-22, 11:09 AM
Stevors blade halts at the end of one of his defensive sequences. Awkwardly seizing his holy symbol from around his neck, and stepping quickly backwards, he sets his back against the wall, and holds the silver symbol out before him, bellowing Flee before the righteous glory of the Lord of the Grave, mindless fiends! Then, to his companions, Ride them down, men, lest they come back when we are less prepared!

5' Step straight back against the wall, and turning Undead.

[roll]1d20+5[/roll
Damage [roll0]

The Viscount
2014-07-22, 11:59 AM
I hear you, Stevor. I will do what I can.

As he speaks one hears brief sibilant murmurs, quickly followed by the twang of his bow as he fires off a shot.

Snake's Swiftness centered in P9/O10, so Kestrel, Saul, and Ludo get an attack.

Attacking Z5 [roll0]
Damage [roll1] (piercing and slashing, plus 1 acid)

ereinion
2014-07-22, 12:09 PM
Bolstered by Kestrel's magic, Ludo quickly strikes out at the closest zombie, hoping to end its existence once and for all.

WhamBamSam
2014-07-22, 05:22 PM
Saul feels a sudden surge of quickness and despite his still churning stomach, makes to drive his lance into the back of the zombie that Ludo is fighting.

Still Power Attacking for 3 from my turn. Still sickened. No longer smiting.

My horse would have gotten an attack as well, but only has 5ft of reach. I'm really regretting not having it take that 5ft step.

miinstrel
2014-07-22, 09:20 PM
As Stevor steps back against the wall, the zombies move right along with him, unphased by the burst of divinity. Kestrel, Ludo, and Saul strike one of the zombies dead leaving but three in the gorey intersection.
Z1
5 foot to I11

Z3
5 foot to H9
Attack LB: [roll3], damage [roll4], crit conf [roll5]

Z4
5 foot to H10
Attack LB: [roll6], damage [roll7], crit conf [roll8]

Z5
5 foot to J11
Attack Stevor: [roll9] (-4 for attacking around a corner), damage [roll10], crit conf [roll11]

Bloodied:

http://i58.tinypic.com/fo24a0.png

Venger
2014-07-22, 10:06 PM
The treant laughs at the zombies clawing impotently at his shins and crushes them beneath his heels, tailed closely by Monty.

li'l buddy
trample damage vs z3, z4, z1, z5
[roll0]
ref DC 22

come to rest in J7-L9

monty
trample damage vs z4, z1, z5
[roll1]
ref DC 18

come to rest in K10-L11

WhamBamSam
2014-07-23, 01:22 AM
Saul looks over toward the intersection where the remaining zombies are, but sees his way blocked by the treant and ankylosaur. His warhorse trots into the middle of the lane and he lowers his lance, looking for an opportunity to attack.

Move to Q10-R11. Ready an action to charge with my horse if I get a clear path to an enemy. Power Attack for 3.

Saul's hypothetical lance attack
Damage: [roll1] (deals double damage)
Crit Confirm (if there's some non-undead that somehow gets charged): [roll2]

Horse's hoof (I'm assuming I can't direct it to bite with its charge attack instead)

Fast heal another point of damage. 4 turns remain until I can smite again.

ereinion
2014-07-23, 09:27 AM
Seeing that he can't reach any of the remaining monsters to attack, Ludo moves down the street towards the zombies, while carefully scanning the nearby buildings and sky for any more monsters which may be approaching, lured by the sound of battle.
Move to M12

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

miinstrel
2014-07-23, 12:54 PM
Z1 AoO vs LB: [roll0], damage [roll1], crit conf [roll2]
Z3 AoO vs LB: [roll3], damage [roll4], crit conf [roll5]
Z4 AoO vs LB: [roll6], damage [roll7], crit conf [roll8]
Z5 AoO vs LB: [roll9], damage [roll10], crit conf [roll11]

Z1 save vs Monty: [roll12]
Z4 save vs Monty: [roll13]
Z5 save vs Monty: [roll14]

The zombies continue clawing at the rampaging giants as they stomp them to the ground.

Ludo, as you search the street for anything of interest, the peculiar screech from inside the building at the NE corner of the intersection continues. A window on the second floor of that building is broken, presumably inward as there is no glass on the ground outside. There don't seem to be any other threats making their way toward you at this time, though you do also hear some moaning in the distance to the west.

Bloodied:

http://i60.tinypic.com/30sbwn6.png

ereinion
2014-07-23, 01:40 PM
"Hey guys, there seems to be some screeching coming from inside the building on the northeast corner of the intersection."

Ludo indicates the building the sounds are coming from.

"Assuming we manage to take down the last couple of zombies without too much trouble, I say we investigate."

He gets ready to move towards the door.

pife
2014-07-23, 02:42 PM
Stevor grunts in exertion as he searches for an opening in his disgusting opponent's defenses. That sounds..

Standard attack with his Bastard Sword [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

like a good idea, Ludo. Be.. Right. There!

*EDIT** That's right folks, that was a "1" I just rolled..

The Viscount
2014-07-23, 10:51 PM
Be wary! Something's not quite right about that noise. I will join you as soon as we finish here.

Having said that he looses another arrow, then drifts toward the ground, a brief expression of fatigue crossing his face.

Attacking Z1 [roll0]
Damage [roll1] (slashing and piercing, plus 1 acid)

Moving to O11 and landing.

miinstrel
2014-07-24, 12:04 AM
The arrow and blade go wide as the zombies saunter forth.
Z1

Z3
Step to I9
Attack LB: [roll3], damage [roll4], crit conf [roll5]

Bloodied:

http://i58.tinypic.com/b6ysqx.png

pife
2014-07-24, 07:40 AM
Stevor growls in pain and frustration as the putrid zombie bashes his shield aside and rakes his neck.

[roll0]

Venger
2014-07-25, 07:14 PM
Monty lashes out for the nearest zombie.

atk vs z1
[roll0]
dmg
[roll1]

The treant follows suit

full attack: 2 slams

slam 1 vs z3
atk
[roll2]
dmg
[roll3]

slam 2 vs z1
atk
[roll4]
dmg
[roll5]

WhamBamSam
2014-07-25, 08:14 PM
Saul grimaces. "Monty! Your fat ass is blocking my way," he shouts, riding up behind the dinosaur.

Ride to N10-O11. Dismount to M10. I'm assuming that being sickened is distracting.

Ride check to fast dismount (warhorse has a saddle): [roll0]

Mount Monty.

Ride check to fast mount Monty: [roll1]

"I'm starting to think you do like being ridden after all," the Binder laughs (though a bit less heartily than usual), as he attempts to drive his lance through the zombie that Monty is fighting.
Assuming I made either fast dismount or fast mount check, attack Z1, Power Attacking for 2, and accounting for the -2 to attack and damage from being sickened.

EDIT: Fast Heal another 1HP, 3 rounds left on my smite cooldown.

ereinion
2014-07-25, 09:55 PM
"Yeah, you two brutes are blocking the rest of us out of all of the action," Ludo agrees, as he squeezes between Monty and Little Buddy. Once he deems he has enough room to swing his sword, he cleaves at the closest zombie, attempting to split its head like a watermelon.

Move to J10. Attack Z3.

miinstrel
2014-07-26, 12:46 PM
One of the zombies goes down as Monty's tail smashes it to a a pulp against the cobblestone. Flecks of shattered rock ping against Stevor's shield.

Bloodied:

http://i57.tinypic.com/2j2gjn9.png

I'm kind of surprised that last one survived. Maybe I'll get one more hit in after all.

pife
2014-07-26, 01:03 PM
Frustrated at his apparent uselessness in this encounter, Stevor steels himself, moving quickly to attack the remaining zombie from behind before it can attack one of his friends.

Stevor moves H11-G10-H9 and attacks from behind

[roll0] (roll includes +2 for attacking from behind)
[roll1]

miinstrel
2014-07-26, 01:13 PM
His streak of unluck broken, Stevor charges forward bringing his blade cleanly through the final zombie's neck slaying the beast.

The street is quiet save for the screeching from that building. The body that started it all lies motionless and eviscerated near Stevor. The din of battle subsided, the party can hear moans in the distance to the west.

680 xp per player.

The Viscount
2014-07-26, 06:10 PM
Kestrel sighs as he lowers his shoulders and with them his wings.

They were right to call us. The restless dead are everywhere. I suppose we should investigate that house now, but stay alert.

Having said this he approaches the house, drawing his hatchet and affixing the small green crystal taken from his bow.

ereinion
2014-07-26, 06:17 PM
"Yes, we should. But first we should probably check to see if any of us needs to heal up first."

Ludo points up at the broken window he saw earlier.

"And if possible, it may be a good idea to try to have a look through that window, to see what we can inspect inside... Do you think that your companion is tall enough to do that, Monty?"

miinstrel
2014-07-27, 10:46 AM
The small, circular window is about 13 feet off the ground, so the tree can just barely see inside. It's quite dark and looks like an attic of sorts. There are rectangular shapes, you presume beds, up against the slanted walls and an open hatch that leads to the room below.

pife
2014-07-27, 01:26 PM
Stevor cleans the ichor off of his blade, and says a brief prayer of thanks to Kelemvor for guiding him and his stalwart friends safely through this latest horror. Keeping his blade and shield readied, he joins Ludo and the others, keeping an eye out all around, including the sky, to make sure nothing surprises them.

Venger
2014-07-27, 01:29 PM
The treant shares the layout of the building with the rest of the group.

Monty's fine. Nothing could get through that thick skull of his. He says he's ready when you are.

ereinion
2014-07-27, 03:50 PM
"Well, if everybody's ready, then I guess we'd better open that door," Ludo says, turning to the treant. "Maybe either you or Monty could give that door a good wallop?"

Venger
2014-07-27, 04:00 PM
The treant draws himself up with pride.

Sure thing. One side.

and attacks the door.

full attack against objects:
first
[roll0]
[roll1]

second
[roll2]
[roll3]

ereinion
2014-07-27, 04:10 PM
As soon as it is possible to pass through the door, Ludo rushes through it with his weapon at the ready, hoping to surprise whatever is inside.

miinstrel
2014-07-27, 04:14 PM
The door comes off its hinges with ease releasing the sound bottled up inside. The screech rattles your bones as you step inside and see what caused it. On the floor in the corner sits a man writhing about in the shed remains of his once luscious head of hair. In place of his ears he has sprouted leathery wings. Tentacles dangle from his chin and more have grown atop his scalp. His teeth have grown to pointed fangs. The skin around his neck has split in some sections as the ligaments inside begin to tear free of the body. It seems his transformation into a vargouille is very nearly complete.

ereinion
2014-07-27, 04:24 PM
Ludo rushes over and casts Protection from Evil on the man, hoping it will protect him from the evil influence of the undead parasite, though he doesn't really believe that it will work.

miinstrel
2014-07-27, 04:37 PM
The spell takes effect, but it doesn't halt the transformation. The sun is close to setting, you have approximately an hour before nightfall.

A Daylight spell or exposure to sunlight will temporarily halt the transformation, but a Remove Disease is needed to reverse it.

ereinion
2014-07-27, 04:53 PM
"My protection spell doesn't seem to have any effect on him! Do any of you guys have any idea of what can be done to stop the transformation!?"

Untrained assist on Knowledge (the Planes), if applicable:
Knowledge (the Planes): [roll0]

Venger
2014-07-27, 10:57 PM
The treant takes a knee and points at the man, looking to Monty as he grunts and lows.

Whatever you say. Lemme see.

assist planes
[roll0]

WhamBamSam
2014-07-27, 11:05 PM
After the fight concludes, Saul slides off of Monty and collapses onto his knees wretching onto the ground. He raises his head back up, clutching his stomach and smiling weakly up at Monty. "One of the few downsides to imaginary friends is that they can't hold your hair back for you while you puke."

With effort, Saul heaves himself back onto his feet and eventually his horse (assuming it looks like I can enter the building on horseback).

"My protection spell doesn't seem to have any effect on him! Do any of you guys have any idea of what can be done to stop the transformation!?"

"A lance through the face would probably do the trick," Saul offers helpfully.

The Viscount
2014-07-27, 11:29 PM
The spirits never really are much for helping when it does not suit them. Your input is appreciated, but we are trying to save the man as well as remove the beast.

Venger
2014-07-27, 11:35 PM
The treant presses a rooted hand to his temple, or the approximation thereof.

Shut up a minute, flyboy. I'm getting an idea.

He squeezes his eyes shut and the shape of his brow changes, lifting up and becoming more rounded.

With a rumble of creaking wood, he clears his throat, the snarls of his beard lying flatter and less tangled.

Always hurts. Anyways, if we can get this guy a little sunshine, it'll slap a bandaid on it. One of you goody-goodies got remove disease in your pocket?

Everchanging psicrystal: nimble>sage for the time being

pife
2014-07-28, 08:14 AM
Stevor studies the man, getting as close as he dares, and wracks his brain for a solution.

[roll0]

I.. Stevor falters. His head hangs low as he admits, I do not know how to help this man. Perhaps a merciful death is the best we can hope for. Stevor's face turns ruddy, his shame evident.

pife
2014-07-28, 04:09 PM
During the discussion about whether and how to help the poor man, and how best to find the paladin, Stevor has an idea..

I think I know how we can do both.

Reaching down to his belt, he retrieves his lantern, and sets it on the ground gently.

Merrilee? Merrilee, can you help us find this paladin, and let me know if there is a safe path to her?

miinstrel
2014-07-29, 10:40 AM
"I'd love to, sweetie, but you have to turn me on first!" The rest of you might be surprised to hear the lantern speak audibly. It pulses with a soft light on each syllable. "Just say the word, and I'll have a look around while you deal with this poor dear."

Stevor utters a few magical vowels and the lantern rises into the air, hovering there for a moment. "Ahhh, it feels so good to be dancing again! Thanks, dearest. I'll let you know if I find anything." Quick as a whistle, the lantern floats out the door, seems to "look" at the dinosaur and tree for a moment, and then is off into the air, shooting across the night sky like a star.

ereinion
2014-07-29, 04:27 PM
Ludo is visibly puzzled by Stevor's strange lantern.

"Will that... thing take long to return? If it functions as your wording suggests it does, that is quite the useful item, I'll have to see about acquiring one for myself..."

"At any rate we need to get this man out into sunlight, perhaps one of you could help me carry him?"

He looks quizically at the rest of the group.

"Anyway, while waiting for more information on the paladin I suggest we head towards the closest moaning sounds. One of the mules can carry the man and the sounds didn't sound that far away. If I understood Monty's... companion correctly there is nothing we can do to help this poor soul for now."

"Therefore, the most important thing is to delay his change, and hopefully making some headway with our other goals while waiting for more information."

Venger
2014-07-29, 04:33 PM
Yeah, yeah.

The treant reaches in and plucks the man off the ground, setting him atop one of the mules.

Just keep him in the sunshine and he won't get any worse.

He rubs at his brow, the shape changing back to the way it was, the bulge at his forehead becoming less pronounced.

back to Nimble

pife
2014-07-29, 07:15 PM
Stevor lends a hand, settling the man atop the mule as carefully as possible, and speaking to him gently , trying to reassure him that help is forthcoming.

miinstrel
2014-07-30, 10:48 AM
You eventually get the man loaded. He seems to be in a great deal of pain, and the shrieking changes from the high-pitched sound to a more dull, human moan of pain. The mule is rather spooked by the unnatural load it just acquired. Eventually you calm it and carry on to the west in the direction of what you presume are more zombies.
You feel a familiar voice in your head, Merrillee giving a report. "Well, I have good news and bad news. Good news is I found the paladin. Bad news is, she may not be alive when you find her. Better hurry. Due west."

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs13/i/2007/082/c/5/The_Village_Fountain_by_jermilex.jpg

You wipe the gore from your blades and trudge quickly on through the thickening shroud. Droplets of mist form on your clothing and run down to drip to the street below like so many tears.

Before you see anything you hear it: the grunt of exertion and the ting of a blade against stone. Ahead is a clearing, the street opening up into a small promenade. Boxes, carts, and tables have been piled up at the entrances into barricades. At least the one nearest you used to be a barricade. The components have collapsed inward allowing free access to the square. As you close in, you see zombies swarming around a lone figure. A woman in half-plate near the well in the center valiantly fights the zombies, but she is heavily outnumbered. On the far side of the square you see a familiar skeletal figure, blue energy dancing about its fingertips.

You note a new addition here: two horribly bloated, rotting bodies staggering forward with an uneven gait. Their bloodshot eyes dart back and forth, and a gurgling sound issues from deep in their throats.

Kestrel: [roll0] <<
Monty: [roll1] <<
Ludo: [roll3] <<
Stevor: [roll4] <<
Saul: [roll2] <<
Ashlyn: 2
Zombies: [roll5]

Bloodied:

http://i60.tinypic.com/2mzxo4g.png

The Viscount
2014-07-30, 07:45 PM
Kestrel springs upwards with a beat of his wings, flying towards the fray.

Hold fast, stranger! Help is on the way!

Having said this he makes the now familiar gestures as ropes of plant matter shoot outwards to the two zombies closest to her.
Move to space 10 feet above R10, kelpstrand on Z4 and Z5. No save.
Vs Z4 [roll0] ranged touch Grapple [roll1]
Vs Z5 [roll2] ranged touch Grapple [roll3]

pife
2014-07-31, 08:02 AM
Striding forward, Stevor first checks the sky to affirm that Merrilee is still aloft and safe, then bellows Creatures of Darkness and Hate, know that thy existence offends. Look upon this symbol and be undone!

Stevor walks to S10, and Turns Undead (4th time today, of 10 possible)
Turning Check [roll0] (Need to get to 10 to turn 6HD)
Turning Damage [roll1]

**Edit** Stevor can turn up to 7HD undead, 19HD worth

miinstrel
2014-07-31, 12:02 PM
Z4 is ensnared by the kelp, but it fails to entwine Z5... however Z1, Z2, and Z5 all begin to flee at Stevor's words.

pife
2014-07-31, 12:59 PM
Stevor smiles grimly, watching three of the abominations stagger away. But then, he sees something he hoped to never see again. By all the gods of Good and Light! Ware the bloated ones, they can sicken you at a touch, and explode like a massive boil when punctured.

Venger
2014-07-31, 04:32 PM
Monty trots forwards, giving the plague blights a wide berth. He stares at Ashlyn, his eyes flashing with power.

The treant clambers over the barricade, crushing a zombie in his path.

Hey missy! Dino here's gonna send you somewhen safe away from all this. Just let it happen. We'll take care of cleanup! Seeya on the other side.

LB trample, hitting z2 and barricade. Squeeze to fit into O8-P9

trample:
[roll0]
ref DC 18

Monty moves to p10-q11
manifest "time hop" on Ashlyn after Li'l Buddy tells her to willingly fail her save so she can be protected.

ereinion
2014-07-31, 10:38 PM
Deciding that he doesn't want the mules and wounded man to be ambushed while the rest of the party cleans up the undead in the area, Ludo casts a spell to keep them hidden from enemies while he advances towards the fountain, getting ready to slaughter some enemies.

Hide from undead on mules and man, then move to S12 while drawing sword.

WhamBamSam
2014-08-01, 02:52 AM
Saul lowers his lance and charges one of the foremost zombies.

Charge Z1 as I don't seem to have a clear path to any others. I think the most direct route places me at T10-U11. Power Attack for 3.

Saul's Lance attack
Damage: [roll1] (damage is doubled on a charge)

EDIT: Forgot the -2 to damage for being sickened. It's factored in on the attack roll though.

Warhorse's Hoof

miinstrel
2014-08-05, 12:56 PM
Ludo I'm going to put you at W11 as that's all your movement will allow. Let me know if you want to adjust that.

Also, sorry y'all for the delay. Had a crazy busy last few days.
Z2 AoO vs LB: [roll0], damage [roll1]
Ashlyn will vs Monty: [roll2]

As Monty and LB thrash forward, Saul's lance and horse hit home, mauling the zombie before him. Ashlyn is wide eyed and more than a little shocked to see you come stomping into the square and wholeheartedly resists your efforts to save her. "I can't abandon these people!" she says as you cast your spell.

The zombies saunter forth, clawing at whatever is nearest them. The bloated, plague stricken corpses shamble forward also and something you didn't notice before.... one of the zombies is covered in what looks like grave dirt. Newly risen? Whatever it is you are horrified when it charges at Ashlyn, raising its thick arms over its head and slamming them down on her sending her rocketing into the ground below leaving naught but a small pile of disturbed dirt in her place.
Knowledge Religion to know more about this guy.
Attack Z4: [roll3], damage [roll4]

Potential Reflex vs. Entomber: [roll5]
Z1
Withdraw to N12 (provokes AoO from Saul and Monty)

Z2
Withdraw to O12 (provokes AoO from LB, Monty, and Saul)

Z3
Attack LB: [roll6], damage [roll7], crit conf [roll8]
(remember -4 AC for squeezing)

Z4
Grapple to escape: [roll9] (he breaks his bonds)

Z5
Withdraw to I12 (no AoO's this time)

Z6
Move to M10
Attack Ashlyn: [roll10], damage [roll11], crit conf [roll12]

Z7
Move to M11

Z8
Move to N11

Hit = Fort save DC 13. Failure = Sickened (disease).
Charge Ashlyn: [roll13], damage [roll14], crit conf [roll15]

Hit = Fort DC 13. Failure = Sickened.
Hit = Reflex DC 16. Failure = entombed beneath the ground.
P1
Move to S11 (provokes AoO from Monty and Saul)
Attack Saul: [roll16], damage [roll17], crit conf [roll18]

P2
Move to L8
Attack Ashlyn: [roll19], damage [roll20], crit conf [roll21]

Kestrel: 22 <<
Monty: 19 <<
Ludo: 8 <<
Stevor: 6 <<
Saul: 5 <<
Zombies: 1

Bloodied:

http://i60.tinypic.com/ziszs4.png

miinstrel
2014-08-05, 12:59 PM
The deathlock at the back side of the courtyard holds his position, unleashing a small volley of missiles at Monty.
Cast magic missile: [roll0]

pife
2014-08-05, 02:46 PM
NO! Stevor is appalled, and more than a little overwhelmed. His instincts tell him to run, but he remembers all too well what creatures like these did to people. They had ruined his life, slaughtered his bride.. They had taken EVERYTHING from him. He had to attempt to save the valiant paladin.. Unless she had been turned to dust?

Stevor rushes forward, ignoring the flailing assault of the putrid husk beside him. He turns his bulk sideways as he tries to slip between the barrier and Monty, and rushes forward further, trying to get within range of more of the foul creatures. By Kelemvor's Grace, you shall bring harm to no more good folk. I am his Hand, and his Wrath, and I say BEGONE!

Ignoring the AoO of the Plague thingy, squeezing past the barricade and Monty, to end at P12, and Turning Undead (again). [roll0] Hopefully undead that are already turned do not count toward my turning damage. I don't think it does, but..

Turning Damage: [roll1]

Stevor can turn up to 9HD undead, 13 HD worth.

Venger
2014-08-05, 04:54 PM
Monty and the treant swat at the zombie as he runs past

Aoos vs z2:
monty:
atk: [roll0]
dmg:[roll1]

LB:

Monty blinks with irritation as Ashlyn resists his sanctuary and winces as the zombies' blows strike home against her.

The treant is uncharacteristically silent until Ashlyn is interred before them. He then gives a shrug.

It's your funeral.

Monty snorts as the deathlock's magic missiles sting him even through his thick hide.

The treant laughs.

Looks like some of us're fighting smart

He gets off his knees and stands erect, plowing through all that lies before him.

resume full size, unsqueezing. trample straight left then down, resting in H9-J11

trample damage vs z3, p2, z4, e1

[roll4]
ref dc: 22
knowledge religion vs entomber
[roll5]

Monty follows at the treant's heels, chuffing with effort

trample after him. rest in I7-J8

trample damage vs z3, p2, z4, e1
[roll6]
ref dc: 18
knowledge religion vs entomber
[roll7]

The Viscount
2014-08-05, 05:11 PM
Kestrel's eyes widen as he sees the paladin disappear.

The task at hand first. We can help her when we finish here.

Having said so he darts forward, aiming for the deathlock with long tendrils of kelp.

Move to L10, Kelsptrand ranged touch [roll0]
grapple [roll1]

ereinion
2014-08-05, 06:05 PM
Shocked at the strange creature's ability to bury the paladin with one single attack, and seeing that Kestrel will take care of the magic user, Ludo quickly decides that he has to bring down this abomination quickly, before it gets the opportunity to incapacitate any more of his allies.

Calling upon the power of the Lady of Strategy, he raises a hand and lets a blinding ray of energy shoot towards it.

"Begone from here foul creature, do not trouble the living any longer!"

He then strides forward, making ready to add his steel to the melee as well.
Sun Bolt at the Entomber, then walk to S10.
Ranged touch attack: [roll0]
Reflec, DC 18 or be blinded for 1 round.

WhamBamSam
2014-08-07, 05:30 PM
Saul strikes out with his lance at the fleeing Zombies, though he stops himself from striking the bloated corpse lumbering towards him, not wanting it to explode on his allies.

Attacks of Opportunity
Still Power Attacking for 3 from my turn. Penalties to attack and damage for being sickened accounted for.

Saul's AoO on Z1.

Warhorse's hoof AoO on Z1.

Saul's AoO on Z2 (Combat Reflexes)

In his hesitation, Saul suffers a blow from the corpulent monstrosity. (Not sure if the fort save means anything, as I'm already sickened, but here it is anyway: [roll6])

Resignedly, Saul decides that if it has to blast someone with rotting waste, it might as well be the one that feels like death warmed over anyway. Undead wouldn't be vulnerable to goading, but a few hits and some noise might still get its attention. As the creature turns its attention to swing at Ludo, Saul strikes at it with his lance and rides back a few paces, his horse kicking at the abomination as it rushes away.

Don't want to deal too much damage to the thing, as I don't have the oomph to put it down, and don't want to trigger it to blow, so I won't Power Attack this round.

Saul's Lance Attack
Attack: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]

Warhorse's Hoof Attack
Attack: [roll9]
Damage: [roll10]

Move to V11-W12. Fast heal 1 damage.

"Y'know, I think it's more disconcerting having the dead get up and walk around when they clearly weren't walking much in life. Could they not find a coffin that'd fit you or what?"

miinstrel
2014-08-07, 07:29 PM
Z3 AoO vs LB: [roll0], damage [roll1]
Z4 save vs LB: [roll2]
P2 AoO vs LB: [roll3], damage [roll4]
E1 AoO vs LB: [roll5], damage [roll6]

If entomber hits LB, Reflex DC 16. Failure = entombed beneath the earth! in a giant grave as it jumps up and slams the treant into the ground, "rooting" him haha! This will also negate any of LB's potential AoO's mentioned further down in the post and turn him back into his little crystalline self.

Z3 save vs Monty: [roll7]
Z4 save vs Monty: [roll8]
P2 save vs Monty: [roll9]
E1 save vs Monty: [roll10]

E1 save vs Ludo: [roll11]
P1 AoO vs Ludo: [roll12], damage [roll13], crit conf [roll14]

Any hits = Fort save DC 13. Failure = Sickened (disease)
The zombies claw vainly at the monstrous trampling they are about to receive, but the entomber has a shred of intellect. It raises its arms up and slams them down on the tree sending it also plunging into the earth. Surely a shock to everyone else. What fell power does this creature possess?

The deathlock at the back of the square is held helplessly at bay by the kelp, but its sinister eyes glow with power as it focuses its powers on Kestrel. Your wings seize followed by the rest of your body. You drop out of the sky, bang your leg against the edge of the well and go tumbling down into the darkness.

Ludo's spell strikes the entomber in the chest, taking advantage of him being off balance from the creatures rushing by him. As he steps into the fray, the bloated corpse mauls him with its surprisingly strong, flabby arms.

Sensing the imminent explosion, the entomber rushes forward and attempts to pile drive Stevor to an early grave as well.

The plague walker doesn't so much follow Saul as it is drug along by the lance. It seems to have stuck a squishy spot and you pull him along with you as you back up. At least he followed... you wrench it out as he approaches and he uses the momentum to bite at you.
Z1
Flee to H12 (provokes AoO from LB)

Z2
Flee to J15

Z3
Move to K7
Attack Monty: [roll15], damage [roll16], crit conf [roll17]

Z4
Remains entangled

Z5
Flee to F8 (provokes AoO from LB)

Z6
Move to P11
Attack Stevor: [roll18], damage [roll19], crit conf [roll20]

Z7
Flee to I12 (provokes AoO from LB)

Z8
Flee to I13 (provokes AoO from LB)

Hit = Fort save DC 13. Failure = Sickened (disease)
Move to O11 (provokes AoO from LB)
Attack Stevor: [roll21], damage [roll22], crit conf [roll23]

Hit = Reflex save DC 16. Failure = Entombed!
P1 (that was just fluff, he's moving normally)
Move to U11 (provokes AoO from Ludo and Saul)
Attack Saul: [roll24], damage [roll25], crit conf [roll26]

P2
Step to K8
Attack Monty: [roll27], damage [roll28], crit conf [roll29]
Swift: EXPLODE! damage [roll30]. Reflex DC 15. Failure = Nauseated for 1 round. Pass save = half damage.
This affects Monty, LB, Z3, and Z4

Hold Person SLA. Fortunately they don't require somatic components >:D.
Will save DC 14. Failure = Paralyzed 3 rounds. [roll31] falling damage as you clunk down the well.

Bloodied: Z1, Z3, Z4

http://i61.tinypic.com/scqqdt.png

Venger
2014-08-07, 08:09 PM
The treant gives a craggy smirk as the entomber tries to find purchase on his rough hide.

Cute trick. Lemme try.

He raises one leg and stomps on the entomber as he scrambles around his feet, grinding him into the dust.
LB AoO vs entomber
atk [roll0]
dmg [roll1]

He throws up his arms and shields himself from the exploding plague blight

ref save: [roll2]

Monty grunts as the wave of the plague walker's remains skims over his armored shell

monty ref save [roll3]

The treant rests a rooted hand on Monty's back, bracing himself from the explosion.

Gimme the juice

Monty chuffs and both he and the treant shimmer with a clear sheen as though they'd been coated with ice. The scent of ozone burns through the air as new branches blossom on the treant's face and arms.

Manifest vigor. Augment with additional 4 PP.

Yeah, that's the stuff

With renewed vigor, the treant lashes out at the deathlock turtling in the corner, coming down upon him, crushing his head between both fists, fresh thorns bristling along his knuckles.

full attack vs deathlock
slam1
atk [roll4]
dmg [roll5]

slam2
atk [roll6]
dmg [roll7]

pife
2014-08-07, 09:28 PM
Stevor holds steady against the assault, ducking under the lazy swing of the zombie and almost getting plastered by the fearsome beast covered with grime. Bringing his shield to bear and maintaining a tactically defensive posture, he chants the words that will bring his most powerful spell to bear against the creature. He will call upon the grace of Kelemvor to cast Searing Light, to scourge the undead monstrosity with cleansing light.

However, something goes terribly wrong. Stevor didn't spend as much time practicing casting his spells while simultaneously protecting himself as he should have. The rising power of Kelemvor fizzles into nothing, and Stevor cries out in frustration and rage.

The Viscount
2014-08-07, 09:37 PM
Kestrel freezes momentarily as the deathlock's eyes gleam with malice, then resumes his flight, correcting the slight drop.

The spirits protect me, though they do not seem to be so kind to you.

Turning his attention to the battle off to his side, he mutters again as he fires his now familiar green streamers at the bulk of the entomber and plague walker.

Nor will they be to your kith.

Will Save [roll0]
Move to M10
Kelpstrand Attack vs Entomber [roll1] Grapple [roll2]
Vs Plague Walker [roll3] Grapple [roll4]
No save

ereinion
2014-08-08, 02:17 AM
Fort vs. sicken: [roll0]

Attack of opportunity vs. P1 (Adamantine Longsword): [roll1], [roll2]

Fast heal one hpLudo stumbles as the Plague Walker hits him, and as a result the swing he makes against it as it pushes past goes wide.

Ignoring it for now, determined that it is the Entomber which is the greatest threat to the party, he calls upon the Red Knight for strength before striding forward, getting ready to end its miserable existence once and for all.
Cast Bull's Strength on myself, move to P9

WhamBamSam
2014-08-08, 06:03 PM
The ploy to draw the corpulent monstrosity away from his allies successful, Saul doesn't hesitate as he sees another chance to strike a blow as it moves forward to bite at him.

Attack of Opportunity against P1. Still not Power Attacking from last turn.

Attack: [roll0] (forgot bonus from being mounted last round)

He grimaces as his horse rears up to strike at the bloated corpse and he drives his lance down at the bloated undead before him, hoping to bring it down before it could explode, but resigning himself to the possibility.

Saul's Attack against P1. Power Attack for 4. Smite Evil.

Warhorse's Full Attack

Hoof 1

Hoof 2

Bite
Attack: [roll8]
Damage: [roll9]

Fast Heal a point of damage. Currently at 28 HP.

miinstrel
2014-08-09, 01:45 PM
P1 grapple vs Kestrel, DC 23: [roll0]

The entomber jumps out of the way of the thick root hurtling toward him and rushes off to find his next target. LB turns his attention on the deathlock, looming over him, and crushes his bones beneath his bark.

Kestrel's kelp wraps around the plague walker with ease, but the entomber proves to be too quick to catch, his unnatural speed saving him yet again.

Saul's horse and lance tear into the newly captured plague walker with ease, piercing holes all over its massive body.

The plaguewalker expands its massive body bursting the kelp before it can trap him. It lashes at Saul who sees the inevitable in its eyes a split second before it ruptures, sending rotting chunks of meat in all directions. Most of the zombies continue to flee, but the few still maintaining their faculties join the entomber in the assault.
P1
Attack Saul: [roll1], damage [roll2], crit conf [roll3]
Swift: Explode! damage [roll4]. Reflex DC 15. Failure = nauseated 1 round. Success = half damage.
Affects Ludo, Stevor, Saul, Z6, E1

Z1
Flee to F9 (provokes AoO from LB)

Z2
Flee to I15

Z3
Attack Monty: [roll5], damage [roll6], crit conf [roll7]

Z4
Struggle in vain

Z6
Attack Stevor: [roll8], damage [roll9], crit conf [roll10]

Z7
Flee to F12 (provokes AoO from LB)

Z8
Flee to F11 (provokes AoO from LB)

Smash Stevor: [roll11], damage [roll12], crit conf [roll13]

Bloodied: Z1, Z3, Z4

http://i62.tinypic.com/2uf9e6s.png

pife
2014-08-09, 02:08 PM
Stevor flinches involuntarily as he is coated with rancid gore from the Plague Walker. He is overcome with nausea, retching and gagging incontrollably. He is therefore an easy target for the zombie, and Stevor recoils against the hard blow from it's rotting arm. He staggers to the side, and it is simplicity itself for the Entomber to land a crushing blow against him.

Stevor is nauseated and Entombed. (And at 3 hit points) I will let Miinstrel narrate from here.

Venger
2014-08-09, 02:57 PM
Monty glares at the entomber. The air humming as a shard of crystal materializes from the aether and sails forward towards it.

crystal shard. augment with 4 additional pp.

atk [roll0]
dmg [roll1]

the treant swats at the zombie running between his legs and turns his attention on the zombie next to monty, beating at him.

aoo vs z1
atk [roll2]
dmg [roll3]

full attack vs z3

slam1
atk [roll4]
dmg [roll5]

slam2
atk [roll6]
dmg [roll7]

The Viscount
2014-08-09, 03:03 PM
If we act quickly we may be able to save him. Finish off the others and we will tend to the fallen.

Having said this Kestrel fires off another shot, then drifts down to the ground.

Attack vs Z3 [roll0]
Damage [roll1] slashing and piercing

Move to K13 and land

WhamBamSam
2014-08-09, 04:22 PM
The plaguewalker's attack deflects off Saul's armor, but both horse and rider suffer the full blast of the explosion. Saul swears, making to steady his horse and wipe the filth from his hair and face.

Move to V10-W11.

Fast heal 1 point of damage (now down to 17 HP). 4 Turns remain before I can Smite again.

ereinion
2014-08-11, 03:32 AM
Horrified at seeing Stevor disappear under the earth as well, Ludo is caught unaware as the blast of rotting flesh washes over him. Retching uncontrollably he attempts to put some distance between himself and the two monsters, hoping to avoid taking too much damage from them.

Move to P7. Fast heal 1 hp

Did the entomber and zombie get nauseated as well? :smallbiggrin: As someone mentioned it looks like there's a very real chance our mules got hit at least :smallsigh:

miinstrel
2014-08-11, 06:10 PM
Stevor you may make a grapple check on your turn to escape. DC = 20. First sucess means you got the dirt around you loosened enough to start working your way out. Second success = you're free.

While entombed you are suffocating. You can hold your breath for (CON score x2) rounds.

Kestrel I switched your attack to Z6 since LB killed Z3.
As Stevor bends over a moment, reeling from the putrefied filth the entomber brings his powerful arms down on his back and sends him into a shallow tomb just as it did with Ashlyn. Stevor you find yourself completely bound by dirt on all sides. It's beyond claustrophobic. Your instinct and willpower take over: escape or suffocate. There aren't any other options.

The entomber gleefully looks up just as the crystal sails toward him and leaps to the side as LB pummels another zombie to dust.

Kestrel takes a shot at one of the zombies and severs a tendon with his razor sharp arrows as Ludo steps back attempting to avoid the same fate.
Z6
Move to P8
Attack Ludo: [roll0], damage [roll1], crit conf [roll2]

Charge Saul's warhorse: [roll3], damage [roll4], crit conf [roll5]
(Provokes AoO from Saul)

Bloodied: Z1, Z4

You can obviously move through Ashlyn and Stevor's spaces without a problem as they're actually underground.

http://i59.tinypic.com/6rkmm1.png

Venger
2014-08-11, 06:33 PM
Monty charges to beat back the zombie accosting Ludo, giving a low bellow.

monty trample vs z6
[roll0]
ref dc 18

rest in q10-r11

The treant follows closely behind.

LB trample vs z4 and z6
[roll1]
ref dc 22
move normally, rest in n10-p12

ereinion
2014-08-11, 07:19 PM
Ludo slashes at the zombies head hoping to bring it down quickly.

Fast heal 1 hp.

Attack Z6. If it goes down, I suppose I'll move towards Z4 to take it down, if that is dead as well, I'll try to decide where Ashlyn is buried, and try to decide how hard it would be to help her get free without any tools (could my shield function as a makeshift shovel?).

The Viscount
2014-08-11, 08:57 PM
Kestrel briefly takes to the air before coming to perch on the barricade, firing off another arrow.

This one must have been very angry to become so strong.

Move to R12, attack E1 [roll0] damage [roll1] +1 acid, piercing, slashing, silver and magic

pife
2014-08-11, 09:56 PM
Stevor's mouth was filled with bile. Now, he finds it filled with dirt AND bile.. The darkness around him, the pressure of the soil, it all compounds to make his chest constrict. A lecture given long ago at the church in which some souls had reported being cognizant of their surroundings while in the grave came to mind. Horrified, Stevor begins to wriggle and thrash, the weight of the earth preventing him from moving. He opens his mouth to scream, and is rewarded by more acrid tasting soil. I have to get out! I'll never see her again! She's stuck out there, and I'll never SEE HER AGAIN!! Please, Kelemvor, help me!

[roll0]

Oh, for the love of Pete..

WhamBamSam
2014-08-12, 10:31 AM
Attack of Opportunity

Saul just barely manages to extricate himself from the saddle safely as his horse is interred beneath his feet. He steps back, dropping his lance and drawing his longspear.

Actions
Land in W11. 5ft step back to X11. Drop lance as a free action and draw longspear as a move action. Ready the lance to attack the next enemy that gets near me as a standard. Power Attack for 4.

Damage: [roll3] (Doubled against a charging enemy)

EDIT: Well, that didn't work. Fast Heal a point of damage to 18HP.

"Come on then," he snarls. "Let's see if I can't improve that face of yours."

miinstrel
2014-08-13, 01:13 AM
Z6 save vs Monty: [roll0]

Z4 AoO vs LB: [roll1] (-4 incl.), damage [roll2], crit conf [roll3]
Z6 AoO vs LB: [roll4] (-4 incl.), damage [roll5], crit conf [roll6]

Ludo slashes at the zombie putting a large gash in one of its arms moments before a clubbed tail catches the end and flings it into the air to land on the barricade, lending a hand with the defenses. One quick swing of the arm later and it's on the ground with the rest. In the street, Kestrel's arrow is dodged by the surprisingly nimble fiend. Saul lands off the horse dropping his lance and moving swiftly toward his spear, but in trying to set it against the entomber he lost that precious second. The muscled zombie moved in quickly. It seemed to almost be smiling.
Z6 (assuming he's still alive)
Attack Ludo: [roll7], damage [roll8], crit conf [roll9]

Hit = Fort save DC 13. Failure = Sickened (disease) (slain)

E1
Move to V11
Attack Saul: [roll10], damage [roll11], crit conf [roll12]

Bloodied: Z1, E1

You can obviously move through Ashlyn and Stevor's spaces without a problem as they're actually underground.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2m85rba.png

Venger
2014-08-13, 01:42 AM
A low hum of power reverberates across the battlefield, rattling in people's lungs like the beat of a deep, low drum.

The thick columns of Monty's legs blur as he lurches across the battlefield, his treant companion following in his wake.

manifest hustle. share with li'l buddy

He turns on the entomber, stepping in a tight circle, almost pirouetting on his stumpy feet and swinging his tail at the creature.

come to rest in V9-W10
atk +2 flank w/saul: [roll0]
dmg : [roll1]

The treant, stepping over the barricades, clubs his fists together around the entomber's head, trying to pop it.

Your turn to take a dirtnap, skinny!

li'l buddy uses the extra move action from hustle to get to S9-U11, resting there, then takes a full attack vs the entomber.

atk1 +2 flank w/saul [roll2]
atk2 +2 flank w/saul [roll3]

dmg 1 [roll4]
dmg 2 [roll5]

ereinion
2014-08-13, 03:05 AM
Seeing that none of the zombies are much of a threat anymore, and that his comrades have swarmed the entomber, leaving little room for him to get at it, Ludo decides to try to get the buried people out of the ground. Surely they must still be alive, they haven't been under for that long! He rushes over to where he thinks Ashlyn is buried and attempts to dig her out, using his shield as a makeshift shovel.

Fast heal 1 to 25.

Start digging Ashlyn out, basically. I assume the other three (four?) will keep the entomber busy, and the extra actions from Ashlyn and Stevor (assuming I get them out) will be more useful than me starting to hack away at the turned zombies :smalltongue:

WhamBamSam
2014-08-13, 01:13 PM
Attack of Opportunity
Still Power Attacking for 4.

Damage: [roll1] (forgot the +1 damage from the magic spear last turn)

Saul's first strike misses wide, but he lashes out a second time as the entomber rushes forward to strike another blow at him.

The Viscount
2014-08-13, 02:49 PM
A fine hit! Let's have another.

Kestrel briefly takes flight while drawing his spear, soaring over the entomber's reach and coming to land next to Saul. Speaking in rapid sibilant tones, he chants until the rest of the group feels the energy running through their bones.

Strike swiftly.

As if providing example he thrusts forwards with it.

Fly and land in X12. Cast Snake's swiftness centered on U10/V11, benefitting Saul, Monty, LB, and Kestrel.

spear vs entomber [roll0]
damage [roll1] silver

Venger
2014-08-13, 02:56 PM
Monty turns in a circle, smashing towards the entomber with his tail

atk: [roll0]
dmg: [roll1]

The treant kicks it in the shins along with the rest of the group.

pife
2014-08-13, 06:10 PM
Stevor begins to panic, attempting to wrench his body left and right.. He knows that he's not dead.. He still feels pain. But the interminable pressure is beginning to get to him already.

[roll0]

Fast Heal to 5

miinstrel
2014-08-15, 02:26 AM
The entomber jumps over Monty's tail as it swings by nearly clipping Saul in the process. As he comes over the tail a branch comes flying toward him. Fortunately he loses his footing and stumbles under it only to get caught by the branch coming the other way. It tags him hard right in the gut staggering him just long enough for everyone to get into position. Between the pounding and stabbing, he is almost buried in his own pile of dirt. The flickering light in his eyes fades.

You clean up the rest of the zombies quickly as they scramble away from their buried foe. Ludo continues his digging eventually revealing an arm that reaches up and grabs his followed by the paladin gasping for breath and coughing. Stevor follows suit in much the same manner. Above all they look relieved. Once the woman has her breath again she speaks pleasantly. "You have excellent timing. Had you not arrived when you did I doubt I could have held this last wave back. The zombies never breached the barricades before."

450 1,080 a piece. You survived!

Venger
2014-08-15, 02:34 AM
Monty bows his head toward Ashlyn and grunts.

The treant speaks for him, giving Monty a nudge.

Knucklehead here asked what's changed lately. He says he's glad we got here in time.

Speakin' of, I dunno why you turned down the dino's panic button. Guess you know we're not with the skels now.

ereinion
2014-08-15, 06:02 AM
"I'm amazed you've survived as long as you have, we had a hard enough time getting here, and we are four! You must be very skilled! I too am glad we arrived in time to save you from the gruesome faith those undead had in store for you, unfortunately it seems we were too late to save most of the rest of the village."

Ludo is quite impressed with how the paladin has managed to survive here for so long. As he mentions the other villagers, he remembers the man they found earlier, and glances back to see if the mules still are where they left them.

"Speaking of which, we found a man earlier, who had been infected by vargouilles. Unfortunately, neither I nor the other cleric in our party," Ludo indicates Stevor, "has memorized the magic necessary to save him, and he seems to be really close to turning. We were hoping that you, as a paladin, may have a cure disease spell handy? Especially as you've had some experience with the abominations which trouble this village."

"If most of our group is still fit for a fight, I think we also want to clear the undead out of as much of the village as possible before my companion's shapechanging spell runs out."

Ludo rests his hand on Monty's shell to indicate who he means, just in case there was any doubt.

"Once we've got these more pressing issues resolved, I'd be very interested to hear what you can tell us about the curse that's befallen this village. Most of the information we've managed to find so far has been really muddled."

miinstrel
2014-08-15, 10:12 AM
"One moment please," she interrupts as Ludo begins talking. She hurries over to the door in the NE of the square and pounds on it a few times. "It's safe. We need repairs immediately." A few seconds later two men, dressed similarly to the one who delivered the letter to you back at the little cottage, emerge with nails and hammers and go about fixing the barricade from the scraps of wood that remain. They both stare wildly at everyone, particularly Monty and LB, as they pass. A door in the SE opens as well and a boy in his late teens comes out clumsily to help. The door shuts loudly behind him.

"Terribly sorry for my rude behavior, but security has to come first. It's the only way we've made it this long. I am Ashlyn of the Lightbringers and likely came here for the same reason you all did." Turning to the tree... or the dinosaur? She seems unsure of which to speak to and so addresses them both. "I was fairly certain you weren't helping the undead, but I wasn't about to leave the fate of these people in the hands of strangers. For all I knew you could have been marauding looters. Please accept my apologies, I know you meant well. Not that I proved to be much help here anway..." She looks exceptionally disappointed with herself but manages to still make it inspiring.

As Ludo brings the mules into the square she looks at the poor creature on its back and a pained look crosses her face. "Would that I could. This is beyond my abilities to heal. All I can do is deaden the pain." She places a hand on the man's tentacled head, seemingly unafraid, and a warm glow shines into him. "If you're unable to stop this I'm afraid there's only one option. It's for the best. He won't feel a thing," she says grimly. You all know what must be done.

As the conversation continues, Monty and LB revert to their natural forms, and Ashlyn flashes a brief look of confusion as the one she thought was Monty turns out to be a small crystal. "By all means, please do kill as many as you can, though they just keep coming. We've killed those who didn't survive thrice over it feels. But if you're here to destroy zombies our aims coincide. Would you be willing to help me find my companions, escape town, and talk to Madam Eva?

"And what brings you here if I may ask? Are you the aid I requested?" She seems hopeful. As the adrenaline wears off she obviously feels the pain of her wounds. "Is anyone injured? I can't do much, but I am in your debt."

WhamBamSam
2014-08-15, 10:13 AM
Saul falls to his knees, gasping and just barely keeping himself propped up on his lance as he waits for the spell upon his body to slowly mend his injuries.

"Someone mind digging up my horse? I think he's still alive down there, though he could use a bit of patching up and is probably freaking out right now."