PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Very rough idea for a feat

qwertyu63
2014-06-24, 10:19 PM
Innate Arcana:
Prerequisites: Character level 3rd
Benefit: When you take this feat, choose a spell from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list of 1st level or lower. You gain that spell as a spell-like ability usable every 1d4 rounds (Caster Level is equal to your hit dice; Save DC is Cha-based).

This is just an idea that popped into my head. I thought someone might like to see it.

Afgncaap5
2014-06-24, 10:27 PM
I like it as a concept. It's sort of like a more powerful dragonmark. A bit of potential for abuse, sure, but it could make some excellent flavor for character backstory.

nonsi
2014-06-25, 02:13 AM
Mage Armor... Cure Light Wounds... (!!!)

Make it daily usage.

Temotei
2014-06-25, 02:28 AM
Mage Armor

I get that infinite healing can be scary, but mage armor? What about mage armor at will is unhealthy for the game? Also, the spell-like ability is chosen from the Sor/Wiz list.

What caster level is the spell-like ability cast at? I'm assuming equal to HD, but.

qwertyu63
2014-06-25, 07:43 AM
I get that infinite healing can be scary, but mage armor? What about mage armor at will is unhealthy for the game? Also, the spell-like ability is chosen from the Sor/Wiz list.

What caster level is the spell-like ability cast at? I'm assuming equal to HD, but.

Hell, I'm personally OK with infinite healing (just means the GM can balance all battles as if the party were at full hit points), but avoiding infinite healing was why I locked this into the Sor/Wiz list.

Also, thank you for pointing out the lack of CL; I'll go note it. I intended CL = HD and saves are Cha-based.

nonsi
2014-06-25, 10:04 AM

That's what happens when one replies while debugging :smallbiggrin:

ddude987
2014-06-25, 03:49 PM
I like it. Can't really think of any prestige's that significantly abuse this. I was a little confused by the at-will, and then a limit on when you can use it. Doesn't the limit make it not at-will? Also are you concerned with people spamming creation effects, like grease? I don't think giving your whole party mage armor or pro x all day is bad for the game, but it is powerful for 3rd level.

qwertyu63
2014-06-25, 09:09 PM
I like it. Can't really think of any prestige's that significantly abuse this. I was a little confused by the at-will, and then a limit on when you can use it. Doesn't the limit make it not at-will?

Depends on how you look at it. I am using at-will to mean there is no limit on how many times you can use it per day/encounter; I'm only trying to limit how often it is used.

Also are you concerned with people spamming creation effects, like grease? I don't think giving your whole party mage armor or pro x all day is bad for the game, but it is powerful for 3rd level.

Eh, I thought about bumping it up, but it seems too weak for the next feat slot (level 6 [level 5 if you play Pathfinder]). I'm not that concerned.

UristMcRandom
2014-06-26, 12:09 AM
Call me crazy/underinformed, but I'd be most concerned about someone taking Summon Monster I as their spell-like ability. Even if the 1st-level summon creatures are weak, the death of 1,000 cuts comes to mind.

Temotei
2014-06-26, 01:23 AM
Call me crazy/underinformed, but I'd be most concerned about someone taking Summon Monster I as their spell-like ability. Even if the 1st-level summon creatures are weak, the death of 1,000 cuts comes to mind.

It'd be pretty strong early, but quickly get much weaker. Past a certain level, you'd just use them for trap and arrow fodder, really. Which is what you use the spell for anyway past early levels. Death of 1,000 cuts would work if the monsters could actually hit their targets, but that's not usually the case without a natural 20 after early levels.

bekeleven
2014-06-28, 01:47 AM
Personally I'd say CL1, 1 round delay between casts, and must use components.

Still has power - Better than 98% of feats - but fewer abuses.