PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other [3.5 Monster] Slaughterfall

Afgncaap5
2014-06-24, 10:25 PM
I may be running a low-level one-shot adventure for a party in the near future, and I wanted a memorable boss fight for the near end of the story, and I was stuck on the image of a living waterfall as a boss. I came up with a few weird ideas and threw them together, and was wondering what people thought about the following creature which the ignorant commoners of the land ignobly refer to as a Slaughterfall.

Slaughterfall (AKA Euphratian)
Large Elemental (Water)
Hit Dice: 4d8+24 = 45 hp
Initiative: +1
Speed: 0 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (-1 size, +1 dex, +6 natural), Touch 10, Flat-Footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+8
Attack: Slam +7 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +7 melee (1d6+5)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Drench, Fluidity
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Flowing Rebirth, Natural Scenery, Flowing Form, SR 14, Elemental Traits
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +2, Will +4
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 12, Con 23, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 16
Skills: Hide +15, Listen +7, Spot +7
Feats: Snatch, Combat Reflexes
Environment: Temperate Forests, Mountains, Hills, Underground
Organization: Usually Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Alignment: Usually Neutral

Drench (Ex): As a water elemental; a slaughterfall can put out any fire or flame of large size or smaller automatically. It can dispell magical fires as if casting Dispel Magic (CL 4).

Flowing Form (Ex): While merely a Large creature, the Slaughterfall can reshape parts of itself to be effectively Huge if it wishes, granting itself bonuses (such as to Grapple checks). This also allows it to qualify for certain feats generally only available to Huge creatures (assuming it otherwise meets the prerequisites.)

Flowing Rebirth (Ex): As long as its waterfall continues to flow, the Slaughterfall restores itself to full hitpoints every round as fresh water flows into its space and the old, injured water flows away. Cold damage freezes water in place, however, and lowers the maximum amount of effective hitpoints that the Slaughterfall has for a period of 1d4 hours for every point of cold damage. As long as the waterfall flows, a Slaughterfall is effectively unkillable; however, reducing it from full hitpoints to below zero hitpoints in a single round will knock out the Slaughterfall for a period of one hour for every hitpoint below zero that it fell. In addition, Slaughterfalls are immune to polymorph effects, and other effects that force changes in shape.

Natural Scenery (Ex): At rest, a Slaughterfall appears almost identical to an actual waterfall. It gains a +8 racial bonus to hiding in appropriate environments (effectively anywhere that a waterfall might form). Even if a Spot check succeeds at noticing the Slaughterfall, it will probably be mistaken for nothing more than a waterfall with an unusual flow unless a Knowledge (Nature) or Knowledge (The Planes) check of DC 14 or a Bardic Knowledge check of DC 10 is passed to let the spotter know about the possibility that the waterfall is alive.

Fluidity (Ex): While largely immobile, a Slaughterfall can bend and flow in surprising ways, still allowing it to dodge as normal. In addition, while it only threatens squares within ten feet of itself, it can spend a full attack action to make two attacks beyond its threatened range at a rate of five feet per hit die (in this case, up to 25 feet away) for reduced damage (in this case, 1d4+2).

The Slaughterfalls, or Euphratians as they call themselves, are strange creatures that come into being near significant waterfalls. Some say that they are the product of natural events, like a dryad being tied to a tree, while others see them as water elementals who were mutated or altered by a powerful force. The Euphratians themselves seem to dislike speculation about their origins, and are generally focused on what is.

Far less hostile than their name would imply, Slaughterfalls are still fierce guardians of their land, particularly the waterfall that comprises them or anything hidden within or behind them. When they feel that an intruder is coming too close, a Slaughterfall will usually spring to life and use a combination of surprise and its alarmingly lengthy arms to persuade oncoming creatures to stay away.

Slaughterfalls speak Aquan when they aren't pretending to be a common waterfall, and they usually speak Common as well. Depending on the nearby communities, however, some Slaughterfalls speak a language other than common (Sylvan, Elvish, and Dwarvish in particular appear to be favorites, though other languages aren't unheard of.)

Debihuman
2014-06-25, 04:21 AM
This is a good solid monster, just a few errors in it though.

I like the name a lot. Slaughterfall is evocative, but I'm not much of a fan of Euphratian. That's too real world specific for me especially because the Euphrates is a river not a waterfall. You could name them after a real waterfall like Kalandula.

Hit points (2 words) should be 42 not 45. 4.5x4=18 + 24=42. If you give it the Toughness feat, you gain the 3 extra points.I recommend giving it Snatch as a bonus feat and then giving it Toughness. Minimum size for Snatch feat is Huge (being able to increase its size shouldn't count--esp. for low level monsters). If you gave Snatch as a normal feat from Flowing Form, then you can't use it as a bonus feat so it loses the hit points. Snatch is a much better bonus feat than Toughness in any case. This also requires some rewording in Fluid Form. More on that below.

Reach should be noted as 10 ft.(25 ft. with fluidity).

It has a lot special abilities for its HD with the corrected mechanics, some of these may be overpowered. SR 14 might be too much even if it is immobile. Changing to Huge might be too much to sic on low-level players.

See section on Improving monsters by size here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases.

I strongly recommend a change to Flowing Form so that it is just a temporary Change Size ability and because it needs better game mechanics. How long can it maintain this extra size? Here is my suggestion but it is still pretty powerful so feel free to change it.

Flowing Form (Ex): Three times a day as a standard action, a slaughterfall can increase in size to Huge. When it does so, it gains the following: +8 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, + 3 Natural Armor and -1 to AC/Attack. Its bonus to grapple increases by +4. A Huge slaughrfall's slam attack deals 1d8+9 points of damage. A slaughterfall can maintain this size for 1d4 rounds plus a number of rounds equal to its normal Con modifier, after which, it shrinks back to normal as a swift action. Creatures in range of the slaughterfall when it changes size (it has a space of 15 feet in Huge size) may make a Reflex save (DC 12) to get out of the way. The save is dexterity-based based on the new Huge size.

Because of Flowing Form's update, Fluidity needed a minor tweak to state what happens to its damage in Huge size. I also changed the awkward opening sentence since the creature doesn't have Dodge:

Fluidity (Ex): Despite its immobility, as full-round action a slaughterfall can increase its reach to threaten an area up to 25 feet away (its reach extends 5 feet per hit die), in exchange for doing reduced damage on its slam attacks, to 1d4+2. If used when in Huge size (from Flowing Form), its slam attack does its normal damage (1d6+5). Its reach does not extend beyond the 25 foot maximum even if the slaughterfall is in Huge size.

Debby

Afgncaap5
2014-06-25, 06:11 PM
This is a good solid monster, just a few errors in it though.

I like the name a lot. Slaughterfall is evocative, but I'm not much of a fan of Euphratian. That's too real world specific for me especially because the Euphrates is a river not a waterfall. You could name them after a real waterfall like Kalandula.

Hit points (2 words) should be 42 not 45. 4.5x4=18 + 24=42. If you give it the Toughness feat, you gain the 3 extra points.I recommend giving it Snatch as a bonus feat and then giving it Toughness. Minimum size for Snatch feat is Huge (being able to increase its size shouldn't count--esp. for low level monsters). If you gave Snatch as a normal feat from Flowing Form, then you can't use it as a bonus feat so it loses the hit points. Snatch is a much better bonus feat than Toughness in any case. This also requires some rewording in Fluid Form. More on that below.

Reach should be noted as 10 ft.(25 ft. with fluidity).

It has a lot special abilities for its HD with the corrected mechanics, some of these may be overpowered. SR 14 might be too much even if it is immobile. Changing to Huge might be too much to sic on low-level players.

See section on Improving monsters by size here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases.

I strongly recommend a change to Flowing Form so that it is just a temporary Change Size ability and because it needs better game mechanics. How long can it maintain this extra size? Here is my suggestion but it is still pretty powerful so feel free to change it.

Flowing Form (Ex): Three times a day as a standard action, a slaughterfall can increase in size to Huge. When it does so, it gains the following: +8 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, + 3 Natural Armor and -1 to AC/Attack. Its bonus to grapple increases by +4. A Huge slaughrfall's slam attack deals 1d8+9 points of damage. A slaughterfall can maintain this size for 1d4 rounds plus a number of rounds equal to its normal Con modifier, after which, it shrinks back to normal as a swift action. Creatures in range of the slaughterfall when it changes size (it has a space of 15 feet in Huge size) may make a Reflex save (DC 12) to get out of the way. The save is dexterity-based based on the new Huge size.

Because of Flowing Form's update, Fluidity needed a minor tweak to state what happens to its damage in Huge size. I also changed the awkward opening sentence since the creature doesn't have Dodge:

Fluidity (Ex): Despite its immobility, as full-round action a slaughterfall can increase its reach to threaten an area up to 25 feet away (its reach extends 5 feet per hit die), in exchange for doing reduced damage on its slam attacks, to 1d4+2. If used when in Huge size (from Flowing Form), its slam attack does its normal damage (1d6+5). Its reach does not extend beyond the 25 foot maximum even if the slaughterfall is in Huge size.

Debby

Ah, very cool. Good ideas, thanks. I'm a bit leery about the possibility of it doing max damage at the greater distance, but in a fair fight it probably wouldn't cause too much trouble.

Debihuman
2014-06-25, 08:18 PM
Ah, very cool. Good ideas, thanks. I'm a bit leery about the possibility of it doing max damage at the greater distance, but in a fair fight it probably wouldn't cause too much trouble.

The problem with increases in size is an increase in damage. Huge critters pack a wallop. Since you mentioned you wee the DM, just do what all good DMs do and fudge the monster rolls if the party gets in too far over their heads or have some reinforcements ready as back up just in case.

Vorpal Tribble’s CR estimator

#1. Divide creature's average HP by 4.5 to 6.5.
4.5 for 5 HD or lower, 5 for 6-10 HD, 5.5 for 11-15 HD, 6 for 16-20 HD., 6.5 for 20-25 HD.

45/4.5= 10

#2. Add 1 for each five points above 10 its AC is, subtracting 1 for every 5 below.

#3. Add 1 for each special attack (+2 to +5 or more if it has a decent number of spells in its spell-like abilities).

#4. Add 1 for each quality unless you deem it worthy of more. Add 1 for each resistance and 10 points of DR it has, and 2 for each immunity. Subtract 1 for each vulnerability.

#5. Add 1 for every two bonus feats it has.
#6. Divide total by 3. This should be its rough CR.

19/3 = 6. Are you sure that you want to put the PCs against this? What is the party level?

In my estimation, you'll be looking at a Total Party Kill if you unleash this on a 3rd level party. I recommend that this critter lose Flowing Rebirth (letting it regain full hit points every round guarantees a TPK). It probably shouldn't have any spell resistance.

In a fight against 3rd party PCs, I'd only let it go to Huge size for 1 or 2 rounds at most. Just because a creature CAN do something, doesn't mean it has too. Good luck with it.

Debby

Afgncaap5
2014-06-25, 08:47 PM
Good point. The monster was made with me knowing about a set of magical icicles that the players would be getting that would make cold damage cheap and easy, but against a standard party who won't have that kind of thing the danger gets ramped up. Thanks.