PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Hideaway & Flick of the Wrist

RevokFarthis
2014-06-25, 01:39 AM
Alright 'yall, I've got a question for you. Will the feat "Flick of the Wrist" work in conjunction with a compacted weapon of Hideaway (if the weapon is not a light weapon when unfolded)?

>I'm currently designing a character for a 3.5 campaign and I don't want to tweak anything. I'm trying to build this character purely within the parameters set by WotC, (no Homebrew, no e, nothing that is not from the official books)<

I want to give this character an Elven Courtblade of Hideaway and I want to know if it is possible to use this in conjunction with Flick of the Wrist even though it's not a light weapon unfolded. I've recently read the Magic Items Compendium entry for Hideaway which states:
"When activated, a hideaway weapon folds up into a bundle two size categories smaller than you, making it easier to conceal. You gain a +2 bonus on slight of hand checks to conceal a hideaway weapon when it's folded up (as though it were a dagger)"
So, when it's folded, does it get treated like a light weapon for the purposes of feats that check if you are using a light weapon? (if so, this has incredible potential to be abused, like so:
Hideaway+FotW+high Strength+Power Attack+Weapon finesse+high Dexterity= "Oh, well, in that case; Suddenly, Greatsword from out of nowhere swinging for ALL the damage!!!)

Anyway, any help that you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(Also, this is my first post of any sort to this site, if I posted this thread in the wrong place, please let me know, I'd like to post this where I can get the most help from it.)

sideswipe
2014-06-25, 06:33 AM
i would say no. since the position of the full stop means you take both sentences separately.

When activated, a hideaway weapon folds up into a bundle two size categories smaller than you, making it easier to conceal.

this could be interoperated like weapon sizing and therefore counts as a light weapon when being drawn. but as soon as it is drawn it is no longer light.

You gain a +2 bonus on slight of hand checks to conceal a hideaway weapon when it's folded up (as though it were a dagger)"

this only talks about the folded weapon, that you would treat it like a dagger until it is unfolded or drawn, in which case it instantly becomes your other weapon.

so. if you have an ability that lets you draw and attack with a light weapon, yes you may draw it but then it ceases to be one and you cannot attack.
with the feat FOTW - it ceases to be the light weapon you drew once drawn, so i say no.