PDA

View Full Version : Help with sorc 4 with custom runicstaff spell selection

Arparrabiosa
2014-06-25, 04:09 AM
Hi there folks,

I’m starting a duo PbP campaign with an evil aasimar sorceress 4, planning to get to ruathar at 7th. I’m not sure which class the other guy will get, but we will have some NPCs by our side, so hopefully we’ll get a balanced team. The DM allowed me a custom runic staff and I will get SLA from Fey Heritage chain. I was wondering if you could help me with the spell selection. Which spells should I get as a sorc and which ones should go to my runic staff?

My idea is something like this:

Spells Known (6/3/1)
2—Glitterdust.
1—Grease, Magic Missile, Mage Armor.
0 —Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation.

Runic Staff, arcane spy/conspirator theme. Not sure about which spells and how many uses of them, so I’ll list them all.

3º — Clairaudience/Clairvoyance
2º —Alter Self, Invisibility, Detect Thoughts, Eagle Splendor
1º —Comprehend Languages, Charm Person, Silent Image

We have 9000 gp in equipment. So after a Cloak of Charisma +2 I have 5.000 gp to play with.

For the record, mi stats after racial adjustments and the cloak are: Str 9, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 21

Thanks a lot in advance!

ericgrau
2014-06-25, 06:16 AM
You want spells you can use nearly daily rather than now and then. So among those invisibility, charm person and silent image. Note that even those frequently need to be used outside of combat. Though invisibility may help you and your party avoid combat entirely and a charmed creature may be useful in a future combat. Silent image is even trickier because it depends on the DM. But if the DM does it properly then an illusion that is subtle enough that it doesn't get examined has no save and you can likewise prevent combats. For example a fake wall on a side passage gets ignored like the other 100 feet of wall. Unless you have silent spell it also helps to be fair away from your illusion so that they don't hear you casting it, otherwise that might prompt them to come examine it. Listen DC is 1 per 10 feet (base DC 0 plus distance penalty).

The other spells don't get used frequently and belong on scrolls. 25 gp for the one time you finally do use it is a way better deal. Buy tons and tons of cheap level 1 and some level 2 scrolls. You can get a ridiculous number of different spells for only a few hundred gp or so. 1 or 2 of each, or equal to the number of party members if you need to tag everyone with it.

The big issue with clairvoyance on a sorcerer is that its range is only good for dungeons, not wilderness or cities, and even then it's of limited help. So half the time you have a useless high level spell. Better on a wizard who can usually prepare something else until dungeon time comes (and even then only on certain dungeons).

Arparrabiosa
2014-06-26, 04:48 AM
Thanks a lot.

So having Glitterdust, Grease, Magic Missile, Mage Armor known and invisibility, charm person and silent image from the runicstaff will cover most of my day-to-day needs? Am I missing any important spell?