PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What happens to you when you shapeshift while severely wounded

Mexikorn
2014-06-25, 05:54 AM
Like, I'm just wondering. I'm a level 3 druid and in my last session I got a critical dire dagger thrown into my knee cap, the enjury is bad enough that I might have to amputate the leg. Now what would happen if I shapeshift into a tree, just ffs? (and back) I still got 1 spell left to cast, but the rhetorical question is for all shapeshifting forms. What if you had no legs but would turn into a tree, would I be without roots, or with the bottom half missing. What if you turned into a ooze or a fish. How do wounds on your actual body reflect when you shapeshift.

Eldan
2014-06-25, 05:59 AM
That depends entirely on the system. Even different editions of D&D handle it differently.

Phoenixguard09
2014-06-25, 09:57 AM
This answer is not rules-based, simply how I would rule it if it cropped up in my game.

First of all, it would depend on the type of magic involved in the shapeshifting, but as a Druid turning into something goes, I'd say that the form shifted into would not be affected by the injury, but upon returning to the base form, the character would again have issues.

Promoting character development there. Would the character consider living as a beast too great a price for the ability to walk? How would he feel about flying? Is the pain too much and just go tree for the rest of time?

THe possibilities are endless.

Just my 2c. :smallsmile:

Doorhandle
2014-06-26, 12:55 AM
Like, I'm just wondering. I'm a level 3 druid and in my last session I got a critical dire dagger thrown into my knee cap, the enjury is bad enough that I might have to amputate the leg. Now what would happen if I shapeshift into a tree, just ffs? (and back) I still got 1 spell left to cast, but the rhetorical question is for all shapeshifting forms. What if you had no legs but would turn into a tree, would I be without roots, or with the bottom half missing. What if you turned into a ooze or a fish. How do wounds on your actual body reflect when you shapeshift.

Way I'd put it is that wound are concurrent with the shapeshifted form. So if you lost an arm and transformed into a bear, you'd be a bear without an arm. Things without the right anatomy would just end up with related injuries (ex. a few torn msucle with the fish, or a chuck taken out fo the ooze.) It's concurrent with several folklore stores, where a hunter shoots a wolf and in the next morning finds a man with a similar injury who's actually a werewolf and was the one hit.

Same logic behind how shapeshifting works in pathfinder. If you're a strong man, you become a strong bear,