PDA

View Full Version : Monks, armor enhancements

NumbersLetters
2014-06-25, 12:44 PM
I know its not Monkday but...

Is there a way for monks, in pathfinder or 3.5, to be able to use armor enhancements?

I seam to remember there was a way to treat a robe as armor for the purpose of enchanting it, but that might only be WoD.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-25, 12:51 PM
I think you can enchant a robe as armor. I'm 99% sure that you can put armor enchantments on Bracers of Armor, though.

KillianHawkeye
2014-06-25, 12:54 PM
Not sure on enchanting a robe as armor. I know there are some robes that grant an armor bonus to AC, but that isn't exactly the same thing.

Putting armor enchants on Bracers of Armor definitely works, though.

Segev
2014-06-25, 12:55 PM
Grod_The_Giant is quite right on both counts. You can benefit from armor enhancements on mundane clothing.

The one questionable thing is that there is argument that, if you enchant your robe as armor, it counts as, well, armor, and thus negates your "can't do this in armor" abilities as a monk. If your DM rules that way, you will want the bracers of armor, instead.

If he does not (and, outside of a possible and definitely pedantic reading of the RAW, he shouldn't), then either method works.

Asteron
2014-06-25, 12:56 PM
My groups have always allowed robes to be enchanted like armor because it is allowed by Magic Vestment. I never really looked for any actual RAW, but it made perfect sense to us.

NumbersLetters
2014-06-25, 01:00 PM
I didn't realize that you could put enhancements on bracers of armor.

Besides that magic vestment works on clothing is there anything else to suggest that normal clothing can be made into magical armor?

Rubik
2014-06-25, 02:24 PM
Warforged monks can enhance their body plating, and said plating works with monk abilities just fine.

lytokk
2014-06-25, 02:29 PM
I have to ask, where is it stated that Bracers of Armor can be enchanted just like normal armor? And would armor enhancements stack between these and a suit of say full plate? Not the armor bonus, but any enhancement bonus or special ability?

Runeclaw
2014-06-25, 02:30 PM
I didn't realize that you could put enhancements on bracers of armor.

Besides that magic vestment works on clothing is there anything else to suggest that normal clothing can be made into magical armor?

I think it's more of a common house rule. It's like think of clothing as Armor with an Armor Bonus of 0. I don't think there's much RAW support for it, but it would be a big advantage for Monks (who need it) as well as Wizards (who do not).

I think Unearthed Arcana might have something suggesting it in an option rule on level-based AC bonuses, but I don't have that book handy.

Edit: Found it, sort of: "Characters may still desire the properties of a specific kind of magic armor or of armor special abilities. Be prepared to create new magic items, such as cloaks, robes, vests, or vestments, to support those desires." http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm

So, an encouragement to create custom items as part of an optional rule - quite a long ways from anything official...

Rubik
2014-06-25, 03:19 PM
The 3.0 Arms & Equipment Guide also had information on enhancing bracers of armor like that.