PDA

View Full Version : My Little Pony: Slice of Life is Magic III (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Humble Master
2014-06-25, 01:53 PM
Though the tunnel is cramped you are able to squeeze down it and bring the box with no problem. "Be careful." Nychid calls as you enter the crawlspace. The tunnel finally opens into a very strange room. The walls are clearly of Changeling design, looking almost organic and having small bioluminescent fungus growing in alcoves for light. The floor is covered in stains from various chemicals and tables bear empty vials made from hardened Changeling mucus as well as some odd tablet like things are positioned around the place. Cabinets and shelves are stocked with vials of various chemicals labeled in Changlic as well as crystalline measuring devices. On one wall is a massive stone door with some kind of Changlic inscription. "Well" Subtle says "Looks like we're on the right track!"

The room is definitely an old Changeling alchemy lab though how old you can't say. The vials hold a variety of chemicals: Hydrogen Dioxide, Sulfuric Acid, Cupric Ore Powder, Cupric Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Acetic Acid ect. You can see on the door some ,agical Changeling runes which probably serve as a some kind of magical lock. The writing on the door reads:

"This door shall open only when it is covered by a specific substance. This substance can be lethal if inhaled and dissolves almost all materials. Once an individual's body becomes dependent on this substance prolonged separation can cause death. This substance is everywhere and is well known. Yet, nothing is being done to eliminate it."

The tablets on the table are some kind of specially cured Changeling carapace that seem to have Changlic writing on them. Perhaps thy were used as a sort of paper.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-25, 02:06 PM
Adepha looks around the room, seeing a whole bunch of really old sciencey stuff, though for some unexplained reason she seems particularly averse to the tablets on an almost instinctual level. However she comes to focus on the door. Hey. She says aloud. What's that say? The nymph says, pointing at the door.

Rater202
2014-06-25, 02:10 PM
Well, that's highly disturbing.

These Tablets are made of Changeling Shells.

That's not right. Taking part of somelings body for paper...

Emperor Ing
2014-06-25, 02:27 PM
Adepha goes pale (or at least as pale as the dark-carapaced changling can go) upon learning of such a morbid practice. She only stands there, mouth open aghast at the revelation before finally managing to speak.

EEEEEEEEEWWW!!!

Rater202
2014-06-25, 02:53 PM
Wait. whoever did this might not have killed them to get the shells.

They could've just used shells left over from the changeling thing.

Does that make it better or worse?

DigoDragon
2014-06-25, 03:06 PM
"Used like paper?" Sabina asked. "Wait, changelings are part tree?" O_o`

Emperor Ing
2014-06-25, 03:25 PM
NO! No no no no no no no- Adepha repeats over and over again as she races against time to stuff her hoof into Gear's mouth. Don't talk about the changling thing!

DigoDragon
2014-06-25, 03:38 PM
"What about the tree thing? I'm confused about that part."

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-25, 04:33 PM
Spark looks at the Door, and then all of the solutions of Chemicals. What did this riddle want him to solve. what can something be dependent on and yet also be deadly to have. Spark mumbles as he tries to solve the riddle.

Gear can i see those pages.

Comprehension
[roll0]+6=15

Rater202
2014-06-25, 04:55 PM
NO! No no no no no no no- Adepha repeats over and over again as she races against time to stuff her hoof into Gear's mouth. Don't talk about the changling thing!

Gear responds by licking the hoof currently jammed in his mouth.

Humble Master
2014-06-25, 05:00 PM
Subtle walks over and picks up one of the tablets, observing the paper-like carapace. "I don't think there is a tree-thing Sabina. I'm pretty sure these sheets are just made from discarded cara... erm, never mind." Subtle didn't want to upset Adepha any more. At that moment, Nychid pops out of the tunnel. "I heard something! Is everyling alright?" she then notices Adepha freaking out over the reused Changeling shells. "Oh, that. Maybe I should have warned you. So, did you manage to solve the riddle?"

Some of the tablets read in Changlic:
"The Infiltrator Cadre have requested 2 more Feeding Cocoons. Deposit them at the usual drop-off point by the amphitheater." It appears to be some kind of work order for the alchemists.
"Notice: Don't drink the Conversion Fluid!" A work warning?
"Flask 1 has shown a 11.5% increase in gel density after the first week. Flask 2..." It is some kind of scientific journal. You can't really make heads or tails of it.
There don't appear to be any clues regarding the riddle.

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-25, 05:06 PM
Yes can we get some water Mrs. Nychid. I need enough to cover that door there. Spark point to the door with the magical lock. Then Spark moves to separate Adepha and Gear, Those two today were really going at it.

"Used like paper?" Sabina asked. "Wait, changelings are part tree?" O_o`
They can't be made out of trees Sabina, or Sedona would have been really hurt the first time we met.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-25, 05:35 PM
Gear responds by licking the hoof currently jammed in his mouth.

Adepha quickly withdraws her hoof. Eeewww, Gear! That's gross!

Rater202
2014-06-25, 05:57 PM
Adepha quickly withdraws her hoof. Eeewww, Gear! That's gross!

If you don't want saliva on you hoof, you shouldn't shove it in somepony's mouth.

Seriously, when did ponies start doing that?

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-25, 06:09 PM
If you don't want saliva on you hoof, you shouldn't shove it in somepony's mouth.

Seriously, when did ponies start doing that?
Spark taps Gear on the shoulder, Changling, Gear, and what did you expect? the thing is a sensitive topic.

DigoDragon
2014-06-25, 06:22 PM
"Okay, now I'm completely confused!" Sabina exclaims. "We're grossed out over paper made from changelings but it's not paper because they're changeling skin-shell-thingies which are like paper but not tree paper so I think I kind of get that at least but now we're talking about gross saliva which is not really gross because my mom apparently uses it to clean dirt off my face all the time unless her saliva is made out of some kind of cleaner but I just assumed saliva is mostly spit-water and bubbles and you can't really live without saliva cause you'd be all dried up and shrivel like a raisin or something so what are we on about again?"

Rater202
2014-06-25, 06:24 PM
Spark taps Gear on the shoulder, Changling, Gear, and what did you expect? the thing is a sensitive topic.

...I was trying to change the subject, Spark

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-25, 06:34 PM
Spark points to the ceiling and dramatically says. WE NEED WATER. he then smiles to his friends.
Also it would seem that E-rocks may have first been made here. Spark then looks to Nychid again.

Also Mrs. Nychid were would an Amphitheater be around here in the hive?

DigoDragon
2014-06-25, 06:50 PM
"Water? Why, are you thirsty?"

Emperor Ing
2014-06-25, 07:04 PM
The nymph shakes her hoof, pawing it across the ground to try and dry it off, giving Gear a grumpy look. We do it when ponies start talking about things like the changling-wait. A look of surprise, then abject horror appears on Adepha's features. How do you know about the changling thing?

Rater202
2014-06-25, 07:21 PM
The nymph shakes her hoof, pawing it across the ground to try and dry it off, giving Gear a grumpy look. We do it when ponies start talking about things like the changling-wait. A look of surprise, then abject horror appears on Adepha's features. How do you know about the changling thing?

Gear, sensing that his life may soon be in danger, quickly places a lot of space between himself and Adepha.

ItwasSabina'sidea! Shegotcuriouswhenweheardthecrackinganddraggedustot helibrarysoshecouldlookitupinabook! Don'thitme! Ifyouhitmeyou'llbeforeverknownasthekindoflingthath itscripples! Alsoyou'llnevergetanyofmydelisciousloveauraeveraga in!

DigoDragon
2014-06-25, 07:23 PM
Sabina blinked, unable to process the entirety of Gear's quick-paced speech. She turns to Adepha. "Yes, what Gear said."

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-25, 07:43 PM
Spark then steps between Adepha and all the others. It is also my fault Adepha, what happens to you is similar to what happens to me, only less often, and well i won't have to do it again for a while. Spark then grabs his chest where he was first hit by Blaize. Spark frowns for a second, and then Adepha can feel pain and sorrow come from Spark, by is near immediately super seeded by happiness, Don't get mad at them when it was my fault.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-25, 08:51 PM
A frown appears across Adepha's face. It's, like...one of the most private things to a changling. We don't like to talk about it for a reason! She closes her eyes and looks away. I can't believe you couldn't just respect our privacy.

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-25, 09:03 PM
Spark hugs Adepha, I am so sorry. Please forgive me.

DigoDragon
2014-06-25, 09:09 PM
"Yeah, sorry. I was too curious and the library was just too tempting. Curse the siren song of knowledge!"

Rater202
2014-06-25, 09:11 PM
The colt's coat dulls. It may be Sabina's fault that they know, but Gear is still the one who brought it up. He can tell that he's hurt Adepha, again. His coat dulls further still for a moment when he thinks back to that first day of school.

Gear stands before Adepha, and then kneels, humbling himself before her.

I'm sorry.Truly I have sorrow for mine actions. I shalt do whatever is necessary to earn thy forgiveness, should thou be willing to give it to me. As I will, so mote it be.

The emotions coming from Gear indicate that he sincerely wants to make things right again.If anypony makes a shipping joke, I swear to to the Void...

Emperor Ing
2014-06-25, 10:22 PM
The changling looks at her friends, upset still present in her eyes, but when Spark comes to hug her, she can't help but embrace him back, a small smile forming on her muzzle. Aww, I can't stay mad at you. She looks at Sabina and Gear, waving them over with a tilt from her head, beckoning them into a group hug. Come on, get over here.

Rater202
2014-06-25, 10:45 PM
initiating super happy sparkly pony group hug sequence!

...Not a manly word in that sentence

DigoDragon
2014-06-26, 07:00 AM
Sabina joins in the hug picoseconds after Adepha invites them. "It's funny how our best friendship bonds get formed while exploring old changeling tunnels. I wonder if that means anything?"

Humble Master
2014-06-26, 11:10 AM
Subtle thinks back to when they had been researching the Changeling Thing and how she had wanted to let Adepha keep her secrets. It pained Subtle greatly that their actions had harmed Adeph so, and that they had violated the secrecy of what was apparently a very private matter. Subtle joined in the hug, deciding to let an embrace of friend help mend the damage. "I'm sorry we didn't let you keep your secrets. Everypony should be able to conceal things they don't wish others to know." Nychid smiled at the display of friendship and then handed Spark a Changeling vial. "Here is some water. Looking at the riddle I think you might be right. It is a very clever one. Something I might have written if I hadn't..." Nychid paused. "But I digress. If the door does open it will certainly interesting to see everything else in this lab."

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-26, 11:22 AM
Spark stretches up and pours the water over the door, covering it in a thin layer of water. he then looks at the door seeing if anything changes.

Humble Master
2014-06-26, 11:56 AM
As the film of water rushes down the door the Changlic runes upon it glows green for a moment. Then, with the sound of stone grinding on stone the door slides to the side revealing another room.It is similarly equipped as the first one having shelves and cabinets stocked with numerous chemicals and tables bearing the equipment of an alchemist. On one table in particular there appears to be a crystal statue of an apple as well as vials of a pitch black fluid and more sheets of the Changeling carapace paper. There are also some sealed crates in the room and what look like jars of pickled fruit. On the southern wall is a door though a huge tree root is growing in front of it making it totally inaccessible.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-26, 12:00 PM
Oooh, cool! Adepha says, walking into the room, asking as she explores the contents of the room. What was the riddle?

Observation
[roll0]

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-26, 12:03 PM
The Riddle was,'This door shall open only when it is covered by a specific substance. This substance can be lethal if inhaled and dissolves almost all materials. Once an individual's body becomes dependent on this substance prolonged separation can cause death. This substance is everywhere and is well known. Yet, nothing is being done to eliminate it.' Thank you ING for figuring out the riddle. :D

Spark moves into the room seeing what was written on the new sheets of paper, and if there are any other writing around the room

Comprehension
[roll0]+6=15

Rater202
2014-06-26, 12:08 PM
Gear begins walking around, trying to get a good idead of what's all in here[roll0]+4 10

DigoDragon
2014-06-26, 12:37 PM
"Oh, these look like the jars my mom started making at home," Sabina said as she looked at the pickled fruit-like things. "She'll put veggies in a jar and then pour different oils in it. I think it's for cooking... though I can't imagine these still being fresh enough to eat." The filly picked up a jar and turned it over in her hooves.

Biology to Identify the fruit-like things~ 15 (Boxcars Crit!)
[roll0] +3

Humble Master
2014-06-26, 01:18 PM
"Fascinating..." Nychid says as she follows you in, clearly awed by this new discovery. "Guess it takes a young one's mind to solve a puzzle like that." "What your mom does is for preserving the food so it'll last longer. My dad does that too, though with things like bak choy and kale." Subtle says, as she looks around the room, taking in all the wonders. She walks over to Spark and peers over his shoulder, wishing she could read Changlic. "What do those ones say?"

The only writing is on the notes that lie on the table with the vials of black liquid. They read as follows:
"Conversion fluid is the alchemical substance we have derived which can change plant biomatter into Converted Emotion Crystal (referred to as CEC). CEC has many unique properties, the first immediate one being it forms as a uncharged crystal whereas normal Emotion Gel must be charged with emotional energy to harden. CEC has a very low melting point and even a small flame is enough to liquefy it. It will also re-solidify at room temperature. Additionally, mixing the liquefied CEC with a saline solution causes a fascinating reaction. The CEC begins to slowly harden, first becoming a pliable, clay-like material and then a substance hard as metal. Of course, such a reaction renders the CEC inedible. CEC can be charged with emotional energy in an state and it seems to be able to store a greater density of emotional energy than the standard E-Rock. Queen Nadara has requested the Alchemist Cadre devout most of their research to this new form of sustenance."

You are no alchemist, so you can only geuss and infer as to the purpose of the various alchemical tools and devices. The crystal apple statue does seem odd however. If it is a statue, it is a masterpiece with incredibly life-like detail.

You are sure that the things that look like jars of picked fruits are just that. Apples, peaches, cherries, common fruits grown by ponies. Why a Changeling alchemy lab would have a wide selection of preservatives you can't say.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-26, 01:30 PM
What do you think they were doing here? Adepha says, eyeballing the jars all the way to the crystal fruit. I remember the box says they were turning Pony food into Changling food... Her eyes fall on the crystal apple. ...think they succeeded?

Rater202
2014-06-26, 01:33 PM
Gear takes a closer look at the apple, maybe it's like the tree?[roll0]+7 13 crit!

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-26, 01:45 PM
Spark just looks dumb struck. Finally have a few seconds he answers Subtle, and Adepha. They did it, they could change Pony food to Crystal's this is amazing. Spark picks up one of the black vials.

This stuff can change normal food, into E-Crystals versus E-rock. the Crystals can hold even more emotions then the rocks can and they can be used for more then just a food source, this is amazing. I want to follow these notes and see if i can adapt it to Changing or helping Grow Gems. JUST WOW. Spark seems to be bubbly with Joy at this discovery, but before he gets to full of him self, he does inspect the root around the door, to see if there is anyway to move the root and open the door without hurting either.
Observation
[roll0]+2=9

DigoDragon
2014-06-26, 01:53 PM
"Well, the obvious way to find out doesn't sound too appetizing," Sabina comments as she puts the jar back down. "Mom made it abundantly clear to never eat food that's been in an alchemy lab." She pauses for a moment and thinks about her words.

"Though she does her alchemy in the kitchen, so I think that rule is only for me..."

Emperor Ing
2014-06-26, 02:00 PM
Probably. Do crystal apples spoil?

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-26, 02:15 PM
Well Gems don't spoil, but do E-rocks spoil? Also it could be uncharged. The Crystal that is formed is uncharged.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-26, 02:26 PM
Adepha approaches the crystal apple, trying to sense if it's charged. Only one way to find out.

Analysis
[roll0]

DigoDragon
2014-06-26, 02:33 PM
"So... we still have that odd decaboxegon thing to open. Think something in here will work?"

Adepha's curiosity infected Sabina. She took one of the jars of pickled fruit and tried to open it. Eating the fruit was a no-no, but a little whiff could determine just how preserved the fruit was, right?

Sniff: 10
(Observation) [roll0] +4

Humble Master
2014-06-26, 09:14 PM
Nychid politely took the notes from Spark and went over them herself. "This certainly is a discovery. I've never heard of alchemy like this." Subtle, however is much less contained in her exited fascination. "I knew Changelings were amazing alchemists but this is incredible! Oh this is so cool! What else might we find?" She caught herself though as she got an odd look from Nychid. "Sorry, I just like learning about Changeling culture."

The crystal apple is very similar to the tree in that it is made of E-Rocks. Perhaps both were exposed to the Conversion Fluid?

The roots have grown in front of and around the door. There is no way to know how much collateral damage burning or cutting them down would inflict. A much more precise method would be required to free the stone door.

The crystal apple is indeed charged. It is full of love, admiration, happiness, the usual emotions one would store in an E-Rock for food. However, there appears to be a much greater concentration of the emotional energy than normal. A single small bite would probably equate to a full meal.

Even the best preservatives will not keep for over 1,000 years. The contents of the jar have clearly gone bad and you get a big whiff of something very nasty smelling.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-26, 09:27 PM
Adepha frowns. The sensation of the concentrated stored emotions teased at her senses, enticing her to just try a bite. Aww, I filled up on Gear's happiness. Before she could risk overfeeding, Adepha took several steps back. That's definitely an e-rock. Probably the most dense e-rock i've ever seen. She looks to Nychid.

I think we found something really cool! We should get some changling alchemists here right now!

DigoDragon
2014-06-26, 09:34 PM
*Cough Cough!* "Oh for the love of Luna's... Okay yeah... no," Sabina mutters as she seals the jar. "Bury those jars. Deep. That was... a bad smell." She distances herself from the jars and wanders over to the sealed door.

"Hmm, stone door, right? How solid?" She taps on the door to see if it's also a thousand years rotten.

Rater202
2014-06-26, 09:52 PM
Adepha frowns. The sensation of the concentrated stored emotions teased at her senses, enticing her to just try a bite. Aww, I filled up on Gear's happiness. Before she could risk overfeeding, Adepha took several steps back. That's definitely an e-rock. Probably the most dense e-rock i've ever seen. She looks to Nychid.

I think we found something really cool! We should get some changling alchemists here right now!

It also definitely used to be a real apple. Just like the tree.

Which makes me think that the tree was exposed to the thing that makes plants into E-Rock. Since the Tree is still alive, I have towonder about how the gel works.

Does the Tree have a charge? Because I'm a little curious as to what'll happen if the tree get's charged?

Wait, no. Aunt Ivy took sketches. If the tree get's charged, it might change, and then the sketches will be wrong and the painting of the tree she's doing won't look right.

Anyway, Adepha, do you really think eating the apple would be a good idea? I mean, his could be the only evidence that it works.

Wouldn't mass producing E-Rocks this way double the need for fruit and vegetables in the town, thus reducing the supply? Of course, I supposes one could use the cast off plant matter...

Emperor Ing
2014-06-26, 09:56 PM
Anyway, Adepha, do you really think eating the apple would be a good idea? I mean, his could be the only evidence that it works.

Wouldn't mass producing E-Rocks this way double the need for fruit and vegetables in the town, thus reducing the supply? Of course, I supposes one could use the cast off plant matter...

I filled up on your happiness. If I took a bite I might Overcharge.

DigoDragon
2014-06-26, 10:00 PM
If I took a bite I might Overcharge.

"Is that like getting fat?"

Rater202
2014-06-26, 10:08 PM
I filled up on your happiness. If I took a bite I might Overcharge.

No I mean, even if you weren't full. Think about it. This is the only example of a charged E-Rock made with the alchemical thing. Conversion gel? Anyway, if we can't find the recipe for the gel, then they might have to study this to retro-engineer the formula. Even if they don't need to do that, something like this belongs in a museum.

I mean, we have no idea how old this lab is. This apple could be older than me.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-26, 10:10 PM
"Is that like getting fat?"

It's like...uhh...hmm.... Adepha scrunches her muzzle, not able to articulate just what an Overcharge is like. I dunno. She admits. But Mom says that eating too many emotions causes a changling to become really dumb.

DigoDragon
2014-06-26, 10:19 PM
Sabina found Adepha's statement to be pretty funny, but she tried not to laugh directly. "Okay, so like ice cream headache or something, but I get it. Don't overfeed the changelings." She turned back to Spark and that stone door.

"So, we break that door or something? I'm getting a bit antsy to finish this clue and get the next one!" :D

Rater202
2014-06-26, 10:23 PM
It's like...uhh...hmm.... Adepha scrunches her muzzle, not able to articulate just what an Overcharge is like. I dunno. She admits. But Mom says that eating too many emotions causes a changling to become really dumb.

Like that time my aunt Ivy drank too much mead at the crystal fair?

Humble Master
2014-06-26, 10:26 PM
Nychid nods in response to Adepha's comment. "I'm going to wait until you five are done exploring before alerting the Olithian alchemists of your find. I don't want to leave you unattended in an ancient Changeling alchemy lab." she then decided to explain overfeeding with a little more detail. "Overfeeding a Changeling doesn't really make them dumb per say. The excess emotions can't be metabolized so they "leak" into the Changeling's mind. That of course has adverse effects in that the emotions will begin to integrate themselves into the Changeling's thoughts. It is very random however which is why overloaded Changelings often act like they are drunk erm dumb. The overloading incidentally also increases their magical abilities. That combined with the Changeling's clouded judgment makes it quite dangerous at times." Subtle walks over to inspect the door with Sabina. "We'll have to get the roots out of the way first." Subtle taps a hoof against the very sturdy roots. "Somehow."

Rater202
2014-06-26, 10:56 PM
Gear takes a look at the door. To see if there's some way to open the Door. Even if they can't get to it, knowing how to open it now will be useful after they get past the root.

[SPOILER=Construction Roll][rollv]2d6[rollv]+14 21[SPOILER]

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-26, 11:45 PM
Mrs. Nychid should i cut the root here. I am afraid it may hurt the tree. Spark continues to glance at the root, and his friends. We don't need to break the door, we need to get rid of this root. the Crystal melts at a low temperture, one i can produce most likely, but i think a more precise cut is what is needed.
Spark then curls his left claw into a fist. moving it to his mouth, he says.
You all may want to cover your ears for a second. One they all decide to cover their ears or not. Spark shouts. Yol unahzaal vey Spark then flicks his index finger out and a spark comes out of it. That is followed by a small blade like flame only an inch long extends from the tip of his finger. The color of the flame is Gold matching his scales/gems, and Violet at the base matching the color of the flame Olithian Changling seem to produce. .

This should cut right through that crystal. But. Um. I will stay way from you all while I have it out.

DigoDragon
2014-06-27, 06:46 AM
"I dunno, I'd hate to hurt the tree," Sabina says. "The door at least wouldn't care about getting broken. The tree might."

Humble Master
2014-06-27, 12:27 PM
Nychid furrows her brow in thought "I think it would be fine for Spark to cut away a small enough portion of the root to get by it and reach the door. That probably wouldn't hurt the tree too much."

The door looks to just be a normal push open door without any kind of lock on it.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-27, 12:33 PM
Well then, who's the smallest of us that can squeeze through? Although Adepha doesn't expect to get by, she wants to at least give it a shot to see just how much room she'll need to just squeeze through.

Flexibility skill
[roll0] +5 = 10

Rater202
2014-06-27, 12:47 PM
Gear tries to Squeeze past the root to push open the door.

Flexibility[roll0]+1

DigoDragon
2014-06-27, 01:49 PM
Well then, who's the smallest of us that can squeeze through?

Sabina remains quiet and just glances at the door. "..."

Humble Master
2014-06-27, 03:38 PM
Nychid shakes her head. "I believe I misspoke. I think it would be ok to cut enough of the root away for you all to fit in, but no more. I don't think it would be safe for only one of you to go exploring." "Besides, I think we all want to see the rest of the lab." Subtle was almost jumping up and down in anticipation for uncovering more Changeling secrets. "Alright then." Spark said as he prepared his blowtorch like finger of fire. "Stand back while I work." The dragon then carefully and expertly wields the small flame to melt away portions of the growing root. He doesn't even need to bring the flame into direct contact with the crystalline roots for them to begin to melt, reverting to a gel state Adepha would recognize as similar to uncharged emotion gel. Soon, Spark has made a big enough hole in the mass of roots to allow them to squeeze through. Proud of his work, the dragon blew out his finger to extinguish the flame and held out a hand. "Shall we proceed?"

Emperor Ing
2014-06-27, 03:40 PM
Adepha smiles. Let's go! However she is concerned they accidentally inflicted some serious damage on the tree. Hopefully these roots might eventually regrow like a normal plant.

DigoDragon
2014-06-27, 03:47 PM
"I think the tree will be okay. It's been here much longer than any of us. Assuming the decaboxagon thing is right."

Rater202
2014-06-27, 04:19 PM
Gear opens the door.

Humble Master
2014-06-27, 04:38 PM
The door opens smoothly, revealing another section of the alien lab. This room has the usual cabinets, shelves and tables though it also has to very large stone vats on one wall from which comes an extremely acrid smell. Notes written on Changeling paper litter the tables and sometimes the floor. There are more vials of the conversion fluid set on the tables as well as various examples of converted emotion crystals. Some of the crystals have been ground up into dust, placed in bowl of water and put through a number of other tests. On the eastern wall is a door similar to the one you just came through (though unobstructed by roots) and on the southern wall is a complex looking iron door with an ornate frame.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-27, 04:44 PM
Whoa. Adepha says. How big do you think this lab is?

DigoDragon
2014-06-27, 04:58 PM
"Bigger than Tenn's mouth, I'd wager." She manages to squeeze into the room with some trouble, nearly tripping up past the door. Inside this new lab, Sabina looks around to see if there's anything here that might help explain how to open the decaboxagon.

Investigation~ 15
[roll0] +4

Rater202
2014-06-27, 05:23 PM
Gear begins preforming his own investigation

[roll0]+4 13

Emperor Ing
2014-06-27, 05:28 PM
Adepha begins looking around, particularly up in the air. Since changlings can near-universally fly it stands to reason there might be a passage in the ceiling.

Observation
[roll0] 14, Super-Crit!

Humble Master
2014-06-27, 06:10 PM
Spark immediately begins reading the notes scattered around the room, trying to see what he could learn.
"Tenn isn't that bad." Subtle says feeling sorry for their friend. She moved around the room, examining the various experiments with the emotion crystals and messing with the eastern stone door. "This one's open."

There doesn't appear to be anything directly related to the opening of the box.

There isn't anything hidden on the ceiling but from your vantage point you see something at the bottom of one of the empty stone vats!

DigoDragon
2014-06-27, 06:34 PM
"I know Tenn's alright," Sabina said. "I'm just joshing him. All in good fun."

Emperor Ing
2014-06-27, 06:39 PM
Oooh, Oh! Hey! What's this? Adepha's horn lights up as she attenpts to pull out the thingamajig from the vat with her telekinesis

Taking 6 Willpower damage
Spellcasting
[roll0] 7

DigoDragon
2014-06-27, 07:03 PM
"I forgot you could do that."

Rater202
2014-06-27, 08:10 PM
What is that?

Emperor Ing
2014-06-27, 08:25 PM
I'm a Pegasus in a Changling's body. Adepha jokes. It's easy to forget I can use magic.

DigoDragon
2014-06-27, 10:05 PM
"Is that why you wear wings when you disguise yourself as me? ...anyway, what Gear said. What did you find?"

Humble Master
2014-06-28, 11:34 AM
The object Adepha had pulled out of the empty vat was another sheet of Changeling paper. However, it was covered in chemical burns and stains and the writing was only barely readable. On the bottom was what looked like a royal seal stamped in hardened Changeling saliva. Spark walked over "I read the notes. They said... Hey, what's that?" the dragon politely took the burned document from Adepha and read aloud. " URGENT Things are deteriorating faster than expected. The Alchemist Cadre is required to bring their part of the project to the Incubation Shaft immediately by order of Queen Nadara. There is no time to completely finish it. Use the mine entrance, we do not want to alarm the populace. Destroy this message after receiving. ~Administration Cadre~" "Huh" Subtle said, contemplating the note. "Not a lot of context. Like, what was deteriorating and what was the project?"

Rater202
2014-06-28, 11:46 AM
Okay, I'm scared now.

Wait, what if the puzzle box was made to contain whatever was deteriorating. It could be Dangerous.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-28, 12:09 PM
Well, yeah, I guess, but I was looking to disguise as any filly and you were the first one that popped into my head. It was either that or Alicorn Subtle. On the bright side, you now got to see what you looked like and we can put this issue to rest once and for all: Sabina, don't you think you're cute? Adepha teases. Clearly now Sabina can say whether or not she thought she was indeed absolutely adorable. When she fishes up the tablet, the gears in Adepha's head start turning.

'Incubation shaft? Sounds like...um, where Hive Darlok may have put their eggs to hatch, like from the box. Sounds like something was going wrong with the eggs and they needed the...um, conversion gel or E-Crystals to fix it. It also sounds like if we want to find where the eggs are we'll have to find this "mining tunnel."

DigoDragon
2014-06-28, 12:09 PM
"Whoa... never thought the prize was dangerous," Sabina said, trying hard to ignore Adepha's question about being cute or not. The slight pink in her cheeks was giving her away. "So... Gear has a good point. Maybe we should check all four places first before trying to open this thing. I don't want to be grounded for playing with something that could hurt someone."

Humble Master
2014-06-28, 12:26 PM
"Me as an Alicorn? That's an odd thought. What would I be, the Princess of Petty Theft?" Subtle joked, knowing her friends were some of the few ponies she could trust with her secrets. "Well, the note Spark read said things are deteriorating which could just mean like the state of affairs for the Hive. And why would they make this really elaborate and beautiful puzzle box to hide something dangerous? We should be cautious though. Maybe open the box with Queen Arlia? Regardless, it gave us a clue as to where the "Incubation Shaft" is so I guess that is good." "If we could deal with Smokey, Blaize and Flaire I'm sure we can deal with whatever fits inside that tetradhedron." Spark put in. "Oh! I almost forgot. These notes I read were really interesting. Apparently the alchemists found that if you melt the emotion crystals, mix them with a special solution and then re-solidify them the amount of emotion they can store increases! Pretty incredible huh?"

Emperor Ing
2014-06-28, 12:38 PM
Oh stop it Subtle. You'd be like...the Princess of Redemption or something really cool. Besides, you should stop wearing skirts, you have an awesome ninja cutie-mark.

Rater202
2014-06-28, 12:47 PM
I thought we decided it was a super hero Cutie Mark?

Nananananana Subtle! Nananananana Subtle!
Suntle, Subtle, Subtle!

Emperor Ing
2014-06-28, 01:04 PM
Who said superheroes can't be ninjas?

DigoDragon
2014-06-28, 01:07 PM
"Or pirates," Sabina added happily. She went over to the next door in the room and tried to see if it'll open for her.

Humble Master
2014-06-28, 02:18 PM
"Princess of Redemption, certainly sounds cool." Subtle mused, she then looked at the skirt she wore prompted by Adepha's comment. "I... I'd just rather not take the risk. It would just be better if random ponies didn't know." The stone door on the eastern wall was unlocked and could easily be opened. The iron door on the south however appeared to require a key and had a complex mechanism involving gears and cogs on the front of it.

DigoDragon
2014-06-28, 05:34 PM
"Let's see what's behind door number two!" Sabina opened the stoned door and looked inside.

Observation: 14
[roll0] +4

Emperor Ing
2014-06-28, 09:00 PM
Are you gonna wear dresses for the rest of your life?! Adepha was at least somewhat baffled by this overreaction. I mean...risk of what? That everyling will think you have a super-cool ninja superhero cutie-mark?

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-28, 09:10 PM
Spark moves into the next room as well looking for any new notes to read, and possibly any key for the iron door. Spark does look at Adepha and Subtle, during their exchange.
She does look nice in the dress though, just like you did on Nightmare Night, Adepha. Spark's states as he adds he two sense.

Rater202
2014-06-28, 09:14 PM
Remember how I really really didn't want to tell you guys about my sessions with Dr. Psych? Because I was afraid you guys would think bad about me for seeing a head doctor?

I'm pretty sure it's like that with Subtle. Somepony sees a stealth Cutie mark, they're going to assume somethings up.

Even if Ponies assume it's a ninja cutie mark, well, aren't ninjas supposed to be thieves and murderers?

We're her friends, we know she's a good pony, but if somepony on the street who doesn't know her sees her...

Right Subtle?

Emperor Ing
2014-06-28, 10:22 PM
She does look nice in the dress though, just like you did on Nightmare Night, Adepha. Spark's states as he adds he two sense.

*tppht!* Adepha blows a raspberry at the thought. Never again.

Buuuut.... The nymph trails off, looking a bit sheepish. I guess I can respect someling-erhm, somepony else's privacy too.

Rater202
2014-06-28, 11:30 PM
*tppht!* Adepha blows a raspberry at the thought. [COLOR="#800080"]Never again.

Oh come on. It couldn't have been that bad. Besides, you looked like a dignified Noblemare.

...*snort* not that I've ever seen one!

kechuhhahahahaahahahahaahah!*cough*

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-28, 11:35 PM
Spark just gives a sign of defeat, and goes back to reading the Changling notes if there are any.

Humble Master
2014-06-28, 11:37 PM
"Right, thanks Gear." Subtle says "I'd just like to keep my kleptomania a secret as much as possible. I can't control or predict what other ponies think of my Cutie Mark so it's just better to keep it hidden. It means so much to be that all you respect my secret and don't let it out." Your group pushes open the unlocked stone door and find yourselves in a room distinctly un-lab-like in comparison to the rest of the complex. There is only one table with alchemical looking devices on it, though it has the usual notes and vial of conversion fluid. The room seems to be little more than a storeroom, stone and metal stacked against the walls and crates full of broken vials and beakers. In one corner the floor has sunken into the earth and formed a clay filled pool of stagnant water.

The notes appear to be mostly requisition order for various building supplies. There are two that stand out however. One is a notice affixed to the wall with Changeling saliva.
"Please requisition a mechanic from the Administration Cadre to come fix our door for us. The chemical-sniffer who designed it put the mechanism on the outside and one of the two primary gears has broke."
The other looks to be the technical diagram of some complex machine. You aren't Gear and thus can't understand most of the drawing, but it has a lot of pipes, vats and tumblers. It almost looks like an overly-complex cider making machine.

DigoDragon
2014-06-28, 11:43 PM
"Well you're all braver than me by wearing those dresses," Sabina casually remarks as she looks through the storeroom. "...and cuter." She looks into the water to see if there was anything dropped in it.

Investigation: 14
[roll0] +4

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-28, 11:54 PM
"Well you're all braver than me by wearing those dresses," Sabina casually remarks as she looks through the storeroom. "...and cuter." She looks into the water to see if there was anything dropped in it.

[roll0] +4

Digo that is a crit.

Spark passes the diagram to Gear. Can you make any sense of this?
Spark then looks to Sabina, Well the rest of us could start wearing a dress only i bet Gear and I would look silly if that were the case.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-29, 12:01 AM
It wasn't bravery, it was genius. You all remember who got the most chocolate that night. Adepha shoots back smugly.

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-29, 12:10 AM
If I remember right you scared a lot of ponies into getting chocolate Nightmare Moon. Spark also gives a smug smile. since he still remembers being the only not scared of her.

Rater202
2014-06-29, 12:15 AM
I don't know, I've been told I look pretty good in formal wear, though I suppose even if my dress robes were intact, they'de probably be centuries out of style.

And I'm cheating a bit, because the term "dress" applied to any formal clothing in my day, not just those for fillies.

Now, let's take a look at this...

Gear examines the Diagram

(Machinery: [roll0]+14 21)

Edit: Typed the wrong skill

Humble Master
2014-06-29, 12:27 AM
Subtle just shrugs "I don't know why you all care so much about wearing dresses. Hay, even stallion Wizards wear robes which are kind of like dresses."

There is nothing in the pool of water save for the clay but you notice that there are a number of small holes that look suspiciously like burrows near the pool.

Based upon the diagram the machine appears to be for processing some kind of liquid. On one end, a hopper feeds into a metal boiler with a furnace under it. The boiler drains into some kind of spinning drum that has a feed from a large vat. This drum then leads back to the first boiler. Manually operated valves control the flow between the various chambers. It would appear that it is a device for refining the emotion crystals and increasing the amount of emotional energy they can store based upon the process Spark described earlier.

Rater202
2014-06-29, 12:37 AM
Hey Spark, that thing about refining the emotion crystals you were talking about? I think this is how they did it.

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-29, 12:44 AM
I don't think i'd ever do well in a dress or any type of clothing. i'd probably accidentally burn it, and not even notice I did that till later.

When mentions the Diagram. Really if the Alchemist could reverse engineer the conversion fluid we could easily start producing these crystal's again. That is Fantastic! Your Fantastic! Spark just gives another large grin.

Humble Master
2014-06-29, 01:54 AM
Subtle clapped Gear on the back "Nice Gear! Luna's hooves we're finding so much cool stuff here!" she then thought for a moment. "I'll bet they kept that big machine behind that iron door we saw earlier. Makes sense to put your super emotion crystal machine behind some tight security."

DigoDragon
2014-06-29, 08:03 AM
"There sure is a lot of old stuff down here," Sabina comments. "I wonder what these holes are for? Draining water?"

Emperor Ing
2014-06-29, 09:15 AM
That is so cool! Adepha chirps excitedly We can get machines like this all over the hive! She takes a closer look to the holes Sabina is looking to. What's this?

DigoDragon
2014-06-29, 09:20 AM
What's this?

"Um... holes I guess."

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-29, 11:18 AM
if it is for draining it is not doing a good job, maybe something is clogging it.

Spark then reaches in to see if he can find anything in the water with his claws.

Investigation
[roll0]+2==11

Humble Master
2014-06-29, 11:36 AM
As Spark sticks his claw in the water, squeaking sounds fill the air and a pair of very large and very angry looking rats emerge from the holes to nip at Spark's claw in defense of their burrow.

Appropriate "Dodge" roll DC 18 or take 2 points of Fortitude/Willpower for Spark

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-29, 11:44 AM
Spark pulls his hand out as quick as he could but it was still to slow. Spark looks angry this time, and as he looks at the burrow, he opens his mouth like he is going to breathe fire on the rats home. He stops himself and just walks off to the iron door.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-29, 11:47 AM
Ewww, ew-ew-ew-ew-ew-ew-ew! Adepha repeats as she bats the rats away from herself and Spark with her hooves.

Martial Arts
[roll0] 17

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-29, 01:46 PM
When Spark gets to the iron door tries to determine if he could cut through the door encase they can not find the key.

observation

[roll0]+2=13

DigoDragon
2014-06-29, 02:19 PM
"Aww, they were cute little vermin," Sabina said. "Pretty smart critters too. Not creepy-crawlie like snakes."

Emperor Ing
2014-06-29, 02:58 PM
Ew, no way. Adepha replies, disgusted by the creatures. Rats are small, they get everywhere, and they're all covered in hair. At least snakes are smooth and really cool.

Rater202
2014-06-29, 03:09 PM
...I like Ravens.

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-29, 03:20 PM
At least Snakes i can relate to. Spark yells from the other room as he examines the door.

DigoDragon
2014-06-29, 04:32 PM
"What about lizards, Spark?" Sabina asked as she walked closer to the dragon.

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-29, 05:09 PM
I like Lizards to, I am especially glad i am warm blooded compared to the rest of the reptiles. And Rats don't usually bother me, but that bite hurt.

DigoDragon
2014-06-29, 05:21 PM
"So they managed to make a... rodent in your claw?"

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-29, 06:14 PM
Spark once more faceclaws himself. That is your worst pun yet Sabina. :smalltongue:

Emperor Ing
2014-06-29, 06:41 PM
...Sorry Sabina. They can't all always work.

Are you okay, Spark?

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-29, 07:11 PM
Ya I'm ok. I won't hurt the rat just because it hurt me, I did scare it after all.

DigoDragon
2014-06-29, 07:34 PM
"I wonder what else is down here. Can you imagine if the other three sites are just as amazing?"

Humble Master
2014-06-30, 01:51 AM
Subtle is quite disgusted and terrified of the rats but she manages to keep relatively calm. "Well, that was exiting." She follows her friends and groans audibly at Sabina's pun. "I certainly hope the other places are as interesting as this one. Luna knows what we might find." The complex iron door sporting visible gears and sprockets now stands before you. It doesn't take an eye keen for machinery to see the pair of prominent, identical gears on the door. However, one of the gears seems to be missing several teeth.

As far as you can tell the iron door is far to thick to melt through with you fire breath.

DigoDragon
2014-06-30, 06:39 AM
"Hey Gear, this... um... gear is missing teeth. Do you know of a fix?" She looks around the room. "What of this hardened gel stuff? Maybe fashion that into teeth?"

Rater202
2014-06-30, 10:25 AM
Possible. Let me take a look to see if the Gear is the only thing that's broken first. Who knows how old this thing is...

Wait, this had to be here before Hive Olith.

And it had to have been abandoned for a while.

Sooooo, How old is Hive Olith?

Gear is examining the door while saying this
(Machinery [roll0]+14 21)I'm rolling a lot of 21s this episode.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-30, 10:33 AM
I, uhh, i'm not sure. Adepha says sheepishly.

DigoDragon
2014-06-30, 10:36 AM
"I don't know, but the one Gear I know is over a thousand years old," Sabina says, tongue-in-cheek. After a moment, she decides to be more helpful than provide commentary. "...I'll go make myself useful." Sabina goes to collect some gel stuff for the gear repair.

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-30, 11:08 AM
The Hive is at least a Thousand years old. Spark points out for Gear, so the too egg heads can think of what this means in terms of how old these gears are.

DigoDragon
2014-06-30, 05:11 PM
"What turns the gears around? Handle?" Sabina looks to see if there's anything obvious to manipulate? Maybe some teeth on the floor to glue back on?

Investigation: 16 (Boxcars Crit!)
[roll0] +4

Humble Master
2014-06-30, 06:31 PM
"I remember reading that Hive Olith is around 1,000 years old. If this Hive Darlok predates Olith it's ancient!"

The keyhole in the door probably is what interacts with the mechanism which seems to your expert eye to just be a complex lock. The two identical gears on the front are connected to two toothed beams that slide into the wall as deadbolts. When the key is turned the gears will probably turn to slide the deadbolts back. However, with one of the gears out of commission even the right key couldn't open the door.

You don't find any kind of broken bits of the damaged gear on the floor. It occurs to you that you might have to make a replacement for the broken gear somehow.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-30, 06:46 PM
That's like...pre-Nightmare Moon ancient! You don't think she had anything to do with Hive Darlok's dissapearance do you...?

Rater202
2014-06-30, 06:48 PM
All you need to open the door is the Key. The Gears are basically a giant clockwork lock. It's pretty simple really, which makes sense, if their was no evidence of this when the Olithians came here, then this whole lab has to be at least a few centuries older than I am.

But, the Gear is broken, so to open this door we're going to have to not only fing the Key, but fix or replace the gear.

Wait, never mind. Subtle's here, we don't need the key, just the gear.

Rater202
2014-06-30, 07:00 PM
That's like...pre-Nightmare Moon ancient! You don't think she had anything to do with Hive Darlok's dissapearance do you...?

Adepha? Nopony knew what changelings were outside of Vanhoover untill after that one hive's Queen tried to foalnap Princess Cadance. Even then, if what I've seen with you guy and what I've been told about that other hive, details are still way off

You'd think that when Princess Luna got back from the Moon, she would have said something like "Dearest Sister, while I was under the influence of the Nightmare, I didst slay a colony of emotion eating insects who didst posses magical powers and the ability to imitate the forms of our subjects. Perhaps an ocultist shoud be senteth to investigate the area, incase others hath returned"

I'm assuming that Nopony from Canterlot showed up asking about shape-shifting bug-ponies.

Of course, that's a summing that Nightmare Moon was ever anything more than a breezie tale like Slendermane or the Glue Maker. Old stories made up to scare foals into behaving.1. Gear dopes not belive in Nightmare Moon(or at least, not that Nightmare Moon was Luna)_ becuase he honestly can't comprehend a pony who fought against King Sombra becoming evil like he was.

2. Gear grew up with some seriously messed up Fairy Tales

DigoDragon
2014-06-30, 07:01 PM
Sabina sat down and pondered how to replace the gear. What did we have available? Adepha and Spark... no no, the door doesn't feel pain. That won't work. There's that changeling snot stuff Sabina gathered. She started to think about the snot... it's... hard... but... can be softened, right?

Sabina stood up, wide eyed. "DENTURES!!"

DigoDragon
2014-06-30, 07:10 PM
"Dentures! Dentures Dentures!" Sabina chanted happily. "My little ponies, I just got an idea! Dentists make dentures for old ponies that lose their teeth, right? Teeth that are molded to fit in one's gums. What if we take the working gear and use this changeling snot to make a mold and then use the mold to make a replacement gear?"

Humble Master
2014-06-30, 07:17 PM
"I agree with Gear that it seems unlikely that Nightmare Moon whipped out a Changeling Hive. She wanted vengeance on Celestia because ponies slept during her wondrous night, why would she attack a bunch of love-eating bug ponies?" Subtle then turns to Sabina "I've never heard somepony so exited about dental work. But yah, that could probably work. The gears look the same, we could make a mold of the working one to make a replacement!"

Emperor Ing
2014-06-30, 07:34 PM
I'm...not gonna have to supply the snot, am I? Adepha timidly asked. I don't even know if I have that much snot!

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-30, 07:58 PM
Spark's Gems seem to turn to emeralds when Adepha mentions using her snot. he then slowly backs up, I. Ahh. Will be right back with the conversion fluid. Spark leaves to get the flasks of conversion fluid.

DigoDragon
2014-06-30, 07:59 PM
Sabina giggles and points to the conversion gel stuff. "No silly, not your snot. I meant that gel stuff."

Emperor Ing
2014-06-30, 08:03 PM
Okay, that's good. Also, I think I broke Spark. The nymph shoots a concerned look to the rapidly retreating form of Spark.

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-30, 08:25 PM
By the time Spark gets the Conversion fluids, he remembers that they will also need saline solutions. Spark starts to look for some salt and water.
observation
[roll0]+2=9

DigoDragon
2014-06-30, 08:43 PM
"Gear, could you help me remove these gear things? You're a lot more gentle with machine stuff than I am."

Rater202
2014-06-30, 08:56 PM
Wait.

What's the plan again? Make a mold of one gear, fill the mold with Liquid crystals mixed with Saline, and let it harden into a gear? That's the plan, right?

if so, we're going to need something other than the conversion gel to make a mold, and we're going to need Plan matter to use the gel on-to make the crystals. Spark can melt them, but we need to actually have them first.

I think I can help with that part though.

Gear opens up his Saddle Bag, revealing that he has had his potato gun-with enough ammo for five shots, with him this entire time.

We can use one or two of these for the crystals.

Sparks getting the Conversion gel and saline, I've got the plant mater, but we still need something to make the mold with...

After that, Gear starts taking the gears off the doorFirst, Gear uses Bits and Bobs to produce his potato gun, and more importantly, it's edible plant based ammunition.

Second, Machinery to safely remove the gears[roll0]+14 19

Emperor Ing
2014-06-30, 08:58 PM
Oh, I get it! Adepha smiles. You're gonna turn the mushed potatoes into E-Crystals, which should be hard enough to work as gears! Good thinking Gear!

Humble Master
2014-06-30, 09:02 PM
Subtle thinks for a minute. "You're right Gear, we would need a mold of a different material than the emotion crystals. Hmm, what can we make a mold of? Changeling saliva probably would work but Adepha couldn't produce enough of it."

The lab is well stocked and though you don't fully understand the Changeling method of labeling chemicals by cross checking the notes you manage to find plenty of vials of saline solution and conversion fluid.

You get the gears off with no trouble. It should be a similarly easy task to fit them back on.

OOC: Potatoes work fine as plant matter for the conversion fluid to work.

DigoDragon
2014-06-30, 09:08 PM
Sabina gives Gear a big hug. "You are the smartest!! Okay, so we need something to make a mold that's not the converging gel, right? Okay, i'm on that! Hey Spark, I'm helping!" She goes to help Spark find something to make a mold with.

Assisting Spark~ 15
[roll0] +4

Rater202
2014-06-30, 09:18 PM
Gear addresses Adepha.

No. Remember, Spark said the notes said that if you turned something into an E-Rock with the conversion gel, then melted it and mixed it with Saline, it would harden into something as strong as metal. We make a mold of the good gear, then we turn one of my potatos into a crstal, and Spark melts it into the mold and mixes it with the Saline.

Once it hardens, it'll turn into a workable Gear.

Then I'll just slip the good gear and the new gear back on to the door, fixing the lock, and then Subtle can pick the lock and open the door.

after explaining, Gear turns to Subtle.

Well, if Adepha could produce enough, it'd probably work up an appetite. I could probably make it worth her while.*Sparkling intensifies*

If that's even a thing changelings can do.

Is that a thing Changelings can do?

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-30, 09:18 PM
Spark turns to see Sabina standing right behind him. When she mentions that she is finally helping, Spark just gives her the biggest are you nuts face. You always help Sabina. like always. Now Spark grabs some of the Saline and Conversion fluids. We will need all of this. And we may be able to make a mold out of the Hardened Crystal Saline mixture, if we set it while it is still in a clay like state. We simply use the good gear to make the mold. And is it getting brighter where Gear and Adepha are?

Rater202
2014-06-30, 09:30 PM
Spark turns to see Sabina standing right behind him. When she mentions that she is finally helping, Spark just gives her the biggest are you nuts face. You always help Sabina. like always. Now Spark grabs some of the Saline and Conversion fluids. We will need all of this. And we may be able to make a mold out of the Hardened Crystal Saline mixture, if we set it while it is still in a clay like state. We simply use the good gear to make the mold. And is it getting brighter where Gear and Adepha are?

Gear Shouts from te Next Room.

No we can't! If we make the mold and the gear from the same thing, then we'd ight not be able to the get gear out.

assuming that the gear forms separately from the mold, instead of just merging with it as it solidifies, it'd be impossible to side it out, and breaking the mold would risk braking the Gear.

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-30, 09:34 PM
Spark moves into the room with Gear and Adepha, that may be true, but we could put a small film of something else in the mold so it does not merge with the mold.

Emperor Ing
2014-06-30, 09:34 PM
Well, um, I could probably make the gel hard by putting emotions into it, but I don't know what you'd do with my saliva anyways. It's not like I can just...make a lot of it.

What if we made the mold out of E-Rocks, and then the Gear from the hard E-Crystal rock thing?

Humble Master
2014-06-30, 09:36 PM
"I'm not sure normal e-rocks would be hard enough to be used as the gear. The notes specified that when you mixed the converted emotion gel with a saline solution it became hard as metal."

DigoDragon
2014-06-30, 09:38 PM
"Did you... oh, I know! Does anyone have any oil or butter? My mom greases a pan to keep food from sticking to it. Maybe if we try that? Um... maybe one of these weird chemicals is oil?"

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-30, 09:40 PM
Ok Lets see what we can find, or um I can. Spark begins to look for any Grease like Substance in the vials and beakers.

investigations
[roll0]+2=10

Emperor Ing
2014-06-30, 09:41 PM
"I'm not sure normal e-rocks would be hard enough to be used as the gear. The notes specified that when you mixed the converted emotion gel with a saline solution it became hard as metal."

No no no, you make the MOLD out of E-Rock, and the Gear from the converted gel.

Rater202
2014-06-30, 09:46 PM
Spark moves into the room with Gear and Adepha, that may be true, but we could put a small film of something else in the mold so it does not merge with the mold.

where would we get a film?

Besides, that would make the gear slightly smaller, which might interfere with it's work in the mechanism.

Adepha's plan might work, but wed have to be really careful with how we did it.

We'd have to partially submerge the gear in the emotion gel, but not enough that t would completely cover the gear when it crystallizes.

We'd also have to take the first gear out without breaking the mold, which will be hard

Humble Master
2014-06-30, 10:47 PM
"Arrg!" Subtle cried "We're so close to getting the door open but we can't make a mold. A film won't work, an e-crystal mold won't work, Adepha can't spit enough. If only we had some plaster or clay or something."

Emperor Ing
2014-06-30, 10:56 PM
Clay? Hey, wasn't there a puddle or something in that back room? Doesn't that have clay?

cavalieredraghi
2014-06-30, 11:35 PM
Spark Eye widen slightly. I am not touching that pool again, i may end up torching the poor vermin.

DigoDragon
2014-07-01, 06:39 AM
"I shall take one for the team!" Sabina states loudly. She walks over to the puddle and reaches in, feeling for any clay she can grab.

"Dig for clayah
Dig, dig for clayah
When you're done, ya builda bigger moldah.
Dig for clayah
Dig, dig for clayah
Quick before the ratties come!"

Diggin' for Clay: 17
Weightlifting? [roll0] +9

Humble Master
2014-07-01, 01:43 PM
"I guess clay could work. Spark could fire it with his breath." Subtle raises an eyebrow at Sabina's song but helps her nonetheless. Working together, they have no trouble getting a sizeable chunk of clay to use for the mold.

Emperor Ing
2014-07-01, 02:02 PM
Spark, you can probably use your fiery breath to harden the mold pretty quickly. Gear, wanna help me mush some potatoes? With that Adepha begins squishing some of the edible ammunition.

Rater202
2014-07-01, 02:11 PM
Spark, you can probably use your fiery breath to harden the mold pretty quickly. Gear, wanna help me mush some potatoes? With that Adepha begins squishing some of the edible ammunition.

Gear stops Adepha from mushing Potatoes.

Adepha, we'll probably only need one, maybe less than one depending on how much saline we need to mix it with for it to solidify ass a metal, and since we have to melt the crystal we don't have to mash it and that might even make harder to get all the melted crystal we need for the Gear.

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-01, 02:54 PM
YA i can harden the Mold, but it won't last. A good hardening of Clay takes a few hours of it baking. But I bet i can make it last for a few minutes. Once you all form the mold I will heat it up.
Spark then puts his left claw over his mouth again, and says Yol unahzaal vey He then snaps his right claw over the palm of his left claw and another bout of flame emerges from his appendage.

This should do the trick.

DigoDragon
2014-07-01, 02:56 PM
Sabina works with Subtle to get the clay to a table. "Lets put the pile here and try to make it into one large lump for the complete gear."

Emperor Ing
2014-07-01, 03:08 PM
Adepha can only now sit down, feeling rather useless. 'wanna smush somethin'.

Humble Master
2014-07-01, 03:10 PM
"It's like arts and crafts all over again." Subtle says as she and Sabina work the clay into a big lump. Levitating the big gear onto the table Subtle brings Adepha over. "Here, you can help us make the mold."

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-01, 04:03 PM
Spark starts to play with the fire in his hands as he waits for his friends.

Emperor Ing
2014-07-01, 04:19 PM
Adepha flutters over, pressing the gear into the clay mold, folding the clay around the gear and filling up the not-closed areas.
Okay I think I got it. Adepha says, hovering back. Subtle, if you could levitate the gear out, and Spark, heat it up.

DigoDragon
2014-07-01, 05:42 PM
"Oh, this is going to be great!"

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-01, 05:46 PM
Once the Mold is ready, Spark picks it up and starts to heat it, and harden it up. Now please stay back, so I don't hurt any of you, and don't touch the mold, it may burn you.

Humble Master
2014-07-01, 07:48 PM
Subtle carefully uses her telekinesis to extract the working gear from the unfinished mold and then steps back. "It's all yours Spark."

DigoDragon
2014-07-01, 08:54 PM
"Heh, the easy bake gear. Serves one locked door." Sabina rubs her hooves together.

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-01, 09:05 PM
Alright While i get the Clay model cooking you all want to start making the E-Crystals?

Rater202
2014-07-01, 09:07 PM
"Heh, the easy bake gear. Serves one locked door." Sabina rubs her hooves together.

What are you talking abou...?

Gear reaches into his saddle bag, pulls out a pencil and notebook, scribbles something down, then puts it all back in his bag.

Note to self-novelty mini-ovens for foals: do they exist? If so, make better one, if not, invent.

either way, patent and copyright-rent manufacturing rights to novelty company.

Humble Master
2014-07-01, 10:08 PM
Plan set, the 5 of you go about making the replacement gear. Spark carefully hardens the clay mold while the others pour the conversion fluid on an unsuspecting potato. As the black liquid touches the flesh of the spud, it's skin begins to harden. It slowly crystalizes, like a sheet of ice growing across the surface of the potato. \After the process is finished, you have a pure emotion crystal potato. After placing it in the finished mold, Spark applies his finger of flame to the scintillating spud, causing it to melt into a pool of emotion gel in the mold. Finally, you pour the saline solution onto the gel gear. Small crystals begin to grow inside the gel, consuming the liquid until the mold now holds an emotion crystal gear, smooth to the touch and as hard as metal.

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-01, 10:11 PM
Alright, way to go everyling! Spark is amazed at the alchemical reactions. Even if he could not apply it to his gems the science was still amazing.

DigoDragon
2014-07-01, 10:25 PM
Sabina starts in an imitation of Mr. Penrod. "So Sabina, what did you and your friends do?"

"We baked gears with potatoes!" She was clapping her hooves in excitement. Soon they'd be able to open the door!

Rater202
2014-07-01, 10:46 PM
Sabina starts in an imitation of Mr. Penrod. "So Sabina, what did you and your friends do?"

"We baked gears with potatoes!" She was clapping her hooves in excitement. Soon they'd be able to open the door!

We're gonna have to rewrite our "What we did on Spring Break" papers now, aren't we?

"Over spring break, One of my best friends got foalnapped by his abusive former family. I tried and failed to fight dragon. Said monstrous dragon broke my leg, which had to be amputated. I'm now going to start designing and selling manufacturing rights for prosthesis, and while I'm at it maybe I'll patent some of my gadgets for use as novelties. Ooh! My Friends and I also helped discover an ancient Changeling ruin, and we rediscovered an ancient secret of changeling alchemy."

Hey, you think we'll get extra credit for this? I mean, this is the sorta thing that could get our names in a history book. Or at least, it will if things with Hive Olith and Equestria.

Ether way, I honestly think that nopony's going to have a better paper than any of us.

DigoDragon
2014-07-02, 06:13 AM
"I really don't feel like rewriting my paper. My hoofwriting is not that good." Sabina looks at the finished product. "Well, guess all that is left is to attach the gears and then let Subtle have a crack at the lock."

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-02, 09:28 AM
Spark attaches the new gear to the door, along with the old one. I think i will just write about this. It is not like i need extra credit.

Humble Master
2014-07-02, 09:58 AM
"Yah, I'm not really in the mood to rewrite my paper. I'm probably going to see if I can find any books about the culture of Hive Darlok." Subtle says as she inserts her horn in to the doors lock and casts her spell.

Spellcasting:[roll0]+10=19 Spending 4 Willpower for this casting of Unicorn's Lockpick.

As the tumblers of the lock click into place you hear a cascade of metallic whirs and clanks as the complex lock on the door opens. The two gears, one a metal original the other a crystal replica, begin to turn retracting the pair of toothed deadbolts. The door then slides to the side, revealing an amazing sight. It is clearly the machine described in the schematics Gear examined earlier and it looks to be completed. Metal pipes and chambers shine under the alien light of the bioluminescent plants. There is a huge stone vat of what appears to be conversion fluid in the center of the massive device. From the ceiling, a crystalline taproot extends down and into the massive vat of alchemical liquid. Other crystalline roots piece the walls in numerous places creating an oddly natural feel to this machine filled room. In front of the construction, is an odd stone pedestal. Worked into the top is what appears to be some kind of radiant jewel.

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-02, 10:35 AM
Mrs. Nychid We found another something! Spark shouts before he enters. He moves to the crystal to get a better examination of it.
observation
[roll0]+2=8

DigoDragon
2014-07-02, 11:13 AM
"Um... yay?" Sabina says cautiously upon looking at the complicated machine. "Sooo... what do we do with this?"

Emperor Ing
2014-07-02, 12:32 PM
I...actually still kind of have to write my paper. Adepha admits before being taken aback by the cool looking machinery and shiny thingy. Oooh, glowey! Hey, you don't think this goes on the box, do you? She points to the glowy thingy on the pedestal.

DigoDragon
2014-07-02, 12:35 PM
"I have no idea."

Rater202
2014-07-02, 12:36 PM
Gear two goes to examine the Crystal-to see if it's an other converted Emotion CrystalIs that still Biology is it's not plant anymore?

I'll just roll bio, and if that's not it subtract 2 from my end result.

[roll0]+7 16

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-02, 01:31 PM
Spark does not turn, but speaks to Adepha saying, I can help you with your essay later if you want Adepha. I also have been putting it off.

Humble Master
2014-07-02, 01:37 PM
"Probably nothing. I don't think it would be wise to mess around with 1,000 year old Changeling alchemical machinery. Besides, the Hive might want to preserve it as an archeological site or something." Subtle looks over at the pedestal. "It certainly looks like it has something to do with the box."

The crystal is very similar the ones in the puzzle box and it is hard like the crystal gear you made.

It definitely is a converted emotion crystal, though it is more radiant and glowy than the ones you have seen.

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-02, 01:40 PM
If Spark can he removes the crystal and takes it to the box, to see if anything happens to either the crystal or the box. IF Spark can not remove the Crystal he moves the box to the crystal to do the same thing.
observation
[roll0]+2=10

Emperor Ing
2014-07-02, 01:58 PM
We could write our essays together! Adepha chirps, watching closely to make sure nothing goes wrong with removing the E-Crystal.

[roll0]

DigoDragon
2014-07-02, 02:05 PM
"Back to the box thing then," Sabina says. She follows Spark.

Humble Master
2014-07-02, 03:35 PM
The emotion crystal doesn't come out of the pillar, held in place by a strong metal setting. However, as the box is brought near to the jewel like crystal glowing runes come to life upon the pedestal. With a flash, numerous streams of faint, glimmering emotional energy begin to flow from the pedestal to the corresponding crystal set into the box. Soon, the crystal on the pedestal is dull and uncharged and the one in the box begins to radiate a scintillating light.

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-02, 03:37 PM
Well. There we go everyone. Now for the next place I am thinking amphitheater? What do you all think?Spark says as he seem to be starts to fly toward the door.

Rater202
2014-07-02, 03:39 PM
Hey, Adepha? Could you check if this thing has an emotional charge?

DigoDragon
2014-07-02, 03:41 PM
"I think I blinked and missed something," Sabina says. "So the crystal did some magic mojo and gave it's... um... power to the box? Huh, I didn't expect that. Yeah, I guess the stage place is next."

Emperor Ing
2014-07-02, 03:52 PM
Oh yeah, definitely. I don't need my emotion-sense to tell you that.

So we're looking for an old Ampitheater, and some 1000-year-old mine tunnel that takes us to the old um...nursery?

Humble Master
2014-07-02, 03:59 PM
"An Emotion Lock..." Subtle said aloud. "It's a type of Changeling seal I read about. It only opens when a certain amount of a certain emotion is put into it. I've never seen one before." Nychid is waiting for you all outside the lab, an interested look on her face. "So, what all did you find down there?"

Emperor Ing
2014-07-02, 04:04 PM
Oh it's so cool! Adepha blurts out, bouncing with each step. There's a really old alchemy lab, they actually made a new type of E-Rock that's shinier and holds more emotion-energy! They can even turn plants into this kind of E-Crystal thing! It's probably how the tree in this library became what it is!

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-02, 04:04 PM
Spark is beaming at this point.Spark looks up to Nychid and says My friends found the machine that will allow the e-crystals to be able hold even more emotions then they could normally. And now we are looking for an old amphitheater. Would you know where we may be able to find one?

banter rolls
[roll0]+7=14

DigoDragon
2014-07-02, 04:36 PM
Sabina scrunches her nose, thinking about which theaters in town are the oldest.

History: 11(+5)(crit)
[roll0] +3

Rater202
2014-07-02, 06:54 PM
Um, Ms. Nychid? If I were to add a few Paragraphs about this to my "What I did on Spring Break" paper, would you write a note that we didn't make it up?

Humble Master
2014-07-02, 07:11 PM
"And there's so much other cool stuff down there too!" Subtle says, just overwhelmed by all the fascinating Changeling stuff she had uncovered. Nychid looked surprised by quickly collected herself and smiled at the group before her. "I'll certainly vouch for you all. Well, it seems like the Olithian Alchemist Association will have their work cut out studying this place. Just goes to show how even when you're young you can make a difference and that sometimes us adults should step aside and let those with young, innovative minds take a crack at it." At the question of an amphitheater Nychid strokes her chin. "I believe there is a theater in the south west of town that is a repurposed amphitheater. You might look there."

Your own memory can confirm that the theater Nychid mentioned is the oldest one in town.

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-02, 07:24 PM
This is totally AWESOME! Spark flies back to make sure they have the box, with them when they head out for the theater. as he meets up with his friends, and flies by Nychid he stops by her for a second,Thank you Mrs. Nychid. I'd hug you, but my claws are full. Spark gives a slightly embarrassed smile. before he joins his friends.

Emperor Ing
2014-07-02, 07:29 PM
Don't worry Spark, i'll hug her for you! Adepha gives the Changling librarian a hug. Thank you again Ms. Nychid. You're really cool. Afterwards Adepha follows her friends to the old theater.

DigoDragon
2014-07-02, 07:47 PM
"I hope no one is playing today," Sabina says. "It be a bit of a mess to have us poking around the stage when they're trying to perform."

Humble Master
2014-07-02, 08:49 PM
Nychid bids you farewell and you make your way out of the library and to the south eastern part of town. You soon find the amphitheater, a large stone structure with swooping architecture and vibrantly painted decorations that has been built into the side of a small hill. A banner showing a pony and Changeling putting masks to their face hangs above the stage: "Vanhoover-Olith Theater Guild" The general feel you get is of a kind and open place of entertainment. Nopony seems to be using the stage right now, though there are a number of ponies cleaning up or hanging around in the stands. A stallion with a deep red coat and a maroon mane approaches you. "Hello there. I'm sorry but the youth acting class isn't for another hour and we're still getting the place cleaned up."

DigoDragon
2014-07-02, 09:03 PM
"No worries, we're method actors," Sabina answered. "Actually, we're on a... well it's like a scavenger hunt. You won't mind if we just look around a bit, do you? Promise we won't make a mess."

Rapport: 9
[roll0] +6

Emperor Ing
2014-07-02, 09:09 PM
Actually, we're kind of interested in the history of this theater. Is it true this theater's way older than Vanhoover?

Rater202
2014-07-02, 09:24 PM
we found a box.

It depicts several landmarks around Vanhoover that predate the cities founding and that of Hive Olith.

the box and the land marks must predate Olith by at least a few centuries, dating them to the classical or even preclassical eras.

One of the landmarks was a crystal tree. Poking around the one in the libray, we discovered an ancient Alchemy lab.

One of the Landmarks is an amphitheater.

This theater was repurposed from an old Amphitheater, yes?

Mind if we look around?

[roll0]+4 14

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-02, 10:35 PM
Spark flutters in a bit behind his friends. When but enough for him to catch all of their conversation so far. Yes What they are saying is true. Here is the Box we are talking about. May we please poke around for a little while we won't be long.

banter
[roll0]+7=15
Observation to see if this place looks like the one on the box
[roll1]+2=9

Humble Master
2014-07-02, 10:54 PM
It seems at the mention of Changelings and adventure, the stallion perks up. "Oh! Well, I'll do one better, I'll show you around." He leads the way across the central field of the amphitheater to a door that juts out of the seating area. "My name is Red Chance by the way. And you are right, this structure is older than Vanhoover. When ponies first came here they found it falling apart and what-not. It was decided to restore the amphitheater and use it as the local, well, theater. Funny thing though, the place is a Changeling theater but our good buds the Olithians don't have record of constructing it so looks like you're right about it predating Olith."

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-03, 01:21 AM
Spark slowly follows Red Chance, Thanks for showing us around, any chance, you know of any place that is locked away or you have not been able to remodel around this area yet?

DigoDragon
2014-07-03, 06:24 AM
Sabina quietly follows, looking around for anything out of the ordinary.

Observation~ 11
[roll0] +4

Rater202
2014-07-03, 10:43 AM
Gear is also keeping an eye out for anything unusual.[roll0]+4 12

Emperor Ing
2014-07-03, 10:51 AM
Adepha follows behind, her little wings keeping her above the ground. We think this theater may be older than Olith actually, made by builders from a hive called Darlok.

DigoDragon
2014-07-03, 11:20 AM
"Darrr-lok," Sabina whispers strongly for no reason other than it sounded like a cool word that an evil mastermind would say.

Emperor Ing
2014-07-03, 12:11 PM
It does sound very evil doesn't it? Adepha confirms. Dar-lock. Daaaaar....lok. I'm the queen of hive Daaaaar-Lok. Mwahahaha!

DigoDragon
2014-07-03, 12:22 PM
"Hee hee, that's pretty convincing," Sabina said. "Good thing you don't have an evil twin."

Emperor Ing
2014-07-03, 12:27 PM
Adepha shoots Sabina a malicious grin. Oh you don't know that! I could be anyling, and there's nothing you can do to stop my evil plan now! After her confession, the nymph gives a very un-villain-like giggle.

Humble Master
2014-07-03, 02:20 PM
Red Chance laughs at the exchange "We had better watch out for whatever evil this little nymph is plotting! Ahh, youth. So much to do, so many avenues to go down. Your life lies before you an unblazed trail and you have freedom to set off in whatever direction you wish! Yet, without direction you find yourself walking in circles..." the stallion seems to have lost some of his cheer "Eh, sorry about that soliloquy. Sometimes you just have to speak your mind, you know? But anyway, there aren't any areas we haven't explored and renovated. When the place was first found there were a collection of underground room that had some really old Changeling plays in them thought. It's were that local legend about The Pile of Masks came from." "OO! OO! Changeling plays!" Subtle exclaimed. She was just having a wonderful time learning about all of this forgotten Changeling lore. "Maybe we could check that out."

Rater202
2014-07-03, 02:28 PM
*Intrigued Sparkling* The Pile of Masks?

Clearly the thousand+ year old colt has yet to here this local legend.

DigoDragon
2014-07-03, 02:31 PM
"Sounds like the best place to start."

Emperor Ing
2014-07-03, 02:42 PM
When did you become interested in Changling plays, Subtle?

I don't think i've heard about the Pile of Masks though...

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-03, 04:10 PM
Spark floats on with his friends.

Humble Master
2014-07-03, 04:44 PM
"I've always been interested in Changeling culture since I moved to Vanhoover." Subtle said simply. "I just haven't gotten many opportunities to so actively explore it. Usually I just read books from the library about stuff like cocoons and Hive organization." "I remember once when I was young wanting to grow up to be a Changeling, but that's a different story. Anyway, this is the basement we repurposed." Red Chance opens the door and leads you down a flight of stairs that twists back on itself. You find yourselves in a complex of rooms under the amphitheater that seem to be used as dressing rooms, storage and practice areas. It is an odd mix of Changeling architecture with organic curves and bioluminescent lighting paired with wooden wardrobes full of costumes and half painted stage sets. Finally, you come to a room that looks almost like a library, shelves stuffed with play manuscripts. Some, you notice, are written on the carapace paper you found in the labs. "And now for the legend of The Pile of Masks!" Red Chance takes a dramatic pose as he prepares his tale. "One of the plays we originally found was most unusual. Titled A Pile of Masks, it's plot revolved around a pair of Changeling love-thieves who masqueraded as actors and snuck into the cast of a big production. When people say actors put emotion into their performance, it is apparently true. Must be why Changelings like theater so much. Anyway, the play is very odd for a Changeling piece; it condemned the practice of deception and subterfuge. The climax is when the two Changelings are so engrossed in their performance for the play one accidentally overfeeds on the other, and kills him. But here is were the legend came from. The final scene of the play is set on a practice stage eerily similar to the one we found built in the basement."

Rater202
2014-07-03, 05:21 PM
Is that stage still here? Or if not, could you show us where it used to be?

Emperor Ing
2014-07-03, 05:41 PM
You don't think it's based on a true story...? Adepha offers, however the grim implications of that don't really occur to her until a bit later....hope not.

DigoDragon
2014-07-03, 07:24 PM
"Could be true, could be... um, not true. An interesting story at least."

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-03, 09:02 PM
I will have to see it to understand, but why would two changlings be feeding on each other.

Emperor Ing
2014-07-03, 09:12 PM
We can't eat changling emotions. Well, we can but they're...tasteless and empty. It's hard to describe.

Rater202
2014-07-03, 09:26 PM
Like diet cola?

Humble Master
2014-07-03, 10:14 PM
"Interesting is one way to put it. Bizarre is another." Red Chance nodded "Yes, my any measure a strange tale which is why it became a legend around here. As for the Changeling-on-Changeling feeding I seem to recall from the play that the victim Changeling's acting was so convincing, so filled with feeling and empathy, the other, similarly enthralled by their performance, for a split second forgot they were a Changeling. Their instincts kicked in to feed I suppose. Could just be a work of fiction, noling has tried to replicate the stunt for obvious reasons." the troubadour lead you to a side room that held a small stone practice stage. Thrown into corners were spare costumes and a bust of a Changeling came out of the wall and seemed to stare at the stage. Below the bust hang a manuscript from the wall. "Well, here is the practice stage that is so similar to the one in the final scene of the play. A copy of A Pile of Mask hangs right there. It's become sort of a local good luck charm."

Rater202
2014-07-03, 10:32 PM
Gear trots over to the Changeling bust,looks it over, and gives it a gentile tap with his prosthetic hoof, before examines the bust and the area around it for anything that might indicate a secret passagewayInvestigation for the bust [roll0]+4 7
Construction for the rest of the stage [roll1]+14 24 crit!

DigoDragon
2014-07-03, 11:08 PM
Like diet cola?

Sabina tries hard to suppress a laugh. She walks over to the pile of costumes and rummages through them for anything interesting.

[roll0] +4

Emperor Ing
2014-07-03, 11:39 PM
Adepha also looks through the costumes, wondering if there is anything interesting.

[roll0] 7

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-04, 12:07 AM
Spark also moves in to investigate the room and read the play as much as he could, along with anything in changlic.

investigations
[roll0]+2=10
i don't think i need them this episode anymore but here it is
comprehension
[roll1]+7=17

Humble Master
2014-07-04, 08:52 AM
"Well, I'll leave you to look around. Call me if you need anything." Red Chance leaves out the door.

You can't find anything out of the ordinary for the bust aside from the carved Changlic runes and decorative crystal on it's head. The stage is more promising however. You miraculously find a very well concealed trapdoor built into the stage floor. However there is no obvious way to open it.

The costumes appear to be all of filly size, probably for a youth theater or something. The most interesting ones are a black gown, a jester's costume, a formal suit, a Solar Guard costume and a scientist's coat.

The play has been translated so you have no problem reading it. True to Red's word, it is about a pair of Changeling love thieves acting as actors acting in a play. The final scene is of the surviving Changeling mourning her lost partner and delivering a soliloquy. The description of the practice stage in the play really is eerily similar, right down the Changeling bust on the wall.

DigoDragon
2014-07-04, 10:07 AM
Sabina puts on the Jester's hat. "Hmm, so other than recreating the play, any ideas where we can get into the secret... whatever place is here?"

cavalieredraghi
2014-07-04, 10:10 AM
Spark starts to suppress a sniffle, as he finishes reading the play. maybe it is the final act of the play we need to recreate, in front of the Changling bust.

DigoDragon
2014-07-04, 10:43 AM
Sabina finishes putting on the jester costume. "Okay, so what do we need to do?"

Rater202
2014-07-04, 10:53 AM
Gear takes a closer look at the crystal in the bust, before telling the others about the trapdoor.

There's a hidden trapdoor in the stage. It could just be like a normal stage trapdoor, or it could lead to a secret location. Either way I can't open it.

This time, focusing specifically on the Crystal. Is it like the ones on Jackie's bust?
[roll0]+5 13

Rater202
2014-07-04, 10:56 AM
Sabina finishes putting on the jester costume. "Okay, so what do we need to do?"

Well fist you've got to take off that costume before we get in trouble...

Emperor Ing
2014-07-04, 11:34 AM
Adepha slips into the scientist lab-coat. We should reverse the polarity, it's the only way to be sure!

Spark starts to suppress a sniffle, as he finishes reading the play. maybe it is the final act of the play we need to recreate, in front of the Changling bust.

Let's, um...not do that. Adepha suppresses a shudder.

Humble Master
2014-07-04, 11:55 AM
She wasn't a Changeling but Subtle still felt a cold run down her back. "Uh, I certainly don't want to act that scene. Maybe we need to act out the very end of the play though, were the surviving Changeling is mourning her dead partner? Isn't that the scene Red said was done here?"

The crystal in the Changeling's head is indeed similar to the one you encountered earlier in the Jackie bust.

Rater202
2014-07-04, 12:02 PM
This bust is like Jackie's. It can see things.

I say we go with Subtle's plan.

Is the surviving Changeling male or female?