PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Skinning and tanning rare monsters

arixe
2014-06-25, 02:39 PM
I posted this in another forum but i realized this is probably the best place for it. So my players just whooped a bandersnatch and skinned it. The Duelist wants to make armor out of it and I'm inclined to give it special properties for the encounter, but I'm drawing a blank as far as that goes because it was your standard encounter not a variant. Also our duelists ac is absurd any way so I'm hesitant to give him armor in the first place. Then the ranger also had the idea to make a whip that functioned like the bandersnatches tail as well as sell the parts as spell components and such. Our cleric wants to hold an iron chef thing with the meat and such to inspire some legendary cook, she fancies her self a muse,. Just asking the internet collective their two cents worth to get the creative juices flowing.

Afgncaap5
2014-06-25, 07:07 PM
I posted this in another forum but i realized this is probably the best place for it. So my players just whooped a bandersnatch and skinned it. The Duelist wants to make armor out of it and I'm inclined to give it special properties for the encounter, but I'm drawing a blank as far as that goes because it was your standard encounter not a variant. Also our duelists ac is absurd any way so I'm hesitant to give him armor in the first place. Then the ranger also had the idea to make a whip that functioned like the bandersnatches tail as well as sell the parts as spell components and such. Our cleric wants to hold an iron chef thing with the meat and such to inspire some legendary cook, she fancies her self a muse,. Just asking the internet collective their two cents worth to get the creative juices flowing.

Well... you could theoretically have Profession (Taxidermist) or Profession (Tanner) checks made to see how much bandersnatch can be properly treated after combat. Then there's the Craft (Weaponry) check to turn the tail into a whip. I can't think of much to add that'd fall outside the rules, unless you want to create a special food with an unusual effect that can only be created from recently slain Bandersnatch. (Perhaps with a little nectar taken from a Tum Tum Tree.) I don't have many suggestions off the top of my head, but I always appreciated some of the special meals available in Castle Amber (though you probably don't want to recreate the one that casts a Heal spell at anyone who consumes it.)

Debihuman
2014-06-26, 10:52 AM
Is this for 3.5 or Pathfinder? The rules are slightly different.

In 3.5:
Unless the duelist has the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat, the best he can do is create masterwork leather armor out of the bandersnatch's hide. See Craft (armorsmithing) skill. The DC to craft the armor is 10 + the AC bonus. To add the masterwork quality is 150 gp for a suit of armor and a Craft DC of 20. Since he is making his own suit of armor (and presumably he has to skin and tan the hide himself), you could waive the 150 gp fee.

Debby