PDA

View Full Version : Truenaming for Everyone?

Segev
2014-06-25, 03:30 PM
The conceit behind the Truenamer is that there is this true language of reality called Truespeech which can be used to rewrite and manipulate said reality. This is a cool concept, and I think most people agree the flavor of the class is pretty awesome. It's known, too, that a significant amount of optimization can bring the underwhelming mechanics of the class up to Tier 3, with possible Tier 1 at high level due to Gate.

So, what if Truespeech was a thing that didn't require a class to access? It is, after all, a skill in its own right even as written in the ToM.

Proposal: Any character trained in Truespeech can use any utterance from any lexicon, as long as he can make the DC. With the exception of not needing to "know" the utterance independently of having the Truespeech skill, all the rules for calculating DCs are as they are in the existing RAW for Truenamers.

Truenamers actually can do this, too. They remain, as well, the only class which has Truespeech as a class skill. (Maybe give it to Bards. Maybe.) They can use the skill just like anybody else. In addition, however, the utterances they "know" - henceforth referred to as "have mastered" - from their choices from the various lexicons are still an advantageous trait for them: they may add their Truenamer level to the skill roll to use any utterance they have mastered.

This change expands the Truename Magic to everybody, but keeps it hard to use without extensive investment. It also elevates the Truenamer's focus on this magic to the point that he has a LOT of use out of the utterances he has mastered, and gives him a solid chance at all of them.

atemu1234
2014-06-25, 03:40 PM
It'd be pretty powerful, and it would probably make it very difficult to do anything; anyone who knows your truename can theoretically control you. You could probably increase the power of Truenamer by giving them more bonuses; like half their truenamer level on all truename checks.

Psyren
2014-06-25, 03:50 PM
I like it and think it would be a cool addition to a setting. Of course, you'd have to be okay with Wizards, Cloistered Clerics and Archivists kicking even more ass than ever.

I suggest you include some kind of learning mechanic to keep people from memorizing entire lexicons at first level. Maybe treat utterances like Truespeak skill tricks, where you have to burn 2 ranks on level-up to learn a new one.

Segev
2014-06-25, 04:01 PM
I'll need to go over the lexicons and their associated utterances again; my first-order thought on them is less to prevent the variety and more to rely on the steep scaling of the DCs, particularly with repeated use, to keep them in line. If you're not investing HEAVILY, you're not going to keep up with the DCs as you level.

Is the breadth sufficient and the DC low enough that a first level character who buys a rank or 4 cross-class will suddenly be a powerhouse for that choice of skill point allotment?

sideswipe
2014-06-25, 04:34 PM
Truenamers actually can do this, too. They remain, as well, the only class which has Truespeech as a class skill. (Maybe give it to Bards. Maybe.)

not true, factotums have it as a class skill.

there are many other magic spells with truename components. use them with the feat truespeak (i think) to gain it as a class skill. for example un-name. great spell

Psyren
2014-06-25, 04:56 PM
Is the breadth sufficient and the DC low enough that a first level character who buys a rank or 4 cross-class will suddenly be a powerhouse for that choice of skill point allotment?

Keep in mind that a single feat makes it a class skill and even boosts your backlog as though it had always been trained. Given how bloody hard the DCs are to hit without extreme optimization already, no one in their right mind who actually wanted to use this ability would stick with the cross-class penalty on top of everything else.

weckar
2014-06-25, 08:10 PM
Aren't all the "Word of" spells technically truespeak?

Alex12
2014-06-25, 08:20 PM
not true, factotums have it as a class skill.

Savants (from Dragon Compendium) do too.

You could also argue that Dark Speech/Words of Creation are variants on Truespeech, and thus, should grant the benefits of Truespeech Training.